Disabling Onboard VGA Freezes Boot - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Disabling Onboard VGA Freezes Boot - Ubuntu ; Here is an annoyance that has been happening for a while that I finally need to deal with. NVIDIA GEForce 500 is installed with no problem. However, disabling my onboard VGA won't allow Ubuntu to boot completely. It freezes with ...

  1. Disabling Onboard VGA Freezes Boot

    Here is an annoyance that has been happening for a while that I finally need
    to deal with.

    NVIDIA GEForce 500 is installed with no problem. However, disabling my
    onboard VGA won't allow Ubuntu to boot completely. It freezes with the
    status bar about 25%.

    It took some digging to discover that it was also looking and expecting to
    find my onboard VGA. Enable that and everything works fine, with the added
    inconvenience of having to pull the monitor cable to see Grub or the bios
    menu.

    There is no reference to that card in xorg.conf.

    How do I convince Ubuntu to deny the existence of my onboard VGA card?

  2. Re: Disabling Onboard VGA Freezes Boot

    Steve Harder-Kucera wrote:

    > Here is an annoyance that has been happening for a while that I finally
    > need to deal with.
    >
    > NVIDIA GEForce 500 is installed with no problem. However, disabling my
    > onboard VGA won't allow Ubuntu to boot completely. It freezes with the
    > status bar about 25%.
    >
    > It took some digging to discover that it was also looking and expecting to
    > find my onboard VGA. Enable that and everything works fine, with the added
    > inconvenience of having to pull the monitor cable to see Grub or the bios
    > menu.
    >
    > There is no reference to that card in xorg.conf.
    >
    > How do I convince Ubuntu to deny the existence of my onboard VGA card?

    You can blacklist the onboard video.

    cd /etc/modeprobe.d
    cat blacklist
    sudo cp blacklist blacklist.backup
    gksudo gedit blacklist

    .... add your onboard video to the list, save file, reboot computer and it
    should no longer be used.

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    How to get help at Microsoft Support ...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C2SIZ5qsSQ