How to get on the internet with Ubuntu 8.04 - ADSL - Norway - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on How to get on the internet with Ubuntu 8.04 - ADSL - Norway - Ubuntu ; Hi, I am a complete Ubuntu novice, but I managed to install Ubuntu 8.04 without any problem on an old Fujitsu Siemens Amilo D7800. (Windows XP has become impossible to install, the computer just turns itself off somewhere early in ...

  1. How to get on the internet with Ubuntu 8.04 - ADSL - Norway

    Hi,

    I am a complete Ubuntu novice, but I managed to install Ubuntu 8.04 without
    any problem on an old Fujitsu Siemens Amilo D7800.

    (Windows XP has become impossible to install, the computer just turns itself
    off somewhere early in the proces, without any obvious reason. Strange!)

    The interface seems to be ok, lots of programs, lots of possibilities.

    But even after consulting the help files I couldn't make Ubuntu communicate
    with the modem: Speedtouch 510i.

    The terminal program seems to work just fine otherwise, it does basically
    all that it should do, but no contact with the modem.

    There is no other relevant information at the website of the ISP than the
    following:

    Proxyserver:
    HTTP: proxy.online.no Port: 8080
    FTP: proxy.online.no Port: 8080
    DNS adresser:
    130.67.60.68
    130.67.15.198
    193.213.112.4

    I would be grateful for some advice, or some website where I can find more
    information. Thanks on beforehand!

    Ron

    Norway

  2. Re: How to get on the internet with Ubuntu 8.04 - ADSL - Norway

    Ron wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am a complete Ubuntu novice, but I managed to install Ubuntu 8.04
    > without any problem on an old Fujitsu Siemens Amilo D7800.
    >
    > (Windows XP has become impossible to install, the computer just turns
    > itself off somewhere early in the proces, without any obvious reason.
    > Strange!)
    >
    > The interface seems to be ok, lots of programs, lots of possibilities.
    >
    > But even after consulting the help files I couldn't make Ubuntu
    > communicate with the modem: Speedtouch 510i.
    >
    > The terminal program seems to work just fine otherwise, it does
    > basically all that it should do, but no contact with the modem.
    >
    > There is no other relevant information at the website of the ISP than
    > the following:
    >
    > Proxyserver:
    > HTTP: proxy.online.no Port: 8080
    > FTP: proxy.online.no Port: 8080
    > DNS adresser:
    > 130.67.60.68
    > 130.67.15.198
    > 193.213.112.4
    >
    > I would be grateful for some advice, or some website where I can find
    > more information. Thanks on beforehand!

    Hi Ron,

    Telenor uses ADSL/PPPOE. You need to set up proper client software for
    PPPOE. I may have done it once for Kubuntu as an experiment, but I remember
    absolutely no details. Google might help.

    Or this
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ADSLPPPoE
    http://linux.about.com/od/ubuntu_doc/a/ubudg19t14.htm

    Maybe 'sudo pppoeconf' will do

    --
    Carsten A. Arnholm
    http://arnholm.org/

  3. Re: How to get on the internet with Ubuntu 8.04 - ADSL - Norway

    Hi Carsten,

    Thanks for your reply. I see I need to do some serious study here. Ubuntu is
    obviously less plug-and-play, which might have good reasons.

    The "sudo pppoeconf" command didn't work, unfortunately.

    In many ways I am impressed by Ubuntu, but problems like these make it
    impossible to use for the average user.

    Many people here in Norway install ADSL by using a Telenor CD, but that's
    out of the question. The CD opens nicely, I see all the files, but won't
    run.

    I will study the links and hope for the best.

    Thanks!

    Ron
    Norway

    "Carsten A. Arnholm" skrev i melding
    > Ron wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I am a complete Ubuntu novice, but I managed to install Ubuntu 8.04
    > > without any problem on an old Fujitsu Siemens Amilo D7800.
    > >
    > > (Windows XP has become impossible to install, the computer just turns
    > > itself off somewhere early in the proces, without any obvious reason.
    > > Strange!)
    > >
    > > The interface seems to be ok, lots of programs, lots of possibilities.
    > >
    > > But even after consulting the help files I couldn't make Ubuntu
    > > communicate with the modem: Speedtouch 510i.
    > >
    > > The terminal program seems to work just fine otherwise, it does
    > > basically all that it should do, but no contact with the modem.
    > >
    > > There is no other relevant information at the website of the ISP than
    > > the following:
    > >
    > > Proxyserver:
    > > HTTP: proxy.online.no Port: 8080
    > > FTP: proxy.online.no Port: 8080
    > > DNS adresser:
    > > 130.67.60.68
    > > 130.67.15.198
    > > 193.213.112.4
    > >
    > > I would be grateful for some advice, or some website where I can find
    > > more information. Thanks on beforehand!

    > Hi Ron,
    >
    > Telenor uses ADSL/PPPOE. You need to set up proper client software for
    > PPPOE. I may have done it once for Kubuntu as an experiment, but I

    remember
    > absolutely no details. Google might help.
    >
    > Or this
    > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ADSLPPPoE
    > http://linux.about.com/od/ubuntu_doc/a/ubudg19t14.htm
    >
    > Maybe 'sudo pppoeconf' will do
    >

    > --
    > Carsten A. Arnholm
    > http://arnholm.org/
    > N59.776 E10.457

  4. Re: How to get on the internet with Ubuntu 8.04 - ADSL - Norway

    Ron wrote:

    > Thanks for your reply. I see I need to do some serious study here.
    > Ubuntu is obviously less plug-and-play, which might have good
    > reasons.

    irrelevant material. See the following links:

    (taming google)
    (newusers)

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  5. Re: How to get on the internet with Ubuntu 8.04 - ADSL - Norway

    On Wed, 14 May 2008 20:12:03 -0400, CBFalconer wrote:

    > Ron wrote:
    >>
    >> Thanks for your reply. I see I need to do some serious study here.
    >> Ubuntu is obviously less plug-and-play, which might have good reasons.

    > Please do not top-post. Your answer belongs after (or intermixed with)
    > the quoted material to which you reply, after snipping all irrelevant
    > material. See the following links:
    >

    > (taming google)
    > (newusers)

    Boy that was helpful.

  6. Re: How to get on the internet with Ubuntu 8.04 - ADSL - Norway

    jellybean stonerfish wrote:
    > CBFalconer wrote:
    >> Ron wrote:
    >>
    >>> Thanks for your reply. I see I need to do some serious study here.
    >>> Ubuntu is obviously less plug-and-play, which might have good reasons.

    >> Please do not top-post. Your answer belongs after (or intermixed with)
    >> the quoted material to which you reply, after snipping all irrelevant
    >> material. See the following links:
    >>

    >> (taming google)
    >> (newusers)

    > Boy that was helpful.

    Yes, it is, if it persuades him to use proper usenet protocol in
    the future. If you examine it closely you will see that that is
    its sole purpose.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  7. Re: How to get on the internet with Ubuntu 8.04 - ADSL - Norway

    You might find this provocative, but to be very honest I am not so
    interested in some kind of protocol when the content of the message is
    personal, rather than general. I am familiar with the protocol, and will
    abide to it when discussing a serious subject. In this case it was a
    personal answer without any relevance to you. Just like this message is only
    intended for you, and I hope you didn't already forget the issue when
    reading these words...

    Ron
    Norway

    "CBFalconer" skrev i melding
    > jellybean stonerfish wrote:
    > > CBFalconer wrote:

    > >> Please do not top-post. Your answer belongs after (or intermixed with)
    > >> the quoted material to which you reply, after snipping all irrelevant
    > >> material. See the following links:
    > >>

    > >> (taming google)
    > >> (newusers)

    > > Boy that was helpful.

    > Yes, it is, if it persuades him to use proper usenet protocol in
    > the future. If you examine it closely you will see that that is
    > its sole purpose.
    >
    > --
    > [mail]: Chuck F (cbfalconer at maineline dot net)
    > [page]:
    > Try the download section.

  8. Re: How to get on the internet with Ubuntu 8.04 - ADSL - Norway

    Trevor Best wrote:
    > Ron wrote:
    >
    >> You might find this provocative, but to be very honest I am not

    > go on Chuck, plonk him :-)

    Why? I am reasonably convinced that he has heard the message. If
    he chooses to ignore it and thus annoy other users, that is up to
    him.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  9. Re: How to get on the internet with Ubuntu 8.04 - ADSL - Norway

    On Thu, 15 May 2008 19:14:00 +0100, Trevor Best wrote:

    > On Thu, 15 May 2008 17:48:21 +0200, Ron wrote:
    >
    >> You might find this provocative, but to be very honest I am not so

    > go on Chuck, plonk him :-)

    bloody top posters . . .

  10. Re: How to get on the internet with Ubuntu 8.04 - ADSL - Norway

    "Trevor Best" skrev i melding
    newsan.2008.05.15.18.14.00.938040@besty.org.uk...
    > On Thu, 15 May 2008 17:48:21 +0200, Ron wrote:
    >
    > > You might find this provocative, but to be very honest I am not so

    > go on Chuck, plonk him :-)

    I get SO tired of people who live entirely by conventions, rules and
    regulations, but never seem to be able to contribute anything sensible,
    whatever it is they put their noses in....

    I checked all messages starting from 2008-05-10. Apart from his reply to me,
    he contributed 4 times of which 50% contained the word "troll", the other
    50% was about some procedural inaccuracy.

    I mean, I don't care whatever gets him off, just as long as he enjoys
    himself, but if he wants a flaming war, sorry, no time for nonsense. Plus
    that I have been in far worse fights with opponents far more nasty than what
    he shows here. That was not in this group though, and I didn't intend to
    start a fight here either, so for me this is the last word about this
    matter.

    Ron

+ Reply to Thread