Suaerbraten and 8.04 - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Suaerbraten and 8.04 - Ubuntu ; I just successfully upgraded from 7.10 to 8.04. Everything seems OK, even my network settings remain, except Sauerbraten no longer works. I run it from a console and the screen just goes blank, the disk thrashes for a bit, exactly ...

  1. Suaerbraten and 8.04

    I just successfully upgraded from 7.10 to 8.04. Everything seems OK,
    even my network settings remain, except Sauerbraten no longer works. I
    run it from a console and the screen just goes blank, the disk thrashes
    for a bit, exactly as if the prog is loading OK then nothing - no error
    messages, nothing - restarting X brings up the user login. I have
    checked I still have the NVidia drivers in and running and all the SDL
    libs are there too.

    Any ideas?

    Cheers

    Ian

  2. Re: Suaerbraten and 8.04

    den Fri, 02 May 2008 15:38:02 +0100, Ian Thompson-Bell skrev:

    > I just successfully upgraded from 7.10 to 8.04. Everything seems OK,
    > even my network settings remain, except Sauerbraten no longer works. I
    > run it from a console and the screen just goes blank, the disk thrashes
    > for a bit, exactly as if the prog is loading OK then nothing - no error
    > messages, nothing - restarting X brings up the user login. I have
    > checked I still have the NVidia drivers in and running and all the SDL
    > libs are there too.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Ian

    The latest version is in the repositories. So maybe you could try to
    install that.
    I have it running here on 64bit Hardy.

  3. Re: Suaerbraten and 8.04

    Studo wrote:
    > den Fri, 02 May 2008 15:38:02 +0100, Ian Thompson-Bell skrev:
    >
    >> I just successfully upgraded from 7.10 to 8.04. Everything seems OK,
    >> even my network settings remain, except Sauerbraten no longer works. I
    >> run it from a console and the screen just goes blank, the disk thrashes
    >> for a bit, exactly as if the prog is loading OK then nothing - no error
    >> messages, nothing - restarting X brings up the user login. I have
    >> checked I still have the NVidia drivers in and running and all the SDL
    >> libs are there too.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>
    >> Ian

    > The latest version is in the repositories. So maybe you could try to
    > install that.
    > I have it running here on 64bit Hardy.

    I already did that. Same result unfortunately.

    I noticed my monitor flashes up this message 'input out of range' so it
    sounds like the NVidia card is getting messed up somehow.

    Cheers

    Ian

  4. Re: Suaerbraten and 8.04

    den Sat, 03 May 2008 09:49:46 +0100, Ian Thompson-Bell skrev:

    > Studo wrote:
    >> den Fri, 02 May 2008 15:38:02 +0100, Ian Thompson-Bell skrev:
    >>
    >>> I just successfully upgraded from 7.10 to 8.04. Everything seems OK,
    >>> even my network settings remain, except Sauerbraten no longer works. I
    >>> run it from a console and the screen just goes blank, the disk
    >>> thrashes for a bit, exactly as if the prog is loading OK then nothing
    >>> - no error messages, nothing - restarting X brings up the user login.
    >>> I have checked I still have the NVidia drivers in and running and all
    >>> the SDL libs are there too.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas?
    >>>
    >>> Cheers
    >>>
    >>> Ian

    >> The latest version is in the repositories. So maybe you could try to
    >> install that.
    >> I have it running here on 64bit Hardy.

    > I already did that. Same result unfortunately.
    >
    > I noticed my monitor flashes up this message 'input out of range' so it
    > sounds like the NVidia card is getting messed up somehow.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Ian

    hmm. How is your Nvidia driver installed?

    Maybe removing it and using the Hardware Driver Manager for install. I am
    no expert, but have seen many posts on people not getting the best
    results when using Envy in Hardy. On the other hand, Envy you could could
    use if all was standard.

    Maybe the input out of range is not from Ubuntu, but your monitor, and
    Sauerbraten is simply using old settings. So delete your .sauerbraten in
    home-folder. And try again.

    I had errors like that in Audacious, in the new version they removed the
    double-size option, and me ending up with a program that did not start,
    or look right.

  5. Re: Suaerbraten and 8.04

    Studo wrote:
    > den Sat, 03 May 2008 09:49:46 +0100, Ian Thompson-Bell skrev:
    >
    >> Studo wrote:

    >>> The latest version is in the repositories. So maybe you could try to
    >>> install that.
    >>> I have it running here on 64bit Hardy.

    >> I already did that. Same result unfortunately.
    >>
    >> I noticed my monitor flashes up this message 'input out of range' so it
    >> sounds like the NVidia card is getting messed up somehow.
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>
    >> Ian

    > hmm. How is your Nvidia driver installed?
    >
    > Maybe removing it and using the Hardware Driver Manager for install. I am
    > no expert, but have seen many posts on people not getting the best
    > results when using Envy in Hardy. On the other hand, Envy you could could
    > use if all was standard.
    >
    > Maybe the input out of range is not from Ubuntu, but your monitor,

    It is definitely from the monitor itself.
    and
    > Sauerbraten is simply using old settings. So delete your .sauerbraten in
    > home-folder. And try again.

    Brilliant, that fixed it. Many thanks.

    Cheers

+ Reply to Thread