Help needed - USB Installation - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Help needed - USB Installation - Ubuntu ; Hi, I am trying to create a bootable USB stick for Ubuntu, and I found instructions in the Ubuntu documentation, but when I run the command: # zcat boot.img.gz > /dev/sdb1 It changes my 4Gb USB Stick into a 12 ...

  1. Help needed - USB Installation

    Hi,
    I am trying to create a bootable USB stick for Ubuntu, and I found
    instructions in the Ubuntu documentation, but when I run the command:
    # zcat boot.img.gz > /dev/sdb1
    It changes my 4Gb USB Stick into a 12 Mb stick so I can no longer fit the
    ubuntu.iso image on there.

    Anyone know why this happens ?

    I also tried using cfdusk but it gives a fatal error (Not sure if that was
    the solution to my problem anyway as I've never used it).

    Thanks for any advice

    Jon

  2. Re: Help needed - USB Installation

    jon wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I am trying to create a bootable USB stick for Ubuntu, and I found
    > instructions in the Ubuntu documentation, but when I run the command:
    > # zcat boot.img.gz > /dev/sdb1
    > It changes my 4Gb USB Stick into a 12 Mb stick so I can no longer fit
    > the ubuntu.iso image on there.
    >
    > Anyone know why this happens ?
    >
    > I also tried using cfdusk but it gives a fatal error (Not sure if that
    > was the solution to my problem anyway as I've never used it).
    >
    > Thanks for any advice
    >
    > Jon

    Have you tried this method?
    http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2008/05...a-the-live-cd/

  3. Re: Help needed - USB Installation

    jon wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I am trying to create a bootable USB stick for Ubuntu, and I found
    > instructions in the Ubuntu documentation, but when I run the command:
    > # zcat boot.img.gz > /dev/sdb1
    > It changes my 4Gb USB Stick into a 12 Mb stick so I can no longer fit
    > the ubuntu.iso image on there.
    >
    > Anyone know why this happens ?
    >
    > I also tried using cfdusk but it gives a fatal error (Not sure if that
    > was the solution to my problem anyway as I've never used it).
    >
    > Thanks for any advice
    >
    > Jon

    That one was for Kubuntu.
    This one is for Ubuntu: