Another problem with Sudo - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Another problem with Sudo - Ubuntu ; Here's one more reason why I do not like the principle of supplying user's own password for sudo instead of root password as in su. My son has an account on my machine. He is obviously NOT in sudoers as ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 77

  1. Another problem with Sudo

    Here's one more reason why I do not like the principle of supplying
    user's own password for sudo instead of root password as in su.

    My son has an account on my machine. He is obviously NOT in sudoers as
    he has no business being root. He played some online games logged on
    as himself and needed a firefox plugin.

    Firefox said he needed a plugin and to click to install it (but
    firefox did not give a package name). I clicked and package management
    app came up, and asked for HIS password to get privileges.

    I entered his password, but, obviously, he was not granted any
    privileges since he was not in sudoers.

    Geez.

    So how do I install those plugins for him?

    If that thing was asking for root password instead, I would enter the
    root password and we'd be done in 1 minute. Instead I had to waste a
    lot more time with su, aptitude search etc.

    And, ultimately, if that GUI sudo gave me an option to enter the root
    password, I would be happy also.

    But no such thing.
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  2. Re: Another problem with Sudo

    Ignoramus20433 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Here's one more reason why I do not like the principle of supplying
    > user's own password for sudo instead of root password as in su.
    >
    > My son has an account on my machine. He is obviously NOT in sudoers as
    > he has no business being root. He played some online games logged on
    > as himself and needed a firefox plugin.
    >
    > Firefox said he needed a plugin and to click to install it (but
    > firefox did not give a package name). I clicked and package management
    > app came up, and asked for HIS password to get privileges.
    >
    > I entered his password, but, obviously, he was not granted any
    > privileges since he was not in sudoers.
    >
    > Geez.
    >
    > So how do I install those plugins for him?
    >
    > If that thing was asking for root password instead, I would enter the
    > root password and we'd be done in 1 minute. Instead I had to waste a
    > lot more time with su, aptitude search etc.
    >
    > And, ultimately, if that GUI sudo gave me an option to enter the root
    > password, I would be happy also.
    >
    > But no such thing.

    Good lord,

    ctl-alt-F1 to get to another tty session.

    Log in as yourself.

    $ sudo apt-get install

    $ exit

    ctrl-alt-F7 to return to your sons session.

    Difficult? Surely not.

    Why would enabling root use in a non-sudoer account have made your
    task *any* easier?

    --
    Moog

    "The G is for the gnarled face of someone who's on ninety thousand
    pounds a week who reckoned he should have had a throw in"

  3. Re: Another problem with Sudo

    Ignoramus20433 wrote:
    > Here's one more reason why I do not like the principle of supplying
    > user's own password for sudo instead of root password as in su.
    >
    > My son has an account on my machine. He is obviously NOT in sudoers as
    > he has no business being root. He played some online games logged on
    > as himself and needed a firefox plugin.
    >
    > Firefox said he needed a plugin and to click to install it (but
    > firefox did not give a package name). I clicked and package management
    > app came up, and asked for HIS password to get privileges.
    >
    > I entered his password, but, obviously, he was not granted any
    > privileges since he was not in sudoers.
    >
    > Geez.
    >
    > So how do I install those plugins for him?
    >
    > If that thing was asking for root password instead, I would enter the
    > root password and we'd be done in 1 minute. Instead I had to waste a
    > lot more time with su, aptitude search etc.
    >
    > And, ultimately, if that GUI sudo gave me an option to enter the root
    > password, I would be happy also.
    >
    > But no such thing.

    It seems simple. Log him out, reboot with your credentials, install the
    plugin, log out and let him log back in.
    What problem?

