I understand that it is costly to maintain very old software etc.

But what I want to know is this. If I am using some way out of date
version of ubuntu, are the repos going to be available long after
support is withdrawn?

The reason for my question is obvious, it would be good to be able to
install extra packages after the version expired. It's OK if they are
obsolete, I just want them to be there.

This was a particularly painful issue with my Fedora 3 server that I
will soon retire.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/