How do I make a boot floppy? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on How do I make a boot floppy? - Ubuntu ; Is there a way to make a bootable floppy with Ubu? Is there a web link that discusses boot floppies, good things to put on a floppy. I am well versed in DOS. I realize this is quite different. Please ...

  1. How do I make a boot floppy?

    Is there a way to make a bootable floppy with Ubu?

    Is there a web link that discusses boot floppies, good things to put on a
    floppy.

    I am well versed in DOS. I realize this is quite different. Please show me
    a link where I can learn about navigating through the system using the text
    interface. Booted to Command line.

    Am I wrong about this ?

  2. Re: How do I make a boot floppy?

    "Emerald Saint" wrote in

    > Is there a way to make a bootable floppy with Ubu?
    >
    > Is there a web link that discusses boot floppies, good things to put
    > on a floppy.
    >
    > I am well versed in DOS. I realize this is quite different. Please
    > show me a link where I can learn about navigating through the system
    > using the text interface. Booted to Command line.
    >
    > Am I wrong about this ?

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GrubHowto/BootFloppy

    Also do a Google Advanced search for the term "boot floppy" and linux for
    other examples.

  3. Re: How do I make a boot floppy?

    Emerald Saint wrote:
    > Is there a way to make a bootable floppy with Ubu?
    >
    > Is there a web link that discusses boot floppies, good things to put on a
    > floppy.
    >
    > I am well versed in DOS. I realize this is quite different. Please show me
    > a link where I can learn about navigating through the system using the text
    > interface. Booted to Command line.
    >
    > Am I wrong about this ?

    Install mtools then make-memtest86+-boot-floppy

    --
    Regards
    Ted Wager g3tpi

  4. Re: How do I make a boot floppy?

    Emerald Saint wrote:

    > Is there a way to make a bootable floppy with Ubu?
    >
    > Is there a web link that discusses boot floppies, good things to put on a
    > floppy.
    >
    > I am well versed in DOS. I realize this is quite different. Please show
    > me a link where I can learn about navigating through the system using the
    > text
    > interface. Booted to Command line.
    >
    > Am I wrong about this ?

    Yes. There's no such thing as "Ubu". Stick with Windows.

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    How to get help at Microsoft Support ...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C2SIZ5qsSQ

  5. Re: How do I make a boot floppy?

    Emerald Saint wrote:
    > (....)
    > I am well versed in DOS. I realize this is quite different. Please
    > show me a link where I can learn about navigating through the
    > system using the text interface. Booted to Command line.

    1. Back up your system. ;-)
    2. Try one of these:
    http://www.scottklarr.com/topic/115/...te-collection/

    --
    Niklaus

  6. Re: How do I make a boot floppy?

    Great cheat sheets.

    "Niklaus Kuehnis" wrote in message
    > Emerald Saint wrote:
    >> (....)
    >> I am well versed in DOS. I realize this is quite different. Please
    >> show me a link where I can learn about navigating through the
    >> system using the text interface. Booted to Command line.

    > 1. Back up your system. ;-)
    > 2. Try one of these:
    > http://www.scottklarr.com/topic/115/...te-collection/
    >
    > --
    > Niklaus

  7. Re: How do I make a boot floppy?

    NoStop wrote:

    > Emerald Saint wrote:
    >
    >> Is there a way to make a bootable floppy with Ubu?
    >>
    >> Is there a web link that discusses boot floppies, good things to put on a
    >> floppy.
    >>
    >> I am well versed in DOS. I realize this is quite different. Please show
    >> me a link where I can learn about navigating through the system using the
    >> text
    >> interface. Booted to Command line.
    >>
    >> Am I wrong about this ?

    > Yes. There's no such thing as "Ubu". Stick with Windows.

    There's no reason for rude answers here. If you can't answer a
    question just shut up.

    Florian

  8. Re: How do I make a boot floppy?

    "Emerald Saint" wrote:

    > Is there a way to make a bootable floppy with Ubu?

    Have a look at the packages mkrboot and yard

    > Is there a web link that discusses boot floppies, good things to put on a
    > floppy.

    If you need more than just a simple rescue system have a look at some
    specially crafted floppy distributions.
    list some.

    > I am well versed in DOS. I realize this is quite different. Please show me
    > a link where I can learn about navigating through the system using the text
    > interface. Booted to Command line.

    For a quick start install package doc-linux-nonfree-text and have a
    look at /usr/share/doc/HOWTO/en-txt/DOS-Win-to-Linux-HOWTO.gz

    If you want more install package rutebook and see
    /usr/share/doc/rutebook/html/rute.html.

    Florian

  9. Re: How do I make a boot floppy?

    Florian Diesch wrote:
    > NoStop wrote:
    >> Emerald Saint wrote:

    .... snip ...

    >>> Am I wrong about this ?

    >> Yes. There's no such thing as "Ubu". Stick with Windows.

    > There's no reason for rude answers here. If you can't answer a
    > question just shut up.

    It is a troll. Just PLONK it.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  10. Re: How do I make a boot floppy?

    Florian Diesch wrote:

    > NoStop wrote:
    >
    >> Emerald Saint wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is there a way to make a bootable floppy with Ubu?
    >>>
    >>> Is there a web link that discusses boot floppies, good things to put on
    >>> a floppy.
    >>>
    >>> I am well versed in DOS. I realize this is quite different. Please
    >>> show me a link where I can learn about navigating through the system
    >>> using the text
    >>> interface. Booted to Command line.
    >>>
    >>> Am I wrong about this ?

    >> Yes. There's no such thing as "Ubu". Stick with Windows.

    > There's no reason for rude answers here. If you can't answer a
    > question just shut up.
    >

    > Florian

    Fuk you too. This is a Ubuntu newsgroup. Get it?

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    How to get help at Microsoft Support ...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C2SIZ5qsSQ

  11. Re: How do I make a boot floppy?

    NoStop wrote:

    > Florian Diesch wrote:
    >
    >> NoStop wrote:

    >>> Yes. There's no such thing as "Ubu". Stick with Windows.

    >> There's no reason for rude answers here. If you can't answer a
    >> question just shut up.
    >>

    > Fuk you too. This is a Ubuntu newsgroup. Get it?

    Why do you think that means you have to be rude?

    fup2 poster

    Florian