java broke after 8.04 update - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on java broke after 8.04 update - Ubuntu ; Hi all, Kubuntu 8.04 Firefox 2.0.0.14 Java 6 Any time I browse to a java page I get the old 'additional plugins required etc etc' you get the picture. Java is installed ok, it works with Opera and Opera finds ...

  1. java broke after 8.04 update

    Hi all,

    Kubuntu 8.04
    Firefox 2.0.0.14
    Java 6

    Any time I browse to a java page I get the old 'additional plugins
    required etc etc' you get the picture.

    Java is installed ok, it works with Opera and Opera finds it here
    /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/lib/i386

    Here's the background

    I had Kubuntu 7.10, java via Automatix which worked fine with Kubuntu
    and then did an upgrade to 8.04 which installed Kubuntu 8.04 over the
    top of 7.10

    This installed Firefox 3 beta which I did not like so I uninstalled this
    and reinstalled Firefox 2 which is 2.0.0.14 I'm still with Kubuntu 8.04

    Since that Firefox cannot use Java.

    Any ideas?

    Cheers,

    toe

    http://www.vistaisrubbish.com

  2. Re: java broke after 8.04 update

    On Monday 26 May 2008 11:53 toedipper licked a pencil and jotted:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Kubuntu 8.04
    > Firefox 2.0.0.14
    > Java 6
    >
    > Any time I browse to a java page I get the old 'additional plugins
    > required etc etc' you get the picture.
    >
    > Java is installed ok, it works with Opera and Opera finds it here
    > /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/lib/i386
    >
    > Here's the background
    >
    > I had Kubuntu 7.10, java via Automatix which worked fine with Kubuntu
    > and then did an upgrade to 8.04 which installed Kubuntu 8.04 over the
    > top of 7.10
    >
    > This installed Firefox 3 beta which I did not like so I uninstalled this
    > and reinstalled Firefox 2 which is 2.0.0.14 I'm still with Kubuntu 8.04
    >
    > Since that Firefox cannot use Java.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > toe
    >
    > http://www.vistaisrubbish.com

    Had a similar problem last night. Fixed by adding a link in:

    /home/david/.mozilla/plugins

    /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/plugin/i386/ns7libjavaplugin_oji.so

    Don't copy the file there though.

    As soon as the link was created it appeared in aboutlugins and worked.

    HTH

    David
    --
    Knowledge is of two kinds: we know a subject ourselves, or we know where we
    can find information upon it. (Samuel Johnson)

  3. Re: java broke after 8.04 update

    toedipper illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Kubuntu 8.04
    > Firefox 2.0.0.14
    > Java 6
    >
    > Any time I browse to a java page I get the old 'additional plugins
    > required etc etc' you get the picture.
    >
    > Java is installed ok, it works with Opera and Opera finds it here
    > /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/lib/i386
    >
    > Here's the background
    >
    > I had Kubuntu 7.10, java via Automatix which worked fine with Kubuntu
    > and then did an upgrade to 8.04 which installed Kubuntu 8.04 over the
    > top of 7.10
    >
    > This installed Firefox 3 beta which I did not like so I uninstalled this
    > and reinstalled Firefox 2 which is 2.0.0.14 I'm still with Kubuntu 8.04
    >
    > Since that Firefox cannot use Java.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > toe
    >
    > http://www.vistaisrubbish.com

    The reason it's happening is that you installed by using Automatix.

    It is always advisable to remove automatix and it's changes before
    doing *any* upgrade.

    As for your issue, I see David has given you a possible solution.

    Good luck.

    --
    Moog

    "The G is for the gnarled face of someone who's on ninety thousand
    pounds a week who reckoned he should have had a throw in"

  4. Re: java broke after 8.04 update

    On Monday 26 May 2008 18:35 Moog licked a pencil and jotted:

    > toedipper illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> Kubuntu 8.04
    >> Firefox 2.0.0.14
    >> Java 6
    >>
    >> Any time I browse to a java page I get the old 'additional plugins
    >> required etc etc' you get the picture.
    >>
    >> Java is installed ok, it works with Opera and Opera finds it here
    >> /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/lib/i386
    >>
    >> Here's the background
    >>
    >> I had Kubuntu 7.10, java via Automatix which worked fine with Kubuntu
    >> and then did an upgrade to 8.04 which installed Kubuntu 8.04 over the
    >> top of 7.10
    >>
    >> This installed Firefox 3 beta which I did not like so I uninstalled this
    >> and reinstalled Firefox 2 which is 2.0.0.14 I'm still with Kubuntu 8.04
    >>
    >> Since that Firefox cannot use Java.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> toe
    >>
    >> http://www.vistaisrubbish.com

    > The reason it's happening is that you installed by using Automatix.
    >
    > It is always advisable to remove automatix and it's changes before
    > doing *any* upgrade.
    >
    > As for your issue, I see David has given you a possible solution.
    >
    > Good luck.

    I believe mine also screwed up because I had previously used Automatix, when
    I first started using Ubuntu - it seemed the "easy" way to install stuff
    like java, dvd and mp3 support and so on.

    Some of the stuff it did is still hanging around in my /home like a bad
    smell.

    David
    --
    Knowledge is of two kinds: we know a subject ourselves, or we know where we
    can find information upon it. (Samuel Johnson)
    Only the mediocre are always at their best. (Jean Giraudoux)
    (Reply address genuine - Checked occasionally)

  5. Re: java broke after 8.04 update

    Baldylocks-Ubuntu illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >> The reason it's happening is that you installed by using Automatix.
    >>
    >> It is always advisable to remove automatix and it's changes before
    >> doing *any* upgrade.
    >>
    >> As for your issue, I see David has given you a possible solution.
    >>
    >> Good luck.
    >>

    > I believe mine also screwed up because I had previously used Automatix, when
    > I first started using Ubuntu - it seemed the "easy" way to install stuff
    > like java, dvd and mp3 support and so on.
    >
    > Some of the stuff it did is still hanging around in my /home like a bad
    > smell.

    Using Automatix was a bit like using a sledgehammer to crack an Egg.
    It was effective. Sure. It was a good tool for new users. Sure.

    It was problematic though as instead of using repository packages, it
    insisted on downloading and installing packages from the author rather
    than the team involved with Ubuntu.

    Anyway, it *was* getting better, and had the team stayed together
    would probably be a part of Ubuntu now. This meant that the ubuntu dev
    team could keep an eye on it's methods and correct accordingly.

    The Automatix team, lest we forget, did help an awful lot of people
    convert seemlessly to Ubuntu. So it wasn't all bad.

    --
    Moog

    "The G is for the gnarled face of someone who's on ninety thousand
    pounds a week who reckoned he should have had a throw in"

  6. Re: java broke after 8.04 update

    Moog wrote:

    > The reason it's happening is that you installed by using Automatix.
    >
    > It is always advisable to remove automatix and it's changes before
    > doing *any* upgrade.

    Removing Automatix is mentioned on the Ubuntu upgrade pages in several
    locations.

    It has also been mentioned many, many times in this newsgroup, that
    Automatix is a problem creator, not a problem solver.

    Kinda like the bloke who pulls into a petrol station, but finds they
    have ran out of diesel. Well, he really needs to get on down the road,
    so he decides gasoline will work, and fills his tank.

    _If_ he makes it on down the road, just how far will it be? ;-)

    --
    John

  7. Re: java broke after 8.04 update

    toedipper wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Kubuntu 8.04
    > Firefox 2.0.0.14
    > Java 6
    >
    > Any time I browse to a java page I get the old 'additional plugins
    > required etc etc' you get the picture.
    >
    > Java is installed ok, it works with Opera and Opera finds it here
    > /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/lib/i386
    >
    > Here's the background
    >
    > I had Kubuntu 7.10, java via Automatix which worked fine with Kubuntu
    > and then did an upgrade to 8.04 which installed Kubuntu 8.04 over the
    > top of 7.10
    >
    > This installed Firefox 3 beta which I did not like so I uninstalled
    > this and reinstalled Firefox 2 which is 2.0.0.14 I'm still with
    > Kubuntu 8.04
    >
    > Since that Firefox cannot use Java.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Cheers,