Re: [News] Puppy Linux Team Takes Lessons from Ubuntu - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: [News] Puppy Linux Team Takes Lessons from Ubuntu - Ubuntu ; On Mon, 26 May 2008 04:48:05 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote: > Lessons learned from Ubuntu Don't build a Linux distribution that freezes and lockups causing the users endless hours if not days of frustration. -- Moshe Goldfarb Collector of soaps ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

  1. Re: [News] Puppy Linux Team Takes Lessons from Ubuntu

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  2. Re: [News] Puppy Linux Team Takes Lessons from Ubuntu

    > > Lessons learned from Ubuntu
    > Don't build a Linux distribution that freezes and lockups causing the users
    > endless hours if not days of frustration.

    Whereas if you don't mind a challenge, and don't get upset if it does
    everything you want and more for free...

  3. Re: More Moshe BS.

    On Mon, 26 May 2008 00:43:42 -0400, Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Mon, 26 May 2008 04:48:05 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >

    >> Lessons learned from Ubuntu

    > Don't build a Linux distribution that freezes and lockups causing the
    > users endless hours if not days of frustration.

    Ok.. then don't use Windows.

    --
    Rick

  4. Re: More Moshe BS.

    Rick wrote:
    > On Mon, 26 May 2008 00:43:42 -0400, Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 26 May 2008 04:48:05 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>

    >>> Lessons learned from Ubuntu

    >> Don't build a Linux distribution that freezes and lockups causing the
    >> users endless hours if not days of frustration.

    > Ok.. then don't use Windows.

    Using Hardy 64bit. Yes have had a couple of lockups but it only took a
    few seconds to overcome.
    caver1

  5. Re: More Moshe BS.

    On Mon, 26 May 2008 11:31:10 -0400, caver1 wrote:

    > Rick wrote:

    >>> Don't build a Linux distribution that freezes and lockups causing the
    >>> users endless hours if not days of frustration.

    >> Ok.. then don't use Windows.
    >>

    > Using Hardy 64bit. Yes have had a couple of lockups but it only took a
    > few seconds to overcome.
    > caver1

    Yea.
    Pulling the plug doesn't take too long.

    At least you are honest though.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  6. Re: More Moshe BS.

    On Mon, 26 May 2008 11:53:30 -0400, Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Mon, 26 May 2008 11:31:10 -0400, caver1 wrote:
    >
    >> Rick wrote:

    >>> Ok.. then don't use Windows.
    >>>

    >> Using Hardy 64bit. Yes have had a couple of lockups but it only took a
    >> few seconds to overcome.
    >> caver1

    > Yea.
    > Pulling the plug doesn't take too long.
    >
    > At least you are honest though.

    Why do you an OS you detest?

    --
    Rick

  7. Re: More Moshe BS.

    Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Mon, 26 May 2008 11:31:10 -0400, caver1 wrote:
    >
    >> Rick wrote:

    >>> Ok.. then don't use Windows.
    >>>

    >> Using Hardy 64bit. Yes have had a couple of lockups but it only took a
    >> few seconds to overcome.
    >> caver1

    > Yea.
    > Pulling the plug doesn't take too long.
    >
    > At least you are honest though.

    I haven't seen the plug. I didn't know my computer had one.
    caver1

  8. Re: [News] Puppy Linux Team Takes Lessons from Ubuntu

    Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Mon, 26 May 2008 04:48:05 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >

    >> Lessons learned from Ubuntu

    > Don't build a Linux distribution that freezes and lockups causing the users
    > endless hours if not days of frustration.

    **** OFF MOSHE, YOU ARE WORTHLESS.

    /kill
    /end

  9. Re: [News] Puppy Linux Team Takes Lessons from Ubuntu

    On 2008-05-26, Christopher Hunter wrote:
    > Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> I learned a long time ago that doing things for free, with the exception
    >> of legitimate charities, is no way to succeed in life.

    >> Why?

    > Because you're the type that doesn't give away anything to anyone. Your
    > name suggests that.

    Now, now - How would you like it if people started responding to your
    posts implying that your name suggests that you and your ancestors are
    genocidal monsters? (If it's not obvious, some hints: Anglo Saxons, New
    World, Native Americans.) I'm sure you'd think that's completely
    unreasonable. (I sure would.) So is your suggestion.

    Would you say the same thing to Albert Einstein?

    --

  10. Re: More Moshe BS.

    ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.os.linux.ubuntu.]
    On 2008-05-26, caver1 wrote:
    > Rick wrote:

    >>> Don't build a Linux distribution that freezes and lockups causing the
    >>> users endless hours if not days of frustration.

    >> Ok.. then don't use Windows.
    >>

    > Using Hardy 64bit. Yes have had a couple of lockups but it only took a
    > few seconds to overcome.
    > caver1

    Some of the people posting here about system freezes or lockups may find
    it helpful if you elaborate on how you overcame the problem - assuming
    you found a permanent fix. (If you've already done this in another post -
    nevermind.)

    --

  11. Re: More Moshe BS.

    On 27 May 2008 00:39:09 GMT, Jim Cochrane wrote:

    > ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.os.linux.ubuntu.]
    > On 2008-05-26, caver1 wrote:
    >> Rick wrote:

    >>> Ok.. then don't use Windows.
    >>>

    >> Using Hardy 64bit. Yes have had a couple of lockups but it only took a
    >> few seconds to overcome.
    >> caver1

    > Some of the people posting here about system freezes or lockups may find
    > it helpful if you elaborate on how you overcame the problem - assuming
    > you found a permanent fix. (If you've already done this in another post -
    > nevermind.)

