How do I get root Privileges - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on How do I get root Privileges - Ubuntu ; Ignoramus4856 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing: > > That was my case exactly. I was glad that I had the root password, > then. > > I think that the suggestion "never define a root password" is harmful > bunk. There ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 123

Thread: How do I get root Privileges

  1. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    Ignoramus4856 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >
    > That was my case exactly. I was glad that I had the root password,
    > then.
    >
    > I think that the suggestion "never define a root password" is harmful
    > bunk.


    There are alternative methods to the *one* issue that asks for a root
    password.

    --
    Moog

    "The G is for the gnarled face of someone who's on ninety thousand
    pounds a week who reckoned he should have had a throw in"

  2. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    On 20 May 2008 19:36:20 GMT
    Moog wrote:

    > Ignoramus4856 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >
    > >
    > > That was my case exactly. I was glad that I had the root password,
    > > then.
    > >
    > > I think that the suggestion "never define a root password" is harmful
    > > bunk.

    >
    > There are alternative methods to the *one* issue that asks for a root
    > password.


    There might be workarounds, but they make the fsck more difficult,
    especially for newbies. I still don't think not knowing the root
    password of your own machine is beneficial to anyone. Sure there are
    users who shouldn't know the root password (like remote accounts on
    servers), but these shouldnt be unrestricted "sudoers" either.



  3. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    Johannes Kroll illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On 20 May 2008 19:36:20 GMT
    > Moog wrote:
    >
    >> Ignoramus4856 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>
    >> >
    >> > That was my case exactly. I was glad that I had the root password,
    >> > then.
    >> >
    >> > I think that the suggestion "never define a root password" is harmful
    >> > bunk.

    >>
    >> There are alternative methods to the *one* issue that asks for a root
    >> password.

    >
    > There might be workarounds, but they make the fsck more difficult,
    > especially for newbies. I still don't think not knowing the root
    > password of your own machine is beneficial to anyone. Sure there are
    > users who shouldn't know the root password (like remote accounts on
    > servers), but these shouldnt be unrestricted "sudoers" either.


    Root access for new users is what we are talking about.

    If anyone else wants to enable root, then I am not averse to it.

    I don't need it, but I understand others like to work that way.

    If you think giving root access to new users is the right thing to do,
    then I'm sorry, you live on a completely different "linux planet" to me.

    --
    Moog

    "The G is for the gnarled face of someone who's on ninety thousand
    pounds a week who reckoned he should have had a throw in"

  4. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    On 2008-05-20, Moog wrote:
    > Ignoramus4856 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >
    >>
    >> That was my case exactly. I was glad that I had the root password,
    >> then.
    >>
    >> I think that the suggestion "never define a root password" is harmful
    >> bunk.

    >
    > There are alternative methods to the *one* issue that asks for a root
    > password.
    >


    Yeah. And how about having a bad .bashrc that exits you out of your
    own account? Or bad /home permissions? Or a myriad of other things
    than can go wrong?

    I think that root access should be used minimally, but it is necessary
    to have a root password.

    --
    Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their inattention
    to spammers, I and many others block all articles originating
    from Google Groups. If you want your postings to be seen by
    more readers you will need to find a different means of
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  5. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    On 20 May 2008 19:19:03 GMT
    Moog wrote:

    > Johannes Kroll illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:


    > > Apparently not. I still don't want to damage my root file system to
    > > check, but this post (read through to the one from euphonic05) seems to
    > > confirm what I wrote in the rest of the message: if the root FS is
    > > corrupt and you start in recovery mode, fsck runs, and you will be
    > > prompted for the root password to continue.
    > >
    > > http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-438361.html

    >
    > Oh. Sorry. I misunderstood you.


    No problem.

    > In which case. why not run fsck from the LiveCD?


    Sure. This is a workaround though. You need to have the LiveCD handy,
    your machine has to be able to boot from CD-ROM (not all can; you
    might have to change BIOS settings; ...)

    Not knowing the root password doesn't give you any extra "security".
    After all, unrestricted sudo has the same effect. The only (maybe) good
    thing about the random root password is that it discourages doing more
    than necessary as root. However once you figure out how to set the root
    password, you're probably experienced enough to handle "su". ;-)



  6. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    Ignoramus4856 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On 2008-05-20, Moog wrote:
    >> Ignoramus4856 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>
    >>>
    >>> That was my case exactly. I was glad that I had the root password,
    >>> then.
    >>>
    >>> I think that the suggestion "never define a root password" is harmful
    >>> bunk.

    >>
    >> There are alternative methods to the *one* issue that asks for a root
    >> password.
    >>

    >
    > Yeah. And how about having a bad .bashrc that exits you out of your
    > own account? Or bad /home permissions? Or a myriad of other things
    > than can go wrong?


    And there are a myriad way of fixing them without having a root
    password enabled. Sheesh.

    > I think that root access should be used minimally, but it is necessary
    > to have a root password.


    We agree on something. All I have stated in this thread is that new
    users should not be encourage to set a root password.

    You seem to agree with me on one hand, but disagree with me with the
    other. Is this a habit with you?

    --
    Moog

    "The G is for the gnarled face of someone who's on ninety thousand
    pounds a week who reckoned he should have had a throw in"

  7. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    Johannes Kroll illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >
    > However once you figure out how to set the root
    > password, you're probably experienced enough to handle "su". ;-)


    Would you care to read back on this thread. All I stated was that a
    news user should not be encouraged to set and use a root password.

    You seem to be agreeing with me also.

    --
    Moog

    "The G is for the gnarled face of someone who's on ninety thousand
    pounds a week who reckoned he should have had a throw in"

  8. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    On 2008-05-20, Moog wrote:
    > Ignoramus4856 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> On 2008-05-20, Moog wrote:
    >>> Ignoramus4856 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>>
    >>>>
    >>>> That was my case exactly. I was glad that I had the root password,
    >>>> then.
    >>>>
    >>>> I think that the suggestion "never define a root password" is harmful
    >>>> bunk.
    >>>
    >>> There are alternative methods to the *one* issue that asks for a root
    >>> password.
    >>>

    >>
    >> Yeah. And how about having a bad .bashrc that exits you out of your
    >> own account? Or bad /home permissions? Or a myriad of other things
    >> than can go wrong?

    >
    > And there are a myriad way of fixing them without having a root
    > password enabled. Sheesh.


    all rotating about rebooting in single user mode?

    >> I think that root access should be used minimally, but it is necessary
    >> to have a root password.

    >
    > We agree on something. All I have stated in this thread is that new
    > users should not be encourage to set a root password.
    >
    > You seem to agree with me on one hand, but disagree with me with the
    > other. Is this a habit with you?


    I just have my own opinions. And the opinion that root access should
    be used minimally, is universally shared.

    --
    Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their inattention
    to spammers, I and many others block all articles originating
    from Google Groups. If you want your postings to be seen by
    more readers you will need to find a different means of
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  9. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    On 20 May 2008 19:56:05 GMT
    Moog wrote:

    > Johannes Kroll illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > > On 20 May 2008 19:36:20 GMT
    > > Moog wrote:
    > >
    > >> Ignoramus4856 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > >>
    > >> >
    > >> > That was my case exactly. I was glad that I had the root password,
    > >> > then.
    > >> >
    > >> > I think that the suggestion "never define a root password" is harmful
    > >> > bunk.
    > >>
    > >> There are alternative methods to the *one* issue that asks for a root
    > >> password.

    > >
    > > There might be workarounds, but they make the fsck more difficult,
    > > especially for newbies. I still don't think not knowing the root
    > > password of your own machine is beneficial to anyone. Sure there are
    > > users who shouldn't know the root password (like remote accounts on
    > > servers), but these shouldnt be unrestricted "sudoers" either.

    >
    > Root access for new users is what we are talking about.
    >
    > If anyone else wants to enable root, then I am not averse to it.
    >
    > I don't need it, but I understand others like to work that way.


    If you mean working as root, I don't do that, usually. One exception is
    installing nvidia drivers.


    > If you think giving root access to new users is the right thing to do,
    > then I'm sorry, you live on a completely different "linux planet" to me.


    (I'm not living on a "linux planet"; I use it because as I see it
    there's currently no viable alternative...)


    Ignoramus4856 wrote:
    > Yeah. And how about having a bad .bashrc that exits you out of your
    > own account? Or bad /home permissions? Or a myriad of other things
    > than can go wrong?
    >
    > I think that root access should be used minimally, but it is necessary
    > to have a root password.


    Exactly my point.



  10. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    Ignoramus4856 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >
    >> We agree on something. All I have stated in this thread is that new
    >> users should not be encourage to set a root password.
    >>
    >> You seem to agree with me on one hand, but disagree with me with the
    >> other. Is this a habit with you?

    >
    > I just have my own opinions. And the opinion that root access should
    > be used minimally, is universally shared.


    Christ. You're arguing with me again.

    I simply stated that news users should not be encourage to enable and
    use the root account in Ubuntu. This was pointed out to a person who'd
    just recently installed ubuntu in the very thread.

    I have no problem with people that want to use the root account, as
    long as they *know* what its use entails.

    --
    Moog

    "The G is for the gnarled face of someone who's on ninety thousand
    pounds a week who reckoned he should have had a throw in"

  11. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    Johannes Kroll illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On 20 May 2008 19:56:05 GMT
    >
    >> If you think giving root access to new users is the right thing to do,
    >> then I'm sorry, you live on a completely different "linux planet" to me.

    >
    > (I'm not living on a "linux planet"; I use it because as I see it
    > there's currently no viable alternative...)


    Heh. It was a metaphoric remark. ;-)

    --
    Moog

    "The G is for the gnarled face of someone who's on ninety thousand
    pounds a week who reckoned he should have had a throw in"

  12. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    On 20 May 2008 20:12:22 GMT
    Moog wrote:

    > Johannes Kroll illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > > On 20 May 2008 19:56:05 GMT
    > >
    > >> If you think giving root access to new users is the right thing to do,
    > >> then I'm sorry, you live on a completely different "linux planet" to me.

    > >
    > > (I'm not living on a "linux planet"; I use it because as I see it
    > > there's currently no viable alternative...)

    >
    > Heh. It was a metaphoric remark. ;-)


    Mine too.


  13. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    On 20 May 2008 20:04:42 GMT
    Moog wrote:

    > Johannes Kroll illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >
    > >
    > > However once you figure out how to set the root
    > > password, you're probably experienced enough to handle "su". ;-)

    >
    > Would you care to read back on this thread. All I stated was that a
    > news user should not be encouraged to set and use a root password.
    >
    > You seem to be agreeing with me also.


    Not quite. I still find the missing root password annoying.


    --
    Was ist ist, was nicht ist ist moeglich

  14. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    On Tue, 20 May 2008 23:15:35 +0200, Johannes Kroll wrote:

    > On 20 May 2008 20:04:42 GMT
    > Moog wrote:
    >
    >> Johannes Kroll illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>
    >> >
    >> > However once you figure out how to set the root password, you're
    >> > probably experienced enough to handle "su". ;-)

    >>
    >> Would you care to read back on this thread. All I stated was that a
    >> news user should not be encouraged to set and use a root password.
    >>
    >> You seem to be agreeing with me also.

    >
    > Not quite. I still find the missing root password annoying.


    *shrug*.

    Sometimes I need to be root for stuff like crontab editing, so I do this:

    prawn@hactar:~$ sudo su
    [sudo] password for prawn:
    root@hactar:/home/prawn# whoami
    root
    root@hactar:/home/prawn#

    Looks like root to me :-)
    --
    p BotM#1 LotR#9
    http://www.last.fm/user/prawnuk

  15. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    On 20 May 2008 12:42:51 GMT, Moog wrote the
    following:

    >Ian Anderson illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >
    >>>Let the users learn the OS before giving them the weapons to shoot
    >>>themselves with.

    >>
    >> I'm trying to learn about Ubuntu 8.04 but if someone gives me the
    >> weapons to shoot myself in the foot, well after all it is my foot.
    >>
    >> I'm finally off to bed now but if anyone could point me in the
    >> direction of replacing the above mentioned Opera files: "opera6.adr &
    >> wand.dat", I would appreciate their help.

    >
    >No problem.
    >
    >On oyur top gnome menu bar...
    >Places -> Home Folder
    >
    >Select "View -> Show Hidden Files" (or simply press ctrl-h)
    >
    >Navigate to the ".opera" folder
    >Open and paste the two files into there.


    That's where Ubuntu puts up an error message and won't allow me to
    paste the two files there. Ubuntu tells me the Opera files aren't mine
    and I don't have permission.
    --

    Ian

  16. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    On Wed, 21 May 2008 01:38:08 +0100, Trevor Best
    wrote the following:

    >On Tue, 20 May 2008 22:22:29 +0000, Ian Anderson wrote:
    >
    >> On 20 May 2008 12:42:51 GMT, Moog wrote the
    >> following:
    >>
    >>>> I'm finally off to bed now but if anyone could point me in the
    >>>> direction of replacing the above mentioned Opera files: "opera6.adr &
    >>>> wand.dat", I would appreciate their help.
    >>>
    >>>No problem.
    >>>
    >>>On oyur top gnome menu bar...
    >>>Places -> Home Folder
    >>>
    >>>Select "View -> Show Hidden Files" (or simply press ctrl-h)
    >>>
    >>>Navigate to the ".opera" folder
    >>>Open and paste the two files into there.

    >>
    >> That's where Ubuntu puts up an error message and won't allow me to
    >> paste the two files there. Ubuntu tells me the Opera files aren't mine
    >> and I don't have permission.

    >
    >Open a terminal:
    >
    >$ cd ~/.opera
    >$ sudo chown ian *
    >
    >assuming your username is "ian", now you own them.


    Thanks for helping but I un-installed "Hardy Heron", I decided not to
    bother with it for now.
    --

    Ian

  17. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    On Wed, 21 May 2008 01:26:33 +0100, Trevor Best wrote:

    > On Tue, 20 May 2008 22:25:21 +0100, prawn wrote:
    >
    >> *shrug*.
    >>
    >> Sometimes I need to be root for stuff like crontab editing, so I do
    >> this:
    >>
    >> prawn@hactar:~$ sudo su
    >> [sudo] password for prawn:
    >> root@hactar:/home/prawn# whoami
    >> root
    >> root@hactar:/home/prawn#
    >>
    >> Looks like root to me :-)

    >
    > Notice it asked you for *your* password and not root's. There's a
    > difference between being a sudoer and logging in as root.


    Is there? The nuance between being root from sudo su and 'real' root has
    evaded my radar heretofore. It's not like you can't have a root login in
    a sudo based environment anyway. Oh, and what other password would you
    suggest I use :-)

    --
    p BotM#1 LotR#9
    http://www.last.fm/user/prawnuk

  18. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    Johannes Kroll wrote:


    > Not knowing the root password doesn't give you any extra "security".
    > After all, unrestricted sudo has the same effect. The only (maybe) good
    > thing about the random root password is that it discourages doing more


    There is no random root password in Ubuntu. There is *no* valid root
    password at all. The password hash in /etc/shadow is set to ! for
    root, which isn't a valid result for the crypt() system call. So
    there's no password for which the hash matches the one in
    /etc/shadow, i.e. every password is invalid.

    > than necessary as root. However once you figure out how to set the root
    > password,


    sudo passwd is hard to find

    > you're probably experienced enough to handle "su". ;-)


    sudo gives you more flexibility than su. Have a lokk at man sudoers to
    see what you can do with sudo.


    Florian
    --

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    ** Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me into your signature, please! **
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

  19. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    prawn illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Wed, 21 May 2008 01:26:33 +0100, Trevor Best wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 20 May 2008 22:25:21 +0100, prawn wrote:
    >>
    >>> *shrug*.
    >>>
    >>> Sometimes I need to be root for stuff like crontab editing, so I do
    >>> this:
    >>>
    >>> prawn@hactar:~$ sudo su
    >>> [sudo] password for prawn:
    >>> root@hactar:/home/prawn# whoami
    >>> root
    >>> root@hactar:/home/prawn#
    >>>
    >>> Looks like root to me :-)

    >>
    >> Notice it asked you for *your* password and not root's. There's a
    >> difference between being a sudoer and logging in as root.

    >
    > Is there? The nuance between being root from sudo su and 'real' root has
    > evaded my radar heretofore. It's not like you can't have a root login in
    > a sudo based environment anyway. Oh, and what other password would you
    > suggest I use :-)


    I think it's more down to what people are *used* to.

    If they come from a background in another distro, then they simply
    decided that "root" account usage is the correct way.

    It indeed, saves them learning how to sudo...but hell, choice abounds.

    I stand by my view that telling a new Ubuntu user to enable and use
    their root account is completely the wrong thing to do.

    --
    Moog

    "The G is for the gnarled face of someone who's on ninety thousand
    pounds a week who reckoned he should have had a throw in"

  20. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Tue, 20 May 2008 20:08:21 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >
    >>> I just have my own opinions. And the opinion that root access should
    >>> be used minimally, is universally shared.

    >>
    >> Christ. You're arguing with me again.

    >
    > Christ? Are you sure it's not Hadron? ;-)


    Haven't you heard? Hadron is *everyone* ;-)

    --
    Moog

    "The G is for the gnarled face of someone who's on ninety thousand
    pounds a week who reckoned he should have had a throw in"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast