Mysterious server lockups with Ubuntu Hardy - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Mysterious server lockups with Ubuntu Hardy - Ubuntu ; I have a server with Hardy server edition installed (2.6.24). No GUI on it. It runs apache, mysql, is an NFS client and Samba server. Runs some of our custom scripts, nothing major. Once in about every 2 days, it ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

  1. Mysterious server lockups with Ubuntu Hardy

    I have a server with Hardy server edition installed (2.6.24). No GUI
    on it. It runs apache, mysql, is an NFS client and Samba server. Runs
    some of our custom scripts, nothing major.

    Once in about every 2 days, it seems to lock up randomly.

    Fortunately, it has an IPMI card and I programmed it to run an IPMI
    watchdog, so it reboots itself very quickly upon lockup,
    automatically. Still, I obviously do not like it in the least and hope
    for something better.

    If there is something that I can do, like enable debug mode of some
    sort, etc, I will be happy to get started.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  2. Re: Mysterious server lockups with Ubuntu Hardy

    I demand that Ignoramus4557 may or may not have written...

    > I have a server with Hardy server edition installed (2.6.24). No GUI on it.
    > It runs apache, mysql, is an NFS client and Samba server. Runs some of our
    > custom scripts, nothing major.

    [snip]
    > If there is something that I can do, like enable debug mode of some sort,
    > etc, I will be happy to get started.

    One of the following should help in case there's some kernel log text which
    isn't making it to disk:

    http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Docum...al-console.txt
    http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Docum...netconsole.txt

    It may also help to add "debug" to the kernel command line.

    (Followups set to col.m.)

    | + Generate power using sun, wind, water, nuclear. FORGET COAL AND OIL.

    I'm not dead; I'm metabolically challenged.

  3. Re: Mysterious server lockups with Ubuntu Hardy

    On 2008-05-12, Darren Salt wrote:
    > I demand that Ignoramus4557 may or may not have written...
    >
    >> I have a server with Hardy server edition installed (2.6.24). No GUI on it.
    >> It runs apache, mysql, is an NFS client and Samba server. Runs some of our
    >> custom scripts, nothing major.

    > [snip]
    >> If there is something that I can do, like enable debug mode of some sort,
    >> etc, I will be happy to get started.

    > One of the following should help in case there's some kernel log text which
    > isn't making it to disk:
    >
    > http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Docum...al-console.txt
    > http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Docum...netconsole.txt
    >
    > It may also help to add "debug" to the kernel command line.
    >
    > (Followups set to col.m.)

    Thanks. I doubt that I will see anything, however, it is good not to
    presume too much. I will definitely try it. Thank you again.
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  4. Re: Mysterious server lockups with Ubuntu Hardy

    I was able to insmod netconsole.

    root@server:~# modprobe netconsole netconsole="1941@10.1.xxx.xxx/eth0,1941@192.168.xxx.xxx/00:14:xx:xx:xx:xx"

    mypc:myusername:~ ==>nc -u -l 1941

    However, I did not receive any kernel messages on the target machine.

    That's despite having generated some kernel messages by inserting a
    superfluous module and verifying that with dmesg.

    On 2008-05-12, Ignoramus4557 wrote:
    > On 2008-05-12, Darren Salt wrote:
    >> I demand that Ignoramus4557 may or may not have written...
    >>
    >>> I have a server with Hardy server edition installed (2.6.24). No GUI on it.
    >>> It runs apache, mysql, is an NFS client and Samba server. Runs some of our
    >>> custom scripts, nothing major.

    >> [snip]
    >>> If there is something that I can do, like enable debug mode of some sort,
    >>> etc, I will be happy to get started.

    >> One of the following should help in case there's some kernel log text which
    >> isn't making it to disk:
    >>
    >> http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Docum...al-console.txt
    >> http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Docum...netconsole.txt
    >>
    >> It may also help to add "debug" to the kernel command line.
    >>
    >> (Followups set to col.m.)
    >>

    > Thanks. I doubt that I will see anything, however, it is good not to
    > presume too much. I will definitely try it. Thank you again.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  5. Re: Mysterious server lockups with Ubuntu Hardy

    Ignoramus4557 wrote:
    > Once in about every 2 days, it seems to lock up randomly.

    Try setting the following boot options:

    noapic nolapic pci=noacpi

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley,
    393 Quinton Road West,

  6. Re: Mysterious server lockups with Ubuntu Hardy

    On 2008-05-12, Mark Hobley wrote:
    > Ignoramus4557 wrote:
    >> Once in about every 2 days, it seems to lock up randomly.

    > Try setting the following boot options:
    >
    > noapic nolapic pci=noacpi
    >
    > Regards,

    where in menu.lst should I specify them? Any idea?
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  7. Re: Mysterious server lockups with Ubuntu Hardy

    I demand that Ignoramus4557 may or may not have written...

    > I was able to insmod netconsole.

    > root@server:~# modprobe netconsole \
    > netconsole="1941@10.1.xxx.xxx/eth0,1941@192.168.xxx.xxx/00:14:xx:xx:xx:xx"

    > mypc:myusername:~ ==>nc -u -l 1941

    > However, I did not receive any kernel messages on the target machine.

    > That's despite having generated some kernel messages by inserting a
    > superfluous module and verifying that with dmesg.

    The IP addresses say that you're using two separate logical networks. That's
    fine, so long as the destination IP address is routable and the destination
    MAC address is one hop away from the source machine (the server). Is this the
    case?

    [snip]
    | + Travel less. Share transport more. PRODUCE LESS CARBON DIOXIDE.

    It is sweet to let the mind unbend on occasion.

  8. Re: Mysterious server lockups with Ubuntu Hardy

    On 2008-05-12, Darren Salt wrote:
    > I demand that Ignoramus4557 may or may not have written...
    >
    >> I was able to insmod netconsole.

    >> root@server:~# modprobe netconsole \
    >> netconsole="1941@10.1.xxx.xxx/eth0,1941@192.168.xxx.xxx/00:14:xx:xx:xx:xx"

    >> mypc:myusername:~ ==>nc -u -l 1941

    >> However, I did not receive any kernel messages on the target machine.

    >> That's despite having generated some kernel messages by inserting a
    >> superfluous module and verifying that with dmesg.

    > The IP addresses say that you're using two separate logical networks. That's
    > fine, so long as the destination IP address is routable and the destination
    > MAC address is one hop away from the source machine (the server). Is this the
    > case?
    >
    > [snip]

    That could be it.

    I have modified the line in /boot/grub/menu.lst

    from

    defoptions=quiet splash

    defoptions=quiet splash noapic nolapic pci=noacpi

    I will try this after hours tonight.

    I certainly do not need ACPI on this server.
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  9. Re: Mysterious server lockups with Ubuntu Hardy

    I was able to insert these noacpi options by editing the commented out
    kopt= parameter and rerunning update-group. Booted with all ACPI
    disabled.

    I will see how it goes.

    # kopt=root=UUID=xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx ro noapic nolapic pci=noacpi acpi=off

    So far it seems that the server is running OK, but only time will
    tell.

    On 2008-05-12, Ignoramus17662 wrote:
    > On 2008-05-12, Darren Salt wrote:
    >> I demand that Ignoramus4557 may or may not have written...
    >>
    >>> I was able to insmod netconsole.

    >>> root@server:~# modprobe netconsole \
    >>> netconsole="1941@10.1.xxx.xxx/eth0,1941@192.168.xxx.xxx/00:14:xx:xx:xx:xx"

    >>> mypc:myusername:~ ==>nc -u -l 1941

    >>> However, I did not receive any kernel messages on the target machine.

    >>> That's despite having generated some kernel messages by inserting a
    >>> superfluous module and verifying that with dmesg.

    >> The IP addresses say that you're using two separate logical networks. That's
    >> fine, so long as the destination IP address is routable and the destination
    >> MAC address is one hop away from the source machine (the server). Is this the
    >> case?
    >>
    >> [snip]

    > That could be it.
    >
    > I have modified the line in /boot/grub/menu.lst
    >
    > from
    >
    > defoptions=quiet splash

    > defoptions=quiet splash noapic nolapic pci=noacpi
    >
    > I will try this after hours tonight.
    >
    > I certainly do not need ACPI on this server.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  10. Re: Mysterious server lockups with Ubuntu Hardy

    On 2008-05-12, Ignoramus17662 wrote:
    > I was able to insert these noacpi options by editing the commented out
    > kopt= parameter and rerunning update-group. Booted with all ACPI
    > disabled.

    I mean update-grub

    > I will see how it goes.
    >
    > # kopt=root=UUID=xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx ro noapic nolapic pci=noacpi acpi=off
    >
    > So far it seems that the server is running OK, but only time will
    > tell.

    > On 2008-05-12, Ignoramus17662 wrote:
    >> On 2008-05-12, Darren Salt wrote:
    >>> I demand that Ignoramus4557 may or may not have written...

    >>> The IP addresses say that you're using two separate logical networks. That's
    >>> fine, so long as the destination IP address is routable and the destination
    >>> MAC address is one hop away from the source machine (the server). Is this the
    >>> case?
    >>>
    >>> [snip]

    >> That could be it.
    >>
    >> I have modified the line in /boot/grub/menu.lst
    >>
    >> from
    >>
    >> defoptions=quiet splash

    >> defoptions=quiet splash noapic nolapic pci=noacpi
    >>
    >> I will try this after hours tonight.
    >>
    >> I certainly do not need ACPI on this server.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  11. Re: Mysterious server lockups with Ubuntu Hardy

    Ignoramus4557 wrote:
    > I have a server with Hardy server edition installed (2.6.24). No GUI
    > on it. It runs apache, mysql, is an NFS client and Samba server. Runs
    > some of our custom scripts, nothing major.
    >
    > Once in about every 2 days, it seems to lock up randomly.
    >
    > Fortunately, it has an IPMI card and I programmed it to run an IPMI
    > watchdog, so it reboots itself very quickly upon lockup,
    > automatically. Still, I obviously do not like it in the least and hope
    > for something better.
    >
    > If there is something that I can do, like enable debug mode of some
    > sort, etc, I will be happy to get started.

    Probably hardware/heat.

    Look at logs.

  12. Re: Mysterious server lockups with Ubuntu Hardy

    On 2008-05-12, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
    > Ignoramus4557 wrote:
    >> I have a server with Hardy server edition installed (2.6.24). No GUI
    >> on it. It runs apache, mysql, is an NFS client and Samba server. Runs
    >> some of our custom scripts, nothing major.
    >>
    >> Once in about every 2 days, it seems to lock up randomly.
    >>
    >> Fortunately, it has an IPMI card and I programmed it to run an IPMI
    >> watchdog, so it reboots itself very quickly upon lockup,
    >> automatically. Still, I obviously do not like it in the least and hope
    >> for something better.
    >>
    >> If there is something that I can do, like enable debug mode of some
    >> sort, etc, I will be happy to get started.
    >>

    > Probably hardware/heat.
    >
    > Look at logs.

    I do not think so. The server is not that busy. If lockups continue
    after disabling ACPI, I will explore this possibility using sensors.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  13. Re: Mysterious server lockups with Ubuntu Hardy

    Ignoramus17662 wrote:
    > On 2008-05-12, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
    >> Ignoramus4557 wrote:
    >>> I have a server with Hardy server edition installed (2.6.24). No GUI
    >>> on it. It runs apache, mysql, is an NFS client and Samba server. Runs
    >>> some of our custom scripts, nothing major.
    >>>
    >>> Once in about every 2 days, it seems to lock up randomly.
    >>>
    >>> Fortunately, it has an IPMI card and I programmed it to run an IPMI
    >>> watchdog, so it reboots itself very quickly upon lockup,
    >>> automatically. Still, I obviously do not like it in the least and hope
    >>> for something better.
    >>>
    >>> If there is something that I can do, like enable debug mode of some
    >>> sort, etc, I will be happy to get started.
    >>>

    >> Probably hardware/heat.
    >>
    >> Look at logs.

    > I do not think so. The server is not that busy.

    That has nothing to do with flakey hardware. Or a clogged fan. Its
    summer in the northern hemisphere..all sorts of margnal electronics
    kicks over the traces ..I could bore you with a weekend of equipment
    failures due to heat, but i wont.

    If lockups continue
    > after disabling ACPI, I will explore this possibility using sensors.

  14. Re: Mysterious server lockups with Ubuntu Hardy

    On Mon, 12 May 2008 06:58:37 -0500, Ignoramus4557 wrote:

    > On 2008-05-12, Mark Hobley
    > wrote:
    >> Ignoramus4557 wrote:
    >>> Once in about every 2 days, it seems to lock up randomly.

    >> Try setting the following boot options:
    >>
    >> noapic nolapic pci=noacpi
    >>
    >> Regards,

    > where in menu.lst should I specify them? Any idea?

    /boot/grub/menu.lst

    # (0) Arch Linux
    title Arch Linux [/boot/vmlinuz26]
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/hda3 ro
    initrd /kernel26.img

    # (0) Arch Linux
    title Arch Linux [/boot/vmlinuz26]
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/hda3 ro noapic nolapic pci=noacpi
    initrd /kernel26.img
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    OK?

    --
    Tayo'y Mga Pinoy

  15. Re: Mysterious server lockups with Ubuntu Hardy

    I demand that The Natural Philosopher may or may not have written...

    > Ignoramus17662 wrote:

    [snip]
    >>> Probably hardware/heat.
    >>> Look at logs.

    >> I do not think so. The server is not that busy.

    > That has nothing to do with flakey hardware. Or a clogged fan. Its summer
    > in the northern hemisphere..all sorts of margnal electronics kicks over the
    > traces ..I could bore you with a weekend of equipment failures due to heat,
    > but i wont.

    What's this rubbish about it being hot in summer? :-)

    [snip]
    | + Output less CO2 => avoid boiling weather. TIME IS RUNNING OUT *FAST*.

    Look afar and see the end from the beginning.

  16. Re: Mysterious server lockups with Ubuntu Hardy

    Ignoramus17662 wrote:
    > On 2008-05-12, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

    >> Probably hardware/heat.
    >>
    >> Look at logs.

    > I do not think so. The server is not that busy. If lockups continue
    > after disabling ACPI, I will explore this possibility using sensors.

    I agree that you should look at the logs.

    There are a lot of hardware problems that can cause a system freeze,
    including a bad power supply, motherboard, memory, or video card. Could
    be a bad device driver though if you have any hardware that requires an
    obscure driver.

  17. Re: Mysterious server lockups with Ubuntu Hardy

    On 2008-08-23, Matt wrote:
    > Ignoramus17662 wrote:
    >> On 2008-05-12, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

    >>> Probably hardware/heat.
    >>>
    >>> Look at logs.

    >> I do not think so. The server is not that busy. If lockups continue
    >> after disabling ACPI, I will explore this possibility using sensors.

    > I agree that you should look at the logs.
    >
    > There are a lot of hardware problems that can cause a system freeze,
    > including a bad power supply, motherboard, memory, or video card. Could
    > be a bad device driver though if you have any hardware that requires an
    > obscure driver.

    There is NOTHING in the logs when it locks up. It locks up once per
    several days.

    A few days ago, I said **** it, and installed a 2.6.25 kernel that is
    praised for its stability. It's been several days (not enough to tell)
    and it is still up and running. Time will tell if 2.6.25 will help.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  18. Re: Mysterious server lockups with Ubuntu Hardy

    Ignoramus23901 wrote:
    > On 2008-08-23, Matt wrote:
    >> Ignoramus17662 wrote:

    >>> I do not think so. The server is not that busy. If lockups continue
    >>> after disabling ACPI, I will explore this possibility using sensors.

    >> I agree that you should look at the logs.
    >>
    >> There are a lot of hardware problems that can cause a system freeze,
    >> including a bad power supply, motherboard, memory, or video card. Could
    >> be a bad device driver though if you have any hardware that requires an
    >> obscure driver.

    > There is NOTHING in the logs when it locks up.

    Hopefully you've figured that that is consistent with a hardware
    problem. If you have a bad PSU, mobo, or RAM, something would likely be
    detected by running memtest86+. You would have to take the machine off
    line though. It might not take as long to crash running memtest86+ as
    compared to being online as a server, since memtest86+ is likely to put
    greater load on the components I mentioned.

  19. Re: Mysterious server lockups with Ubuntu Hardy

    Matt wrote:
    > Ignoramus23901 wrote:

    >>> I agree that you should look at the logs.
    >>>
    >>> There are a lot of hardware problems that can cause a system freeze,
    >>> including a bad power supply, motherboard, memory, or video card.
    >>> Could be a bad device driver though if you have any hardware that
    >>> requires an obscure driver.

    >> There is NOTHING in the logs when it locks up.

    > Hopefully you've figured that that is consistent with a hardware
    > problem. If you have a bad PSU, mobo, or RAM, something would likely be
    > detected by running memtest86+. You would have to take the machine off
    > line though. It might not take as long to crash running memtest86+ as
    > compared to being online as a server, since memtest86+ is likely to put
    > greater load on the components I mentioned.

    Heat problems can be just as much a fan siezed or a filter blocked with
    dust, as a busy server.

    My debian server was panicking, and we simply took it outside and blew
    two years of accumlated pet hair,cigarette ash, carpet fluff and dead
    bugs out of all the fans and air paths.

    Its fine now.

    Years of experience with hardware that suddenly goes flaky, especially
    in hot weather, makes this the FIRST thing I do, not the last.

    Good components will fail tests when too hot, but replacing the good
    components wont fix the problem.

  20. Re: Mysterious server lockups with Ubuntu Hardy

    On 2008-08-25, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
    > Matt wrote:
    >> Ignoramus23901 wrote:

    >>> There is NOTHING in the logs when it locks up.

    >> Hopefully you've figured that that is consistent with a hardware
    >> problem. If you have a bad PSU, mobo, or RAM, something would likely be
    >> detected by running memtest86+. You would have to take the machine off
    >> line though. It might not take as long to crash running memtest86+ as
    >> compared to being online as a server, since memtest86+ is likely to put
    >> greater load on the components I mentioned.

    > Heat problems can be just as much a fan siezed or a filter blocked with
    > dust, as a busy server.

    The server is almost new, is not too busy, there is no dust in that
    server room (standard filtered air)

    > My debian server was panicking, and we simply took it outside and blew
    > two years of accumlated pet hair,cigarette ash, carpet fluff and dead
    > bugs out of all the fans and air paths.

    My server is in a server room. No pet hair there.