Can't install Ubuntu 8.04 LTS - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Can't install Ubuntu 8.04 LTS - Ubuntu ; Hi guys, Got the Ubuntu 8.04 LTS disk, ok I ran ubuntu live from the disk on booting up the computer. I liked it so thought I would partition and install ubuntu on the partition. Tried to do it, but ...

  1. Can't install Ubuntu 8.04 LTS

    Hi guys,
    Got the Ubuntu 8.04 LTS disk, ok I ran ubuntu live from the disk on booting
    up the computer. I liked it so thought I would partition and install ubuntu
    on the partition.
    Tried to do it, but got the following error message:

    (Initramfs) [ 100.3929411 ata4: SRST filed (errorno=-16)
    [ 145.812437] ata5: SRST failed (errno=-16)

    and that is as far as I got installing ubuntu.

    Ok, any help or suggestions to solve my problem would be appreciated
    Thanks and Regards
    Bob H

  2. Re: Can't install Ubuntu 8.04 LTS

    BH2 wrote:
    > Hi guys,
    > Got the Ubuntu 8.04 LTS disk, ok I ran ubuntu live from the disk on
    > booting up the computer. I liked it so thought I would partition and
    > install ubuntu on the partition.
    > Tried to do it, but got the following error message:
    >
    > (Initramfs) [ 100.3929411 ata4: SRST filed (errorno=-16)
    > [ 145.812437] ata5: SRST failed (errno=-16)
    >
    > and that is as far as I got installing ubuntu.
    >
    > Ok, any help or suggestions to solve my problem would be appreciated
    > Thanks and Regards
    > Bob H

    Hi,
    Try using entire partition, I tried what you did and got similar problems.

    Mike.

  3. Re: Can't install Ubuntu 8.04 LTS

    "BH2" wrote in

    > Hi guys,
    > Got the Ubuntu 8.04 LTS disk, ok I ran ubuntu live from the disk on
    > booting up the computer. I liked it so thought I would partition and
    > install ubuntu on the partition.
    > Tried to do it, but got the following error message:
    >
    > (Initramfs) [ 100.3929411 ata4: SRST filed (errorno=-16)
    > [ 145.812437] ata5: SRST failed (errno=-16)
    >
    > and that is as far as I got installing ubuntu.
    >
    > Ok, any help or suggestions to solve my problem would be appreciated
    > Thanks and Regards
    > Bob H

    One of the known issues when this kind of error message is generated is
    older Western Digital hard drives not being physically jumpered for
    "Single Mode" operation......might be an idea to post the specs on what
    kind of system you are trying to install Ubuntu on. :-)

  4. Re: Can't install Ubuntu 8.04 LTS

    den Fri, 16 May 2008 14:03:08 +0100, Digital Spirit skrev:

    > BH2 wrote:
    >> Hi guys,
    >> Got the Ubuntu 8.04 LTS disk, ok I ran ubuntu live from the disk on
    >> booting up the computer. I liked it so thought I would partition and
    >> install ubuntu on the partition.
    >> Tried to do it, but got the following error message:
    >>
    >> (Initramfs) [ 100.3929411 ata4: SRST filed (errorno=-16) [ 145.812437]
    >> ata5: SRST failed (errno=-16)
    >>
    >> and that is as far as I got installing ubuntu.
    >>
    >> Ok, any help or suggestions to solve my problem would be appreciated
    >> Thanks and Regards
    >> Bob H
    >>

    > Hi,
    > Try using entire partition, I tried what you did and got similar
    > problems.
    >
    > Mike.

    Or maybe partition the drive before you install ubuntu?

    Not sure if it helps, but it seems so. According to Mikes suggestion.

    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

  5. Re: Can't install Ubuntu 8.04 LTS

    propman wrote:
    > "BH2" wrote in
    >
    >> Hi guys,
    >> Got the Ubuntu 8.04 LTS disk, ok I ran ubuntu live from the disk on
    >> booting up the computer. I liked it so thought I would partition and
    >> install ubuntu on the partition.
    >> Tried to do it, but got the following error message:
    >>
    >> (Initramfs) [ 100.3929411 ata4: SRST filed (errorno=-16)
    >> [ 145.812437] ata5: SRST failed (errno=-16)
    >>
    >> and that is as far as I got installing ubuntu.
    >>
    >> Ok, any help or suggestions to solve my problem would be appreciated
    >> Thanks and Regards
    >> Bob H
    >>

    > One of the known issues when this kind of error message is generated is
    > older Western Digital hard drives not being physically jumpered for
    > "Single Mode" operation......might be an idea to post the specs on what
    > kind of system you are trying to install Ubuntu on. :-)

    Propman hit the nail on the head. Looks like a hard drive jumper problem.
    Results 1 - 10 of about 141 for google search "SRST failed (errno=-16)
    ubuntu hardy"

+ Reply to Thread