XUBUNTU 8.04 doesn't install - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on XUBUNTU 8.04 doesn't install - Ubuntu ; I downloaded and verfied md5sum XUBUNTU 8.04 When I tried to install it on a: Thinkpad T23 512 Mb RAM / P III mobile 1100Mhz The Bar was working for some minutes, and then, without any Error message, there was ...

  1. XUBUNTU 8.04 doesn't install

    I downloaded and verfied md5sum XUBUNTU 8.04
    When I tried to install it on a:
    Thinkpad T23 512 Mb RAM / P III mobile 1100Mhz
    The Bar was working for some minutes, and then,
    without any Error message, there was the command prompt.
    (there was nothing installed!)

    What I am doing wrong?

    Thanks

  2. Re: XUBUNTU 8.04 doesn't install

    eling wrote:
    > I downloaded and verfied md5sum XUBUNTU 8.04
    > When I tried to install it on a:
    > Thinkpad T23 512 Mb RAM / P III mobile 1100Mhz
    > The Bar was working for some minutes, and then,
    > without any Error message, there was the command prompt.
    > (there was nothing installed!)

    I think it's the video driver.

    Maybe you should try an older version (say 7.10 or even 7.04).
    Or you use a boot option to specify vesa display mode, or go
    directly to text-mode install.

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.10) Linux 2.6.25

  3. Re: XUBUNTU 8.04 doesn't install

    eling schrieb:

    > without any Error message, there was the command prompt.
    > (there was nothing installed!)

    The BusyBox?

    > What I am doing wrong?

    Had also problems booting ubuntu and kubuntu on an old machine, try to boot
    with the kernelparameter all_generic_ide, noapic andpci=noacpi, that worked
    for me.

    And remove also the "silent" and "quiet" parameters that you get more
    information if boot fails, and not only the progress bar.

    Martin.
    --
    Death is the only reality of life

  4. Re: XUBUNTU 8.04 doesn't install

    You aren't doing anything wrong.

    The writers of the installer did not do a very good job on the code.

    Ed

    "eling" wrote in message
    > I downloaded and verfied md5sum XUBUNTU 8.04
    > When I tried to install it on a:
    > Thinkpad T23 512 Mb RAM / P III mobile 1100Mhz
    > The Bar was working for some minutes, and then,
    > without any Error message, there was the command prompt.
    > (there was nothing installed!)
    >
    > What I am doing wrong?
    >
    > Thanks

+ Reply to Thread