7.10 <vs> 8.04 in my laptop - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on 7.10 <vs> 8.04 in my laptop - Ubuntu ; My laptop is a Gateway solo 1400. I first loaded 7.10 before 8.04 was available. It all worked fine except for some problem with wireless. So I updated to 8.10 by doing a clean install from a CD. The problem ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: 7.10 <vs> 8.04 in my laptop

  1. 7.10 <vs> 8.04 in my laptop

    My laptop is a Gateway solo 1400. I first loaded 7.10 before 8.04 was
    available. It all worked fine except for some problem with wireless.

    So I updated to 8.10 by doing a clean install from a CD. The problem with
    the wireless did not go away. And I picked up a new one.

    In 8.04, the CPU was running at 90% with no apps running. Nothing I could
    do would reduce this effect. I then did a clean install from a CD of
    7.10. Then I had to load 255 updates. Got through that. Now the CPU runs
    at 30% or so with no apps running.

    So, I'm sticking with 7.10 on the laptop. 8.04 was not an improvement. It
    slowed everything down with the CPU running at 100% whenever I loaded an
    app. Maybe when 8.10 is released, I'll try it again.

    I'm setting up the laptop so my wife can have an email appliance. She
    doesn't care for anything else.

    I use my mongrel desktop running 7.10 90% of the time. The other 10% of
    the time I use my Mac to process photos with Photoshop. Although GIMP is
    nice, the Photoshop still beats it.

    Al

  2. Re: 7.10 <vs> 8.04 in my laptop

    On Sat, 24 May 2008 00:23:55 +0000, Al wrote:

    > So, I'm sticking with 7.10 on the laptop. 8.04 was not an improvement


    Same here. 8.04 is buggy.



    --
    Jerry Maguire: Help me... help you. Help me, help you. ;-)

  3. Re: 7.10 <vs> 8.04 in my laptop

    On 2008-05-24, Holz wrote:
    > On Sat, 24 May 2008 00:23:55 +0000, Al wrote:
    >
    >> So, I'm sticking with 7.10 on the laptop. 8.04 was not an improvement

    >
    > Same here. 8.04 is buggy.
    >


    I would recommend anyone to wait until some cleanup is done.

    --
    Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their inattention
    to spammers, I and many others block all articles originating
    from Google Groups. If you want your postings to be seen by
    more readers you will need to find a different means of
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  4. Re: 7.10 <vs> 8.04 in my laptop

    Al wrote:

    > In 8.04, the CPU was running at 90% with no apps running. Nothing I
    > could do would reduce this effect.


    Well, you might have been fooled by the buggy gnome-system-monitor. Its
    new white fancy graph for CPU load caused the issue.

    > I then did a clean install from a CD of 7.10. Then I had to load 255
    > updates. Got through that. Now the CPU runs at 30% or so with no apps
    > running.


    You've picked up the fix for

    that makes the problem not so severe.

    Forget gnome-system-monitor, use htop instead.

    Ilja

  5. Re: 7.10 <vs> 8.04 in my laptop

    Al wrote:
    > I use my mongrel desktop running 7.10 90% of the time. The other 10% of
    > the time I use my Mac to process photos with Photoshop. Although GIMP is
    > nice, the Photoshop still beats it.


    Wow, nice rant. What's your point?

    Possibly, even a question perhaps?

    Since we're just stating experiences. Both 7.10 and 8.04 run perfectly
    on my Laptop. Hmm, go figure.

    --
    As we enjoy great advantages from inventions of others, we should be
    glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours;
    and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

  6. Re: 7.10 <vs> 8.04 in my laptop

    Ilja Sekler wrote:

    > Al wrote:
    >
    >> I then did a clean install from a CD of 7.10. Then I had to load
    >> 255 updates. Got through that. Now the CPU runs at 30% or so with
    >> no apps running.

    >
    > You've picked up the fix for
    >
    > that makes the problem not so severe.


    I've misread the sentence and have written rubbish. The answer would
    make sense for 8.04, not for 7.10.

    But the point is still valid: gnome-system-monitor on 8.04 is the
    culprit for the high CPU load, don't use it.

  7. Re: 7.10 <vs> 8.04 in my laptop

    On Sat, 24 May 2008 08:23:58 +0000, johnny bobby bee wrote:

    > Al wrote:
    >> I use my mongrel desktop running 7.10 90% of the time. The other 10% of
    >> the time I use my Mac to process photos with Photoshop. Although GIMP
    >> is nice, the Photoshop still beats it.

    >
    > Wow, nice rant. What's your point?
    >
    > Possibly, even a question perhaps?
    >
    > Since we're just stating experiences. Both 7.10 and 8.04 run perfectly
    > on my Laptop. Hmm, go figure.


    Yup, different people have different experiences with their equipment.

    I'm just stating facts. I was and still am a Mac user, but Ubuntu has won
    me over. But as far as the average user is concerned, it is still not
    ready for prime time.

    As another example, I still haven't gotten MythTV to work. But the HDTV
    USB stick I got for my Mac worked right out of the box, go figure.

    Al

    Al

  8. Re: 7.10 <vs> 8.04 in my laptop

    Al wrote:
    > I'm just stating facts. I was and still am a Mac user, but Ubuntu has won
    > me over. But as far as the average user is concerned, it is still not
    > ready for prime time.


    I totally disagree. The 'average' user does Email, Word processing, and
    surfing. Ubuntu outshines any OS on those criteria.

    I have a Mac, still with Jaguar (10.2). I still use it, and used to use
    it exclusively, when I was fed up with Windows. But Linux has changed my
    life completely. I'm not saying I'll never buy a Mac again, but the
    politics of Steve Jobs and his proprietary ways don't sit well with me.
    Still no iTunes for Linux. What an asshole.

    > As another example, I still haven't gotten MythTV to work. But the HDTV
    > USB stick I got for my Mac worked right out of the box, go figure.


    Then get one of the many well supported hauppauge cards that does work
    with Linux. They don't all work on Macs either, you know. For instance
    this one:
    http://techpark6.com/usb-hdtv-tuner-...v-hvr-950.html

    --
    As we enjoy great advantages from inventions of others, we should be
    glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours;
    and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

  9. Re: 7.10 <vs> 8.04 in my laptop

    On Sat, 24 May 2008 22:58:01 GMT, johnny bobby bee
    wrote:

    >Al wrote:
    >> I'm just stating facts. I was and still am a Mac user, but Ubuntu has won
    >> me over. But as far as the average user is concerned, it is still not
    >> ready for prime time.

    >
    >I totally disagree. The 'average' user does Email, Word processing, and
    >surfing. Ubuntu outshines any OS on those criteria.
    >
    >I have a Mac, still with Jaguar (10.2). I still use it, and used to use
    >it exclusively, when I was fed up with Windows. But Linux has changed my
    >life completely. I'm not saying I'll never buy a Mac again, but the
    >politics of Steve Jobs and his proprietary ways don't sit well with me.
    >Still no iTunes for Linux. What an asshole.


    I did see a site some time ago that explains how to install iTunes
    under Wine. Didn't bookmark it and don't remember the site -
    sorry :-(

    >
    >> As another example, I still haven't gotten MythTV to work. But the HDTV
    >> USB stick I got for my Mac worked right out of the box, go figure.

    >
    >Then get one of the many well supported hauppauge cards that does work
    >with Linux. They don't all work on Macs either, you know. For instance
    >this one:
    >http://techpark6.com/usb-hdtv-tuner-...v-hvr-950.html


    Roy Strachan - Registered Linux User 469226

+ Reply to Thread