    Bill Baka

  4. Re: Another problem with Sudo

    On 2008-05-24, Moog wrote:
    > Ignoramus20433 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Here's one more reason why I do not like the principle of supplying
    >> user's own password for sudo instead of root password as in su.
    >>
    >> My son has an account on my machine. He is obviously NOT in sudoers as
    >> he has no business being root. He played some online games logged on
    >> as himself and needed a firefox plugin.
    >>
    >> Firefox said he needed a plugin and to click to install it (but
    >> firefox did not give a package name). I clicked and package management
    >> app came up, and asked for HIS password to get privileges.
    >>
    >> I entered his password, but, obviously, he was not granted any
    >> privileges since he was not in sudoers.
    >>
    >> Geez.
    >>
    >> So how do I install those plugins for him?
    >>
    >> If that thing was asking for root password instead, I would enter the
    >> root password and we'd be done in 1 minute. Instead I had to waste a
    >> lot more time with su, aptitude search etc.
    >>
    >> And, ultimately, if that GUI sudo gave me an option to enter the root
    >> password, I would be happy also.
    >>
    >> But no such thing.

    > Good lord,
    >
    > ctl-alt-F1 to get to another tty session.
    >
    > Log in as yourself.
    >
    > $ sudo apt-get install
    >
    > $ exit
    >
    > ctrl-alt-F7 to return to your sons session.
    >
    > Difficult? Surely not.
    >
    > Why would enabling root use in a non-sudoer account have made your
    > task *any* easier?

    Because I was not actually given package name. If I was, I would not
    be complaining. And I did as you suggested: opened terminal, typed su
    -, found out the package name, and installed. But the option of being
    able to enter root password, would be useful.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  5. Re: Another problem with Sudo

    On 2008-05-24, Bill wrote:
    > Ignoramus20433 wrote:
    >> Here's one more reason why I do not like the principle of supplying
    >> user's own password for sudo instead of root password as in su.
    >>
    >> My son has an account on my machine. He is obviously NOT in sudoers as
    >> he has no business being root. He played some online games logged on
    >> as himself and needed a firefox plugin.
    >>
    >> Firefox said he needed a plugin and to click to install it (but
    >> firefox did not give a package name). I clicked and package management
    >> app came up, and asked for HIS password to get privileges.
    >>
    >> I entered his password, but, obviously, he was not granted any
    >> privileges since he was not in sudoers.
    >>
    >> Geez.
    >>
    >> So how do I install those plugins for him?
    >>
    >> If that thing was asking for root password instead, I would enter the
    >> root password and we'd be done in 1 minute. Instead I had to waste a
    >> lot more time with su, aptitude search etc.
    >>
    >> And, ultimately, if that GUI sudo gave me an option to enter the root
    >> password, I would be happy also.
    >>
    >> But no such thing.

    > It seems simple. Log him out, reboot with your credentials, install the
    > plugin, log out and let him log back in.
    > What problem?

    The problem is the amount of time and hassle to do it. That's how
    things are done in Windows XP (and that's why Windows users have to be
    administrators to do anything)

    As opposed to other unix solution, which is to supply a root password
    to get root credentials.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  6. Re: Another problem with Sudo

    Ignoramus20433 wrote:
    > On 2008-05-24, Bill wrote:
    >> Ignoramus20433 wrote:
    >>> Here's one more reason why I do not like the principle of supplying
    >>> user's own password for sudo instead of root password as in su.
    >>>
    >>> My son has an account on my machine. He is obviously NOT in sudoers as
    >>> he has no business being root. He played some online games logged on
    >>> as himself and needed a firefox plugin.
    >>>
    >>> Firefox said he needed a plugin and to click to install it (but
    >>> firefox did not give a package name). I clicked and package management
    >>> app came up, and asked for HIS password to get privileges.
    >>>
    >>> I entered his password, but, obviously, he was not granted any
    >>> privileges since he was not in sudoers.
    >>>
    >>> Geez.
    >>>
    >>> So how do I install those plugins for him?
    >>>
    >>> If that thing was asking for root password instead, I would enter the
    >>> root password and we'd be done in 1 minute. Instead I had to waste a
    >>> lot more time with su, aptitude search etc.
    >>>
    >>> And, ultimately, if that GUI sudo gave me an option to enter the root
    >>> password, I would be happy also.
    >>>
    >>> But no such thing.

    >> It seems simple. Log him out, reboot with your credentials, install the
    >> plugin, log out and let him log back in.
    >> What problem?

    > The problem is the amount of time and hassle to do it.

    5 minutes is a hassle?

    That's how
    > things are done in Windows XP (and that's why Windows users have to be
    > administrators to do anything)

    I know since I have to be the administrator on my own machine. It's the
    reboot after everything that I hate.

    > As opposed to other unix solution, which is to supply a root password
    > to get root credentials.

    Yes, but that is UNIX, which is usually at work, and you don't want to
    have somebody stop all their work so you can reboot after a change.
    Different circumstances.
    Bill Baka

  7. Re: Another problem with Sudo

    On 2008-05-24, Bill wrote:
    > Ignoramus20433 wrote:

    >>> It seems simple. Log him out, reboot with your credentials, install the
    >>> plugin, log out and let him log back in.
    >>> What problem?

    >> The problem is the amount of time and hassle to do it.

    > 5 minutes is a hassle?

    of course.

    > That's how
    >> things are done in Windows XP (and that's why Windows users have to be
    >> administrators to do anything)

    > I know since I have to be the administrator on my own machine. It's the
    > reboot after everything that I hate.

    In this instance, reboot is not needed. All that is needed is restart
    of Firefox.

    >> As opposed to other unix solution, which is to supply a root password
    >> to get root credentials.
    >>

    > Yes, but that is UNIX, which is usually at work, and you don't want to
    > have somebody stop all their work so you can reboot after a change.
    > Different circumstances.
    > Bill Baka

    No reboot is needed here.
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  8. Re: Another problem with Sudo

    Ignoramus20433 wrote:
    > On 2008-05-24, Bill wrote:
    >> Ignoramus20433 wrote:

    >>> The problem is the amount of time and hassle to do it.

    >> 5 minutes is a hassle?

    > of course.
    >
    >> That's how
    >>> things are done in Windows XP (and that's why Windows users have to be
    >>> administrators to do anything)

    >> I know since I have to be the administrator on my own machine. It's the
    >> reboot after everything that I hate.

    > In this instance, reboot is not needed. All that is needed is restart
    > of Firefox.
    >
    >>> As opposed to other unix solution, which is to supply a root password
    >>> to get root credentials.
    >>>

    >> Yes, but that is UNIX, which is usually at work, and you don't want to
    >> have somebody stop all their work so you can reboot after a change.
    >> Different circumstances.
    >> Bill Baka

    > No reboot is needed here.

    Not a system reboot, but just a Firefox restart. I don't remember ever
    having to give a root password to add a feature to Firefox.
    ??????
    Bill Baka

  9. Re: Another problem with Sudo

    On Sat, 24 May 2008 10:44:27 -0500, Ignoramus20433 wrote:

    > Here's one more reason why I do not like the principle of supplying
    > user's own password for sudo instead of root password as in su.
    >
    > My son has an account on my machine. He is obviously NOT in sudoers as
    > he has no business being root. He played some online games logged on as
    > himself and needed a firefox plugin.
    >
    > Firefox said he needed a plugin and to click to install it (but firefox
    > did not give a package name). I clicked and package management app came
    > up, and asked for HIS password to get privileges.
    >
    > I entered his password, but, obviously, he was not granted any
    > privileges since he was not in sudoers.
    >
    > Geez.
    >
    > So how do I install those plugins for him?
    >
    > If that thing was asking for root password instead, I would enter the
    > root password and we'd be done in 1 minute. Instead I had to waste a lot
    > more time with su, aptitude search etc.
    >
    > And, ultimately, if that GUI sudo gave me an option to enter the root
    > password, I would be happy also.
    >
    > But no such thing.

    I think if you look up the docs for sudo, you'll find it can be set up
    either way - I know other distros set it up so you enter root's password.
    I suspect it's a simple change to the /etc/sudoers file.

  10. Re: Another problem with Sudo

    On 2008-05-24, ray wrote:
    > On Sat, 24 May 2008 10:44:27 -0500, Ignoramus20433 wrote:
    >
    >> Here's one more reason why I do not like the principle of supplying
    >> user's own password for sudo instead of root password as in su.
    >>
    >> My son has an account on my machine. He is obviously NOT in sudoers as
    >> he has no business being root. He played some online games logged on as
    >> himself and needed a firefox plugin.
    >>
    >> Firefox said he needed a plugin and to click to install it (but firefox
    >> did not give a package name). I clicked and package management app came
    >> up, and asked for HIS password to get privileges.
    >>
    >> I entered his password, but, obviously, he was not granted any
    >> privileges since he was not in sudoers.
    >>
    >> Geez.
    >>
    >> So how do I install those plugins for him?
    >>
    >> If that thing was asking for root password instead, I would enter the
    >> root password and we'd be done in 1 minute. Instead I had to waste a lot
    >> more time with su, aptitude search etc.
    >>
    >> And, ultimately, if that GUI sudo gave me an option to enter the root
    >> password, I would be happy also.
    >>
    >> But no such thing.

    > I think if you look up the docs for sudo, you'll find it can be set up
    > either way - I know other distros set it up so you enter root's password.
    > I suspect it's a simple change to the /etc/sudoers file.

    If this is the case, then I will be delighted. Let me see.
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  11. Re: Another problem with Sudo

    On 2008-05-24, ray wrote:
    > I think if you look up the docs for sudo, you'll find it can be set up
    > either way - I know other distros set it up so you enter root's password.
    > I suspect it's a simple change to the /etc/sudoers file.

    Ray, this is awesome! I am very happy!

    I had to add a line:

    Defaults rootpw

    with this, I think that I can safely make my son member of sudoers,
    since he won't know the root password anyway.
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  12. Re: Another problem with Sudo

    On Sat, 24 May 2008 10:44:27 -0500, Ignoramus20433 wrote:

    > My son has an account on my machine. He is obviously NOT in sudoers as
    > he has no business being root. He played some online games logged on as
    > himself and needed a firefox plugin.
    >
    > Firefox said he needed a plugin and to click to install it (but firefox
    > did not give a package name). I clicked and package management app came
    > up, and asked for HIS password to get privileges.
    >
    > I entered his password, but, obviously, he was not granted any
    > privileges since he was not in sudoers.

    What plugin is this that requires root privileges?

    --
    // This is my opinion.

  13. Re: Another problem with Sudo

    Ignoramus20433 wrote:
    > Here's one more reason why I do not like the principle of supplying
    > user's own password for sudo instead of root password as in su.
    >
    > My son has an account on my machine. He is obviously NOT in sudoers as
    > he has no business being root. He played some online games logged on
    > as himself and needed a firefox plugin.
    >
    > Firefox said he needed a plugin and to click to install it (but
    > firefox did not give a package name). I clicked and package management
    > app came up, and asked for HIS password to get privileges.
    >
    > I entered his password, but, obviously, he was not granted any
    > privileges since he was not in sudoers.
    >
    > Geez.
    >
    > So how do I install those plugins for him?
    >
    > If that thing was asking for root password instead, I would enter the
    > root password and we'd be done in 1 minute. Instead I had to waste a
    > lot more time with su, aptitude search etc.
    >
    > And, ultimately, if that GUI sudo gave me an option to enter the root
    > password, I would be happy also.
    >
    > But no such thing.

    RTFM!

    --
    John

  14. Re: Another problem with Sudo

    Ignoramus20433 wrote:
    > On 2008-05-24, Bill wrote:
    >
    >> Ignoramus20433 wrote:
    >>
    >>> Here's one more reason why I do not like the principle of supplying
    >>> user's own password for sudo instead of root password as in su.
    >>>
    >>> My son has an account on my machine. He is obviously NOT in sudoers as
    >>> he has no business being root. He played some online games logged on
    >>> as himself and needed a firefox plugin.
    >>>
    >>> Firefox said he needed a plugin and to click to install it (but
    >>> firefox did not give a package name). I clicked and package management
    >>> app came up, and asked for HIS password to get privileges.
    >>>
    >>> I entered his password, but, obviously, he was not granted any
    >>> privileges since he was not in sudoers.
    >>>
    >>> Geez.
    >>>
    >>> So how do I install those plugins for him?
    >>>
    >>> If that thing was asking for root password instead, I would enter the
    >>> root password and we'd be done in 1 minute. Instead I had to waste a
    >>> lot more time with su, aptitude search etc.
    >>>
    >>> And, ultimately, if that GUI sudo gave me an option to enter the root
    >>> password, I would be happy also.
    >>>
    >>> But no such thing.
    >>>

    >> It seems simple. Log him out, reboot with your credentials, install the
    >> plugin, log out and let him log back in.
    >> What problem?
    >>

    > The problem is the amount of time and hassle to do it. That's how
    > things are done in Windows XP (and that's why Windows users have to be
    > administrators to do anything)
    >
    > As opposed to other unix solution, which is to supply a root password
    > to get root credentials.

    What you fail to consider is how much time and hassle your continuous
    stream of questions are to the rest of us.

    Someone said once that there is no "stupid question" but they left it up
    to you to decide if asking the question is stupid.

    so we can help those who need our assistance.

    --
    John

  15. Re: Another problem with Sudo

    On 2008-05-24, John F. Morse wrote:
    > Ignoramus20433 wrote:

    >>> It seems simple. Log him out, reboot with your credentials, install the
    >>> plugin, log out and let him log back in.
    >>> What problem?
    >>>

    >> The problem is the amount of time and hassle to do it. That's how
    >> things are done in Windows XP (and that's why Windows users have to be
    >> administrators to do anything)
    >>
    >> As opposed to other unix solution, which is to supply a root password
    >> to get root credentials.

    > What you fail to consider is how much time and hassle your continuous
    > stream of questions are to the rest of us.
    >
    > Someone said once that there is no "stupid question" but they left it up
    > to you to decide if asking the question is stupid.

    > so we can help those who need our assistance.

    I have used Linux for longer than you knew how to press the POWER
    button on a computer.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  16. Re: Another problem with Sudo

    On Sat, 24 May 2008 10:44:27 -0500, Ignoramus20433 wrote:

    > Firefox said he needed a plugin and to click to install it (but firefox
    > did not give a package name). I clicked and package management app came
    > up, and asked for HIS password to get privileges.

    Login to X using your sudoer account, then open firefox and click on the
    same link. Does that do it.

  17. Re: Another problem with Sudo

    On Sat, 24 May 2008 11:08:46 -0500, Ignoramus20433 wrote:

    > As opposed to other unix solution, which is to supply a root password to
    > get root credentials.

    Oh, I see what you mean. On my debian, it asks for the root password. I
    don't like that because if my regular account has been cracked through a
    flash or something catching key-strokes, they now have root access too.

  18. Re: Another problem with Sudo

    On Sat, 24 May 2008 09:44:51 -0700, Bill wrote:

    > I don't remember ever
    > having to give a root password to add a feature to Firefox. ??????
    > Bill Baka

    I don't think he mean a firefox plugin, I think he meant the package
    manager that pops up and helps you find codecs and such. Am I correct
    ignoramus?

    stonerfish

  19. Re: Another problem with Sudo

    On 2008-05-24, jellybean stonerfish wrote:
    > On Sat, 24 May 2008 11:08:46 -0500, Ignoramus20433 wrote:
    >
    >> As opposed to other unix solution, which is to supply a root password to
    >> get root credentials.

    > Oh, I see what you mean. On my debian, it asks for the root
    > password. I

    which is better

    > don't like that because if my regular account has been cracked through a
    > flash or something catching key-strokes, they now have root access too.

    Then they could capture your password and get root access via sudo.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  20. Re: Another problem with Sudo

    On Sat, 24 May 2008 15:48:02 -0500, Ignoramus20433 wrote:

    >> don't like that because if my regular account has been cracked through
    >> a flash or something catching key-strokes, they now have root access
    >> too.
    >>

    > Then they could capture your password and get root access via sudo.

    I don't log on as the sudoer unless I need to do some administration that
    the gui is easier with. Otherwise I just ctrl-alt-f1 and login to a
    getty as the sudoer.

    sf

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast