Me and 8.04 are not getting along - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Me and 8.04 are not getting along - Ubuntu ; After using Dapper for last year and a half, I thought that I should look into upgrading to Hardy Heron. Proved to be a mistake. I have been using a series of PIII-866/512RAM machines for my Linux endeavours with great ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

  1. Me and 8.04 are not getting along

    After using Dapper for last year and a half, I thought that I should
    look into upgrading to Hardy Heron. Proved to be a mistake. I have
    been using a series of PIII-866/512RAM machines for my Linux
    endeavours with great success until I tried to upgrade. I tried the
    method outlined on the Official Ubuntu Upgrade page, and ended up with
    a mess.

    After downloading, burning and checking the integrity of an
    8.04-Alternative iso, I invoked the upgrade script and things went
    fairly smoothly until the last stages. I got an error stating that a
    font file was corrupt. And so it was. After ejecting the CD, I found
    that I'd lost the Enlightenment WM and that all of the application
    fonts had been replaced with wee boxes. Hmmm. Rather than gnash my
    teeth, I pulled the hdd and put it away for later rescue.

    So I tried a fresh, bare metal install with a freshly downloaded,
    checked and burned image. The time frame for the install was well over
    two hours! Sheesh! To make matters worse, after completing the
    install, I found that Hardy ignored the eth1 NIC which rendered the
    machine usless on the LAN. I did find that configuring a network
    printer was ever so much easier than with Dapper. After spending a
    couple of more hours on the various problems, I decided to just blow
    away Hardy and replace it with a clean install of Dapper. That install
    was about an hour including re-partitioning. Dapper may be getting
    long in the tooth, but by golly, it installed without a hitch and
    *activated the NIC* without blinking. It has now been updated from the
    Dapper repos and will get tweaked as time and patience permit.

    Hardy may work well for some folks, but on the hardware that I have
    available, it's not perhaps the best choice.

  2. Re: Me and 8.04 are not getting along

    Kurt Steinhauser wrote:

    > Hardy may work well for some folks, but on the hardware that I have
    > available, it's not perhaps the best choice.

    You're just not living right. :-)

    Hardy does okay in live mode on my PIII/700Mhz, 512MB Dell laptop.

    Obviously something odd going on. A two hour install and non-detection
    of a plain jane NIC??? That's pretty much unheard of.

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5

  3. Re: Me and 8.04 are not getting along

    On Thu, 01 May 2008 12:19:20 -0400, Mark Warner wrote:

    > Kurt Steinhauser wrote:
    >>
    >> Hardy may work well for some folks, but on the hardware that I have
    >> available, it's not perhaps the best choice.

    > You're just not living right. :-)

    very likey

    > Hardy does okay in live mode on my PIII/700Mhz, 512MB Dell laptop.

    No problems with a live mode? Good deal.

    > Obviously something odd going on. A two hour install and non-detection
    > of a plain jane NIC??? That's pretty much unheard of.

    Guess I've spent too much time emailing Moody and his luck has rubbed off.
    I was really mystified that the silly thing would not find the NIC. And
    that was with two seperately dowmloaded, checked MD5s and verified
    integrity and burned on seperate burners at 4-8X speed. What are the odds
    of frelling things up that badly when so many precautions were taken?

    Call me Joe Blitzvk

    --
    Cheers, Kurt

  4. Re: Me and 8.04 are not getting along

    On 2008-05-01, Kurt Steinhauser wrote:
    > On Thu, 01 May 2008 12:19:20 -0400, Mark Warner wrote:
    >
    >> Kurt Steinhauser wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Hardy may work well for some folks, but on the hardware that I have
    >>> available, it's not perhaps the best choice.

    >> You're just not living right. :-)

    > very likey
    >

    >> Hardy does okay in live mode on my PIII/700Mhz, 512MB Dell laptop.

    > No problems with a live mode? Good deal.
    >

    >> Obviously something odd going on. A two hour install and non-detection
    >> of a plain jane NIC??? That's pretty much unheard of.

