How do I get root Privileges - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on How do I get root Privileges - Ubuntu ; Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing: > On Sat, 17 May 2008 12:34:07 +0000, Moog wrote: > >> Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing: >>> On Fri, 16 May 2008 19:33:23 +0000, Moog wrote: >>> >>>> Hello Frank. Shifting names ...

  1. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Sat, 17 May 2008 12:34:07 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >
    >> Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> %BOS
    >>> [alt.os.linux.ubuntu]
    >>> Score:: = -9999
    >>> %EOS

    >> Heh, how about
    >>
    >> %BOS
    >> [alt.os.linux.ubuntu]
    >> Score: =-9999
    >> %EOS

    > Thatllboutdoit, the Domestos of kill files, kills 99.9% of all known
    > trolls... DEAD!

    Oooh....Cillit Bang the buggers. ;-)

    --
    Moog

    "The G is for the gnarled face of someone who's on ninety thousand
    pounds a week who reckoned he should have had a throw in"

  2. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Sat, 17 May 2008 19:45:49 -0500, Dan C wrote:

    > Just that one was very effective in this group. I'll put the others in
    > and give them a whirl, ta.

    Absolutely. Best thing I've ever done.

    In fact, I've not seen a Hadron post since doing this. Did he always
    x-post to cola?

    --
    Moog

    "The G is for the gnarled face of someone who's on ninety thousand
    pounds a week who reckoned he should have had a throw in"

  3. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Sun, 18 May 2008 09:43:29 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >
    >> Oooh....Cillit Bang the buggers. ;-)

    > HI I'M BARRY SCOTT!!!!

    He's a genius. Almost as legendary as Barry Bethell.

    --
    Moog

    "The G is for the gnarled face of someone who's on ninety thousand
    pounds a week who reckoned he should have had a throw in"

  4. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Sun, 18 May 2008 09:44:12 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >
    >> Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> On Sat, 17 May 2008 19:45:49 -0500, Dan C wrote:

    >>> Just that one was very effective in this group. I'll put the others in
    >>> and give them a whirl, ta.

    >> Absolutely. Best thing I've ever done.
    >>
    >> In fact, I've not seen a Hadron post since doing this. Did he always
    >> x-post to cola?

    > I was going to mention that... but I didn't want to jinx it, if I see him
    > again it'll be your fault :-)

    B*ll*x. I've just darn gona and dun it, innit?

    --
    Moog

    "The G is for the gnarled face of someone who's on ninety thousand
    pounds a week who reckoned he should have had a throw in"

  5. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Sun, 18 May 2008 09:43:29 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >
    >> Oooh....Cillit Bang the buggers. ;-)

    > OMG! http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR217388

    I'm so gonna get it.

    --
    Moog

    "The G is for the gnarled face of someone who's on ninety thousand
    pounds a week who reckoned he should have had a throw in"

  6. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    wrote:

    >>> Heh, how about
    >>>
    >>> %BOS
    >>> [alt.os.linux.ubuntu]
    >>> Score: =-9999
    >>> %EOS

    >> Thatllboutdoit, the Domestos of kill files, kills 99.9% of all known
    >> trolls... DEAD!

    >Both of those are considered "expensive" scoring, as another poster has
    >explained.
    >
    >To get rid of most crap/spam/trolling, all that is needed is:
    >
    >%BOS
    >[*]
    >Score:: =-9999
    > Subject: MI5
    > Subject: M.I.5
    > From: "MI5Victim"
    > From: "MI5-Victim"
    >%EOS
    >
    >The last entry there (googlegroups) is particularly effective. See my sig
    >block for further information on the UIP.

    This brings up something interesting; at least to me :-)
    Though I never paid a lot of attention to the MI5 guy it seems to me I
    read that he does not reside in the Land of Eng. I also read
    somewhere that MI5 is sort of like the FBI in that they are only
    authorized to operate in Great Britain; MI6 is the overseas group.
    This is hearsay to me, but I would be interested to know if this is
    correct. If I have understood all this correctly it really throws a
    wrench in the MI5 guy's story.

    Roy Strachan - Registered Linux User 469226

  7. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    I have thought alot about this concept that I have to type sudo for
    every command, and I think now that it is total bunk.

    What if you need to do a lot of things together as root?

    Let's say to create a bunch of directories, download and install
    stuff, set up root cron jobs, and so on.

    Then just get root shell and do it.

    Not everyone is a little consumer style user who is OK with just
    running firefox and totem. Some people like to set up a lot of things
    and they need regular root shell.

    Also, with sudo, someone walking past their terminal may be able to
    get root if that happens soon after the user used sudo. Not good.

  8. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    Roy Strachan wrote:
    > Though I never paid a lot of attention to the MI5 guy it seems to me I
    > read that he does not reside in the Land of Eng. I also read
    > somewhere that MI5 is sort of like the FBI in that they are only
    > authorized to operate in Great Britain; MI6 is the overseas group.
    > This is hearsay to me, but I would be interested to know if this is
    > correct. If I have understood all this correctly it really throws a
    > wrench in the MI5 guy's story.

    Are you asking for a rational analysis of the words of a lunatic?

    --
    Wes Groleau

    "There ain't nothin' in this world that's worth being a snot over."
    -- Larry Wall

  9. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    * Ignoramus24782 :
    > I have thought alot about this concept that I have to type sudo for
    > every command, and I think now that it is total bunk.
    >
    > What if you need to do a lot of things together as root?

    sudo -i

    --
    James Michael Fultz
    Remove this part when replying ^^^^^^^^

  10. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    On Sun, 18 May 2008 20:07:13 -0500, Ignoramus24782 wrote:

    > Also, with sudo, someone walking past their terminal may be able to get
    > root if that happens soon after the user used sudo. Not good.

    That is easy to fix. You set the timer for how long your sudo
    authorization lasts to 1 second.

    Now the not so easy part...how do we figure out how to set this timer?

    stonerfish

  11. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    On 14 May 2008 20:04:38 GMT, Moog wrote the
    following:

    >Ignoramus12901 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> On 2008-05-14, Derryl Killan wrote:
    >>> Hi Gang
    >>>
    >>> I want to use the Adept Manager but I
    >>> don't have root privileges.
    >>>
    >>> Tell me how to change my system
    >>> configuration so I can have sys admin
    >>> privileges.
    >>>
    >>> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Derryl Killan

    >> you need to use sudo to get root shell and then passwd to set root
    >> password. Then you can do su to log on as root
    >>
    >> sudo passwd
    >>

    >> su -

    I'm a new Ubuntu 8.04 user too just installed it today as a dual boot
    with WinXP Pro and I've been playing around with it for about 12
    hours, reading Help files and now reading newsgroups to learn about
    Ubuntu.

    I don't want to use Firefox as my browser so I downloaded and
    installed Opera which is the browser I want to use.

    I need to update Opera with my current bookmarks and passwords so I
    want to replace two Opera files: "opera6.adr & wand.dat" but Ubuntu
    won't allow me to.

    >No. No. No.
    >
    >Please do not advise a new user to enable the root account.
    >
    >sudo is the way Ubuntu works.

    I've used Opera before with earlier Ubuntu versions and never before
    had any problems updating Opera bookmarks or passwords so this is new
    to me.

    So far I've installed the OS and the Opera browser and I've spent most
    of the day trying to setup the Opera bookmarks and passwords.

    >Let the users learn the OS before giving them the weapons to shoot
    >themselves with.

    I'm trying to learn about Ubuntu 8.04 but if someone gives me the
    weapons to shoot myself in the foot, well after all it is my foot.

    I'm finally off to bed now but if anyone could point me in the
    direction of replacing the above mentioned Opera files: "opera6.adr &
    wand.dat", I would appreciate their help.
    --

    Ian

  12. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    Ian Anderson illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>Let the users learn the OS before giving them the weapons to shoot
    >>themselves with.

    > I'm trying to learn about Ubuntu 8.04 but if someone gives me the
    > weapons to shoot myself in the foot, well after all it is my foot.
    >
    > I'm finally off to bed now but if anyone could point me in the
    > direction of replacing the above mentioned Opera files: "opera6.adr &
    > wand.dat", I would appreciate their help.

    No problem.

    On oyur top gnome menu bar...
    Places -> Home Folder

    Select "View -> Show Hidden Files" (or simply press ctrl-h)

    Navigate to the ".opera" folder
    Open and paste the two files into there.

    Voila.

    You can also do this from from the terminal windwo

    cp /path/to/old/opera/files ~/.opera

    HTH

    --
    Moog

    "The G is for the gnarled face of someone who's on ninety thousand
    pounds a week who reckoned he should have had a throw in"

  13. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    Moog illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Ian Anderson illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >
    >>>Let the users learn the OS before giving them the weapons to shoot
    >>>themselves with.

    >> I'm trying to learn about Ubuntu 8.04 but if someone gives me the
    >> weapons to shoot myself in the foot, well after all it is my foot.
    >>
    >> I'm finally off to bed now but if anyone could point me in the
    >> direction of replacing the above mentioned Opera files: "opera6.adr &
    >> wand.dat", I would appreciate their help.

    > No problem.

    > On *YOUR* top gnome menu bar...
    > Places -> Home Folder
    >
    > Select "View -> Show Hidden Files" (or simply press ctrl-h)

    > Navigate to the ".opera" folder
    > *COPY* and paste the two files into there.

    > Voila.
    >
    > You can also do this from from the terminal windwo
    >
    > cp /path/to/old/opera/files ~/.opera
    >
    > HTH

    Me and my fat fingers!

    --
    Moog

    "The G is for the gnarled face of someone who's on ninety thousand
    pounds a week who reckoned he should have had a throw in"

  14. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    On 14 May 2008 21:17:56 GMT
    Moog wrote:

    > Ignoramus12901 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > > I am an old school guy and I am very used to su. (obviously doing as
    > > little as root as possible).

    > Me too, but I still haven't enabled the root account in any of my
    > ubuntu installs.
    >
    > I use it frequently in other distro's though.
    >
    > > But you may be right.

    > There is a very good reason why Ubuntu keeps root inactive. It makes
    > you *think*.

    How's that? Once you have a power outage and fsck fails on bootup, if
    you don't know the root password you're stuck. Everybody using a Linux
    machine without employing a dedicated sysadmin must know the root
    password.

    Of course its not advisable to do normal work as root. However, I'm not
    sure whether not telling users the root password is a good thing to do.
    After all, you can always do "sudo su".
    Not knowing the root password after an install just feels like having
    to "fight" with the system. Like some sort of stupid parental
    control. ;-)

    > This is a good thing IMHO.
    >
    > > I recall some strange instances, with Gutsy I think, when a filesystem
    > > check failed and it asked me to log on as root and asked for root
    > > password.

    > Interesting. I've never seen such a thing. I am not doubting you BTW.
    >
    > > I was glad that I set the root password, then, as I would be left out
    > > of the system.

    > Actually, you can always log in as "single user" or "recovery mode"
    > from the grub menu. This gives you full root access.

    I doubt that this will solve the problem: fsck will also run at
    "single user" boot, and on unrecoverable errors prompt for the root
    password. (I didn't try this, though, and I don't want to damage my
    root file system to verify it. :-))

  15. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    Johannes Kroll illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On 14 May 2008 21:17:56 GMT
    > Moog wrote:
    >
    >> Ignoramus12901 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >> > I am an old school guy and I am very used to su. (obviously doing as
    >> > little as root as possible).

    >> Me too, but I still haven't enabled the root account in any of my
    >> ubuntu installs.
    >>
    >> I use it frequently in other distro's though.
    >>
    >> > But you may be right.

    >> There is a very good reason why Ubuntu keeps root inactive. It makes
    >> you *think*.

    > How's that? Once you have a power outage and fsck fails on bootup, if
    > you don't know the root password you're stuck. Everybody using a Linux
    > machine without employing a dedicated sysadmin must know the root
    > password.
    >
    > Of course its not advisable to do normal work as root. However, I'm not
    > sure whether not telling users the root password is a good thing to do.

    Interesting, but quite wrong.

    RTFM,....specifically the bit that describes "recovery mode" (latterly
    known as single user mode).

    HTH.

    --
    Moog

    "The G is for the gnarled face of someone who's on ninety thousand
    pounds a week who reckoned he should have had a throw in"

  16. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    On Mon, 19 May 2008 08:19:16 +0100
    Trevor Best wrote:

    > On Sun, 18 May 2008 20:07:13 -0500, Ignoramus24782 wrote:
    >
    > > I have thought alot about this concept that I have to type sudo for
    > > every command, and I think now that it is total bunk.
    > >
    > > What if you need to do a lot of things together as root?
    > >
    > > Let's say to create a bunch of directories, download and install
    > > stuff, set up root cron jobs, and so on.
    > >
    > > Then just get root shell and do it.
    > >
    > > Not everyone is a little consumer style user who is OK with just
    > > running firefox and totem. Some people like to set up a lot of things
    > > and they need regular root shell.

    > I find if I'm going to be sudoing for the next 10 minutes or so I use:
    >
    > $ sudo bash

    Or sudo -i, like someone else wrote.
    So what is the difference to "su", then? Apart from not knowing the
    root password?

    > > Also, with sudo, someone walking past their terminal may be able to
    > > get root if that happens soon after the user used sudo. Not good.

    > And if you left a root terminal open as opposed to having just used sudo?
    >
    > Lock the workstation if there's a danger of something else having a go at
    > your PC, do you leave your wallet and keys on your desk as you go
    > somewhere else too?
    >
    > BTW if that's a problem you have at work, you have an HR problem rather
    > than an IT problem.

    True.

  17. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    On 20 May 2008 18:41:57 GMT
    Moog wrote:

    > Johannes Kroll illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > > On 14 May 2008 21:17:56 GMT
    > > Moog wrote:
    > >
    > >> Ignoramus12901 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > >> Me too, but I still haven't enabled the root account in any of my
    > >> ubuntu installs.
    > >>
    > >> I use it frequently in other distro's though.

    > >> There is a very good reason why Ubuntu keeps root inactive. It makes
    > >> you *think*.

    > > How's that? Once you have a power outage and fsck fails on bootup, if
    > > you don't know the root password you're stuck. Everybody using a Linux
    > > machine without employing a dedicated sysadmin must know the root
    > > password.
    > >
    > > Of course its not advisable to do normal work as root. However, I'm not
    > > sure whether not telling users the root password is a good thing to do.

    > Interesting, but quite wrong.

    Apparently not. I still don't want to damage my root file system to
    check, but this post (read through to the one from euphonic05) seems to
    confirm what I wrote in the rest of the message: if the root FS is
    corrupt and you start in recovery mode, fsck runs, and you will be
    prompted for the root password to continue.

  18. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    --
    Moog

    "The G is for the gnarled face of someone who's on ninety thousand
    pounds a week who reckoned he should have had a throw in"

  19. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    Johannes Kroll illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On 20 May 2008 18:41:57 GMT
    > Moog wrote:
    >
    >> Johannes Kroll illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >> > How's that? Once you have a power outage and fsck fails on bootup, if
    >> > you don't know the root password you're stuck. Everybody using a Linux
    >> > machine without employing a dedicated sysadmin must know the root
    >> > password.
    >> >
    >> > Of course its not advisable to do normal work as root. However, I'm not
    >> > sure whether not telling users the root password is a good thing to do.

    >> Interesting, but quite wrong.

    > Apparently not. I still don't want to damage my root file system to
    > check, but this post (read through to the one from euphonic05) seems to
    > confirm what I wrote in the rest of the message: if the root FS is
    > corrupt and you start in recovery mode, fsck runs, and you will be
    > prompted for the root password to continue.
    >
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-438361.html

    Oh. Sorry. I misunderstood you.

    In which case. why not run fsck from the LiveCD?

    --
    Moog

    "The G is for the gnarled face of someone who's on ninety thousand
    pounds a week who reckoned he should have had a throw in"

  20. Re: How do I get root Privileges

    On 2008-05-20, Johannes Kroll wrote:
    > On 20 May 2008 18:41:57 GMT
    > Moog wrote:
    >
    >> Johannes Kroll illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >> > How's that? Once you have a power outage and fsck fails on bootup, if
    >> > you don't know the root password you're stuck. Everybody using a Linux
    >> > machine without employing a dedicated sysadmin must know the root
    >> > password.
    >> >
    >> > Of course its not advisable to do normal work as root. However, I'm not
    >> > sure whether not telling users the root password is a good thing to do.

    >> Interesting, but quite wrong.

    > Apparently not. I still don't want to damage my root file system to
    > check, but this post (read through to the one from euphonic05) seems to
    > confirm what I wrote in the rest of the message: if the root FS is
    > corrupt and you start in recovery mode, fsck runs, and you will be
    > prompted for the root password to continue.
    >
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-438361.html

    That was my case exactly. I was glad that I had the root password,
    then.

    I think that the suggestion "never define a root password" is harmful
    bunk.

    This is in fact the first thing I do after I install ubuntu, I type

    sudo passwd root

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/