Device Manager - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Device Manager - Ubuntu ; Just in case anyone's interested.........searching Google/Ubuntu Forums returned the information that the "Device Manager" option is not part of the stock install or included with the Live CD (HH v8.04).....it has to be installed via update. Don't suppose if anyone ...

  1. Device Manager

    Just in case anyone's interested.........searching Google/Ubuntu Forums
    returned the information that the "Device Manager" option is not part of
    the stock install or included with the Live CD (HH v8.04).....it has to be
    installed via update.

    Don't suppose if anyone knows offhand if it's possible to do an update from
    the Windows Vista side of things..........???

    Any comments appreciated...thanks! :-)

  2. Re: Device Manager

    propman wrote:
    > Just in case anyone's interested.........searching Google/Ubuntu Forums
    > returned the information that the "Device Manager" option is not part of
    > the stock install or included with the Live CD (HH v8.04).....it has to be
    > installed via update.
    >
    > Don't suppose if anyone knows offhand if it's possible to do an update from
    > the Windows Vista side of things..........???
    >
    > Any comments appreciated...thanks! :-)

    I don't use Vista, but I think I read somewhere that there was a Service
    Pack 1 available.

    --
    John

  3. Re: Device Manager

    "John F. Morse" wrote in

    > propman wrote:
    >> Just in case anyone's interested.........searching Google/Ubuntu
    >> Forums returned the information that the "Device Manager" option is
    >> not part of the stock install or included with the Live CD (HH
    >> v8.04).....it has to be installed via update.
    >>
    >> Don't suppose if anyone knows offhand if it's possible to do an
    >> update from the Windows Vista side of things..........???
    >>
    >> Any comments appreciated...thanks! :-)

    > I don't use Vista, but I think I read somewhere that there was a
    > Service Pack 1 available.

    Hi John.....thanks for the reply. :-)

    Already have SP1 installed but it wasn't the Windows side that I was
    refering to......guess my question was a bit ambiguous! :-)

    What I was wondering is if there was anyway I could use my Vista system
    (which has valid net access) to obtain Ubuntu updates and/or packages?
    That is, download them, saved to disk via Windows and then reboot into
    Ubuntu to install them?

    Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated...thanks! :-)

  4. Re: Device Manager

    "propman" wrote in message
    news:Xns9A9EF1EF88EBDpropmhotmailcom@199.185.223.7 4...
    > "John F. Morse" wrote in
    >
    >> propman wrote:
    >>> Just in case anyone's interested.........searching Google/Ubuntu
    >>> Forums returned the information that the "Device Manager" option is
    >>> not part of the stock install or included with the Live CD (HH
    >>> v8.04).....it has to be installed via update.
    >>>
    >>> Don't suppose if anyone knows offhand if it's possible to do an
    >>> update from the Windows Vista side of things..........???
    >>>
    >>> Any comments appreciated...thanks! :-)

    >> I don't use Vista, but I think I read somewhere that there was a
    >> Service Pack 1 available.
    >>

    > Hi John.....thanks for the reply. :-)
    >
    > Already have SP1 installed but it wasn't the Windows side that I was
    > refering to......guess my question was a bit ambiguous! :-)
    >
    > What I was wondering is if there was anyway I could use my Vista system
    > (which has valid net access) to obtain Ubuntu updates and/or packages?
    > That is, download them, saved to disk via Windows and then reboot into
    > Ubuntu to install them?

    Yes, you download the packages you want from the Ubuntu mirrors and then
    install them while running Ubuntu.
    You can put the packages on anything both systems can access, HD, Flash key
    or CD/DVD.

    > Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated...thanks! :-)

  5. Re: Device Manager

    propman wrote:
    > "John F. Morse" wrote in
    >
    >> propman wrote:
    >>
    >>> Just in case anyone's interested.........searching Google/Ubuntu
    >>> Forums returned the information that the "Device Manager" option is
    >>> not part of the stock install or included with the Live CD (HH
    >>> v8.04).....it has to be installed via update.
    >>>
    >>> Don't suppose if anyone knows offhand if it's possible to do an
    >>> update from the Windows Vista side of things..........???
    >>>
    >>> Any comments appreciated...thanks! :-)
    >>>

    >> I don't use Vista, but I think I read somewhere that there was a
    >> Service Pack 1 available.

    > Hi John.....thanks for the reply. :-)
    >
    > Already have SP1 installed but it wasn't the Windows side that I was
    > refering to......guess my question was a bit ambiguous! :-)
    >
    > What I was wondering is if there was anyway I could use my Vista system
    > (which has valid net access) to obtain Ubuntu updates and/or packages?
    > That is, download them, saved to disk via Windows and then reboot into
    > Ubuntu to install them?
    >
    > Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated...thanks! :-)

    I don't see why not. A file is a file, whether it is downloaded during a
    Vista session, a Mac session, or is on some removable media, like a
    floppy, thumb drive, optical disk (CD), etc.

    Just be sure your "receiving" OS can read the media -- the filesystem --
    that the downloading system used to store the file(s).

    There is also a method to create DEB packages from files, and use the
    DEB APT system to install them.

    --
    John

  6. Re: Device Manager

    "dennis@home" wrote in

    > packages? That is, download them, saved to disk via Windows and then
    >> reboot into Ubuntu to install them?

    > Yes, you download the packages you want from the Ubuntu mirrors and
    > then install them while running Ubuntu.
    > You can put the packages on anything both systems can access, HD,
    > Flash key or CD/DVD.
    >

    >> Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated...thanks! :-)

    Cheers, Dennis....much appreciated. :-)

  7. Re: Device Manager

    "John F. Morse" wrote in

    >> packages?
    >> That is, download them, saved to disk via Windows and then reboot
    >> into Ubuntu to install them?
    >>
    >> Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated...thanks! :-)

    > I don't see why not. A file is a file, whether it is downloaded during
    > a Vista session, a Mac session, or is on some removable media, like a
    > floppy, thumb drive, optical disk (CD), etc.
    >
    > Just be sure your "receiving" OS can read the media -- the filesystem
    > -- that the downloading system used to store the file(s).

    That was the part I was wondering about....so will be doing a bit more
    checking around on this issue.

    > There is also a method to create DEB packages from files, and use the
    > DEB APT system to install them.

    Hmmm......OK, thanks for the tip. Much appreciated. :-)

+ Reply to Thread