    > Guess I've spent too much time emailing Moody and his luck has rubbed off.
    > I was really mystified that the silly thing would not find the NIC. And
    > that was with two seperately dowmloaded, checked MD5s and verified
    > integrity and burned on seperate burners at 4-8X speed. What are the odds
    > of frelling things up that badly when so many precautions were taken?
    >
    > Call me Joe Blitzvk

    Can you clarify what it means by not recognizing it?

    can you type

    sudo ethtool eth0
    sudo ethtool eth1
    sudo ethtool eth2

    and see what it prints?
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  5. Re: Me and 8.04 are not getting along

    On Thu, 01 May 2008 12:53:54 -0500, Ignoramus3962 wrote:

    > Can you clarify what it means by not recognizing it?
    >
    > can you type
    >
    > sudo ethtool eth0
    > sudo ethtool eth1
    > sudo ethtool eth2
    >
    > and see what it prints?
    > --

    I would oblige, but I blew away the entire Hardy install. I did use the
    CLI to probe for the NIC, but all probes reported no device found.
    Perhaps I'll try again with a duplicate machine later and use a different
    CD for the third attempt.
    --
    Cheers, Kurt

  6. Re: Me and 8.04 are not getting along

    Kurt Steinhauser wrote:

    > Guess I've spent too much time emailing Moody and his luck has rubbed off.

    Why didn't you say that before? That explains everything.

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5
    Registered Linux User #415318
    ....lose .inhibitions when replying

  7. Re: Me and 8.04 are not getting along

    On Thu, 01 May 2008 12:11:15 -0400, Kurt Steinhauser wrote:

    > After using Dapper for last year and a half, I thought that I should
    > look into upgrading to Hardy Heron. Proved to be a mistake. I have
    > been using a series of PIII-866/512RAM machines for my Linux
    > endeavours with great success until I tried to upgrade. I tried the
    > method outlined on the Official Ubuntu Upgrade page, and ended up with
    > a mess.
    >
    > After downloading, burning and checking the integrity of an
    > 8.04-Alternative iso, I invoked the upgrade script and things went
    > fairly smoothly until the last stages. I got an error stating that a
    > font file was corrupt. And so it was. After ejecting the CD, I found
    > that I'd lost the Enlightenment WM and that all of the application
    > fonts had been replaced with wee boxes. Hmmm. Rather than gnash my
    > teeth, I pulled the hdd and put it away for later rescue.
    >
    > So I tried a fresh, bare metal install with a freshly downloaded,
    > checked and burned image. The time frame for the install was well over
    > two hours! Sheesh! To make matters worse, after completing the
    > install, I found that Hardy ignored the eth1 NIC which rendered the
    > machine usless on the LAN. I did find that configuring a network
    > printer was ever so much easier than with Dapper. After spending a
    > couple of more hours on the various problems, I decided to just blow
    > away Hardy and replace it with a clean install of Dapper. That install
    > was about an hour including re-partitioning. Dapper may be getting
    > long in the tooth, but by golly, it installed without a hitch and
    > *activated the NIC* without blinking. It has now been updated from the
    > Dapper repos and will get tweaked as time and patience permit.
    >
    > Hardy may work well for some folks, but on the hardware that I have
    > available, it's not perhaps the best choice.

    I've got a PIII/800 downstairs that I've been itching to install Hardy on.
    It's got a Promise RAID controller but fairly common hardware otherwise.
    I'll report back and let you know what happened.

  8. Re: Me and 8.04 are not getting along

    In article ,
    Kurt Steinhauser wrote:
    > was about an hour including re-partitioning. Dapper may be getting
    > long in the tooth, but by golly, it installed without a hitch and
    > *activated the NIC* without blinking. It has now been updated from the

    But don't you want the NIC to blink? The blinking usually means it is
    working.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  9. Re: Me and 8.04 are not getting along

    Tim Smith wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Kurt Steinhauser wrote:
    >
    >> was about an hour including re-partitioning. Dapper may be getting
    >> long in the tooth, but by golly, it installed without a hitch and
    >> *activated the NIC* without blinking. It has now been updated from the
    >>

    > But don't you want the NIC to blink? The blinking usually means it is
    > working.

    The blinking or not blinking subject is Dapper -- not a NIC.

    Many NICs do not blink unless they have an Activity lamp. Some just have
    a Link lamp, which is steady.

    --
    John

  10. Re: Me and 8.04 are not getting along

    Kurt Steinhauser wrote:

    > At this time, I'm inclined to think that both of the downloaded, checked
    > and verified isos were borked. I may try another mirror and try an
    > install to same machine with a duplicate hdd.

    Do you think Linux will /ever/ be ready for the desktop?

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5
    Registered Linux User #415318
    ....lose .inhibitions when replying

  11. Re: Me and 8.04 are not getting along

    In article <680fqrF2q177hU1@mid.individual.net>, Mark Warner wrote:
    > Do you think Linux will /ever/ be ready for the desktop?

    It's been ready for mine for quite a few years now. Your mileage
    may vary.

    --
    Roger Blake
    (Subtract 10s for email. "Google Groups" messages killfiled due to spam.)

  12. Re: Me and 8.04 are not getting along

    On 2008-05-02, Kurt Steinhauser wrote:
    > On Thu, 01 May 2008 22:43:52 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:
    >
    >> In article ,
    >> Kurt Steinhauser wrote:
    >>> was about an hour including re-partitioning. Dapper may be getting
    >>> long in the tooth, but by golly, it installed without a hitch and
    >>> *activated the NIC* without blinking. It has now been updated from the

    >> But don't you want the NIC to blink? The blinking usually means it is
    >> working.

    > The NIC works just fine, and had been fine under the orginal Dapper
    > install. It continues to work without a problem on the new Dapper
    > install.
    >
    > At this time, I'm inclined to think that both of the downloaded, checked
    > and verified isos were borked. I may try another mirror and try an
    > install to same machine with a duplicate hdd.

    I do not think that bad ISOs were to blame, the second time you tried.

    But I also think that you gave up too quickly.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  13. Re: Me and 8.04 are not getting along

    On Fri, 02 May 2008 08:30:29 -0400, Mark Warner wrote:

    > Kurt Steinhauser wrote:
    >

    >> At this time, I'm inclined to think that both of the downloaded, checked
    >> and verified isos were borked. I may try another mirror and try an
    >> install to same machine with a duplicate hdd.

    > Do you think Linux will /ever/ be ready for the desktop?

    If you mean 100% bug free when released, no. If you mean bundled with
    every free application imaginable that are 100% cross-platform compatible,
    no. If you mean ready to download and install for free supporting most
    hardware configurations without a fuss and bundled with the basics the
    average Joe needs, yes.

  14. Re: Me and 8.04 are not getting along

    Mark Warner illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Kurt Steinhauser wrote:
    >

    >> At this time, I'm inclined to think that both of the downloaded, checked
    >> and verified isos were borked. I may try another mirror and try an
    >> install to same machine with a duplicate hdd.

    > Do you think Linux will /ever/ be ready for the desktop?

    WTF?

    It's ready for the desktop now.

    Problems people have can be classified in two ways.

    1) Hardware incompatibilites - Due to the dominance of certain OS'es
    then Linux distributions will always struggle to run closed source
    hardware unless the manufacturer releases full specs and or driver
    code.
    2) User Error - Users migrating from other OS'es (and I am previously
    one of those) can make fundamental schoolboy configuration errors
    meaning the Ubuntu (or any distro) operating system does not work
    correctly.

    Both the above points are immovable. They will *always* occur.

    So. In conclusion....
    Anyone who comes out with "Linux is not ready for the desktop" is a
    complete and utter ****nugget.

    HTH.

    --
    Moog

    "The G is for the gnarled face of someone who's on ninety thousand
    pounds a week who reckoned he should have had a throw in"

  15. Re: Me and 8.04 are not getting along

    Moog wrote:
    > Mark Warner illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Kurt Steinhauser wrote:
    >>
    >>> At this time, I'm inclined to think that both of the downloaded, checked
    >>> and verified isos were borked. I may try another mirror and try an
    >>> install to same machine with a duplicate hdd.

    >> Do you think Linux will /ever/ be ready for the desktop?

    > WTF?
    >
    > It's ready for the desktop now.
    >
    > Problems people have can be classified in two ways.
    >
    > 1) Hardware incompatibilites - Due to the dominance of certain OS'es
    > then Linux distributions will always struggle to run closed source
    > hardware unless the manufacturer releases full specs and or driver
    > code.
    > 2) User Error - Users migrating from other OS'es (and I am previously
    > one of those) can make fundamental schoolboy configuration errors
    > meaning the Ubuntu (or any distro) operating system does not work
    > correctly.
    >
    > Both the above points are immovable. They will *always* occur.
    >
    > So. In conclusion....
    > Anyone who comes out with "Linux is not ready for the desktop" is a
    > complete and utter ****nugget.
    >
    > HTH.

    You guys really need to get your sarcasm detectors recalibrated.

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5
    Registered Linux User #415318
    ....lose .inhibitions when replying

  16. Re: Me and 8.04 are not getting along

    Mark Warner wrote:
    > Kurt Steinhauser wrote:
    >

    >> At this time, I'm inclined to think that both of the downloaded,
    >> checked and verified isos were borked. I may try another mirror and
    >> try an install to same machine with a duplicate hdd.

    > Do you think Linux will /ever/ be ready for the desktop?

    It has been for many years.

    Where you been?

