Xubuntu and Windows XP - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Xubuntu and Windows XP - Ubuntu ; I have a pc with Windows XP installed. (400Mhz CPU, 256 MB RAM) I installed also Xubuntu. (together with Windows) When I boot the pc, I can not choose which OS to use. The (USB) keyboard is not reacting to ...

  1. Xubuntu and Windows XP

    I have a pc with Windows XP installed. (400Mhz CPU, 256 MB RAM)
    I installed also Xubuntu. (together with Windows)

    When I boot the pc, I can not choose which OS to use.
    The (USB) keyboard is not reacting to make different choices.
    I also tried a non-usb keyboard, but that one doesn't react either.

    Xubuntu is on top and Windows is at the bottom.
    So automatically Xubuntu is loaded after the time out.

    Once Xubuntu has started the keyboard works fine, so I'm able to logon
    ( )

    Is there any solution to that problem. ?

    Is it possible to set Windows on top in the loader?
    If so, how ?

    Rgds
    Henk

  2. Re: Xubuntu and Windows XP

    On Thu, 01 May 2008 21:03:20 +0200, Henk Oegema wrote:

    > I have a pc with Windows XP installed. (400Mhz CPU, 256 MB RAM) I
    > installed also Xubuntu. (together with Windows)
    >
    > When I boot the pc, I can not choose which OS to use. The (USB) keyboard
    > is not reacting to make different choices. I also tried a non-usb
    > keyboard, but that one doesn't react either.
    >
    > Xubuntu is on top and Windows is at the bottom. So automatically Xubuntu
    > is loaded after the time out.
    >
    > Once Xubuntu has started the keyboard works fine, so I'm able to logon (
    > )
    >
    > Is there any solution to that problem. ?
    >
    > Is it possible to set Windows on top in the loader? If so, how ?
    >
    > Rgds
    > Henk

    Seems like a USB issue. Check your BIOS settings for the 'legacy USB'
    option. On a few occasions enabling legacy USB support did the trick.

  3. Re: Xubuntu and Windows XP

    Henk Oegema wrote:
    > I have a pc with Windows XP installed. (400Mhz CPU, 256 MB RAM)

    This is where it would be useful to know what is the pc brand/modelno or
    its mobo and/or whether or not its usb is on the mobo or a pci card. I
    think I'll assume that the usb is on the mobo and that the keyboard is
    plugged into that mobo usb.

    > I installed also Xubuntu. (together with Windows)
    >
    > When I boot the pc, I can not choose which OS to use.
    > The (USB) keyboard is not reacting to make different choices.

    You need to get into your BIOS and enable the USB keyboard. Here's a
    screenshot of someone doing that
    http://www.smartcomputing.com/editor...A98F3D65DC7942
    6F9FED3356E1E343D0&image=00966041.jpg&caption=For+a+USB+keyboard+to+work
    +properly+when+using+real%2Dmode+applications+or+D OS%2C+you%27ll+have+to
    +enable+USB+%28Universal+Serial+Bus%29+keyboard+su pport+in+the+system+BI
    OS+%28Basic+Input%2FOutput+System%29%2E or snurled of the above
    http://snipr.com/26oke

    > I also tried a non-usb keyboard, but that one doesn't react either.

    Let's stick with one undefined problem at a time. I can't imagine why a
    PS2 keyboard wouldn't be seen by the bios, maybe you plugged it into the
    ps2 mouse port.

    > Xubuntu is on top and Windows is at the bottom.
    > So automatically Xubuntu is loaded after the time out.
    >
    > Once Xubuntu has started the keyboard works fine, so I'm able to logon
    > ( )
    >
    > Is there any solution to that problem. ?

    Enable the keyboard in the bios.

    > Is it possible to set Windows on top in the loader?
    > If so, how ?

    Edit grub menu.lst by changing default from 0 to the number for the
    Windows.

    --
    Mike Easter

  4. Re: Xubuntu and Windows XP

    maxx wrote:

    > On Thu, 01 May 2008 21:03:20 +0200, Henk Oegema wrote:
    >
    >> I have a pc with Windows XP installed. (400Mhz CPU, 256 MB RAM) I
    >> installed also Xubuntu. (together with Windows)
    >>
    >> When I boot the pc, I can not choose which OS to use. The (USB) keyboard
    >> is not reacting to make different choices. I also tried a non-usb
    >> keyboard, but that one doesn't react either.
    >>
    >> Xubuntu is on top and Windows is at the bottom. So automatically Xubuntu
    >> is loaded after the time out.
    >>
    >> Once Xubuntu has started the keyboard works fine, so I'm able to logon (
    >> )
    >>
    >> Is there any solution to that problem. ?
    >>
    >> Is it possible to set Windows on top in the loader? If so, how ?
    >>
    >> Rgds
    >> Henk

    > Seems like a USB issue. Check your BIOS settings for the 'legacy USB'
    > option. On a few occasions enabling legacy USB support did the trick.

    YES, you did it.

    Thanks very much.

  5. Re: Xubuntu and Windows XP

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > You need to get into your BIOS and enable the USB keyboard. Here's a
    > screenshot of someone doing that

    Thanks Mike. It works now.

  6. Re: Xubuntu and Windows XP

    Henk Oegema wrote in news:YtoSj.1326$_f5.830
    @newsfe05.ams2:

    > I have a pc with Windows XP installed. (400Mhz CPU, 256 MB RAM)
    > I installed also Xubuntu. (together with Windows)
    >
    > When I boot the pc, I can not choose which OS to use.
    > The (USB) keyboard is not reacting to make different choices.
    > I also tried a non-usb keyboard, but that one doesn't react either.
    >
    > Xubuntu is on top and Windows is at the bottom.
    > So automatically Xubuntu is loaded after the time out.
    >
    > Once Xubuntu has started the keyboard works fine, so I'm able to logon
    > ( )
    >
    > Is there any solution to that problem. ?
    >
    > Is it possible to set Windows on top in the loader?
    > If so, how ?

    Since you've got the keyboard problem figured out, had you done anything
    about the boot order ?

    I didn't give it much thought about which OS was the default after I got
    the dual-boot setup working.

    But then one day I was remoted into my box under XP and RDP. I can't
    remember what exactly happened, but thru RPD, I had to do a shutdown /r
    on the XP remote box, and it never came back.

    It never came back becuase the timeout default in the dual-boot setup was
    Ununtu, and that is what started, and I couldn't get back to the Windows
    install to do what I needed to do until I got home.

  7. Re: Xubuntu and Windows XP

    DanS illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Henk Oegema wrote in news:YtoSj.1326$_f5.830
    > @newsfe05.ams2:
    >
    >> I have a pc with Windows XP installed. (400Mhz CPU, 256 MB RAM)
    >> I installed also Xubuntu. (together with Windows)
    >>
    >> When I boot the pc, I can not choose which OS to use.
    >> The (USB) keyboard is not reacting to make different choices.
    >> I also tried a non-usb keyboard, but that one doesn't react either.
    >>
    >> Xubuntu is on top and Windows is at the bottom.
    >> So automatically Xubuntu is loaded after the time out.
    >>
    >> Once Xubuntu has started the keyboard works fine, so I'm able to logon
    >> ( )
    >>
    >> Is there any solution to that problem. ?
    >>
    >> Is it possible to set Windows on top in the loader?
    >> If so, how ?

    > Since you've got the keyboard problem figured out, had you done anything
    > about the boot order ?
    >
    > I didn't give it much thought about which OS was the default after I got
    > the dual-boot setup working.
    >
    > But then one day I was remoted into my box under XP and RDP. I can't
    > remember what exactly happened, but thru RPD, I had to do a shutdown /r
    > on the XP remote box, and it never came back.
    >
    > It never came back becuase the timeout default in the dual-boot setup was
    > Ununtu, and that is what started, and I couldn't get back to the Windows
    > install to do what I needed to do until I got home.

    Ironically, the first thing *I'd* have thought of prior to even
    contemplating a remote shutdown would have been...

    What will happen if I do a remote shutdown.

    I'd have organised an ssh login to Ubuntu before even leaving my
    house.

    --
    Moog

    "The G is for the gnarled face of someone who's on ninety thousand
    pounds a week who reckoned he should have had a throw in"

  8. Re: Xubuntu and Windows XP

    Moog wrote in

    >> Since you've got the keyboard problem figured out, had you done
    >> anything about the boot order ?
    >>
    >> I didn't give it much thought about which OS was the default after I
    >> got the dual-boot setup working.
    >>
    >> But then one day I was remoted into my box under XP and RDP. I can't
    >> remember what exactly happened, but thru RPD, I had to do a shutdown
    >> /r on the XP remote box, and it never came back.
    >>
    >> It never came back becuase the timeout default in the dual-boot setup
    >> was Ununtu, and that is what started, and I couldn't get back to the
    >> Windows install to do what I needed to do until I got home.

    > Ironically, the first thing *I'd* have thought of prior to even
    > contemplating a remote shutdown would have been...
    >
    > What will happen if I do a remote shutdown.

    In my own defense, it was very shortly after I got the dual boot thing
    working and didn't even think about it. I had no clue as to what happened
    until I got home. DOH !

    > I'd have organised an ssh login to Ubuntu before even leaving my
    > house.

    In time I'll get remoting into Ubuntu working. I do probably spend an
    hour a day on remote. I'm an absolute new-comer to Ubuntu, well, Linux
    period, but the knowledge comes slower now than it did 25 years ago.

  9. Re: Xubuntu and Windows XP

    DanS illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote in
    >
    >>> Since you've got the keyboard problem figured out, had you done
    >>> anything about the boot order ?
    >>>
    >>> I didn't give it much thought about which OS was the default after I
    >>> got the dual-boot setup working.
    >>>
    >>> But then one day I was remoted into my box under XP and RDP. I can't
    >>> remember what exactly happened, but thru RPD, I had to do a shutdown
    >>> /r on the XP remote box, and it never came back.
    >>>
    >>> It never came back becuase the timeout default in the dual-boot setup
    >>> was Ununtu, and that is what started, and I couldn't get back to the
    >>> Windows install to do what I needed to do until I got home.

    >> Ironically, the first thing *I'd* have thought of prior to even
    >> contemplating a remote shutdown would have been...
    >>
    >> What will happen if I do a remote shutdown.

    > In my own defense, it was very shortly after I got the dual boot thing
    > working and didn't even think about it. I had no clue as to what happened
    > until I got home. DOH !

    Understood Dan. We've all been there.

    >> I'd have organised an ssh login to Ubuntu before even leaving my
    >> house.

    > In time I'll get remoting into Ubuntu working. I do probably spend an
    > hour a day on remote. I'm an absolute new-comer to Ubuntu, well, Linux
    > period, but the knowledge comes slower now than it did 25 years ago.

    There's plenty of help here. I think most of us use ssh. That might be
    somewhere to start. Let the group know if you need any advice.

    --
    Moog

    "The G is for the gnarled face of someone who's on ninety thousand
    pounds a week who reckoned he should have had a throw in"

+ Reply to Thread