DCOPserver error??? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on DCOPserver error??? - Ubuntu ; I recently let Ubuntu upgrade from 7.10 to 8.04. Now whenever I click a pdf file link, kpdf is invoked but I get the following error: DCOP communication error () There was an error setting up inter-process communications for KDE. ...

  1. DCOPserver error???

    I recently let Ubuntu upgrade from 7.10 to 8.04. Now whenever I click a
    pdf file link, kpdf is invoked but I get the following error:

    DCOP communication error ()
    There was an error setting up inter-process communications for KDE. The
    message returned by the system was:

    Could not read network connection list.
    /home/~~~~/.DCOPserver_c-linux__0

    Please check that the "dcopserver" program is running!

    I'm not using KDE desktop but rather gnome.

    any ideas?

  2. Re: DCOPserver error???

    On Fri, 02 May 2008 11:21:11 +0000, franz fripplfrappl wrote:

    > I recently let Ubuntu upgrade from 7.10 to 8.04. Now whenever I click a
    > pdf file link, kpdf is invoked but I get the following error:
    >

    > DCOP communication error ()
    > There was an error setting up inter-process communications for KDE. The
    > message returned by the system was:
    >
    > Could not read network connection list.
    > /home/~~~~/.DCOPserver_c-linux__0
    >
    > Please check that the "dcopserver" program is running!
    >
    > I'm not using KDE desktop but rather gnome.
    >
    > any ideas?

    Disregard. I found a solution via a google search. Appears to have been
    an ownership issue with .ICEauthority. Once changed to me, pdf
    downloading works fine.

  3. Re: DCOPserver error???

    On Fri, 02 May 2008 12:21:49 +0000, franz fripplfrappl wrote:

    > On Fri, 02 May 2008 11:21:11 +0000, franz fripplfrappl wrote:
    >
    >> I recently let Ubuntu upgrade from 7.10 to 8.04. Now whenever I click a
    >> pdf file link, kpdf is invoked but I get the following error:
    >>

    >> DCOP communication error ()
    >> There was an error setting up inter-process communications for KDE. The
    >> message returned by the system was:
    >>
    >> Could not read network connection list.
    >> /home/~~~~/.DCOPserver_c-linux__0
    >>
    >> Please check that the "dcopserver" program is running!
    >>
    >> I'm not using KDE desktop but rather gnome.
    >>
    >> any ideas?

    > Disregard. I found a solution via a google search. Appears to have been
    > an ownership issue with .ICEauthority. Once changed to me, pdf
    > downloading works fine.

    I ran into something similar (in regards to the DCOP error) after
    upgrading to 8.04 but with the inability to resolve the PC name
    meat-desktop. I had to add it into the hosts file as 127.0.1.1. I finally
    ditched the upgrade and migrated everything to a clean install of 8.04.

  4. Re: DCOPserver error???

    On Fri, 02 May 2008 10:52:28 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Fri, 02 May 2008 12:21:49 +0000, franz fripplfrappl wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 02 May 2008 11:21:11 +0000, franz fripplfrappl wrote:
    >>
    >>> I recently let Ubuntu upgrade from 7.10 to 8.04. Now whenever I click
    >>> a pdf file link, kpdf is invoked but I get the following error:
    >>>

    >>> DCOP communication error ()
    >>> There was an error setting up inter-process communications for KDE.
    >>> The message returned by the system was:
    >>>
    >>> Could not read network connection list.
    >>> /home/~~~~/.DCOPserver_c-linux__0
    >>>
    >>> Please check that the "dcopserver" program is running!
    >>>
    >>> I'm not using KDE desktop but rather gnome.
    >>>
    >>> any ideas?

    >> Disregard. I found a solution via a google search. Appears to have
    >> been an ownership issue with .ICEauthority. Once changed to me, pdf
    >> downloading works fine.

    > I ran into something similar (in regards to the DCOP error) after
    > upgrading to 8.04 but with the inability to resolve the PC name
    > meat-desktop. I had to add it into the hosts file as 127.0.1.1. I
    > finally ditched the upgrade and migrated everything to a clean install
    > of 8.04.

    I probably should have done a clean install as well. I usually did so in
    the past. It's just too easy to submit to Ubuntu's upgrade.

+ Reply to Thread