Hardy and Vostro screen resolution - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Hardy and Vostro screen resolution - Ubuntu ; My new Dell Vostro 1000 doesn't seem to like Ubuntu. The screen is jumpy and almost unusable. I can barely type in the username and password. Certainly can't use the terminal commands. Anybody got this laptop working with Ubuntu?...

  1. Hardy and Vostro screen resolution

    My new Dell Vostro 1000 doesn't seem to like Ubuntu. The screen is jumpy
    and almost unusable. I can barely type in the username and password.
    Certainly can't use the terminal commands. Anybody got this laptop
    working with Ubuntu?

  2. Re: Hardy and Vostro screen resolution

    Airman Thunderbird wrote:
    > My new Dell Vostro 1000 doesn't seem to like Ubuntu. The screen is jumpy
    > and almost unusable. I can barely type in the username and password.
    > Certainly can't use the terminal commands. Anybody got this laptop
    > working with Ubuntu?

    What is in it for video? Can you change the resolution?
    If it is a really new laptop you may just get generic advice.
    More details please.
    Bill Baka

  3. Re: Hardy and Vostro screen resolution

    It is brand new.

    Link here:
    http://www.dell.com/content/products...tab=bundlestab

    I don't seem to have the option to change the resolution, best I can tell
    through the jumpy display. It has an ATI Radeon Xpress 1150 256MB video
    card. So you think maybe Ubuntu just doesn't recognize the video? In
    windows, generic drivers let you at least see the monitor to install
    drivers. The ubuntu install is an inside windows Wubi, would a normal
    partitioned install make a difference? I'm kinda at a loss here, as you can
    tell.

    "Bill Baka" wrote in message
    news:H4udne6K8Py4g7bVnZ2dnUVZ_iydnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > Airman Thunderbird wrote:
    >> My new Dell Vostro 1000 doesn't seem to like Ubuntu. The screen is jumpy
    >> and almost unusable. I can barely type in the username and password.
    >> Certainly can't use the terminal commands. Anybody got this laptop
    >> working with Ubuntu?

    > What is in it for video? Can you change the resolution?
    > If it is a really new laptop you may just get generic advice.
    > More details please.
    > Bill Baka

  4. Re: Hardy and Vostro screen resolution

    Joe At Work wrote:
    > It is brand new.
    >
    > Link here:
    > http://www.dell.com/content/products...tab=bundlestab
    >
    > I don't seem to have the option to change the resolution, best I can tell
    > through the jumpy display. It has an ATI Radeon Xpress 1150 256MB video
    > card. So you think maybe Ubuntu just doesn't recognize the video? In
    > windows, generic drivers let you at least see the monitor to install
    > drivers. The ubuntu install is an inside windows Wubi, would a normal
    > partitioned install make a difference? I'm kinda at a loss here, as you can
    > tell.
    >
    > "Bill Baka" wrote in message
    > news:H4udne6K8Py4g7bVnZ2dnUVZ_iydnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    >> Airman Thunderbird wrote:
    >>> My new Dell Vostro 1000 doesn't seem to like Ubuntu. The screen is jumpy
    >>> and almost unusable. I can barely type in the username and password.
    >>> Certainly can't use the terminal commands. Anybody got this laptop
    >>> working with Ubuntu?

    >> What is in it for video? Can you change the resolution?
    >> If it is a really new laptop you may just get generic advice.
    >> More details please.
    >> Bill Baka

    I went to the Dell site and looked at them, then kind of laughed, since
    they are still selling them with XP installed. AMD too. I think in your
    case a clean install might cause it to see the video, but that would
    only be if you have the windows disk just in case. You might be better
    off running XP under an Ubuntu install. It kind of works both ways but
    all I can offer is suggestions at this point since I am trying to find
    the formula for about a 6 way boot, with limited success.

    Where are the Guru's when you need them?
    Best of luck,
    Bill Baka

  5. Re: Hardy and Vostro screen resolution

    That's why I bought it, for the XP option. I tried the run from CD
    option, with the same bad result. I would try a clean install, but none
    of my imaging backups, (acronis and ghost) are recent enough to see the
    SATA hard drive Dell puts in these. Guess I'll keep my ears out and wait
    for a fix down the road. This was to be my daughter's college workhorse
    and she likes Ubuntu, but wasn't meant to be, I guess. Thanks, anyway.

    Bill Baka wrote:
    > Joe At Work wrote:
    >> It is brand new.
    >>
    >> Link here:
    >> http://www.dell.com/content/products...tab=bundlestab
    >>

    >> I don't seem to have the option to change the resolution, best I can
    >> tell through the jumpy display. It has an ATI Radeon Xpress 1150 256MB
    >> video card. So you think maybe Ubuntu just doesn't recognize the
    >> video? In windows, generic drivers let you at least see the monitor to
    >> install drivers. The ubuntu install is an inside windows Wubi, would a
    >> normal partitioned install make a difference? I'm kinda at a loss
    >> here, as you can tell.
    >>
    >> "Bill Baka" wrote in message
    >> news:H4udne6K8Py4g7bVnZ2dnUVZ_iydnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    >>> What is in it for video? Can you change the resolution?
    >>> If it is a really new laptop you may just get generic advice.
    >>> More details please.
    >>> Bill Baka

    > I went to the Dell site and looked at them, then kind of laughed, since
    > they are still selling them with XP installed. AMD too. I think in your
    > case a clean install might cause it to see the video, but that would
    > only be if you have the windows disk just in case. You might be better
    > off running XP under an Ubuntu install. It kind of works both ways but
    > all I can offer is suggestions at this point since I am trying to find
    > the formula for about a 6 way boot, with limited success.
    >
    > Where are the Guru's when you need them?
    > Best of luck,
    > Bill Baka

+ Reply to Thread