How do I get root Privileges - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on How do I get root Privileges - Ubuntu ; Hi Gang I want to use the Adept Manager but I don't have root privileges. Tell me how to change my system configuration so I can have sys admin privileges. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Derryl Killan...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 123

  1. How do I get root Privileges

    Hi Gang

    I want to use the Adept Manager but I
    don't have root privileges.

    Tell me how to change my system
    configuration so I can have sys admin
    privileges.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Derryl Killan

  2. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    On Wed, 14 May 2008 04:57:17 GMT, Derryl Killan
    wrote:

    >Hi Gang
    >
    >I want to use the Adept Manager but I
    >don't have root privileges.
    >
    >Tell me how to change my system
    >configuration so I can have sys admin
    >privileges.
    >
    >Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    >Derryl Killan

    In the terminal prefix the command with "sudo" without the quotes.
    you will be asked for your password - enter your login password.

    In a graphical environment enter your login password when requested.

    All should be well as long as you are a member of the admin group.

    Roy Strachan - Registered Linux User 469226

  3. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    On Wed, 14 May 2008 04:57:17 +0000, Derryl Killan wrote:

    > I want to use the Adept Manager but I
    > don't have root privileges.
    >
    > Tell me how to change my system
    > configuration so I can have sys admin
    > privileges.

    RTFM.

    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    HTH.

    Now filtering out all posts originating from Google Groups.

  4. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    On 2008-05-14, Derryl Killan wrote:
    > Hi Gang
    >
    > I want to use the Adept Manager but I
    > don't have root privileges.
    >
    > Tell me how to change my system
    > configuration so I can have sys admin
    > privileges.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Derryl Killan

    you need to use sudo to get root shell and then passwd to set root
    password. Then you can do su to log on as root

    sudo passwd

    su -

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  5. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    Ignoramus12901 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On 2008-05-14, Derryl Killan wrote:
    >> Hi Gang
    >>
    >> I want to use the Adept Manager but I
    >> don't have root privileges.
    >>
    >> Tell me how to change my system
    >> configuration so I can have sys admin
    >> privileges.
    >>
    >> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >> Derryl Killan

    > you need to use sudo to get root shell and then passwd to set root
    > password. Then you can do su to log on as root
    >
    > sudo passwd
    >

    > su -

    No. No. No.

    Please do not advise a new user to enable the root account.

    sudo is the way Ubuntu works.

    Let the users learn the OS before giving them the weapons to shoot
    themselves with.

    Thanks in advance.

    --
    Moog

    "The G is for the gnarled face of someone who's on ninety thousand
    pounds a week who reckoned he should have had a throw in"

  6. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    On 2008-05-14, Moog wrote:
    > Ignoramus12901 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> On 2008-05-14, Derryl Killan wrote:
    >>> Hi Gang
    >>>
    >>> I want to use the Adept Manager but I
    >>> don't have root privileges.
    >>>
    >>> Tell me how to change my system
    >>> configuration so I can have sys admin
    >>> privileges.
    >>>
    >>> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Derryl Killan

    >> you need to use sudo to get root shell and then passwd to set root
    >> password. Then you can do su to log on as root
    >>
    >> sudo passwd
    >>

    >> su -
    >>

    > No. No. No.
    >
    > Please do not advise a new user to enable the root account.
    >
    > sudo is the way Ubuntu works.
    >
    > Let the users learn the OS before giving them the weapons to shoot
    > themselves with.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    I am an old school guy and I am very used to su. (obviously doing as
    little as root as possible).

    But you may be right.

    I recall some strange instances, with Gutsy I think, when a filesystem
    check failed and it asked me to log on as root and asked for root
    password.

    I was glad that I set the root password, then, as I would be left out
    of the system.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  7. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    Ignoramus12901 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On 2008-05-14, Moog wrote:
    >> Ignoramus12901 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> you need to use sudo to get root shell and then passwd to set root
    >>> password. Then you can do su to log on as root
    >>>
    >>> sudo passwd
    >>>

    >>> su -
    >>>

    >> No. No. No.
    >>
    >> Please do not advise a new user to enable the root account.
    >>
    >> sudo is the way Ubuntu works.
    >>
    >> Let the users learn the OS before giving them the weapons to shoot
    >> themselves with.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.
    >>

    > I am an old school guy and I am very used to su. (obviously doing as
    > little as root as possible).

    Me too, but I still haven't enabled the root account in any of my
    ubuntu installs.

    I use it frequently in other distro's though.

    > But you may be right.

    There is a very good reason why Ubuntu keeps root inactive. It makes
    you *think*.

    This is a good thing IMHO.

    > I recall some strange instances, with Gutsy I think, when a filesystem
    > check failed and it asked me to log on as root and asked for root
    > password.

    Interesting. I've never seen such a thing. I am not doubting you BTW.

    > I was glad that I set the root password, then, as I would be left out
    > of the system.

    Actually, you can always log in as "single user" or "recovery mode"
    from the grub menu. This gives you full root access.

    There's still no need to enable the root account in Ubuntu.

    --
    Moog

    "The G is for the gnarled face of someone who's on ninety thousand
    pounds a week who reckoned he should have had a throw in"

  8. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    Derryl Killan wrote:

    Hi Moog I have the basic knowledge of
    the terminal in hand with some excellent
    resource books.

    I won't try to reformat my hard drive.
    I want to get Adept Manager to download
    and install some of the many thousand
    titles available.

    I am very pleased with Ubuntu Linux
    8.04. I have not needed to go into MS
    Windows at all.

    Thank you for your help, gang.

    Kindest regards

    Derryl
    > Ignoramus12901 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> On 2008-05-14, Derryl Killan wrote:
    >>> Hi Gang
    >>>
    >>> I want to use the Adept Manager but I
    >>> don't have root privileges.
    >>>
    >>> Tell me how to change my system
    >>> configuration so I can have sys admin
    >>> privileges.
    >>>
    >>> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Derryl Killan

    >> you need to use sudo to get root shell and then passwd to set root
    >> password. Then you can do su to log on as root
    >>
    >> sudo passwd
    >>

    >> su -
    >>

    > No. No. No.
    >
    > Please do not advise a new user to enable the root account.
    >
    > sudo is the way Ubuntu works.
    >
    > Let the users learn the OS before giving them the weapons to shoot
    > themselves with.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

  9. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    Derryl Killan illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Derryl Killan wrote:
    >
    > Hi Moog I have the basic knowledge of
    > the terminal in hand with some excellent
    > resource books.
    >
    > I won't try to reformat my hard drive.
    > I want to get Adept Manager to download
    > and install some of the many thousand
    > titles available.
    >
    > I am very pleased with Ubuntu Linux
    > 8.04. I have not needed to go into MS
    > Windows at all.
    >
    > Thank you for your help, gang.
    >
    > Kindest regards
    >
    > Derryl

    Derryl,

    Do *not* enable the root account. You don't need to

    Open a terminal
    Applications -> Accesories -> Terminal

    Type (without the $ prompt)
    $ sudo adept
    Enter you username.

    You now have full root privileges.

    HTH

    --
    Moog

    "The G is for the gnarled face of someone who's on ninety thousand
    pounds a week who reckoned he should have had a throw in"

  10. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    Moog illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Derryl Killan illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Derryl Killan wrote:
    >>
    >> Hi Moog I have the basic knowledge of
    >> the terminal in hand with some excellent
    >> resource books.
    >>
    >> I won't try to reformat my hard drive.
    >> I want to get Adept Manager to download
    >> and install some of the many thousand
    >> titles available.
    >>
    >> I am very pleased with Ubuntu Linux
    >> 8.04. I have not needed to go into MS
    >> Windows at all.
    >>
    >> Thank you for your help, gang.
    >>
    >> Kindest regards
    >>
    >> Derryl

    > Derryl,
    >
    > Do *not* enable the root account. You don't need to
    >
    > Open a terminal
    > Applications -> Accesories -> Terminal
    >
    > Type (without the $ prompt)
    > $ sudo adept
    > Enter you username.

    Enter your login password>

    It's been a long day, please forgive me.

    --
    Moog

    "The G is for the gnarled face of someone who's on ninety thousand
    pounds a week who reckoned he should have had a throw in"

  11. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    Ignoramus12901 wrote:

    > On 2008-05-14, Derryl Killan wrote:
    >> Hi Gang
    >>
    >> I want to use the Adept Manager but I
    >> don't have root privileges.
    >>
    >> Tell me how to change my system
    >> configuration so I can have sys admin
    >> privileges.
    >>
    >> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >> Derryl Killan

    > you need to use sudo to get root shell and then passwd to set root
    > password. Then you can do su to log on as root
    >
    > sudo passwd
    >

    > su -

    Terrible advice. Please stop offering your hairbrained advice in this
    newsgroup. It doesn't do anyone a service.

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    How to get help at Microsoft Support ...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C2SIZ5qsSQ

  12. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    On 2008-05-14, Ignoramus12901 wrote:

    > I am an old school guy and I am very used to su. (obviously doing as
    > little as root as possible).

    The emphasis on sudo over su is, I believe, an uniquely Ubuntu
    phenomenon although sudo is widely available in most modern distros.
    But I guess 'when in Rome ...'

    Andrew

    --
    HOWTO: Setup slrn, the CLI newsreader.

  13. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    andrew wrote:
    > On 2008-05-14, Ignoramus12901 wrote:
    >

    >> I am an old school guy and I am very used to su. (obviously doing as
    >> little as root as possible).
    >>

    > The emphasis on sudo over su is, I believe, an uniquely Ubuntu
    > phenomenon although sudo is widely available in most modern distros.
    > But I guess 'when in Rome ...'
    >
    > Andrew

    It's not when in any certain place, like Rome, Andrew, but it's for
    people who are not proficient using slrn. ;-)

    Someday they will learn enough to properly abuse sudo if they want, and
    by then they hopefully have picked up enough knowledge to bail out of
    their goofs. Until then, no easy password for Root is a wonderful idea.

    If Micr0$lut had taken a step like Canonical, and provided things to
    protect their customers, maybe Windows wouldn't be so easy to
    compromise. Consider how many Windows users run as the Administrator all
    the time, not even creating a restricted user account. Then they plug
    directly into the Internet without a NAT router or any firewall.

    Sudo isn't just Ubuntu, but not asking to provide Root a password during
    installation might be.

    I totally agree with Moog, NoStop, et al, that people should not offer
    the advice like Ignoramus did. Perhaps he was bragging; trying to
    impress everybody with his intelligence? I saw the opposite, as did
    Moog, NoStop, ....

    It's like teaching third graders about sex, when they aren't yet mature
    enough to know the consequences, etc.

    --
    John

  14. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    On 2008-05-15, John F. Morse wrote:
    > andrew wrote:
    >> On 2008-05-14, Ignoramus12901 wrote:
    >>

    >>> I am an old school guy and I am very used to su. (obviously doing as
    >>> little as root as possible).
    >>>

    >> The emphasis on sudo over su is, I believe, an uniquely Ubuntu
    >> phenomenon although sudo is widely available in most modern distros.
    >> But I guess 'when in Rome ...'
    >>
    >> Andrew

    > It's not when in any certain place, like Rome, Andrew, but it's for
    > people who are not proficient using slrn. ;-)
    >
    > Someday they will learn enough to properly abuse sudo if they want, and
    > by then they hopefully have picked up enough knowledge to bail out of
    > their goofs. Until then, no easy password for Root is a wonderful idea.

    They can always type

    sudo bash

    or

    sudo su -

    (not the same thing)

    > If Micr0$lut had taken a step like Canonical, and provided things to
    > protect their customers, maybe Windows wouldn't be so easy to
    > compromise. Consider how many Windows users run as the Administrator all
    > the time, not even creating a restricted user account. Then they plug
    > directly into the Internet without a NAT router or any firewall.

    Yep.

    > Sudo isn't just Ubuntu, but not asking to provide Root a password during
    > installation might be.
    >
    > I totally agree with Moog, NoStop, et al, that people should not offer
    > the advice like Ignoramus did. Perhaps he was bragging; trying to
    > impress everybody with his intelligence? I saw the opposite, as did
    > Moog, NoStop, ....
    >
    > It's like teaching third graders about sex, when they aren't yet mature
    > enough to know the consequences, etc.

    When you get your filesystem corrupted, and the OS is asking for a
    root password, which you did not define, you may change your mind. (*)

    (*) this may have changed since Gutsy
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  15. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    On 2008-05-15, Ignoramus12901 wrote:

    > When you get your filesystem corrupted, and the OS is asking for a
    > root password, which you did not define, you may change your mind. (*)
    >
    > (*) this may have changed since Gutsy

    It may have only asked you for a password BECAUSE you had defined one.
    I know I have had filesystem corruption before, and have never been
    asked for the root password.

    Nonetheless, it wouldn't lock you out of your system. Just boot into
    single-user mode. It has root priv's and never asks for a password.

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  16. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    DoStop illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > "Moog" wrote in message
    >

    >> Please do not advise a new user to enable the root account.
    >>

    > Another stupid f*cker that thinks he knows everything. You people are really
    > pieces fo sh*t. Go help blowstop with his daddy's balls since you don't have
    > a daddy.

    Hello Frank. Shifting names becuase everyone has you killfiled, eh?

    Nice try.

    --
    Moog

    "The G is for the gnarled face of someone who's on ninety thousand
    pounds a week who reckoned he should have had a throw in"

  17. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Fri, 16 May 2008 19:33:23 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >
    >> Hello Frank. Shifting names becuase everyone has you killfiled, eh?
    >>
    >> Nice try.
    >>

    > %BOS
    > [alt.os.linux.ubuntu]
    > Score:: = -9999
    > %EOS

    Heh, how about

    %BOS
    [alt.os.linux.ubuntu]
    Score: =-9999
    %EOS

    --
    Moog

    "The G is for the gnarled face of someone who's on ninety thousand
    pounds a week who reckoned he should have had a throw in"

  18. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    John F. Morse wrote:
    > Sudo isn't just Ubuntu, but not asking to provide Root a password during
    > installation might be.

    Mac OS X is the same way.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    Promote multi-use trails in northeast Indiana!
    http://www.NorthwestAllenTrails.org/

  19. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    On 17 May 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.ubuntu, in article
    , Moog wrote:

    >Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >> %BOS
    >> [alt.os.linux.ubuntu]
    >> Score:: = -9999
    >> %EOS

    That ought to slow your news reading down nicely.

    >Heh, how about
    >
    >%BOS
    >[alt.os.linux.ubuntu]
    >Score: =-9999
    >%EOS

    Just as bad. When your news reader OR spooler queries the news server
    for available articles, the server returns 8 headers:

    From:, Subject:, References:, Date:, Bytes:, Lines:, Message-ID: and Xref:

    Filtering on other headers requires the reader or spooler to either have
    to ask the server for the extra header for every article, or to download
    the entire article and then filter it. Either process is substantially
    slower than filtering on the information in the eight normal headers.

    [compton ~]$ grep -vE '^([%\[ ]|Score|$)' /var/spool/slrnpull/score | cut
    -d' ' -f1 | sort | uniq -c | column
    994 From: 9 References: 2 ~Subject:
    2 Lines: 404 Subject:
    25 Message-ID: 81 Xref:
    [compton ~]$ grep '^05.*ubuntu.*kill' .newslog | cut -d' ' -f1,4-6 | column
    05/01/2008 80/80 (18 killed), 05/10/2008 70/70 (22 killed),
    05/02/2008 124/124 (39 killed), 05/11/2008 67/67 (18 killed),
    05/03/2008 168/168 (71 killed), 05/12/2008 108/108 (44 killed),
    05/04/2008 139/139 (44 killed), 05/13/2008 57/57 (21 killed),
    05/05/2008 128/128 (54 killed), 05/14/2008 82/82 (37 killed),
    05/06/2008 285/285 (186 killed), 05/15/2008 190/190 (100 killed),
    05/08/2008 312/312 (143 killed), 05/16/2008 105/105 (49 killed),
    05/09/2008 93/93 (24 killed), 05/17/2008 65/65 (36 killed),
    [compton ~]$

    Admittedly, this group is starting to look like comp.os.linux.misc,
    though I'm seeing less and less useful posts here.

    Old guy

  20. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    On Sat, 17 May 2008 20:45:12 +0100, Trevor Best wrote:

    >>> %BOS
    >>> [alt.os.linux.ubuntu]
    >>> Score:: = -9999
    >>> %EOS

    >> Heh, how about
    >>
    >> %BOS
    >> [alt.os.linux.ubuntu]
    >> Score: =-9999
    >> %EOS

    > Thatllboutdoit, the Domestos of kill files, kills 99.9% of all known
    > trolls... DEAD!

    Both of those are considered "expensive" scoring, as another poster has
    explained.

    To get rid of most crap/spam/trolling, all that is needed is:

    %BOS[*]
    Score:: =-9999
    Subject: MI5
    From: "MI5Victim"
    From: "MI5-Victim"
    %EOS

    The last entry there (googlegroups) is particularly effective. See my sig
    block for further information on the UIP.