    There doesn't seem to be a fix.

    FWIW the Fedora 9 users seem to be having similar lockup and freeze
    problems with Linux.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  12. Re: [News] Puppy Linux Team Takes Lessons from Ubuntu

    On Mon, 26 May 2008 21:34:55 +0100, Cork Soaker wrote:

    > Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> On Mon, 26 May 2008 04:48:05 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>

    >>> Lessons learned from Ubuntu

    >> Don't build a Linux distribution that freezes and lockups causing the users
    >> endless hours if not days of frustration.
    >>

    > **** OFF MOSHE, YOU ARE WORTHLESS.
    >
    > /kill
    > /end

    So you prefer a Linux distribution that locks up, freezes and causes the
    user endless hours of frustration then.

    Well that certainly explains why Linux is in the sad state it is currently
    in.

    You guys just don't seem to care about quality.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  13. Re: [News] Puppy Linux Team Takes Lessons from Ubuntu

    On 2008-05-27, Jim Cochrane wrote:

    > Would you say the same thing to Albert Einstein?

    While I would agree that the racist slurs were a bit over the edge, I
    would guess that there are a whole slew of Japanese folks that might
    argue that Eisnstein is one of a group of Genocidal monsters
    himself...

    Not that I would share that view, but it is important to remember that
    History is usually written by the victor...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  14. Re: More Moshe BS.

    On 2008-05-27, Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On 27 May 2008 00:39:09 GMT, Jim Cochrane wrote:
    >
    >> ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.os.linux.ubuntu.]

    >>> Using Hardy 64bit. Yes have had a couple of lockups but it only took a
    >>> few seconds to overcome.
    >>> caver1

    >> Some of the people posting here about system freezes or lockups may find
    >> it helpful if you elaborate on how you overcame the problem - assuming
    >> you found a permanent fix. (If you've already done this in another post -
    >> nevermind.)

    > There doesn't seem to be a fix.
    >
    > FWIW the Fedora 9 users seem to be having similar lockup and freeze
    > problems with Linux.

    Do you know if any F9 users who are using the 2.6.25.3 kernel are
    experiencing these problems? (I'm using 2.6.25.3-18 [with AMD Athlon
    3500+] and am having no such problems; but that doesn't prove, of course
    that others are not seeing them.)

    --

  15. Re: [News] Puppy Linux Team Takes Lessons from Ubuntu

    On 2008-05-27, Joe wrote:
    > On 2008-05-27, Jim Cochrane wrote:
    >
    >> Would you say the same thing to Albert Einstein?

    > While I would agree that the racist slurs were a bit over the edge, I
    > would guess that there are a whole slew of Japanese folks that might
    > argue that Eisnstein is one of a group of Genocidal monsters
    > himself...

    I'd guess not a "whole slew", but perhaps some. And you might say
    they're justified in their view - especially if they're survivors or
    relatives of same.

    (It's odd and ironic that I didn't think of that association when I used
    him as an example. Thanks for pointing it out.)

    > Not that I would share that view, but it is important to remember that
    > History is usually written by the victor...

    --

  16. Re: [News] Puppy Linux Team Takes Lessons from Ubuntu

    > So you prefer a Linux distribution that locks up, freezes and causes the
    > user endless hours of frustration then.

    Simple statement of fact:

    * We already put up with it in Windows *

    Haven't you heard of a BSOD ?

    If you haven't seen one, you're one of the few who hasn't, so please
    stop trying to get a FREE product you hate working, and leave it to
    people who are (typically) using and coding it for free - and are
    happy to put up with what *you* think is instability but may not be an
    issue for 99% of the population.

  17. Re: [News] Puppy Linux Team Takes Lessons from Ubuntu

    Colin Wilson wrote:

    >> So you prefer a Linux distribution that locks up, freezes
    >> and causes the user endless hours of frustration then.

    > Simple statement of fact: * We already put up with it in
    > Windows * Haven't you heard of a BSOD ?
    >
    > If you haven't seen one, you're one of the few who hasn't, so
    > please stop trying to get a FREE product you hate working, and
    > leave it to people who are (typically) using and coding it for
    > free - and are happy to put up with what *you* think is
    > instability but may not be an issue for 99% of the population.

    Day before yesterday on the way back, we stopped at a Loves
    petrol station in Boise City, Oklahoma. Son pointed out with a
    sense of humour. The Windows based lottery ticket kiosk was out
    of order, showing BSOD.

    --
    HPT

  18. Re: More Moshe BS.

    Jim Cochrane wrote:

    > Some of the people posting here about system freezes or
    > lockups may find it helpful if you elaborate on how you
    > overcame the problem - assuming you found a permanent fix.
    > (If you've already done this in another post - nevermind.)

    The only freeze ups are mental ones, created by envisioned
    erosion of MSFT stock holdings. If they used the software, they
    would find it quite the opposite. Our Wintrolls have a lurid,
    vivid imagination.

    --
    HPT

  19. Re: [News] Puppy Linux Team Takes Lessons from Ubuntu

    Colin Wilson wrote:

    > Haven't you heard of a BSOD ?
    >
    > If you haven't seen one, you're one of the few who hasn't,

    Then you won't mind not posting to cola or aolu until your XP system blue
    screens?

    Thought so, liar.

  20. Re: [News] Puppy Linux Team Takes Lessons from Ubuntu

    > Then you won't mind not posting to cola or aolu until your XP system blue
    > screens?
    > Thought so, liar.

    Apologies, I didn't realise the other tosser had cross-posted...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast