How do I get root Privileges - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on How do I get root Privileges - Ubuntu ; Dan C illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing: > On Mon, 26 May 2008 19:07:46 +0000, Moog wrote: > >>> In the end, it is linux. You can do what you want with it. Enable >>> the root ID if you prefer. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
Results 121 to 123 of 123

  1. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    Dan C illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Mon, 26 May 2008 19:07:46 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >
    >>> In the end, it is linux. You can do what you want with it. Enable
    >>> the root ID if you prefer. I still wouldn't recommend it to newbies,
    >>> though...

    >> Absolutely.
    >>
    >> Advising new users to enable and access a root account in Ubuntu is nuts.

    > Yeah. Wouldn't want n00bs to have proper control over their system, or
    > anything like that.
    >
    > Speaking of n00bs.....

    You're slacking (geddit?) Dan.

    That's only one of your "trademark" responses. I'm envious of the guy
    that got nearly all of them..

    I'm eagerly awating........
    "Who ties your shoelaces"
    "Bugger off Wind-droid"

    TIA.

    --
    Moog

    "The G is for the gnarled face of someone who's on ninety thousand
    pounds a week who reckoned he should have had a throw in"

  2. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    In article ,
    Dan C wrote:
    > > Advising new users to enable and access a root account in Ubuntu is nuts.

    > Yeah. Wouldn't want n00bs to have proper control over their system, or
    > anything like that.
    >
    > Speaking of n00bs.....

    You can control your system without an enabled root account.

    For systems with sensitive data stored on them, it is quite common to
    not enable a root account, and require all administrative access to take
    place through sudo.

    One reason for this is logging. If you have an enabled root account,
    and multiple administrators all know the password and use it, it is
    harder to keep track of who is on as root when. With sudo, you can log
    who it is sudoing (and you can have the log go to a separate machine, so
    you don't have to worry about the person erasing the log once they get
    root via sudo). In some fields, this kind of logging is a regulator
    requirement, and you can be subject to heavy fines if you do not do it.

    Also, a shared root account means that when someone leaves, you have to
    change the password and update everyone. That's a pain in the ass.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  3. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    On 2008-05-27, Tim Smith wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Dan C wrote:
    >> > Advising new users to enable and access a root account in Ubuntu is nuts.

    >> Yeah. Wouldn't want n00bs to have proper control over their system, or
    >> anything like that.
    >>
    >> Speaking of n00bs.....

    > You can control your system without an enabled root account.
    >
    > For systems with sensitive data stored on them, it is quite common to
    > not enable a root account, and require all administrative access to take
    > place through sudo.
    >
    > One reason for this is logging. If you have an enabled root account,
    > and multiple administrators all know the password and use it, it is
    > harder to keep track of who is on as root when.

    the traditional approach is to not enable direct root logins, and
    reuire users to either sudo or su.

    > With sudo, you can log who it is sudoing (and you can have the log
    > go to a separate machine, so you don't have to worry about the
    > person erasing the log once they get root via sudo). In some
    > fields, this kind of logging is a regulator requirement, and you can
    > be subject to heavy fines if you do not do it.
    >
    > Also, a shared root account means that when someone leaves, you have to
    > change the password and update everyone. That's a pain in the ass.

    True.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

+ Reply to Thread