Ubuntu 8.04 and proxy with auth - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu 8.04 and proxy with auth - Ubuntu ; i've just installed the above. seems nice. i'd like to access the internet now with Synaptic. oops! can't do it. the proxy with auth setting STILL doesn't work. i ran into this problem years ago, and it's still here. things ...

  1. Ubuntu 8.04 and proxy with auth

    i've just installed the above. seems nice. i'd like to access the
    internet now with Synaptic. oops! can't do it. the proxy with auth
    setting STILL doesn't work. i ran into this problem years ago, and it's
    still here.

    things i have tried:

    system->preferences->network proxy->
    manual proxy configuration, details->use authentication
    (all set correctly - doesn't work, in fact, what does this do??)

    system->administration->synaptic package
    manager->settings->preferences->network->manual proxy configuration (for
    HTTP and FTP) + authentication->username/password
    (all set correctly, but no hope in Jebus of working)

    i've even tried:
    applications->system tools->configuration editor->system->http_proxy:
    authentication_password (check!)
    authentication_user (check!)
    host (check!)
    port (check!)
    use_auth (check!)
    use_http_proxy (check!)
    use_same_proxy (check!)
    (and with nothing else to try, this too, fails dismally, making my
    installation useless)

    all crap, but for one thing:
    Firefox's built-in proxy settings
    (thank Christ this works perfectly)

    can _anyone_ help me with this problem, that as far as i can tell, has
    haunted this distro since 2005 or later?

    this distro is NOT ready for prime time.

    thanks for any help, from the frustrated Aussie,

    bob

    --
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too
    dark to read. - Groucho Marx

  2. Re: Ubuntu 8.04 and proxy with auth

    bob from oz wrote:
    > can _anyone_ help me with this problem, that as far as i can tell, has
    > haunted this distro since 2005 or later?

    i should look before i leap. i got it working, i think. thanks for any
    help that was coming (and flames :-)

    > thanks for any help, from the frustrated Aussie,

    should read "impatient, sometimes stupid Aussie"

    bob

    --
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too
    dark to read. - Groucho Marx

+ Reply to Thread