Cleaning up after recent upgrade - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Cleaning up after recent upgrade - Ubuntu ; Hi, Being still somewhat of a newbie I don't want to mess with the operating system too much as yet. Is there a method to cleaning up the prior versions that appear on in /boot/grub/menu.lst or is it simply a ...

  1. Cleaning up after recent upgrade

    Hi,

    Being still somewhat of a newbie I don't want to mess with the operating
    system too much as yet. Is there a method to cleaning up the prior versions
    that appear on in /boot/grub/menu.lst or is it simply a case of deleting the
    files from /boot and fixing the menu file.

    I have the following in my boot directory as an example

    abi-2.6.17-10-generic initrd.img-2.6.17-10-generic
    System.map-2.6.17-11-generic
    abi-2.6.17-11-generic initrd.img-2.6.17-11-generic
    System.map-2.6.20-16-generic
    abi-2.6.20-16-generic initrd.img-2.6.17-11-generic.bak
    System.map-2.6.22-14-generic
    abi-2.6.22-14-generic initrd.img-2.6.20-16-generic
    System.map-2.6.24-16-generic
    abi-2.6.24-16-generic initrd.img-2.6.20-16-generic.bak
    vmlinuz-2.6.17-10-generic
    config-2.6.17-10-generic initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
    vmlinuz-2.6.17-11-generic
    config-2.6.17-11-generic initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic.bak
    vmlinuz-2.6.20-16-generic
    config-2.6.20-16-generic initrd.img-2.6.24-16-generic
    vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic
    config-2.6.22-14-generic initrd.img-2.6.24-16-generic.bak
    vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-generic
    config-2.6.24-16-generic memtest86+.bin
    grub System.map-2.6.17-10-generic

    Thanks,

    Ade

  2. Re: Cleaning up after recent upgrade

    Ade wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Being still somewhat of a newbie I don't want to mess with the operating
    > system too much as yet. Is there a method to cleaning up the prior versions
    > that appear on in /boot/grub/menu.lst or is it simply a case of deleting the
    > files from /boot and fixing the menu file.

    Command `uname -a` would tell you which kernel version you are using.

    Then `dpkg -l | grep linux-image` to list all installed kernels.

    Use `dpkg -r kernel_name-version` to remove those not matching
    `uname -a`.

    On the other hand, are you that short of disk space? If you
    don't know what you would be doing, let it be... let it be...

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.10) Linux 2.6.25

  3. Re: Cleaning up after recent upgrade

    * Ade :
    > Hi,
    >
    > Being still somewhat of a newbie I don't want to mess with the operating
    > system too much as yet. Is there a method to cleaning up the prior versions
    > that appear on in /boot/grub/menu.lst or is it simply a case of deleting the
    > files from /boot and fixing the menu file.
    >
    > I have the following in my boot directory as an example

    SNIP

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Ade

    You can use synaptic to completely remove the kernels you don't want.
    Please check and double check :-)

    --
    Chaos, panic & disorder - my work here is done
    http://beginnerslinux.org

  4. Re: Cleaning up after recent upgrade

    On Thu, 01 May 2008 11:52:24 +0000, Ade wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Being still somewhat of a newbie I don't want to mess with the operating
    > system too much as yet. Is there a method to cleaning up the prior versions
    > that appear on in /boot/grub/menu.lst or is it simply a case of deleting the
    > files from /boot and fixing the menu file.

    You can edit the menu.lst to remove the older entries, make a backup of
    it first. Unless you are running low on disk space leave the kernel and
    the ramdisk images alone.

  5. Re: Cleaning up after recent upgrade

    * Meat Plow :
    > On Thu, 01 May 2008 11:52:24 +0000, Ade wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Being still somewhat of a newbie I don't want to mess with the operating
    >> system too much as yet. Is there a method to cleaning up the prior versions
    >> that appear on in /boot/grub/menu.lst or is it simply a case of deleting the
    >> files from /boot and fixing the menu file.

    > You can edit the menu.lst to remove the older entries, make a backup of
    > it first. Unless you are running low on disk space leave the kernel and
    > the ramdisk images alone.

    Whenever update-grub is called, it will regenerate 'menu.lst'. This
    occurs whenever a new kernel image is installed. Look for the following
    block in 'menu.lst', make appropriate changes, then run update-grub.

    ## controls how many kernels should be put into the menu.lst
    ## only counts the first occurence of a kernel, not the
    ## alternative kernel options
    ## e.g. howmany=all
    ## howmany=7
    # howmany=all

    NOTE: It is important that you leave the comment characters (#) intact
    since this particular option is parsed by update-grub and not by GRUB
    itself.

    --
    James Michael Fultz
    Remove this part when replying ^^^^^^^^