sda or hda ? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on sda or hda ? - Ubuntu ; I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 In GParted my first harddisk is listed at /dev/sda, with partitions /dev/sda1(ext3) and /dev/sda2(extended) and /dev/sda5 (swap) As far as I remember (but I could be wrong of course) this was always /dev/hda, and partitions /dev/hda1, ...

  1. sda or hda ?

    I'm running Ubuntu 8.04

    In GParted my first harddisk is listed at /dev/sda, with partitions
    /dev/sda1(ext3) and /dev/sda2(extended) and /dev/sda5 (swap)

    As far as I remember (but I could be wrong of course) this was always
    /dev/hda, and partitions /dev/hda1, etc

    Has /hda been changed to /sda in version 8.04 ?

    The same with my primary slave disk, which is /dev/sdb (i.s.o. /dev/hdb ? )

    What do I enter in /etc/fstab to mount my primary slave ?

    Rgds.
    Henk

  2. Re: sda or hda ?

    Henk Oegema wrote:
    > I'm running Ubuntu 8.04
    >
    > In GParted my first harddisk is listed at /dev/sda, with partitions
    > /dev/sda1(ext3) and /dev/sda2(extended) and /dev/sda5 (swap)
    >
    > As far as I remember (but I could be wrong of course) this was always
    > /dev/hda, and partitions /dev/hda1, etc
    >
    > Has /hda been changed to /sda in version 8.04 ?

    Yes, IDE disks are now handled through the SCSI layer.

    > The same with my primary slave disk, which is /dev/sdb (i.s.o. /dev/hdb ? )
    >
    > What do I enter in /etc/fstab to mount my primary slave ?

    1. Use the /dev/sd* names
    2. Use filesystem labels ("LABEL=..."), assign and retrieve using e.g.
    e2label
    3. Use UUIDs ("UUID=..."), retrieve by looking into /dev/disk/by-uuid

    The latter two won't change if you move disks or insert additional disks.
    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)

  3. Re: sda or hda ?

    Josef Moellers wrote:

    > Yes, IDE disks are now handled through the SCSI layer.

    Thanks Josef.

    What is the advantage of using the SCSI layer i.s.o.the IDE layer ?

    >> The same with my primary slave disk, which is /dev/sdb (i.s.o. /dev/hdb
    >> ? )
    >>
    >> What do I enter in /etc/fstab to mount my primary slave ?

    > 1. Use the /dev/sd* names
    > 2. Use filesystem labels ("LABEL=..."), assign and retrieve using e.g.
    > e2label
    > 3. Use UUIDs ("UUID=..."), retrieve by looking into /dev/disk/by-uuid
    >
    > The latter two won't change if you move disks or insert additional disks.

  4. Re: sda or hda ?

    Henk Oegema wrote:
    > Josef Moellers wrote:
    >> Yes, IDE disks are now handled through the SCSI layer.

    > Thanks Josef.
    >
    > What is the advantage of using the SCSI layer i.s.o.the IDE layer ?

    Beats me. It's libata that does this. AFAIK SATA disks were the first to
    be sd*, then the entire IDE (PATA) subsystem (which was hysterically
    grown and a bit messy here and there) was abandoned in favor of libata,
    so I see it more as an architectural feature. It does seem to complicate
    things, though, as you can't talk directly to your IDE disk any more,
    all commands have to be translated back and forth, making S.M.A.R.T.
    queries difficult.

    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)