New to kubuntu 8.04 - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on New to kubuntu 8.04 - Ubuntu ; Having used SUSE Linux for about 10 years I read so much praise for ubuntu that I wanted to give it a try. I downloaded kubuntu 8.04, created a DVD and tried to install it on a (Toshiba Satellite M100-JG2) ...

  1. New to kubuntu 8.04

    Having used SUSE Linux for about 10 years I read so much
    praise for ubuntu that I wanted to give it a try.
    I downloaded kubuntu 8.04, created a DVD and tried to
    install it on a (Toshiba Satellite M100-JG2) laptop
    reducing Windows to about 30G. The installation went
    without problems. But now I need more software
    and I am stuck with the Adept Installer. When I wish
    to select a program I need to click at least about
    five times before a tick mark appears. Then the screen
    locks up for a few minutes (!) before I can use the
    mouse again (mouse or touchpad -- the result is the same).

    Is my system somehow incompatible with this version
    or can anybody help?

  2. Re: New to kubuntu 8.04

    Hans-Peter KŘnzle wrote:
    > Having used SUSE Linux for about 10 years I read so much
    > praise for ubuntu that I wanted to give it a try.
    > I downloaded kubuntu 8.04, created a DVD and tried to
    > install it on a (Toshiba Satellite M100-JG2) laptop
    > reducing Windows to about 30G. The installation went
    > without problems. But now I need more software
    > and I am stuck with the Adept Installer. When I wish
    > to select a program I need to click at least about
    > five times before a tick mark appears. Then the screen
    > locks up for a few minutes (!) before I can use the
    > mouse again (mouse or touchpad -- the result is the same).
    >
    > Is my system somehow incompatible with this version
    > or can anybody help?

    Either in this group or a.o.l.debian, there is considerable current
    discussion on your very same Toshiba problem.

    You could look back in the message subjects, or possibly wait for
    someone to reply here.

    I searched back and the thread is in this Ubuntu group, with a subject
    of: "Mouse and Keyboard freeze"

    Good luck.

    --
    John

  3. Re: New to kubuntu 8.04

    On Thu, 01 May 2008 02:33:36 +0000, Hans-Peter K├╝nzle wrote:

    > Having used SUSE Linux for about 10 years I read so much
    > praise for ubuntu that I wanted to give it a try.
    > I downloaded kubuntu 8.04, created a DVD and tried to
    > install it on a (Toshiba Satellite M100-JG2) laptop
    > reducing Windows to about 30G. The installation went
    > without problems. But now I need more software
    > and I am stuck with the Adept Installer. When I wish
    > to select a program I need to click at least about
    > five times before a tick mark appears. Then the screen
    > locks up for a few minutes (!) before I can use the
    > mouse again (mouse or touchpad -- the result is the same).
    >
    > Is my system somehow incompatible with this version
    > or can anybody help?

    Use adept_manager and report back.

  4. Re: New to kubuntu 8.04

    Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Thu, 01 May 2008 02:33:36 +0000, Hans-Peter K├╝nzle wrote:
    >
    >> Having used SUSE Linux for about 10 years I read so much
    >> praise for ubuntu that I wanted to give it a try.
    >> I downloaded kubuntu 8.04, created a DVD and tried to
    >> install it on a (Toshiba Satellite M100-JG2) laptop
    >> reducing Windows to about 30G. The installation went
    >> without problems. But now I need more software
    >> and I am stuck with the Adept Installer. When I wish
    >> to select a program I need to click at least about
    >> five times before a tick mark appears. Then the screen
    >> locks up for a few minutes (!) before I can use the
    >> mouse again (mouse or touchpad -- the result is the same).
    >>
    >> Is my system somehow incompatible with this version
    >> or can anybody help?

    > Use adept_manager and report back.

    I tried to do that, but now (after having shutdown the computer
    and then logged in again) my keyboard seems totally disconnected.
    I can do everything I like with the mouse but cannot type
    the password to get into adept_manager!
    Could I have unwittingly hit some inappropriate key before
    shutting down?

  5. Re: New to kubuntu 8.04

    Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Thu, 01 May 2008 02:33:36 +0000, Hans-Peter K├╝nzle wrote:
    >
    >> Having used SUSE Linux for about 10 years I read so much
    >> praise for ubuntu that I wanted to give it a try.
    >> I downloaded kubuntu 8.04, created a DVD and tried to
    >> install it on a (Toshiba Satellite M100-JG2) laptop
    >> reducing Windows to about 30G. The installation went
    >> without problems. But now I need more software
    >> and I am stuck with the Adept Installer. When I wish
    >> to select a program I need to click at least about
    >> five times before a tick mark appears. Then the screen
    >> locks up for a few minutes (!) before I can use the
    >> mouse again (mouse or touchpad -- the result is the same).
    >>
    >> Is my system somehow incompatible with this version
    >> or can anybody help?

    > Use adept_manager and report back.

    Now I am even more confused.

    After shutting down the machine I restarted it again
    and got as far as being able to enter my password. Then again the
    keyboard died.

    In a further attempt I rebooted on a different line in the
    boot menu, the one further down, after MS Windows, on /dev/sda5.
    This gave me access including the keyboard. The customization
    of my main panel in kde was still there, but all the files
    and directories I had installed on my home directory where gone
    as were the programs like firefox, thunderbird, emacs I had
    installed and had been working before.

    Another problem I do not understand:
    As the only user of the system I found that when an Administrator
    password is required by some program it will accept my user password
    (presumably since there is no chance to define a root password during
    the installation), but when I try to su on a command line I get an
    authorization failure.

  6. Re: New to kubuntu 8.04

    On 2008-05-02, Hans-Peter K├╝nzle wrote:

    > Another problem I do not understand:
    > As the only user of the system I found that when an Administrator
    > password is required by some program it will accept my user password
    > (presumably since there is no chance to define a root password during
    > the installation), but when I try to su on a command line I get an
    > authorization failure.

    Ubuntu is a little different than most distros here... The first
    user created is created with sudo rights. When the system asks for an
    "admin" password, it is doing a sudo (or gksudo), and thus just needs
    your user password, since you have rights.

    A su doesn't work, since the root account is not enabled (by default).
    When you enter su, the password it asks for is the root password.
    Your root account does not have a root password set, and therefore, su
    fails.

    To switch to the root account, you can do a couple of different
    things...

    1) sudo -i (then enter your user password). This will change you to
    the root account...

    2) sudo passwd (then enter your user password first, hit enter, and
    then you can enter the new password you want to assign to root.) This
    will enable the root account with that new password. Now you can su -
    , and you'll switch to root.

    Hope that helps...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  7. Re: New to kubuntu 8.04

    Joe wrote:
    > On 2008-05-02, Hans-Peter K├╝nzle wrote:
    >
    >> Another problem I do not understand:
    >> As the only user of the system I found that when an Administrator
    >> password is required by some program it will accept my user password
    >> (presumably since there is no chance to define a root password during
    >> the installation), but when I try to su on a command line I get an
    >> authorization failure.

    > Ubuntu is a little different than most distros here... The first
    > user created is created with sudo rights. When the system asks for an
    > "admin" password, it is doing a sudo (or gksudo), and thus just needs
    > your user password, since you have rights.
    >
    > A su doesn't work, since the root account is not enabled (by default).
    > When you enter su, the password it asks for is the root password.
    > Your root account does not have a root password set, and therefore, su
    > fails.
    >
    > To switch to the root account, you can do a couple of different
    > things...
    >
    > 1) sudo -i (then enter your user password). This will change you to
    > the root account...
    >
    > 2) sudo passwd (then enter your user password first, hit enter, and
    > then you can enter the new password you want to assign to root.) This
    > will enable the root account with that new password. Now you can su -
    > , and you'll switch to root.
    >
    > Hope that helps...

    Yes that helps, thank you!

    Where does one read about such features of (k)ubuntu?

    What are the different boot options for?

    /dev/sda5 seems to get me into rescue mode in which my keyboard
    worked but my home directory files were nowhere to be seen.
    In fail-save mode I also can use the keyboard, but am confined
    to one little xterm window.

    I still need to learn how to reactivate the keyboard in normal
    mode.

+ Reply to Thread