DNS - Gateway files? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on DNS - Gateway files? - Ubuntu ; Hoping someone here can save me a pile of doc wading..... :-) Is there source (web page or ???) that lists the editable files that are responsible for DNS and Gateway routing? Posted my problem here before but am still ...

  1. DNS - Gateway files?

    Hoping someone here can save me a pile of doc wading..... :-)

    Is there source (web page or ???) that lists the editable files that are
    responsible for DNS and Gateway routing?

    Posted my problem here before but am still experiencing no internet access
    and/or no valid pings even though it appears I have a valid connection to a
    hot spot access point.

    Another thought just crossed my mind......using a DWA-142 wireless here
    with the Ubuntu driver installed. Could the driver be the source of this
    kind of problem?

    I'm really not into wading through the process of compiling ndiswrapper at
    the present time though it might be an option for future
    consideration....would like to consider all possibilities pertaining to the
    stock Ubuntu driver right now though.

    Any thoughts would be much appreciated....thanks! :-)

  2. Re: DNS - Gateway files?

    On 2008-05-14, propman wrote:

    > Hoping someone here can save me a pile of doc wading..... :-)
    >
    > Is there source (web page or ???) that lists the editable files that are
    > responsible for DNS and Gateway routing?
    >
    > Posted my problem here before but am still experiencing no internet access
    > and/or no valid pings even though it appears I have a valid connection to a
    > hot spot access point.
    >

    > Another thought just crossed my mind......using a DWA-142 wireless here
    > with the Ubuntu driver installed. Could the driver be the source of this
    > kind of problem?
    >
    > I'm really not into wading through the process of compiling ndiswrapper at
    > the present time though it might be an option for future
    > consideration....would like to consider all possibilities pertaining to the
    > stock Ubuntu driver right now though.
    >
    > Any thoughts would be much appreciated....thanks! :-)

    Don't know an URL offhand and don't have time to look it up, but here's
    a start:

    for nameservers:

    /etc/resolv.conf

    for interface configuration:

    /etc/network/interfaces

    Example - my network interfaces file on an kubuntu 8.04 machine:

    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
    address 10.10.1.17
    netmask 255.255.255.224
    gateway 10.10.1.30

    --

  3. Re: DNS - Gateway files?

    Thanks Jim....much appreciated.

    Jim Cochrane wrote in
    news:482a8849$0$30635$834e42db@reader.greatnowhere .com:

    > On 2008-05-14, propman wrote:
    >>
    >> Hoping someone here can save me a pile of doc wading..... :-)
    >>
    >> Is there source (web page or ???) that lists the editable files that
    >> are responsible for DNS and Gateway routing?

  4. Re: DNS - Gateway files?

    On 2008-05-14, propman wrote:

    > Hoping someone here can save me a pile of doc wading..... :-)
    >
    > Is there source (web page or ???) that lists the editable files that are
    > responsible for DNS and Gateway routing?
    >
    > Posted my problem here before but am still experiencing no internet access
    > and/or no valid pings even though it appears I have a valid connection to a
    > hot spot access point.
    >

    > Another thought just crossed my mind......using a DWA-142 wireless here
    > with the Ubuntu driver installed. Could the driver be the source of this
    > kind of problem?

    Yes

    > I'm really not into wading through the process of compiling ndiswrapper at
    > the present time though it might be an option for future
    > consideration....would like to consider all possibilities pertaining to the
    > stock Ubuntu driver right now though.

    You don't have to compile anything. NDIS Wrapper is a package, and
    even has a gui for use within X.

    > Any thoughts would be much appreciated....thanks! :-)

    I would try the Windows driver and see if it helps. You shouldn't
    have to manually edit anything for DNS or routing. The hotspot should
    be giving it to you via DHCP.

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  5. Re: DNS - Gateway files?

    Joe wrote in

    >> I'm really not into wading through the process of compiling
    >> ndiswrapper at the present time though it might be an option for
    >> future consideration....would like to consider all possibilities
    >> pertaining to the stock Ubuntu driver right now though.

    > You don't have to compile anything. NDIS Wrapper is a package, and
    > even has a gui for use within X.

    Cheers Joe....thanks for the tip. :-)

+ Reply to Thread