    Mails please to josef dot moellers
    and I'm on gmx dot de.

  2. Re: Where to find kernel sources?

    On 2008-05-15, Josef Moellers <5502109103600001@t-online.de> wrote:
    > I'd like to peek into gutsy's kernel sources and backport some code into
    > the ubuntu/media/usbvideo to support my webcam under feisty.
    > However, I cannot find the complete kernel source tree.
    > I cannot remember exactly where I got the feisty source code.
    > Where's the beef ... I mean ... source?
    >
    > Josef

    try linux-source package

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  3. Re: Where to find kernel sources?

    Josef Moellers schreef:
    > I'd like to peek into gutsy's kernel sources and backport some code into
    > the ubuntu/media/usbvideo to support my webcam under feisty.
    > However, I cannot find the complete kernel source tree.
    > I cannot remember exactly where I got the feisty source code.
    > Where's the beef ... I mean ... source?
    >
    > Josef

    HAve a look at build-essential.

    This package contains an informational list of packages which are
    considered essential for building Debian packages. This package also
    depends on the packages on that list, to make it easy to have the
    build-essential packages installed.

  4. Re: Where to find kernel sources?

    On Thu, 15 May 2008 22:32:03 +0200, Josef Moellers wrote:

    > I'd like to peek into gutsy's kernel sources and backport some code into
    > the ubuntu/media/usbvideo to support my webcam under feisty.
    > However, I cannot find the complete kernel source tree.
    > I cannot remember exactly where I got the feisty source code.
    > Where's the beef ... I mean ... source?

    http://www.kernel.org

    Now filtering out all posts originating from Google Groups.

  5. Re: Where to find kernel sources?

    > However, I cannot find the complete kernel source tree.
    > I cannot remember exactly where I got the feisty source code.

    # Notes I am keeping:

    sudo aptitude install gcc make kernel-package libncurses5-dev
    module-init-tools initrd-tools build-essential
    sudo aptitude install linux-source-2.6
    cd /usr/src
    sudo tar xfj linux-source-2.6.xx.tar.bz2
    cd linux-source-2.6.xx
    sudo make menuconfig
    sudo make-kpkg --initrd linux-image
    sudo dpkg -i ../linux-image-2.6.xx-xx.deb

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.10) Linux 2.6.25.3

  6. Re: Where to find kernel sources?

    On 2008-05-15, Josef Moellers <5502109103600001@t-online.de> wrote:
    > I'd like to peek into gutsy's kernel sources and backport some code into
    > the ubuntu/media/usbvideo to support my webcam under feisty.
    > However, I cannot find the complete kernel source tree.
    > I cannot remember exactly where I got the feisty source code.
    > Where's the beef ... I mean ... source?

    The troll is here by the looks of it.

  7. Re: Where to find kernel sources?

    Dan C wrote:
    > On Thu, 15 May 2008 22:32:03 +0200, Josef Moellers wrote:
    >
    >> I'd like to peek into gutsy's kernel sources and backport some code into
    >> the ubuntu/media/usbvideo to support my webcam under feisty.
    >> However, I cannot find the complete kernel source tree.
    >> I cannot remember exactly where I got the feisty source code.
    >> Where's the beef ... I mean ... source?

    > http://www.kernel.org

    Not quite. That's the original, Linus-released source code.
    I was looking for the Ubuntu kernel sources.

    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)

  8. Re: Where to find kernel sources?

    Ignoramus21037 wrote:
    > On 2008-05-15, Josef Moellers <5502109103600001@t-online.de> wrote:
    >> I'd like to peek into gutsy's kernel sources and backport some code into
    >> the ubuntu/media/usbvideo to support my webcam under feisty.
    >> However, I cannot find the complete kernel source tree.
    >> I cannot remember exactly where I got the feisty source code.
    >> Where's the beef ... I mean ... source?
    >>
    >> Josef

    > try linux-source package

    I did. The linux-source-2.6.22.tar.gz that it installed does not contain
    the ubuntu/ subdirectory that my 2.6.20.tar.gz had. The uvc-stuff is in
    there.

    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)

  9. Re: Where to find kernel sources?

    Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:
    > Josef Moellers schreef:
    >> I'd like to peek into gutsy's kernel sources and backport some code
    >> into the ubuntu/media/usbvideo to support my webcam under feisty.
    >> However, I cannot find the complete kernel source tree.
    >> I cannot remember exactly where I got the feisty source code.
    >> Where's the beef ... I mean ... source?
    >>
    >> Josef

    > HAve a look at build-essential.
    >
    > This package contains an informational list of packages which are
    > considered essential for building Debian packages. This package also
    > depends on the packages on that list, to make it easy to have the
    > build-essential packages installed.

    It's installed, yet ... only a linux-source-2.6.22.tar.bz2 without the
    ubuntu/ subdir.

    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)

  10. Re: Where to find kernel sources?

    Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) wrote:
    >> However, I cannot find the complete kernel source tree.
    >> I cannot remember exactly where I got the feisty source code.

    > # Notes I am keeping:
    >
    > sudo aptitude install gcc make kernel-package libncurses5-dev
    > module-init-tools initrd-tools build-essential
    > sudo aptitude install linux-source-2.6
    > cd /usr/src
    > sudo tar xfj linux-source-2.6.xx.tar.bz2
    > cd linux-source-2.6.xx
    > sudo make menuconfig
    > sudo make-kpkg --initrd linux-image
    > sudo dpkg -i ../linux-image-2.6.xx-xx.deb

    If you have installed the sources, could you check whether you have the
    ubuntu/ subdirectory? If so, I wonder where it comes from.

    Josef Mo"llers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)

  11. Re: Where to find kernel sources?

    Gordon wrote:
    > On 2008-05-15, Josef Moellers <5502109103600001@t-online.de> wrote:
    >> I'd like to peek into gutsy's kernel sources and backport some code into
    >> the ubuntu/media/usbvideo to support my webcam under feisty.
    >> However, I cannot find the complete kernel source tree.
    >> I cannot remember exactly where I got the feisty source code.
    >> Where's the beef ... I mean ... source?
    >>

    > The troll is here by the looks of it.

    What makes you think that?
    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)

  12. Re: Where to find kernel sources?

    > If you have installed the sources, could you check whether you have the
    > ubuntu/ subdirectory? If so, I wonder where it comes from.

    you could `dpkg -L linux-source-2.6` to list
    the content of any installed package.

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.10) Linux 2.6.22-14-generic

  13. Re: Where to find kernel sources?

    On 2008-05-16, Josef Moellers wrote:
    > Ignoramus21037 wrote:
    >> On 2008-05-15, Josef Moellers <5502109103600001@t-online.de> wrote:
    >>> I'd like to peek into gutsy's kernel sources and backport some code into
    >>> the ubuntu/media/usbvideo to support my webcam under feisty.
    >>> However, I cannot find the complete kernel source tree.
    >>> I cannot remember exactly where I got the feisty source code.
    >>> Where's the beef ... I mean ... source?
    >>>
    >>> Josef

    >> try linux-source package

    > I did. The linux-source-2.6.22.tar.gz that it installed does not contain
    > the ubuntu/ subdirectory that my 2.6.20.tar.gz had. The uvc-stuff is in
    > there.

    What are you actually trying to accomplish?

    Could it be that your digital camera could be made to work by some
    simplier means?

    Usually the solution is to find out the driver and say

    sudo modprobe driver

    for example

    sudo modprobe uvcvideo

    or some such.
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  14. Re: Where to find kernel sources?

    Ignoramus620 wrote:
    > On 2008-05-16, Josef Moellers wrote:
    >> Ignoramus21037 wrote:

    >>> try linux-source package

    >> I did. The linux-source-2.6.22.tar.gz that it installed does not contain
    >> the ubuntu/ subdirectory that my 2.6.20.tar.gz had. The uvc-stuff is in
    >> there.
    >>

    > What are you actually trying to accomplish?

    I bought the camera after checking its compatibility with my notebook at
    work (Kubuntu 7.10). When I returned home, it didn't work there (Kubuntu
    7.04), so I suspect a difference in the kernel driver modules uvcvideo.ko.
    At home, I have the kernel sources of the 2.6.20 kernel and they include
    a subdirectory "ubuntu/" (with further subdirectories "media/usbvideo").
    I then tried to find the source code for the 2.6.22 kernel as used in
    Kubuntu 7.10, but the package I downloaded didn't contain the ubuntu
    subdirectory, while the installation does have a
    /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/ubuntu/ subdirectory!

    I was hoping to find some difference between the 2.6.20 and 2.6.22
    kernel sources that might explain why 7.10 can handle my camera while
    7.04 cannot, and patch the 7.04 kernel sources such that it handles my
    camera.

    (At a more general level: Occasionally I'd like to be able to skim
    through the kernel sources to find out how things work and at work we
    support Novell/SuSE and Red Hat and both provide the kernel sources.
    Having used these systems for some time, I'm not yet fully familiar with
    Debian/Ubuntu and I still have difficulties finding sources)

    > Could it be that your digital camera could be made to work by some
    > simplier means?
    >
    > Usually the solution is to find out the driver and say
    >
    > sudo modprobe driver
    >
    > for example
    >
    > sudo modprobe uvcvideo
    >
    > or some such.

    Yet, on 7.04 the error message I then get is something in the line of
    "format or frame index out of range".
    I tried by simply setting the indices to 1 and this allowed me to use my
    camera, but this is not what I want.

    So I'm looking for the source code of the 7.10 uvcvideo.ko driver.

    In the mean time, I have found an svn repository on berlios, so maybe
    that will help.

    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)

  15. Re: Where to find kernel sources?

    Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) wrote:
    >> If you have installed the sources, could you check whether you have the
    >> ubuntu/ subdirectory? If so, I wonder where it comes from.

    > you could `dpkg -L linux-source-2.6` to list
    > the content of any installed package.

    root@bounty:~# dpkg -L linux-source-2.6.22
    /.
    /usr
    /usr/src
    /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.22.tar.bz2
    /usr/share
    /usr/share/doc
    /usr/share/doc/linux-source-2.6.22
    /usr/share/doc/linux-source-2.6.22/copyright
    /usr/share/doc/linux-source-2.6.22/changelog.Debian.gz
    root@bounty:~# tar tvjf /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.22.tar.bz2 |
    fgrep ubuntu
    root@bounty:~# ls -F /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/
    build@ kernel/ modules.alias modules.dep modules.inputmap
    modules.ofmap modules.seriomap modules.usbmap volatile/
    initrd/ madwifi/ modules.ccwmap modules.ieee1394map
    modules.isapnpmap modules.pcimap modules.symbols ubuntu/

    The 2.6.20 kernel sources do have the ubuntu/ subdirectory and the
    2.6.22 kernel sources don't.

    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)

  16. Re: Where to find kernel sources?

    On 2008-05-16, Josef Moellers wrote:
    > Ignoramus620 wrote:

    >>> I did. The linux-source-2.6.22.tar.gz that it installed does not contain
    >>> the ubuntu/ subdirectory that my 2.6.20.tar.gz had. The uvc-stuff is in
    >>> there.
    >>>

    >> What are you actually trying to accomplish?

    > I bought the camera after checking its compatibility with my notebook at
    > work (Kubuntu 7.10). When I returned home, it didn't work there (Kubuntu
    > 7.04), so I suspect a difference in the kernel driver modules uvcvideo.ko.
    > At home, I have the kernel sources of the 2.6.20 kernel and they include
    > a subdirectory "ubuntu/" (with further subdirectories "media/usbvideo").
    > I then tried to find the source code for the 2.6.22 kernel as used in
    > Kubuntu 7.10, but the package I downloaded didn't contain the ubuntu
    > subdirectory, while the installation does have a
    > /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/ubuntu/ subdirectory!
    >
    > I was hoping to find some difference between the 2.6.20 and 2.6.22
    > kernel sources that might explain why 7.10 can handle my camera while
    > 7.04 cannot, and patch the 7.04 kernel sources such that it handles my
    > camera.
    >
    > (At a more general level: Occasionally I'd like to be able to skim
    > through the kernel sources to find out how things work and at work we
    > support Novell/SuSE and Red Hat and both provide the kernel sources.
    > Having used these systems for some time, I'm not yet fully familiar with
    > Debian/Ubuntu and I still have difficulties finding sources)
    >
    >> Could it be that your digital camera could be made to work by some
    >> simplier means?
    >>
    >> Usually the solution is to find out the driver and say
    >>
    >> sudo modprobe driver
    >>
    >> for example
    >>
    >> sudo modprobe uvcvideo
    >>
    >> or some such.

    > Yet, on 7.04 the error message I then get is something in the line of
    > "format or frame index out of range".
    > I tried by simply setting the indices to 1 and this allowed me to use my
    > camera, but this is not what I want.
    >
    > So I'm looking for the source code of the 7.10 uvcvideo.ko driver.
    >
    > In the mean time, I have found an svn repository on berlios, so maybe
    > that will help.

    if your camera is recognized by uvcvideo, I would personally just
    spend time trying to gert it to work with stock uvcvideo.

    I think that trying to compile your own kernel, is a misleading path.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  17. Re: Where to find kernel sources?

    On Fri, 16 May 2008 09:37:35 +0200, Josef Moellers wrote:

    >>> Where's the beef ... I mean ... source?

    >> http://www.kernel.org

    > Not quite. That's the original, Linus-released source code.

    Oh, yeah. I forgot that you *buntu users have to use that
    patched/modified/"improved"/broken kernel stuff. I'm used to using
    pristine kernel source with my Slackware systems.

    > I was looking for the Ubuntu kernel sources.

    I would think the obvious answer is "the repositories". Right?

    Now filtering out all posts originating from Google Groups.

  18. Re: Where to find kernel sources?

    Ignoramus620 wrote:

    > if your camera is recognized by uvcvideo, I would personally just
    > spend time trying to gert it to work with stock uvcvideo.
    >
    > I think that trying to compile your own kernel, is a misleading path.

    I do know that and I just do a
    make M=ubuntu/media/uvcvideo modules
    then throw out the old uvcvideo and plug in the new one:
    rmmod uvcvideo; insmod ubuntu/media/uvcvideo/uvcvideo.ko

    No need for a full blown
    make bzImage modules modules-install
    ;-)

    BTW I just found the linux-uvc stuff on berlios (including 3
    uninitialized parameters ;-). Works well on my 7.10 here at work, will
    try at home, too.

    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)

  19. Re: Where to find kernel sources?

    Dan C wrote:

    >>> http://www.kernel.org

    >> Not quite. That's the original, Linus-released source code.

    > Oh, yeah. I forgot that you *buntu users have to use that
    > patched/modified/"improved"/broken kernel stuff. I'm used to using
    > pristine kernel source with my Slackware systems.

    Quite a number of distributions have non-pristine kernels.
    It's not always possible to use the pristine kernels, nor is it always
    possible to switch to the latest, greatest kernel.
    I can live with that.

    >> I was looking for the Ubuntu kernel sources.

    > I would think the obvious answer is "the repositories". Right?

    Apparently it isn't. Though I did not do an exhaustive search of the
    repositories, then.

    Thanks anyway,

    Josef
    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)

  20. Re: Where to find kernel sources?

    On Fri, 16 May 2008 15:39:32 +0200, Josef Moellers wrote:

    >> Oh, yeah. I forgot that you *buntu users have to use that
    >> patched/modified/"improved"/broken kernel stuff. I'm used to using
    >> pristine kernel source with my Slackware systems.

    > Quite a number of distributions have non-pristine kernels.

    True enough.

    > It's not always possible to use the pristine kernels, nor is it always
    > possible to switch to the latest, greatest kernel. I can live with that.

    It is possible for me, or anyone else who compiles their own custom
    kernel. I don't always run right out and get the newest kernel source,
    but I'm rarely more than 1 revision behind. Guess I'd better do that soon,
    I'm running 2.6.25.1 now and we're already up to 2.6.25.3...

    >>> I was looking for the Ubuntu kernel sources.

    >> I would think the obvious answer is "the repositories". Right?

    > Apparently it isn't. Though I did not do an exhaustive search of the
    > repositories, then.

    Perhaps you should do that.

    Now filtering out all posts originating from Google Groups.