One improvement for Firefox... - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on One improvement for Firefox... - Ubuntu ; There doesn't seem to be a Firefox newsgroup, so I thought I'd bring this up here. I should be able to move a tab from one window into a new window without having to open a new window, then reload ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

  1. One improvement for Firefox...

    There doesn't seem to be a Firefox newsgroup, so I thought I'd bring
    this up here.

    I should be able to move a tab from one window into a new window
    without having to open a new window, then reload the page.

    Two improvements: windows and tabs should be numbered so I can
    right-click a link and tell it to open in that tab in that window.
    (Actually, this is something IE needed, in Win9x, because each window
    took resources that weren't freed when the window was closed, causing
    the user to need to reboot, if he/she continued to open new windows.)

  2. Re: One improvement for Firefox...

    Todd wrote:
    > There doesn't seem to be a Firefox newsgroup, so I thought I'd bring
    > this up here.
    >
    > I should be able to move a tab from one window into a new window
    > without having to open a new window, then reload the page.

    is it too hard to open a new window and drag the tab into it?

  3. Re: One improvement for Firefox...

    On Sun, 25 May 2008 17:41:07 -0700
    Todd wrote:

    > There doesn't seem to be a Firefox newsgroup, so I thought I'd bring
    > this up here.
    >
    > I should be able to move a tab from one window into a new window
    > without having to open a new window, then reload the page.

  4. Re: One improvement for Firefox...

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.10) Linux 2.6.25.4

  5. Re: One improvement for Firefox...

    On 2008-05-26, User wrote:
    > Todd wrote:
    >> There doesn't seem to be a Firefox newsgroup, so I thought I'd bring
    >> this up here.
    >>
    >> I should be able to move a tab from one window into a new window
    >> without having to open a new window, then reload the page.
    >>

    > is it too hard to open a new window and drag the tab into it?

    I thought the whole point of a tabbed web browser was that you did not have
    keep opening windows, you brought which tab to the front (clicked on it)
    you wanted to focus on.

    Right click to open a link in a new tab. Close tabs as required

  6. Re: One improvement for Firefox...

    Todd wrote:
    > There doesn't seem to be a Firefox newsgroup, so I thought I'd bring
    > this up here.

    That was a really dumb idea.

    Please, for the love of God, run back to Windows now. It's just easier
    that way for us all.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  7. Re: One improvement for Firefox...

    Todd wrote:
    > There doesn't seem to be a Firefox newsgroup, so I thought I'd bring
    > this up here.

    No, there's a couple of complete news *servers* for Mozilla and Netscape
    stuff.

    Bring it up in Google and you'll find information to the servers.

    --
    John

  8. Re: One improvement for Firefox...

    johnny bobby bee wrote:
    > Todd wrote:
    >> There doesn't seem to be a Firefox newsgroup, so I thought I'd bring
    >> this up here.

    > That was a really dumb idea.
    >
    > Please, for the love of God, run back to Windows now. It's just easier
    > that way for us all.

    Windows is not the help for Todd. He obviously has not yet learned how
    to use search engines (read: Google), Wikipedia, and how to find
    relevant newsgroups and/or news servers.

    Until he learns that it is much faster, and generally far more reliable
    for information, he will continue to hang out in an alt newsgroup and
    run to mommy for every little question he may have.

    What bugs me the most is people who are too lazy to look something up
    themselves, so they come begging and causing others to do their legwork.
    Is Todd lazy, or is it he just needs more "pushing" toward the many
    available resources?

    My often-misunderstood remarks are not to condemn these people at all,
    but to try and get them to realize there is a better way to do something.

    It is up to them to choose what they will do.

    --
    John

  9. Re: One improvement for Firefox...

    User wrote:
    > Todd wrote:
    >> There doesn't seem to be a Firefox newsgroup, so I thought I'd bring
    >> this up here.
    >>
    >> I should be able to move a tab from one window into a new window
    >> without having to open a new window, then reload the page.
    >>

    > is it too hard to open a new window and drag the tab into it?

    Probably as hard as it is to find the Firefox newsgroup.
    Try over on news.mozilla.org
    caver1

  10. Re: One improvement for Firefox...

    On Mon, 26 May 2008 10:25:58 +0000, John F. Morse wrote:

    > My often-misunderstood remarks are not to condemn these people at all,
    > but to try and get them to realize there is a better way to do something.

    You mean like fixing your non-Usenet-compliant signature block? The one
    that you've been told numerous times to fix, and simply refuse?

    > It is up to them to choose what they will do.

    Indeed. They (you) look the fools for their choices.

    Now filtering out all posts originating from Google Groups.

  11. Re: One improvement for Firefox...

    Gordon wrote:

    >I thought the whole point of a tabbed web browser was that you did not have
    >keep opening windows, you brought which tab to the front (clicked on it)
    >you wanted to focus on.
    >
    >Right click to open a link in a new tab. Close tabs as required

    Well, when I was trying to decide on a new motherboard yesterday, one
    window was not enough. In this window, I had online retailer #1, with
    tabs open for each board I was considering. In the second window, I
    had online retailer #2. Window 3 had hardware manufacturer MSI, with
    tabs for each board. Window 4 was Asus.

    I still haven't decided on a board.

  12. Re: One improvement for Firefox...

    johnny bobby bee wrote:

    >That was a really dumb idea.
    >
    >Please, for the love of God, run back to Windows now. It's just easier
    >that way for us all.

    Why don't you just shut your bleeping yap unless you have something
    useful to contribute, rather than just insult people for no reason.

    I'm not forcing you to read me posts, but you're damn near forcing me
    to read yours by responding to mine.