    --
    John

  17. Re: Me and 8.04 are not getting along

    On Fri, 02 May 2008 08:30:29 -0400, Mark Warner wrote:

    > Kurt Steinhauser wrote:
    >

    >> At this time, I'm inclined to think that both of the downloaded,
    >> checked and verified isos were borked. I may try another mirror and try
    >> an install to same machine with a duplicate hdd.

    > Do you think Linux will /ever/ be ready for the desktop?

    Yes, I do. But until there is a better degree of standardization on how
    to do things and the "geekiness" label is worn off, it will still be a
    while. We have tended to become very complacient with the way that
    computers work as a result of these many years of working with
    Micorsoft's notion of how things should be done. And no one, I repeat no
    one has done a better marketing of a product than Microsoft. Not even
    General Motors or Ford Motor Co.
    --
    Cheers, Kurt

  18. Re: Me and 8.04 are not getting along

    On Fri, 02 May 2008 08:30:29 -0400, Mark Warner wrote:

    > Kurt Steinhauser wrote:
    >

    >> At this time, I'm inclined to think that both of the downloaded,
    >> checked and verified isos were borked. I may try another mirror and try
    >> an install to same machine with a duplicate hdd.

    > Do you think Linux will /ever/ be ready for the desktop?

    Yes, I do. But until there is a better degree of standardization on how
    to do things and the "geekiness" label is worn off, it will still be a
    while. We have tended to become very complacient with the way that
    computers work as a result of these many years of working with
    Micorsoft's notion of how things should be done. And no one, I repeat no
    one has done a better marketing of a product than Microsoft. Not even
    General Motors or Ford Motor Co.
    --
    Cheers, Kurt

  19. Re: Me and 8.04 are not getting along

    On Fri, 02 May 2008 08:30:29 -0400, Mark Warner wrote:

    > Kurt Steinhauser wrote:
    >

    >> At this time, I'm inclined to think that both of the downloaded,
    >> checked and verified isos were borked. I may try another mirror and try
    >> an install to same machine with a duplicate hdd.

    > Do you think Linux will /ever/ be ready for the desktop?

    Yes, I do. But until there is a better degree of standardization on how
    to do things and the "geekiness" label is worn off, it will still be a
    while. We have tended to become very complacient with the way that
    computers work as a result of these many years of working with
    Micorsoft's notion of how things should be done. And no one, I repeat no
    one has done a better marketing of a product than Microsoft. Not even
    General Motors or Ford Motor Co.
    --
    Cheers, Kurt

  20. Re: Me and 8.04 are not getting along

    Kurt Steinhauser wrote:
    > On Fri, 02 May 2008 08:30:29 -0400, Mark Warner wrote:
    >

    >> Kurt Steinhauser wrote:
    >>

    >>> At this time, I'm inclined to think that both of the downloaded,
    >>> checked and verified isos were borked. I may try another mirror and try
    >>> an install to same machine with a duplicate hdd.
    >>>

    >> Do you think Linux will /ever/ be ready for the desktop?
    >>

    > Yes, I do. But until there is a better degree of standardization on how
    > to do things and the "geekiness" label is worn off, it will still be a
    > while. We have tended to become very complacient with the way that
    > computers work as a result of these many years of working with
    > Micorsoft's notion of how things should be done. And no one, I repeat no
    > one has done a better marketing of a product than Microsoft. Not even
    > General Motors or Ford Motor Co.

    Who is this "we" to whom you refer? Put your mouse on your desk. ;-)

    Not everybody has worked with Micr0$lut all of these years. I guess it
    might appear this way to someone who has.

    And where are Micr0$lut's advertisements? Apple is what I see all over
    the TV, with some guy in a suit named, "PC" instead of calling him
    "Windroid" or whatever would be more accurate. Apple has never realized
    it is also a "PC."

    Why is GNU/Linux not mentioned in the ads? Well, they don't want to let
    the public know there is an alternative now do they?!

    Windows is on PCs because it was forced upon the OEMs with threats, not
    because it was "marketed" or "advertised."

    I repeat, Micr0$lut has forced itself on the masses. Without forcing,
    lies and thievery, M$ would have vanished in the late 1980s.

    Plus the U.S. Government allowed M$ to walk out of so many lawsuits
    because the government:

    1. Knew they couldn't afford to replace Windoze on millions of
    government PCs.

    2. Has a back door for spying on foreign governments and users.

    BTW, using GM and Ford for any comparison isn't a good idea because they
    aren't doing all that good. The foreign auto makers are creating better
    vehicles that are less expensive and greener, and I think Mr. & Mrs.
    American is finally noticing.

    --
    John

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast