One improvement for Firefox... - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on One improvement for Firefox... - Ubuntu ; [ste parker] wrote: > Todd wrote: >> There doesn't seem to be a Firefox newsgroup, so I thought I'd bring >> this up here. >> >> I should be able to move a tab from one window into a new ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 33 of 33

  1. Re: One improvement for Firefox...

    [ste parker] wrote:
    > Todd wrote:
    >> There doesn't seem to be a Firefox newsgroup, so I thought I'd bring
    >> this up here.
    >>
    >> I should be able to move a tab from one window into a new window
    >> without having to open a new window, then reload the page.

    > You can, just install the Tab Mix Plus extension. With single window
    > mode disabled, you'll see the option on the tab right click menu to
    > duplicate in new window or move to new window.

    Don't need it with FF3.
    caver1

  2. Re: One improvement for Firefox...

    Todd wrote:
    > Gordon wrote:
    >

    >> I thought the whole point of a tabbed web browser was that you did not have
    >> keep opening windows, you brought which tab to the front (clicked on it)
    >> you wanted to focus on.
    >>
    >> Right click to open a link in a new tab. Close tabs as required
    >>

    > Well, when I was trying to decide on a new motherboard yesterday, one
    > window was not enough. In this window, I had online retailer #1, with
    > tabs open for each board I was considering. In the second window, I
    > had online retailer #2. Window 3 had hardware manufacturer MSI, with
    > tabs for each board. Window 4 was Asus.
    >
    > I still haven't decided on a board.

    Try Konqueror.

    You can have multiple tabs, in multiple windows, all in one (split) window.

    Ideal for comparing.

    --
    John

  3. Re: One improvement for Firefox...

    Todd wrote:
    > "John F. Morse" wrote:
    >
    >> No, there's a couple of complete news *servers* for Mozilla and Netscape
    >> stuff.
    >>
    >> Bring it up in Google and you'll find information to the servers.
    >>

    > I use Agent 1.92. It only supports one server per install. And I
    > haven't found anything else that I like even half as much (not even
    > the latest Agent).
    >
    > And when I searched Google groups for Linux groups, it listed several
    > groups that had nothing to do with Linux. And I was using advanced.

    I have a pre-2.0 Agent, that I used for years -- with several news
    servers configured. You just gotta know the trick.

    I read about it again only a couple of days ago, but don't remember
    where. As usual, I tried Google.

    Here's some info I found within 30 seconds:

    1. Create a separate data folder for each user or news server
    (e.g., c:\agent\his and c:\agent\hers). This folder will store the
    databases for the new instance of Agent.

    2. Copy file AGENT.INI from the original data folder to the
    folder you created in step (1).

    3. Create a shortcut for each user or news server with the
    program (e.g., c:\agent\agent.exe) specified as the Target,
    and the user's or news server's folder (e.g., c:\agent\his and
    c:\agent\hers)
    in the \"Start in\" field.

    As I stated, you have not learned the tricks about searching. Once you
    do learn, you will be amazed at the massive amount of information that
    is available.

    Here is the link to the Google page:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=multi...vers+for+agent

    See what I used for the search term, and try to construct your searches
    with more detail in the term.

    Here's another example of what you missed:

    http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Softwa...Clients/Usenet

    Agent is a great news client, but it is not free of cost and it is
    proprietary. Plus it runs on Windows (or under Wine). Those are three
    strikes against it.

    It also fails the standards set by the Good Net-Keeping Seal of
    Approval, although this list is quite old:
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~js/gnksa/gnksa-evaluations.html

    Have you tried Pan? It is very Agent-like. 40tude Dialog can run on
    Wine, and it is free of cost, even though it is proprietary.

    Just exactly what is it about Agent that you feel you can't part with?

    --
    John

  4. Re: GG does not carry a.o.l.u.

    In alt.os.linux.ubuntu, Todd had the audacity to say that:

    > And google groups doesn't carry this group.