  13. Re: One improvement for Firefox...

    "John F. Morse" wrote:

    >Windows is not the help for Todd. He obviously has not yet learned how
    >to use search engines (read: Google), Wikipedia, and how to find
    >relevant newsgroups and/or news servers.

    I used google when I was first trying to find information on
    partitioning schemes for Linux. One of the first few links was a page
    that had to have been nearly 10 years old, so was completely useless.

    I also usually search this newsgroup, but my server saves messages
    from back to 2005. Further back in other newsgroups. I'm not sure
    how pertinent posts from before Oct 2007 are.

    And google groups doesn't carry this group. And when I did a search
    for Linux groups on it, I came up with a lot of crap that had nothing
    to do with Linux.

    >Until he learns that it is much faster, and generally far more reliable
    >for information, he will continue to hang out in an alt newsgroup and
    >run to mommy for every little question he may have.
    >
    >What bugs me the most is people who are too lazy to look something up
    >themselves, so they come begging and causing others to do their legwork.
    >Is Todd lazy, or is it he just needs more "pushing" toward the many
    >available resources?

    I'd be quite happy with links, as long as they actually explain
    things, rather than just say run these commands and you're good to go.
    Particularly if the page is more than a year old. Some servers may
    have gone down or been moved, applications may no longer work in the
    latest version of Linux (Gnome Art).

    >My often-misunderstood remarks are not to condemn these people at all,
    >but to try and get them to realize there is a better way to do something.
    >
    >It is up to them to choose what they will do.

  14. Re: One improvement for Firefox...

    Todd wrote:
    > Well, when I was trying to decide on a new motherboard yesterday, one
    > window was not enough. In this window, I had online retailer #1, with
    > tabs open for each board I was considering. In the second window, I
    > had online retailer #2. Window 3 had hardware manufacturer MSI, with
    > tabs for each board. Window 4 was Asus.

    So, you wanted to drag a good choice from one mfgr
    to another for comparison?

    --
    Wes Groleau
    Genealogical Lookups:

  15. Re: One improvement for Firefox...

    "John F. Morse" wrote:

    >No, there's a couple of complete news *servers* for Mozilla and Netscape
    >stuff.
    >
    >Bring it up in Google and you'll find information to the servers.

    I use Agent 1.92. It only supports one server per install. And I
    haven't found anything else that I like even half as much (not even
    the latest Agent).

    And when I searched Google groups for Linux groups, it listed several
    groups that had nothing to do with Linux. And I was using advanced.

  16. Re: One improvement for Firefox...

    Wes Groleau wrote:

    >So, you wanted to drag a good choice from one mfgr
    >to another for comparison?

    No, it was when I was first starting. I had two pages in one window.
    MSI and NewEgg, and I realized I'd rather have both in their own
    window, so I could alt-tab between the two. Other times, I've been
    several links in from the start page, when I've realized that I want a
    particular tab to be its own window, and I didn't know I could easily
    drag the tab to another window.

    Still, a right-click, "open this tab in new window" would be a bit
    quicker.

  17. Re: One improvement for Firefox...

    Todd wrote:
    > Gordon wrote:
    >
    >> I thought the whole point of a tabbed web browser was that you did not have
    >> keep opening windows, you brought which tab to the front (clicked on it)
    >> you wanted to focus on.
    >>
    >> Right click to open a link in a new tab. Close tabs as required

    > Well, when I was trying to decide on a new motherboard yesterday, one
    > window was not enough. In this window, I had online retailer #1, with
    > tabs open for each board I was considering. In the second window, I
    > had online retailer #2. Window 3 had hardware manufacturer MSI, with
    > tabs for each board. Window 4 was Asus.
    >
    > I still haven't decided on a board.

    ASUS makes good boards, as does Gigabyte. I'm not too crazy about
    Asrock, QDI or MSI.

    Alias

  18. Re: One improvement for Firefox...

    Todd wrote:
    > I wrote:
    >
    >>> Well, when I was trying to decide on a new motherboard yesterday, one
    >>> window was not enough. In this window, I had online retailer #1, with
    >>> tabs open for each board I was considering. In the second window, I
    >>> had online retailer #2. Window 3 had hardware manufacturer MSI, with
    >>> tabs for each board. Window 4 was Asus.

    > Wes Groleau wrote:
    >
    >> So, you wanted to drag a good choice from one mfgr
    >> to another for comparison?

    > No, it was when I was first starting. I had two pages in one window.
    > MSI and NewEgg, and I realized I'd rather have both in their own
    > window, so I could alt-tab between the two. Other times, I've been
    > several links in from the start page, when I've realized that I want a
    > particular tab to be its own window, and I didn't know I could easily
    > drag the tab to another window.
    >
    > Still, a right-click, "open this tab in new window" would be a bit
    > quicker.

    I'm using FF3 and if I right click on a link it gives me the options to
    open in new tab/window and it does work.
    caver1

  19. Re: One improvement for Firefox...

    Todd wrote:
    > There doesn't seem to be a Firefox newsgroup, so I thought I'd bring
    > this up here.
    >
    > I should be able to move a tab from one window into a new window
    > without having to open a new window, then reload the page.

    You can, just install the Tab Mix Plus extension. With single window
    mode disabled, you'll see the option on the tab right click menu to
    duplicate in new window or move to new window.

    --
    [ste]

  20. Re: One improvement for Firefox...

    On Sun, 25 May 2008 17:41:07 -0700, Todd wrote:

    > There doesn't seem to be a Firefox newsgroup, so I thought I'd bring
    > this up here.

    Why? Does your (dumb) question have anything to do with Ubuntu, or even
    Linux in general?

    Nope.

    Bugger off and go bother the other Win-droids, doofus.