Samba and 8.04 - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Samba and 8.04 - Ubuntu ; I can't get Samba to work on three different installations on 3 different machines. I am assuming it is broke. Should I try and earlier version? I posted on the Ubuntu site and did not get a response. I work ...

  1. Samba and 8.04

    I can't get Samba to work on three different installations on 3 different
    machines. I am assuming it is broke. Should I try and earlier version? I
    posted on the Ubuntu site and did not get a response. I work in a school
    setting with a totally Windows environment. I want to set up a share on
    an Ubuntu box to keep a network share that both student workgroups and
    the teacher domain machines can access. Can't get Samba to work, so any
    other ideas. Could go the server route, but not super experienced in that
    area. Thanks in advance.

    Gregg

  2. Re: Samba and 8.04

    gregg wrote:

    > I can't get Samba to work on three different installations on 3 different
    > machines. I am assuming it is broke.

    Why would you assume that? If you've triplicated your inability to get Samba
    working on 3 different machines, that doesn't mean Samba is "broke". It
    just means you've repeated the same mistakes.

    > Should I try and earlier version?

    Why don't you start by telling us how it doesn't work and how you've
    configured it?

    > posted on the Ubuntu site and did not get a response. I work in a school
    > setting with a totally Windows environment. I want to set up a share on
    > an Ubuntu box to keep a network share that both student workgroups and
    > the teacher domain machines can access. Can't get Samba to work, so any
    > other ideas. Could go the server route, but not super experienced in that
    > area.

    What does the "server route" mean? Of course, Samba has to be setup as a
    server if it's going to share files from a machine.

    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Gregg

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    How to get help at Microsoft Support ...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C2SIZ5qsSQ

  3. Re: Samba and 8.04

    On 2008-05-01, NoStop wrote:
    > gregg wrote:
    >
    >> I can't get Samba to work on three different installations on 3 different
    >> machines. I am assuming it is broke.

    > Why would you assume that? If you've triplicated your inability to get Samba
    > working on 3 different machines, that doesn't mean Samba is "broke". It
    > just means you've repeated the same mistakes.
    >
    >> Should I try and earlier version?

    > Why don't you start by telling us how it doesn't work and how you've
    > configured it?

    I do not like Samba in general, but it works for me with Hardy.

    >> posted on the Ubuntu site and did not get a response. I work in a school
    >> setting with a totally Windows environment. I want to set up a share on
    >> an Ubuntu box to keep a network share that both student workgroups and
    >> the teacher domain machines can access. Can't get Samba to work, so any
    >> other ideas. Could go the server route, but not super experienced in that
    >> area.

    > What does the "server route" mean? Of course, Samba has to be setup as a
    > server if it's going to share files from a machine.
    >
    >> Thanks in advance.
    >>
    >> Gregg

    > Cheers.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  4. Re: Samba and 8.04

    On Thu, 01 May 2008 19:05:42 -0500, Ignoramus3962 wrote:

    > On 2008-05-01, NoStop wrote:
    >> gregg wrote:
    >>
    >>> I can't get Samba to work on three different installations on 3
    >>> different machines. I am assuming it is broke.

    >> Why would you assume that? If you've triplicated your inability to get
    >> Samba working on 3 different machines, that doesn't mean Samba is
    >> "broke". It just means you've repeated the same mistakes.
    >>
    >>> Should I try and earlier version?

    >> Why don't you start by telling us how it doesn't work and how you've
    >> configured it?

    > I do not like Samba in general, but it works for me with Hardy.

    >>> posted on the Ubuntu site and did not get a response. I work in a
    >>> school setting with a totally Windows environment. I want to set up a
    >>> share on an Ubuntu box to keep a network share that both student
    >>> workgroups and the teacher domain machines can access. Can't get Samba
    >>> to work, so any other ideas. Could go the server route, but not super
    >>> experienced in that area.

    >> What does the "server route" mean? Of course, Samba has to be setup as
    >> a server if it's going to share files from a machine.
    >>
    >>> Thanks in advance.
    >>>
    >>> Gregg

    >> Cheers.

