Compiz Cube - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Compiz Cube - Ubuntu ; I need to create a demo and would like to do so using the cube. I installed everything that is needed, checked all the effects that I want, however I can't find a way to display the cube itself on ...

  1. Compiz Cube

    I need to create a demo and would like to do so using the cube. I
    installed everything that is needed, checked all the effects that I want,
    however I can't find a way to display the cube itself on the screen to
    begin with...

    --
    Jerry Maguire: Help me... help you. Help me, help you. ;-)

  2. Re: Compiz Cube

    Holz illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > I need to create a demo and would like to do so using the cube. I
    > installed everything that is needed, checked all the effects that I want,
    > however I can't find a way to display the cube itself on the screen to
    > begin with...

    Terminal
    $ sudo apt-get install compisconfig-settings-manager

    Type
    $ ccsm

    to run from a terminal or a launcher

    Or
    System -> Preferences -> Advanced Desktop Effects Settings

    HTH.

    --
    Moog

    "The G is for the gnarled face of someone who's on ninety thousand
    pounds a week who reckoned he should have had a throw in"

  3. Re: Compiz Cube

    Moog illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Holz illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> I need to create a demo and would like to do so using the cube. I
    >> installed everything that is needed, checked all the effects that I want,
    >> however I can't find a way to display the cube itself on the screen to
    >> begin with...

    > Terminal
    > $ sudo apt-get install compisconfig-settings-manager

    $ sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager

    Can you tell I'm a Brit?
    ;-)

    --
    Moog

    "The G is for the gnarled face of someone who's on ninety thousand
    pounds a week who reckoned he should have had a throw in"

  4. Re: Compiz Cube

    On Wed, 14 May 2008 21:12:58 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > Holz illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> I need to create a demo and would like to do so using the cube. I
    >> installed everything that is needed, checked all the effects that I
    >> want, however I can't find a way to display the cube itself on the
    >> screen to begin with...

    > Terminal
    > $ sudo apt-get install compisconfig-settings-manager
    >
    > Type
    > $ ccsm
    >
    > to run from a terminal or a launcher
    >
    > Or
    > System -> Preferences -> Advanced Desktop Effects Settings
    >
    > HTH.

    Moog
    I have gone through all that, everything is set. My question is, how do I
    get the 4 wall cube to display on my screen? Is there a button sequence
    to do so? Mouse sequence?
    How do I get this to display on my screen? http://tinyurl.com/3fg7jc

    --
    Jerry Maguire: Help me... help you. Help me, help you. ;-)

  5. Re: Compiz Cube

    On Wed, 14 May 2008 20:35:46 +0000, Holz intrigued me by writing :

    > I need to create a demo and would like to do so using the cube. I
    > installed everything that is needed, checked all the effects that I
    > want, however I can't find a way to display the cube itself on the
    > screen to begin with...

    If *everything* is installed correctly, then all you have to do is hit
    Ctrl+Alt and the left mouse button then move the mouse. If not, goto
    SYSTEM then PREFERENCES and then click on ADVANCED DESKTOP SETTINGS. Let
    us know how it turns out. Take care.

    --
    Just Me, D

  6. Re: Compiz Cube

    On Wed, 14 May 2008 21:21:52 +0000, D. Williams wrote:

    > Ctrl+Alt and the left mouse button

    BANG!!! that's it. TY.

    --
    Jerry Maguire: Help me... help you. Help me, help you. ;-)

  7. Re: Compiz Cube

    Holz illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Wed, 14 May 2008 21:12:58 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >
    >> Holz illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> I need to create a demo and would like to do so using the cube. I
    >>> installed everything that is needed, checked all the effects that I
    >>> want, however I can't find a way to display the cube itself on the
    >>> screen to begin with...

    >> Terminal
    >> $ sudo apt-get install compisconfig-settings-manager
    >>
    >> Type
    >> $ ccsm
    >>
    >> to run from a terminal or a launcher
    >>
    >> Or
    >> System -> Preferences -> Advanced Desktop Effects Settings
    >>
    >> HTH.

    > Moog
    > I have gone through all that, everything is set. My question is, how do I
    > get the 4 wall cube to display on my screen? Is there a button sequence
    > to do so? Mouse sequence?
    > How do I get this to display on my screen? http://tinyurl.com/3fg7jc

    ctrl-alt-left cursor (or right cursor)

    or

    Up and down on the scroll mouse.

    This assumes you have gone to
    System -> Preferences -> Advanced DEsktop Effects Settings
    and actually put a tick in the "Desktop Cube" and "Rotate Cube" tick
    boxes.

    --
    Moog

    "The G is for the gnarled face of someone who's on ninety thousand
    pounds a week who reckoned he should have had a throw in"

  8. Re: Compiz Cube

    On Wed, 14 May 2008 21:26:14 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > ctrl-alt-left cursor (or right cursor)
    >
    > or
    >
    > Up and down on the scroll mouse.
    >
    > This assumes you have gone to
    > System -> Preferences -> Advanced DEsktop Effects Settings and actually
    > put a tick in the "Desktop Cube" and "Rotate Cube" tick boxes.

    Yeah, that was it. Your answer across the pond came in second, you're
    still good :-).

    --
    Jerry Maguire: Help me... help you. Help me, help you. ;-)

  9. Re: Compiz Cube

    On Wednesday 14 May 2008 22:25 Holz licked a pencil and jotted:

    > On Wed, 14 May 2008 21:21:52 +0000, D. Williams wrote:
    >
    >> Ctrl+Alt and the left mouse button

    > BANG!!! that's it. TY.

    I have been doing a similar thing this week: demoing the shinies. Installed
    it on one of the stepsons' PCs. They inherited a 2.5Ghz P4 with 256MB RAM,
    no HDD and an ATI 128MB vid card.

    It was being chucked out by one of their friends who wanted Vista!!

    When he saw Compiz that I was playing with on my p4 1.7 laptop he wanted it.

    I stuck an old 15GB ATA66 HDD in, chucked Kubuntu Hardy on and put on a
    fully loaded Compiz, with transparent cube with internal gears, flippy 3d
    windows, expo, fire on screen etc etc. Made a nice shiny, curved black and
    neon green panel (about 2 minutes work in Gimp).

    Other mates of his who one of the "budget" flavours of Vista had their jaws
    on the floor If they were IT savvy enough to get how impressive this was
    on 256MB ram I reckon I would be prising their teeth out of the carpet

    He is going to be the real test for Kubuntu's useability, 18yo and an IT
    numpty who plays 3D PC games. 12yo daughter has no trouble using,
    customising and installing stuff on Kubuntu. So - chuck a preconfigured
    Kubuntu PC at him and see how he gets on, I bet it takes longer to break
    than the preconfigured XP PCs he's used and I bet I get asked to help less!

    David
    --
    Knowledge is of two kinds: we know a subject ourselves, or we know where we
    can find information upon it. (Samuel Johnson)

  10. Re: Compiz Cube

    On Wed, 14 May 2008 22:56:18 +0000, Baldylocks-Ubuntu wrote:

    > He is going to be the real test for Kubuntu's useability, 18yo and an IT
    > numpty who plays 3D PC games.

    Let us know if he gets Maple Story or Warcraft working. My 15 year old
    couldn't quite figure those out, so he put an old xp drive in and now
    dual boots. Or should I say, now boots to windows to play games.

    stonerfish

  11. Re: Compiz Cube

    On Wed, 14 May 2008 22:56:18 +0000, Baldylocks-Ubuntu wrote:

    > It was being chucked out by one of their friends who wanted Vista!!

    Pretty much the same.
    My demo is for a company in Hollywood, they are doing demo's themselves...
    The computer is 64AMD, 4 GB RAM and GEForce, 3D, all drives are SCSI 10K
    wit RAID 10. The machine is theirs, and they want to show prospect
    clients some nice movie capabilities (not sure why not MAC).
    I am sure the demo will blow them away, we played 4 movies on clear
    walls, spinning them around. Our demo guy himself is in disbelief.
    Going into action on Friday.
    --
    Jerry Maguire: Help me... help you. Help me, help you. ;-)

  12. Re: Compiz Cube

    "Baldylocks-Ubuntu" wrote in message
    > On Wednesday 14 May 2008 22:25 Holz licked a pencil and jotted:
    >
    >> On Wed, 14 May 2008 21:21:52 +0000, D. Williams wrote:
    >>
    >>> Ctrl+Alt and the left mouse button

    >> BANG!!! that's it. TY.
    >>

    > I have been doing a similar thing this week: demoing the shinies.
    > Installed
    > it on one of the stepsons' PCs. They inherited a 2.5Ghz P4 with 256MB RAM,
    > no HDD and an ATI 128MB vid card.
    >
    > It was being chucked out by one of their friends who wanted Vista!!
    >
    > When he saw Compiz that I was playing with on my p4 1.7 laptop he wanted
    > it.
    >
    > I stuck an old 15GB ATA66 HDD in, chucked Kubuntu Hardy on and put on a
    > fully loaded Compiz, with transparent cube with internal gears, flippy 3d
    > windows, expo, fire on screen etc etc. Made a nice shiny, curved black and
    > neon green panel (about 2 minutes work in Gimp).
    >
    > Other mates of his who one of the "budget" flavours of Vista had their
    > jaws
    > on the floor If they were IT savvy enough to get how impressive this
    > was
    > on 256MB ram I reckon I would be prising their teeth out of the carpet

    If you realisied how easy it is to do it you wouldn't be amazed at all.
    Try some nice 3D games with modern effects and that is impressive.
    3D games are even useful while a rotating cube desktop manager is much use
    to anyone other than to impress the very easily impressed.

  13. Re: Compiz Cube

    On Thursday 15 May 2008 08:54 dennis@home licked a pencil and jotted:

    > "Baldylocks-Ubuntu" wrote in message

    >>> BANG!!! that's it. TY.
    >>>

    >> I have been doing a similar thing this week: demoing the shinies.
    >> Installed
    >> it on one of the stepsons' PCs. They inherited a 2.5Ghz P4 with 256MB
    >> RAM, no HDD and an ATI 128MB vid card.
    >>
    >> It was being chucked out by one of their friends who wanted Vista!!
    >>
    >> When he saw Compiz that I was playing with on my p4 1.7 laptop he wanted
    >> it.
    >>
    >> I stuck an old 15GB ATA66 HDD in, chucked Kubuntu Hardy on and put on a
    >> fully loaded Compiz, with transparent cube with internal gears, flippy 3d
    >> windows, expo, fire on screen etc etc. Made a nice shiny, curved black
    >> and neon green panel (about 2 minutes work in Gimp).
    >>
    >> Other mates of his who one of the "budget" flavours of Vista had their
    >> jaws
    >> on the floor If they were IT savvy enough to get how impressive this
    >> was
    >> on 256MB ram I reckon I would be prising their teeth out of the carpet

    > If you realisied how easy it is to do it you wouldn't be amazed at all.
    > Try some nice 3D games with modern effects and that is impressive.
    > 3D games are even useful while a rotating cube desktop manager is much use
    > to anyone other than to impress the very easily impressed.

    Personally, I am not a gamer and have no real use for Compiz. I could see a
    few of the features could have uses though.

    Impressing the easily impressed was the whole idea They are the ones that
    think it is perfectly acceptable to pay £100s of pounds for windows NT with
    a new paint job.

    Me, I am "regressing" to the terminal for more and more stuff as time goes
    by. The stuff I can do in there and with scripts is what impresses me. I
    made the switch to Linux as a total n00b about a year ago and wish I had
    done it years ago.

    David
    --
    Knowledge is of two kinds: we know a subject ourselves, or we know where we
    can find information upon it. (Samuel Johnson)
    Only the mediocre are always at their best. (Jean Giraudoux)
    (Reply address genuine - Checked occasionally)

  14. Re: Compiz Cube

    On Thursday 15 May 2008 00:18 jellybean stonerfish licked a pencil and
    jotted:

    > On Wed, 14 May 2008 22:56:18 +0000, Baldylocks-Ubuntu wrote:
    >
    >> He is going to be the real test for Kubuntu's useability, 18yo and an IT
    >> numpty who plays 3D PC games.

    > Let us know if he gets Maple Story or Warcraft working. My 15 year old
    > couldn't quite figure those out, so he put an old xp drive in and now
    > dual boots. Or should I say, now boots to windows to play games.
    >
    > stonerfish

    I have no idea what Maple Story is, but I think they have WoW upstairs. If I
    remember, I will post success/failure in here - it might be a while before
    I get round to sticking a bigger HDD in that will take it.

    Did your 15yo try the latest version of Wine? It seems much improved -
    although the only thing I need or want to use it for myself is WinMX - I
    had to use an ancient version with lots of mucking about until the Wine
    release before last.

    David
    --
    Knowledge is of two kinds: we know a subject ourselves, or we know where we
    can find information upon it. (Samuel Johnson)
    Only the mediocre are always at their best. (Jean Giraudoux)
    (Reply address genuine - Checked occasionally)

  15. Re: Compiz Cube

    On Thu, 15 May 2008 17:14:38 +0000, Baldylocks-Ubuntu wrote:

    > I have no idea what Maple Story is, but I think they have WoW upstairs.

    Maple story is a 2d side scrolling rpg. More younger oriented.

    > If I remember, I will post success/failure in here - it might be a while
    > before I get round to sticking a bigger HDD in that will take it.
    >
    > Did your 15yo try the latest version of Wine? It seems much improved -
    > although the only thing I need or want to use it for myself is WinMX - I
    > had to use an ancient version with lots of mucking about until the Wine
    > release before last.
    >
    > David

    No he did not try the latest wine. He tried to install WOW on ubuntu
    6.10 about year ago. Then he figured out that Wolfenstein works on
    ubuntu like a charm and was hooked on that for a while. When we upgraded
    his grandmothers computer, we kept her old drive with xp, now he is in
    WOW heaven.

    If your boy gets wow working, let me know. I may help mine put it on the
    ubuntu disk, then I can remove the xp option from his boot menu.

    stonerfish

  16. Re: Compiz Cube

    On Thu, 15 May 2008 17:09:58 +0000, Baldylocks-Ubuntu wrote:

    > Me, I am "regressing" to the terminal for more and more stuff as time
    > goes by. The stuff I can do in there and with scripts is what impresses
    > me. I made the switch to Linux as a total n00b about a year ago and wish
    > I had done it years ago.
    >
    > David

    Linux user for about a year, and you like the command line. Cool. If
    you are up to it, do a run through of Linux From Scratch. You don't need
    to keep your finished lfs system, but you will learn very much about how
    these systems work, and gain greater command line skills.

    stonerfish

+ Reply to Thread