X10 home automation software in 8.04 - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on X10 home automation software in 8.04 - Ubuntu ; Hi, In Feisty, I saw an application to control X10 home automation controllers. I now actually bought an X10 CM11F-USB controller, but the X10 apllication dissapeared from the hardy repo's. The application had a gui in which you could program ...

  1. X10 home automation software in 8.04

    Hi,

    In Feisty, I saw an application to control X10 home automation controllers.
    I now actually bought an X10 CM11F-USB controller, but the X10 apllication
    dissapeared from the hardy repo's.

    The application had a gui in which you could program the different home
    automation objects.
    Unfortunately, I forgot the name of the application.
    Does anyone use such an application ?

    How can I look into the feisty or gutsy repo's for this application, when
    I'm running Kubuntu Hardy ?
    I I find it in a feisty repo, would I still be able to install it in hardy ?

    --
    MarcB

  2. Re: X10 home automation software in 8.04

    MarcB wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > In Feisty, I saw an application to control X10 home automation controllers.
    > I now actually bought an X10 CM11F-USB controller, but the X10 apllication
    > dissapeared from the hardy repo's.
    >
    > The application had a gui in which you could program the different home
    > automation objects.
    > Unfortunately, I forgot the name of the application.
    > Does anyone use such an application ?

    Google Advanced search returns quite a few hits on this topic. Here's
    few for your perusing pleasure:

    http://hackyourworld.com/?cat=9
    http://packages.ubuntu.com/x10
    http://blog.dansnetwork.com/page/3/
    http://www.linuxlinks.com/Software/H...on/Automation/

    Synaptic package manager returns this entry:

    Utility to control X10 Firecracker devices for home automation
    A command-line utility to interact with the Firecracker version of
    X10's home control devices (wireless home automation to control lights,
    cameras, appliances via a small transmitter that plugs into the standard
    RS-232 serial port of a computer).

    Also included is rocket launcher, a graphical frontend to bottlerocket.
    If you want this functionality you should have wish (tk8.3 or tk8.4 - the
    Tcl/Tk interpreter) installed.

    Homepage: http://www.linuxha.com/bottlerocket/

    This URL is still up and running.....

    > How can I look into the feisty or gutsy repo's for this application, when
    > I'm running Kubuntu Hardy ?

    > I I find it in a feisty repo, would I still be able to install it in hardy ?

    AFAIK, as long as all the dependencies are met it should be fine....but
    then again, I ain't no expert on this and so will leave your last couple
    of questions to be further expanded on by the more knowledgeable
    participants in this newsgroup. :-)

+ Reply to Thread