RS-232 terminal program - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on RS-232 terminal program - Ubuntu ; I'm a Windows user who is trying to switch to Linux. I need an RS-232 terminal program with a GUI - something like HyperTerm or Terra Term The computer I'm using has an RS-232 port, but it would be nice ...

  1. RS-232 terminal program

    I'm a Windows user who is trying to switch to Linux. I need an RS-232
    terminal program with a GUI - something like HyperTerm or Terra Term
    The computer I'm using has an RS-232 port, but it would be nice if
    I could get the USB-Serial device I have working as well.

    I plugged the device in, but there is no indication that Linux
    detected it.

    I'm using Ubuntu 8.0.4

    Is there an easy solution to my problem?

  2. Re: RS-232 terminal program

    Lowly Engineer wrote:
    > I'm a Windows user who is trying to switch to Linux. I need an RS-232
    > terminal program with a GUI - something like HyperTerm or Terra Term
    > The computer I'm using has an RS-232 port, but it would be nice if
    > I could get the USB-Serial device I have working as well.

    Check out minicom (which runs in a terminal such as GNOME Terminal),
    which looks and feels similar to the old Telix program of days gone by.
    It's very good for working with modems and serial devices.

    You can also check out "seyon", which is for X, but is most useful if
    you start it from the command line.

    To get these programs, of course, install them using apt-get or
    Synaptic. If you're using synaptic, just search for minicom or seyon,
    and check the boxes to install them; if you're using the terminal, copy
    and paste the following line:

    sudo apt-get install minicom seyon

    .... which will install both programs for you to check out. I used to
    use minicom quite a lot when I used modems often; today I am on a
    dedicated broadband connection and have no phone lines to dial out with
    using a modem (VoIP + modem services do not go very well together), so I
    can't tell you what other (perhaps "better," in someone's opinion other
    than mine) programs are available.

    > I plugged the device in, but there is no indication that Linux
    > detected it.
    >
    > I'm using Ubuntu 8.0.4
    >
    > Is there an easy solution to my problem?

    You might want to check the output of "dmesg" _right_ after plugging the
    device in, and then again after about 30 seconds after plugging the
    device in. I have found that sometimes, USB devices do not show up at
    all, or show up with lots of errors when plugged in, because of a bad
    USB cable. If it is showing up, it will tell you what kernel driver has
    associated itself with the USB device, and that will give you a clue as
    to what the new device node name will be.

    --- Mike

  3. Re: RS-232 terminal program

    On Thu, 01 May 2008 10:30:28 -0400, "Michael B. Trausch"
    wrote:

    >Lowly Engineer wrote:
    >> I'm a Windows user who is trying to switch to Linux. I need an RS-232
    >> terminal program with a GUI - something like HyperTerm or Terra Term
    >> The computer I'm using has an RS-232 port, but it would be nice if
    >> I could get the USB-Serial device I have working as well.

    >Check out minicom (which runs in a terminal such as GNOME Terminal),
    >which looks and feels similar to the old Telix program of days gone by.
    > It's very good for working with modems and serial devices.
    >
    >You can also check out "seyon", which is for X, but is most useful if
    >you start it from the command line.
    >
    >To get these programs, of course, install them using apt-get or
    >Synaptic. If you're using synaptic, just search for minicom or seyon,
    >and check the boxes to install them; if you're using the terminal, copy
    >and paste the following line:
    >
    >sudo apt-get install minicom seyon
    >
    >... which will install both programs for you to check out. I used to
    >use minicom quite a lot when I used modems often; today I am on a
    >dedicated broadband connection and have no phone lines to dial out with
    >using a modem (VoIP + modem services do not go very well together), so I
    >can't tell you what other (perhaps "better," in someone's opinion other
    >than mine) programs are available.
    >

    >> I plugged the device in, but there is no indication that Linux
    >> detected it.
    >>
    >> I'm using Ubuntu 8.0.4
    >>
    >> Is there an easy solution to my problem?
    >>

    >You might want to check the output of "dmesg" _right_ after plugging the
    >device in, and then again after about 30 seconds after plugging the
    >device in. I have found that sometimes, USB devices do not show up at
    >all, or show up with lots of errors when plugged in, because of a bad
    >USB cable. If it is showing up, it will tell you what kernel driver has
    >associated itself with the USB device, and that will give you a clue as
    >to what the new device node name will be.
    >
    > --- Mike

    Thanks a lot! I'll try it tonight.

  4. Re: RS-232 terminal program

    Lowly Engineer wrote in

    >>Check out minicom (which runs in a terminal such as GNOME Terminal),
    >>which looks and feels similar to the old Telix program of days gone by.
    >> It's very good for working with modems and serial devices.
    >>

    > Thanks a lot! I'll try it tonight.

    There's also CuteCom. Similar to just a basic serial terminal.

  5. Re: RS-232 terminal program

    DanS wrote:

    > There's also CuteCom. Similar to just a basic serial terminal.

    I'd seen that in the output from apt-cache, but it's also a program that
    I have never used (admittedly only because it uses Qt), so I didn't
    recommend it. I tend to not like to "mix-n-match" programs from
    different desktop environments/graphical toolkits together, because I
    hate an inconsistent look and feel in the application software I use.

    --- Mike

  6. Re: RS-232 terminal program

    "Michael B. Trausch" wrote in

    > DanS wrote:
    >>
    >> There's also CuteCom. Similar to just a basic serial terminal.
    >>

    > I'd seen that in the output from apt-cache, but it's also a program that
    > I have never used (admittedly only because it uses Qt), so I didn't
    > recommend it. I tend to not like to "mix-n-match" programs from
    > different desktop environments/graphical toolkits together, because I
    > hate an inconsistent look and feel in the application software I use.
    >
    > --- Mike

    I was just offering another package that I knew of, that's all.

    I didn't get it working properly, but I attribute that to my near zero
    knowledge of Linux, rather than to the program itself.

    (And maybe that the PC I was using has an add-in PCI dual serial port
    card.)

+ Reply to Thread