    I installed Samba through Synaptic and the Hardy repos. On each machine
    on first run it crashed. Any other time I ran it it crashed. I should
    have run it from terminal to see the output. Actually, I tried once, but
    undoubtably had the wrong command. Sorry, to no have provided any more
    information. I do understand that Samba is set up as a server, I meant
    that instead of using the Server version of Ubuntu with no GUI, I wanted
    to use Samba in Gnome. I don't know what I did wrong three times. I just
    installed with Synaptic from the repos as I usually do everything else
    unless they aren't there or I don't like the version in the repos. Thanks
    for your responses.

    Gregg

  5. Re: Samba and 8.04

    On 2008-05-02, gregg wrote:
    > On Thu, 01 May 2008 19:05:42 -0500, Ignoramus3962 wrote:

    >>> Why would you assume that? If you've triplicated your inability to get
    >>> Samba working on 3 different machines, that doesn't mean Samba is
    >>> "broke". It just means you've repeated the same mistakes.

    >>> Why don't you start by telling us how it doesn't work and how you've
    >>> configured it?

    >> I do not like Samba in general, but it works for me with Hardy.

    >>> What does the "server route" mean? Of course, Samba has to be setup as
    >>> a server if it's going to share files from a machine.

    >>> Cheers.
    >>>

    > I installed Samba through Synaptic and the Hardy repos. On each machine
    > on first run it crashed. Any other time I ran it it crashed. I should
    > have run it from terminal to see the output. Actually, I tried once, but
    > undoubtably had the wrong command. Sorry, to no have provided any more
    > information. I do understand that Samba is set up as a server, I meant
    > that instead of using the Server version of Ubuntu with no GUI, I wanted
    > to use Samba in Gnome. I don't know what I did wrong three times. I just
    > installed with Synaptic from the repos as I usually do everything else
    > unless they aren't there or I don't like the version in the repos. Thanks
    > for your responses.

    My first impression is that you do not know what you are doing and
    likely are doing something wrong. I do not want to offend you. Just
    saying what my impression is.

    So.

    Are you trying to set up a samba server, or a samba client?

    aRE you trying to share folders with other computers, or do you want
    to access shares from other computers?

  6. Re: Samba and 8.04

    On Thu, 01 May 2008 20:41:51 -0500, Ignoramus3962 wrote:

    > On 2008-05-02, gregg wrote:
    >> On Thu, 01 May 2008 19:05:42 -0500, Ignoramus3962 wrote:

    >> I installed Samba through Synaptic and the Hardy repos. On each machine
    >> on first run it crashed. Any other time I ran it it crashed. I should
    >> have run it from terminal to see the output. Actually, I tried once,
    >> but undoubtably had the wrong command. Sorry, to no have provided any
    >> more information. I do understand that Samba is set up as a server, I
    >> meant that instead of using the Server version of Ubuntu with no GUI, I
    >> wanted to use Samba in Gnome. I don't know what I did wrong three
    >> times. I just installed with Synaptic from the repos as I usually do
    >> everything else unless they aren't there or I don't like the version in
    >> the repos. Thanks for your responses.

    > My first impression is that you do not know what you are doing and
    > likely are doing something wrong. I do not want to offend you. Just
    > saying what my impression is.
    >
    > So.
    >
    > Are you trying to set up a samba server, or a samba client?
    >
    > aRE you trying to share folders with other computers, or do you want to
    > access shares from other computers?

    I am trying to set up a Samba server for Microsoft clients. I want to use
    this server so that I can set up shared folders for adding assignments
    and dropping off completed assignments. I would also like to use it to
    hold a database for Windows based Math and Reading programs that are
    running on the clients. As far as knowing what I am doing, that is all
    relative isn't it? My problem is that after installing "Samba" from the
    repositories it crashes when I try and open it. It will never open as a
    program. I was under the assumption that it needed to be opened for
    configuration. I may be wrong. Maybe if I set up a share it can be seen
    by Windows. I have not checked this out, but will sometime today. The
    reason that I want to do this other than that I use Ubuntu at home is
    that having student machines that are in a workgroup and teacher machines
    on a domain (for which I can't significantly change permissions)I am
    having difficulty differentiating permissions so that students don't have
    the same as teachers i.e. full control. Teachers belong to a basic user
    group just like students and this cannot be altered. If the teachers were
    in a Super User group this would not be a problem. Also, with a Windows
    share I am limited to 10 connections at a time (XP Pro) without
    purchasing server software. I don't handle purchasing and it being near
    the end of the school year the schools don't have the funds for it at
    this time. I hope this clears things up a bit more. While my Linux
    experience is somewhat limited, unfortunately I am "experienced" relative
    to most other members of the IT Department. So, like I said knowing what
    I am doing is relative. I certainly don't take offense at your first
    impression, but to not try and do I will for sure not know what I am
    doing. I have set up Samba at home with earlier versions of Ubuntu and
    share over the home network. I just now had to time to try this in one of
    my schools and had the crashes. These were actually quick tries with
    honestly little research. I just wondered is there was an issue with
    Hardy and Samba. There is at least one other person that has had the same
    issue in the Ubuntu Forums, but there has been responses here and none
    there.

    Thanks,
    Gregg

  7. Re: Samba and 8.04

    On 2008-05-02, gregg wrote:
    > On Thu, 01 May 2008 20:41:51 -0500, Ignoramus3962 wrote:
    >
    >> On 2008-05-02, gregg wrote:
    >>> On Thu, 01 May 2008 19:05:42 -0500, Ignoramus3962 wrote:

    >>> I installed Samba through Synaptic and the Hardy repos. On each machine
    >>> on first run it crashed. Any other time I ran it it crashed. I should
    >>> have run it from terminal to see the output. Actually, I tried once,
    >>> but undoubtably had the wrong command. Sorry, to no have provided any
    >>> more information. I do understand that Samba is set up as a server, I
    >>> meant that instead of using the Server version of Ubuntu with no GUI, I
    >>> wanted to use Samba in Gnome. I don't know what I did wrong three
    >>> times. I just installed with Synaptic from the repos as I usually do
    >>> everything else unless they aren't there or I don't like the version in
    >>> the repos. Thanks for your responses.

    >> My first impression is that you do not know what you are doing and
    >> likely are doing something wrong. I do not want to offend you. Just
    >> saying what my impression is.
    >>
    >> So.
    >>
    >> Are you trying to set up a samba server, or a samba client?
    >>
    >> aRE you trying to share folders with other computers, or do you want to
    >> access shares from other computers?

    > I am trying to set up a Samba server for Microsoft clients. I want to use
    > this server so that I can set up shared folders for adding assignments
    > and dropping off completed assignments.

    Very good. But this would enable students to see other students'
    assignments?

    > I would also like to use it to hold a database for Windows based
    > Math and Reading programs that are running on the clients. As far as
    > knowing what I am doing, that is all relative isn't it? My problem
    > is that after installing "Samba" from the repositories it crashes
    > when I try and open it. It will never open as a program.

    Normally, if you want to have a samba server,the samba program would
    start in background as your computer boots.

    All you have to do is adjust its configuration file
    /etc/samba/smb.conf and the changes will take effect in a minute or
    so.

    If you start the samba daemon from command line, it will exit if the
    daemon was already started. Which is what you might be seeing and
    thinking that it is crashing. Similarly, if the daemon is the running,
    the process that you started, will go away from your terminal, which
    you aklso may misinterpret as crashing. But in reality is does what it
    should do.

    > I was under the assumption that it needed to be opened for
    > configuration. I may be wrong. Maybe if I set up a share it can be
    > seen by Windows. I have not checked this out, but will sometime
    > today. The reason that I want to do this other than that I use
    > Ubuntu at home is that having student machines that are in a
    > workgroup and teacher machines on a domain (for which I can't
    > significantly change permissions)I am having difficulty
    > differentiating permissions so that students don't have the same as
    > teachers i.e. full control. Teachers belong to a basic user group
    > just like students and this cannot be altered. If the teachers were
    > in a Super User group this would not be a problem. Also, with a
    > Windows share I am limited to 10 connections at a time (XP Pro)
    > without purchasing server software. I don't handle purchasing and it
    > being near the end of the school year the schools don't have the
    > funds for it at this time. I hope this clears things up a bit
    > more. While my Linux experience is somewhat limited, unfortunately I
    > am "experienced" relative to most other members of the IT
    > Department. So, like I said knowing what I am doing is relative. I
    > certainly don't take offense at your first impression, but to not
    > try and do I will for sure not know what I am doing. I have set up
    > Samba at home with earlier versions of Ubuntu and share over the
    > home network. I just now had to time to try this in one of my
    > schools and had the crashes. These were actually quick tries with
    > honestly little research. I just wondered is there was an issue with
    > Hardy and Samba. There is at least one other person that has had the
    > same issue in the Ubuntu Forums, but there has been responses here
    > and none there.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Gregg

    I think that what you are trying to do is the most straightforward
    thing, and with a little bit of help here, you will get it running.
    You can them have 200 concurrent clients.

    The knowledge that you would acquire, is valuable.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  8. Re: Samba and 8.04

    On Fri, 02 May 2008 07:11:34 -0500, Ignoramus23760 wrote:

    > On 2008-05-02, gregg wrote:

    >>> My first impression is that you do not know what you are doing and
    >>> likely are doing something wrong. I do not want to offend you. Just
    >>> saying what my impression is.
    >>>
    >>> So.
    >>>
    >>> Are you trying to set up a samba server, or a samba client?
    >>>
    >>> aRE you trying to share folders with other computers, or do you want
    >>> to access shares from other computers?

    >>> i

    >> I am trying to set up a Samba server for Microsoft clients. I want to
    >> use this server so that I can set up shared folders for adding
    >> assignments and dropping off completed assignments.

    > Very good. But this would enable students to see other students'
    > assignments?

    Yes, unfortunately students could view each others assignments, though it
    would be used more for a drop box to be retrieved by the teacher than
    anything. For the math and reading programs, access is password
    controlled in the client and the server would merely contain the database
    of information. (I think) I do this in schools with a Mac server.
    Unfortunately, Windows cannot see the Mac database. Hopefully, if I work
    on this enough with a Samba server, it may possibly be a solution for
    several server quirks in the district. Other people might try it.

    >> I would also like to use it to hold a database for Windows based Math
    >> and Reading programs that are running on the clients. As far as knowing
    >> what I am doing, that is all relative isn't it? My problem is that
    >> after installing "Samba" from the repositories it crashes when I try
    >> and open it. It will never open as a program.

    > Normally, if you want to have a samba server,the samba program would
    > start in background as your computer boots.
    >
    > All you have to do is adjust its configuration file /etc/samba/smb.conf
    > and the changes will take effect in a minute or so.
    >
    > If you start the samba daemon from command line, it will exit if the
    > daemon was already started. Which is what you might be seeing and
    > thinking that it is crashing. Similarly, if the daemon is the running,
    > the process that you started, will go away from your terminal, which you
    > aklso may misinterpret as crashing. But in reality is does what it
    > should do.

    Yes, I think it has probably been working all along. When I tried to
    "open" it I got a crash warning, but this is a reporting error I believe,
    when in fact it is working

    >> I was under the assumption that it needed to be opened for
    >> configuration. I may be wrong. Maybe if I set up a share it can be seen
    >> by Windows. I have not checked this out, but will sometime today. The
    >> reason that I want to do this other than that I use Ubuntu at home is
    >> that having student machines that are in a workgroup and teacher
    >> machines on a domain (for which I can't significantly change
    >> permissions)I am having difficulty differentiating permissions so that
    >> students don't have the same as teachers i.e. full control. Teachers
    >> belong to a basic user group just like students and this cannot be
    >> altered. If the teachers were in a Super User group this would not be a
    >> problem. Also, with a Windows share I am limited to 10 connections at a
    >> time (XP Pro) without purchasing server software. I don't handle
    >> purchasing and it being near the end of the school year the schools
    >> don't have the funds for it at this time. I hope this clears things up
    >> a bit more. While my Linux experience is somewhat limited,
    >> unfortunately I am "experienced" relative to most other members of the
    >> IT Department. So, like I said knowing what I am doing is relative. I
    >> certainly don't take offense at your first impression, but to not try
    >> and do I will for sure not know what I am doing. I have set up Samba at
    >> home with earlier versions of Ubuntu and share over the home network. I
    >> just now had to time to try this in one of my schools and had the
    >> crashes. These were actually quick tries with honestly little research.
    >> I just wondered is there was an issue with Hardy and Samba. There is at
    >> least one other person that has had the same issue in the Ubuntu
    >> Forums, but there has been responses here and none there.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Gregg

    > I think that what you are trying to do is the most straightforward
    > thing, and with a little bit of help here, you will get it running. You
    > can them have 200 concurrent clients.
    >
    > The knowledge that you would acquire, is valuable.

    Thanks for the information. With school winding down and most of my
    installations done, I should have time to get started on this and at
    least have enough of a framework that I could really do some things next
    school year.

    Thanks again,
    Gregg

  9. Re: Samba and 8.04

    On 2008-05-02, gregg wrote:
    > On Fri, 02 May 2008 07:11:34 -0500, Ignoramus23760 wrote:

    >>> I am trying to set up a Samba server for Microsoft clients. I want to
    >>> use this server so that I can set up shared folders for adding
    >>> assignments and dropping off completed assignments.

    >> Very good. But this would enable students to see other students'
    >> assignments?

    > Yes, unfortunately students could view each others assignments, though it
    > would be used more for a drop box to be retrieved by the teacher than
    > anything.

    More ominously, they could modify each other's assignments.

    Sounds kind of bad.

    Like student A could insert a statement into student B's assignment
    that could harm student B.

    > For the math and reading programs, access is password controlled in
    > the client and the server would merely contain the database of
    > information. (I think) I do this in schools with a Mac
    > server. Unfortunately, Windows cannot see the Mac
    > database. Hopefully, if I work on this enough with a Samba server,
    > it may possibly be a solution for several server quirks in the
    > district. Other people might try it.

    If it was up to me, I could combine this samba share with some job
    that runs very often and grabs submitted assignments and moves them
    elsewhere.

    >>> I would also like to use it to hold a database for Windows based Math
    >>> and Reading programs that are running on the clients. As far as knowing
    >>> what I am doing, that is all relative isn't it? My problem is that
    >>> after installing "Samba" from the repositories it crashes when I try
    >>> and open it. It will never open as a program.

    >> Normally, if you want to have a samba server,the samba program would
    >> start in background as your computer boots.
    >>
    >> All you have to do is adjust its configuration file /etc/samba/smb.conf
    >> and the changes will take effect in a minute or so.
    >>
    >> If you start the samba daemon from command line, it will exit if the
    >> daemon was already started. Which is what you might be seeing and
    >> thinking that it is crashing. Similarly, if the daemon is the running,
    >> the process that you started, will go away from your terminal, which you
    >> aklso may misinterpret as crashing. But in reality is does what it
    >> should do.

    > Yes, I think it has probably been working all along. When I tried to
    > "open" it I got a crash warning, but this is a reporting error I
    > believe, when in fact it is working

    So, what did you do to share a shared folder? Did you edit
    /etc/samba/smb.conf?

    >>> I was under the assumption that it needed to be opened for
    >>> configuration. I may be wrong. Maybe if I set up a share it can be seen
    >>> by Windows. I have not checked this out, but will sometime today. The
    >>> reason that I want to do this other than that I use Ubuntu at home is
    >>> that having student machines that are in a workgroup and teacher
    >>> machines on a domain (for which I can't significantly change
    >>> permissions)I am having difficulty differentiating permissions so that
    >>> students don't have the same as teachers i.e. full control. Teachers
    >>> belong to a basic user group just like students and this cannot be
    >>> altered. If the teachers were in a Super User group this would not be a
    >>> problem. Also, with a Windows share I am limited to 10 connections at a
    >>> time (XP Pro) without purchasing server software. I don't handle
    >>> purchasing and it being near the end of the school year the schools
    >>> don't have the funds for it at this time. I hope this clears things up
    >>> a bit more. While my Linux experience is somewhat limited,
    >>> unfortunately I am "experienced" relative to most other members of the
    >>> IT Department. So, like I said knowing what I am doing is relative. I
    >>> certainly don't take offense at your first impression, but to not try
    >>> and do I will for sure not know what I am doing. I have set up Samba at
    >>> home with earlier versions of Ubuntu and share over the home network. I
    >>> just now had to time to try this in one of my schools and had the
    >>> crashes. These were actually quick tries with honestly little research.
    >>> I just wondered is there was an issue with Hardy and Samba. There is at
    >>> least one other person that has had the same issue in the Ubuntu
    >>> Forums, but there has been responses here and none there.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Gregg

    >> I think that what you are trying to do is the most straightforward
    >> thing, and with a little bit of help here, you will get it running. You
    >> can them have 200 concurrent clients.
    >>
    >> The knowledge that you would acquire, is valuable.

    > Thanks for the information. With school winding down and most of my
    > installations done, I should have time to get started on this and at
    > least have enough of a framework that I could really do some things next
    > school year.

    So, I would say, create some junk directory and share that to try it
    out.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  10. Re: Samba and 8.04

    gregg wrote:

    > On Thu, 01 May 2008 19:05:42 -0500, Ignoramus3962 wrote:

    >>> Why would you assume that? If you've triplicated your inability to get
    >>> Samba working on 3 different machines, that doesn't mean Samba is
    >>> "broke". It just means you've repeated the same mistakes.

    >>> Why don't you start by telling us how it doesn't work and how you've
    >>> configured it?

    >> I do not like Samba in general, but it works for me with Hardy.

    >>> What does the "server route" mean? Of course, Samba has to be setup as
    >>> a server if it's going to share files from a machine.

    >>> Cheers.
    >>>

    > I installed Samba through Synaptic and the Hardy repos. On each machine
    > on first run it crashed. Any other time I ran it it crashed. I should
    > have run it from terminal to see the output. Actually, I tried once, but
    > undoubtably had the wrong command. Sorry, to no have provided any more
    > information. I do understand that Samba is set up as a server, I meant
    > that instead of using the Server version of Ubuntu with no GUI, I wanted
    > to use Samba in Gnome. I don't know what I did wrong three times. I just
    > installed with Synaptic from the repos as I usually do everything else
    > unless they aren't there or I don't like the version in the repos. Thanks
    > for your responses.
    >
    > Gregg

    You need to edit /etc/samba/smb.conf and make sure that the workgroup
    definition matches the workgroup that your Windoze boxes belong to. You
    also need to set up samba users, or else you won't be able to login from a
    Windoze box to a samba share.

    The samba server runs as a daemon. You don't "run" it as such. Once
    installed it runs every time you start Ubuntu. You can stop or restart the
    samba server so that it reads it's smb.conf file by using the command:

    sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart

    After making any changes to smb.conf, you should run that command so that
    the new smb.conf file is used.

    Here's a place where you can learn more about how to set up samba users:

    http://www.samba.netfirms.com/addusers.htm

    Take note that the article(s) refer to a system that uses root. Ubuntu uses
    the sudo command to gain privileges necessary to do this stuff. So for
    commands you see in the article, use "sudo" at the start of each command.

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    How to get help at Microsoft Support ...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C2SIZ5qsSQ

  11. Re: Samba and 8.04

    On Friday 02 May 2008 14:07 gregg licked a pencil and jotted:

> [...]

    >>> just now had to time to try this in one of my schools and had the
    >>> crashes. These were actually quick tries with honestly little research.
    >>> I just wondered is there was an issue with Hardy and Samba. There is at
    >>> least one other person that has had the same issue in the Ubuntu
    >>> Forums, but there has been responses here and none there.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Gregg

    >> I think that what you are trying to do is the most straightforward
    >> thing, and with a little bit of help here, you will get it running. You
    >> can them have 200 concurrent clients.
    >>
    >> The knowledge that you would acquire, is valuable.

    > Thanks for the information. With school winding down and most of my
    > installations done, I should have time to get started on this and at
    > least have enough of a framework that I could really do some things next

    If you want a nice, easy, clicky route try webmin.

    http://www.webmin.com/download.html

    Install on the server or pc and then you can administer via a web browser
    (either https://localhost:10000 if you are sitting at it or, well obviously
    you can do it from another pc on the network). Of course, if you set up SSH
    on the server you can also use it from anywhere, I sometimes check up on
    things in my lunch hour at work, from an XP PC using putty as the ssh
    client.

    I have been warned though, not to use Webmin to reconfigure disk partitions,
    not that I would anyway but thought I would pass that on.

    I am sure purists will have many (valid) reasons why webmin is not a good
    idea but I am using it without issue, and (to my knowledge) no security
    holes.

    I have it running on all linux boxes here (clients and my recent server
    install) and use it to administer all sorts.

    There was an issue with Samba and KDE (Kubuntu is my version of choice)
    which needed a bit of finagling to sort out, just a bit of manual editing
    of conf files, nothing too awkward just an annoyance.

    Setting up shares, users and groups with webmin just worked. Needless to say
    my server has no gui and webmin is beautiful for administering it.

    If you want to set up a cross platform database consider the server install.
    I installed the server version for the first time about 3 weeks ago, it
    took about 30minutes including carefully reading the text-based install
    options. It will put on Apache/PHP/mySQL OOTB and doesn't need much work
    (but some reading!) to get up and running

    With no prior experience of mySQL or PHP I have now got web-based access to
    all my old Access databases which I converted and exported to mySQL. I can
    also reach the mySQL backends with msQuery, Access or Excel using ODBC if
    required.

    HTH

    David

    --
    Knowledge is of two kinds: we know a subject ourselves, or we know where we
    can find information upon it. (Samuel Johnson)

  12. Re: Samba and 8.04

    On Fri, 02 May 2008 14:46:02 +0000, Baldylocks-Ubuntu wrote:

> [...]

    > which needed a bit of finagling to sort out, just a bit of manual
    > editing of conf files, nothing too awkward just an annoyance.
    >
    > Setting up shares, users and groups with webmin just worked. Needless to
    > say my server has no gui and webmin is beautiful for administering it.
    >
    > If you want to set up a cross platform database consider the server
    > install. I installed the server version for the first time about 3 weeks
    > ago, it took about 30minutes including carefully reading the text-based
    > install options. It will put on Apache/PHP/mySQL OOTB and doesn't need
    > much work (but some reading!) to get up and running
    >
    > With no prior experience of mySQL or PHP I have now got web-based access
    > to all my old Access databases which I converted and exported to mySQL.
    > I can also reach the mySQL backends with msQuery, Access or Excel using

    Thanks for the info. Have downloaded and will check it out.

  13. Re: Samba and 8.04

    On Fri, 02 May 2008 07:40:53 -0700, NoStop wrote:

    > You need to edit /etc/samba/smb.conf and make sure that the workgroup
    > definition matches the workgroup that your Windoze boxes belong to. You
    > also need to set up samba users, or else you won't be able to login from
    > a Windoze box to a samba share.
    >
    > The samba server runs as a daemon. You don't "run" it as such. Once
    > installed it runs every time you start Ubuntu. You can stop or restart
    > the samba server so that it reads it's smb.conf file by using the
    > command:
    >
    > sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart
    >
    > After making any changes to smb.conf, you should run that command so
    > that the new smb.conf file is used.
    >
    > Here's a place where you can learn more about how to set up samba users:
    >
    > http://www.samba.netfirms.com/addusers.htm
    >
    > Take note that the article(s) refer to a system that uses root. Ubuntu
    > uses the sudo command to gain privileges necessary to do this stuff. So
    > for commands you see in the article, use "sudo" at the start of each
    > command.
    >
    > Cheers.

    Thanks, will start working on this next week. In the least I'll be able
    to get something set up after school is out.

  14. Re: Samba and 8.04

    Baldylocks-Ubuntu wrote:
> [...]

    > which needed a bit of finagling to sort out, just a bit of manual editing
    > of conf files, nothing too awkward just an annoyance.
    >
    > Setting up shares, users and groups with webmin just worked. Needless to say
    > my server has no gui and webmin is beautiful for administering it.
    >
    > If you want to set up a cross platform database consider the server install.
    > I installed the server version for the first time about 3 weeks ago, it
    > took about 30minutes including carefully reading the text-based install
    > options. It will put on Apache/PHP/mySQL OOTB and doesn't need much work
    > (but some reading!) to get up and running
    >
    > With no prior experience of mySQL or PHP I have now got web-based access to
    > all my old Access databases which I converted and exported to mySQL. I can
    > also reach the mySQL backends with msQuery, Access or Excel using ODBC if

    SWAT does a similar thing for samba

  15. Re: Samba and 8.04

    gregg wrote:
    > On Fri, 02 May 2008 07:40:53 -0700, NoStop wrote:
    >
    >> You need to edit /etc/samba/smb.conf and make sure that the workgroup
    >> definition matches the workgroup that your Windoze boxes belong to. You
    >> also need to set up samba users, or else you won't be able to login from
    >> a Windoze box to a samba share.
    >>
    >> The samba server runs as a daemon. You don't "run" it as such. Once
    >> installed it runs every time you start Ubuntu. You can stop or restart
    >> the samba server so that it reads it's smb.conf file by using the
    >> command:
    >>
    >> sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart
    >>
    >> After making any changes to smb.conf, you should run that command so
    >> that the new smb.conf file is used.
    >>
    >> Here's a place where you can learn more about how to set up samba users:
    >>
    >> http://www.samba.netfirms.com/addusers.htm
    >>
    >> Take note that the article(s) refer to a system that uses root. Ubuntu
    >> uses the sudo command to gain privileges necessary to do this stuff. So
    >> for commands you see in the article, use "sudo" at the start of each
    >> command.
    >>
    >> Cheers.

    > Thanks, will start working on this next week. In the least I'll be able
    > to get something set up after school is out.

    I do like, in hardy, that nautilus can setup the shares for you and set
    the correct share and file permissions without having to edit the conf file.

  16. Re: Samba and 8.04

    gregg wrote:
> [...]

    > the end of the school year the schools don't have the funds for it at
    > this time. I hope this clears things up a bit more. While my Linux
    > experience is somewhat limited, unfortunately I am "experienced" relative
    > to most other members of the IT Department. So, like I said knowing what
    > I am doing is relative. I certainly don't take offense at your first
    > impression, but to not try and do I will for sure not know what I am
    > doing. I have set up Samba at home with earlier versions of Ubuntu and
    > share over the home network. I just now had to time to try this in one of
    > my schools and had the crashes. These were actually quick tries with
    > honestly little research. I just wondered is there was an issue with
    > Hardy and Samba. There is at least one other person that has had the same
    > issue in the Ubuntu Forums, but there has been responses here and none

    In samba you can use user authorisation, so that each user can only get
    access to their own shares. You have to use the 'sudo smbpasswd -a user'
    command to set a password for each user. Then edit the smb.conf file and
    add a line 'valid user = user' to each share.

  17. Re: Samba and 8.04

    On 2008-05-02, Ian Pawson wrote:

    > SWAT does a similar thing for samba

    Snip, people, snip... ;-)

    Yes, it does. But Webmin does it for most of the major services
    you'll be running on a machine. Apache, MySQL, Squid, Dansguardian,
    Samba, so on and so forth. Very nice tool.

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

+ Reply to Thread