    Does anyone else find this fascinating? That GG, the main newsgroup resource
    for the majority (read: MS product users) does not carry the main help ng
    for the most popular Linux distro?

    Does anyone have an explanation for this unusual lapse on Google's part?

    *R* *H*

    --
    "For me, prayer is a surge of the heart; it is a simple look turned toward
    heaven, it is a cry of recognition and of love, embracing both trial and

  5. Re: One improvement for Firefox...

    On 2008-05-26, Todd wrote:
    > "John F. Morse" wrote:
    >
    >>Windows is not the help for Todd. He obviously has not yet learned how
    >>to use search engines (read: Google), Wikipedia, and how to find
    >>relevant newsgroups and/or news servers.

    > I used google when I was first trying to find information on
    > partitioning schemes for Linux. One of the first few links was a page
    > that had to have been nearly 10 years old, so was completely useless.

    Yeah, it's a pain when the top several hits are all old, out-of-date
    articles or sites.

    Sometimes it helps to tune the search - e.g.:

    Linux partitioning 2.6

    to limit the hits only to sites that mention the 2.6.* kernel - or:

    Linux partitioning 2007 OR 2008

    to eliminate sites that don't mention either the year 2007 or 2008. (I
    wish it were possible to use regular expressions in google, so that,
    e.g., instead of:

    something-or-other 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008

    one could type:

    something-or-other 200[5678]

    ..)

    --

  6. Re: One improvement for Firefox...

    Jim Cochrane wrote:
    > On 2008-05-26, Todd wrote:
    >> "John F. Morse" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Windows is not the help for Todd. He obviously has not yet learned how
    >>> to use search engines (read: Google), Wikipedia, and how to find
    >>> relevant newsgroups and/or news servers.

    >> I used google when I was first trying to find information on
    >> partitioning schemes for Linux. One of the first few links was a page
    >> that had to have been nearly 10 years old, so was completely useless.

    > Yeah, it's a pain when the top several hits are all old, out-of-date
    > articles or sites.
    >
    > Sometimes it helps to tune the search - e.g.:
    >
    > Linux partitioning 2.6
    >
    > to limit the hits only to sites that mention the 2.6.* kernel - or:
    >
    > Linux partitioning 2007 OR 2008
    >
    > to eliminate sites that don't mention either the year 2007 or 2008. (I
    > wish it were possible to use regular expressions in google, so that,
    > e.g., instead of:
    >
    > something-or-other 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008
    >
    > one could type:
    >
    > something-or-other 200[5678]
    >
    > .)

    FWIW.....Google Advanced search has date search functions.

  7. Re: GG does not carry a.o.l.u.

    Rockinghorse Winner wrote:
    > Todd had the audacity to say that:
    >
    >> And google groups doesn't carry this group.

    > Does anyone else find this fascinating? That GG, the main newsgroup
    > resource for the majority (read: MS product users) does not carry
    > the main help ng for the most popular Linux distro?
    >
    > Does anyone have an explanation for this unusual lapse on Google's
    > part?

    Don't investigate too far. If you do, they might wake up and
    include it, and you will regret the result. :-)

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  8. Re: One improvement for Firefox...

    On 2008-05-27, propman wrote:
    > Jim Cochrane wrote:

    >>> I used google when I was first trying to find information on
    >>> partitioning schemes for Linux. One of the first few links was a page
    >>> that had to have been nearly 10 years old, so was completely useless.

    >> Yeah, it's a pain when the top several hits are all old, out-of-date
    >> articles or sites.
    >>
    >> Sometimes it helps to tune the search - e.g.:
    >>
    >> Linux partitioning 2.6
    >>
    >> to limit the hits only to sites that mention the 2.6.* kernel - or:
    >>
    >> Linux partitioning 2007 OR 2008
    >>
    >> to eliminate sites that don't mention either the year 2007 or 2008. (I
    >> wish it were possible to use regular expressions in google, so that,
    >> e.g., instead of:
    >>
    >> something-or-other 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008
    >>
    >> one could type:
    >>
    >> something-or-other 200[5678]
    >>
    >> .)
    >>

    > FWIW.....Google Advanced search has date search functions.

    Thanks for pointing that out - I wasn't aware of that. I wonder what it
    uses to determine the date/time.

    --

  9. Re: One improvement for Firefox...

    Jim Cochrane wrote:
    > On 2008-05-26, Todd wrote:
    >
    >> "John F. Morse" wrote:
    >>

    >>> Windows is not the help for Todd. He obviously has not yet learned how
    >>> to use search engines (read: Google), Wikipedia, and how to find
    >>> relevant newsgroups and/or news servers.
    >>>

    >> I used google when I was first trying to find information on
    >> partitioning schemes for Linux. One of the first few links was a page
    >> that had to have been nearly 10 years old, so was completely useless.
    >>

    > Yeah, it's a pain when the top several hits are all old, out-of-date
    > articles or sites.
    >
    > Sometimes it helps to tune the search - e.g.:
    >
    > Linux partitioning 2.6
    >
    > to limit the hits only to sites that mention the 2.6.* kernel - or:
    >
    > Linux partitioning 2007 OR 2008
    >
    > to eliminate sites that don't mention either the year 2007 or 2008. (I
    > wish it were possible to use regular expressions in google, so that,
    > e.g., instead of:
    >
    > something-or-other 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008
    >
    > one could type:
    >
    > something-or-other 200[5678]
    >
    > .)

    You can use - and + to force, and quotes.

    --
    John

  10. Re: One improvement for Firefox...

    caver1 wrote:
    > [ste parker] wrote:
    >> Todd wrote:
    >>> There doesn't seem to be a Firefox newsgroup, so I thought I'd bring
    >>> this up here.
    >>>
    >>> I should be able to move a tab from one window into a new window
    >>> without having to open a new window, then reload the page.

    >> You can, just install the Tab Mix Plus extension. With single window
    >> mode disabled, you'll see the option on the tab right click menu to
    >> duplicate in new window or move to new window.
    >>

    > Don't need it with FF3.

    Interesting to hear, does it come with all the configurability out of
    the box that TMP offers, or just some of it?

    --
    [ste]

  11. Re: One improvement for Firefox...

    [ste parker] wrote:
    > caver1 wrote:
    >> [ste parker] wrote:

    >>> You can, just install the Tab Mix Plus extension. With single window
    >>> mode disabled, you'll see the option on the tab right click menu to
    >>> duplicate in new window or move to new window.
    >>>

    >> Don't need it with FF3.

    > Interesting to hear, does it come with all the configurability out of
    > the box that TMP offers, or just some of it?

    Just some as I was trying to respond to the ops requests on opening in
    new tab/window or same. I don't use TMP so I don't know all of its
    features.
    I misunderstood about the duplicate function.
    caver1

    Todd wrote:
    > No, it was when I was first starting. I had two pages in one window.
    > MSI and NewEgg, and I realized I'd rather have both in their own
    > window, so I could alt-tab between the two...

    (Y'all probably scared Todd off but...)

    Ctrl+Tab cycles through tabs in Firefox (&& Ctrl+Shift+Tab cycles backwards)

  13. Re: One improvement for Firefox...

    * Todd wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > "John F. Morse" wrote:
    >
    >>No, there's a couple of complete news *servers* for Mozilla and

    Netscape
    >>stuff.
    >>
    >>Bring it up in Google and you'll find information to the servers.

    > I use Agent 1.92. It only supports one server per install. And I
    > haven't found anything else that I like even half as much (not even
    > the latest Agent).
    >
    > And when I searched Google groups for Linux groups, it listed several
    > groups that had nothing to do with Linux. And I was using advanced.

    How were you using Advanced?

    in:
    Return only messages from the group at this location

    put *os.linux*

    or use:

    http://www.google.com/linux

    here is a list of viable groups: