Laptop Fan Running nonstop - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Laptop Fan Running nonstop - Ubuntu ; I was running 7.10 on my laptop. The fan worked normally, coming on occasionally and tuning off. I upgraded to 8.04 and the thing just runs non-stop. And it's noisy! What's changed and how do I correct this? Al...

  1. Laptop Fan Running nonstop

    I was running 7.10 on my laptop. The fan worked normally, coming on
    occasionally and tuning off. I upgraded to 8.04 and the thing just runs
    non-stop. And it's noisy! What's changed and how do I correct this?

    Al

  2. Re: Laptop Fan Running nonstop

    On Fri, 02 May 2008 13:45:00 +0000, Al wrote:

    > I was running 7.10 on my laptop. The fan worked normally, coming on
    > occasionally and tuning off. I upgraded to 8.04 and the thing just runs
    > non-stop. And it's noisy! What's changed and how do I correct this?
    >
    > Al

    The odd thing is that it worked to well during the beta, than got screwed
    once the official release came out. There were change made to the power
    management options, I ended up going back to 7.10.
    You can of course disable ACPI, and turn off power management all
    together.

    --
    Jerry Maguire: Help me... help you. Help me, help you. ;-)

  3. Re: Laptop Fan Running nonstop

    On Fri, 02 May 2008 19:07:53 +0100, Trevor Best wrote:

    > On Fri, 02 May 2008 13:45:00 +0000, Al wrote:
    >
    >> I was running 7.10 on my laptop. The fan worked normally, coming on
    >> occasionally and tuning off. I upgraded to 8.04 and the thing just runs
    >> non-stop. And it's noisy! What's changed and how do I correct this?
    >>

    > Type "top" in a terminal and see what's using the CPU time. Are you
    > using desktop effects, etc and have a crappy video card so making the
    > CPU do all the fancy graffix work? Do you have a decent video card and
    > not installed the restricted drivers? This too can lump more work onto
    > the CPU.

    It's a laptop so I'm stuck with whatever video card is in it. And it
    worked just fine under 7.10. The cpu monitor shows virtually no activity.

    Al

  4. Re: Laptop Fan Running nonstop

    On Fri, 02 May 2008 21:31:39 +0100, Trevor Best wrote:

    > On Fri, 02 May 2008 18:56:53 +0000, Al wrote:

    >>> Type "top" in a terminal and see what's using the CPU time. Are you
    >>> using desktop effects, etc and have a crappy video card so making the
    >>> CPU do all the fancy graffix work? Do you have a decent video card and
    >>> not installed the restricted drivers? This too can lump more work onto
    >>> the CPU.

    >> It's a laptop so I'm stuck with whatever video card is in it. And it
    >> worked just fine under 7.10. The cpu monitor shows virtually no
    >> activity.

    > I didn't suggest you change the video card.

    OK, I goofed. Top says that xorg is using about 30% of the cpu. So how do
    I change that if that is the problem? I don't know how much of the cpu
    was being used in 7.10.

    Al

    Al

+ Reply to Thread