    the File tab. ??

    (IN Kubuntu I don't have that problem)

  2. Re: Midnight Commander

    On 2008-04-30, Henk Oegema wrote:
    > How come that F10-key (Quit) doesn't work in Midnight Commander (mc) in
    > Ubuntu 8.04 ? In stead of what it is suppose to do (Quit MC), it opens
    > the File tab. ??
    >
    > (IN Kubuntu I don't have that problem)

    That's because this key is intercepted by GNOME, probably.

    I found two graphical commanders, Gnome Commander and Krusader, that
    work very well. I use Krusader.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  3. Re: Midnight Commander

    Ignoramus10026 wrote:

    > On 2008-04-30, Henk Oegema wrote:
    >> How come that F10-key (Quit) doesn't work in Midnight Commander (mc) in
    >> Ubuntu 8.04 ? In stead of what it is suppose to do (Quit MC), it opens
    >> the File tab. ??
    >>
    >> (IN Kubuntu I don't have that problem)
    >>

    > That's because this key is intercepted by GNOME, probably.
    >
    > I found two graphical commanders, Gnome Commander and Krusader, that
    > work very well. I use Krusader.

    Ok, I didn't know about Krusader.
    I've installed it now and it works fine.

    Thanks.

  4. Re: Midnight Commander

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 21:13:13 +0200, Henk Oegema wrote:

    > How come that F10-key (Quit) doesn't work in Midnight Commander (mc) in
    > Ubuntu 8.04 ? In stead of what it is suppose to do (Quit MC), it
    > opens the File tab. ??
    >
    > (IN Kubuntu I don't have that problem)

    WAG. It's setup as a hotkey. Remove it.

  5. Re: Midnight Commander

    Wes Newell wrote:

    > On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 21:13:13 +0200, Henk Oegema wrote:
    >
    >> How come that F10-key (Quit) doesn't work in Midnight Commander (mc) in
    >> Ubuntu 8.04 ? In stead of what it is suppose to do (Quit MC), it
    >> opens the File tab. ??
    >>
    >> (IN Kubuntu I don't have that problem)

    > WAG. It's setup as a hotkey. Remove it.

    What do you mean by WAG ?

  6. Re: Midnight Commander

    On Thu, 01 May 2008 00:05:21 +0200, Henk Oegema wrote:

    > What do you mean by WAG ?

    Wag (disambiguation) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia WAG, {Wild Ass
    Guess} In electronic forums;

  7. Re: Midnight Commander

    Henk Oegema wrote:

    > What do you mean by WAG ?

    Use WTF.

    Now I know that probably confuses you too, but let me say that WTF could
    mean "What's That For?" ;-)

    Anyway, you too can have this nice abbreviation definer.

    Go to Synaptec (make sure you have the Universe repositories added) then
    search for wtf and you should be presented with the bsdgames package.
    Download and install this package.

    Now, when you see some unknown abbreviation, open a terminal, enter wtf
    and the abbreviation. You will get the definition if WTF knows it. And
    you can edit its database, adding in your own findings. See man wtf for
    info.

    For more fun, from within a terminal, enter adventure and see how many
    months or years it takes you to become a Grand Master. I've been one
    since 1974. 8-)

    --
    John

  8. Re: Midnight Commander

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 22:26:18 GMT, "John F. Morse"
    wrote:

    >Henk Oegema wrote:
    >
    >> What do you mean by WAG ?
    >>

    >Use WTF.
    >
    >Now I know that probably confuses you too, but let me say that WTF could
    >mean "What's That For?" ;-)
    >
    >Anyway, you too can have this nice abbreviation definer.
    >
    >Go to Synaptec (make sure you have the Universe repositories added) then
    >search for wtf and you should be presented with the bsdgames package.
    >Download and install this package.
    >
    >Now, when you see some unknown abbreviation, open a terminal, enter wtf
    >and the abbreviation. You will get the definition if WTF knows it. And
    >you can edit its database, adding in your own findings. See man wtf for
    >info.
    >
    >For more fun, from within a terminal, enter adventure and see how many
    >months or years it takes you to become a Grand Master. I've been one
    >since 1974. 8-)

    Thank you for that information! I played adventure back in the early
    80's when M$ ported it to the Radio Shack Model I. It took me a
    couple of months but I finally completed it. Interestingly the
    crystal bridge was the last thing I found. I have never found a
    computer game that I enjoyed as much. You can keep all your fancy
    graphics; text games are the best, but they do require an
    imagination.

    Roy Strachan - Registered Linux User 469226

  9. Re: Midnight Commander

    Roy Strachan wrote:
    > On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 22:26:18 GMT, "John F. Morse"
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Henk Oegema wrote:
    >>
    >>> What do you mean by WAG ?
    >>>

    >> Use WTF.
    >>
    >> Now I know that probably confuses you too, but let me say that WTF could
    >> mean "What's That For?" ;-)
    >>
    >> Anyway, you too can have this nice abbreviation definer.
    >>
    >> Go to Synaptec (make sure you have the Universe repositories added) then
    >> search for wtf and you should be presented with the bsdgames package.
    >> Download and install this package.
    >>
    >> Now, when you see some unknown abbreviation, open a terminal, enter wtf
    >> and the abbreviation. You will get the definition if WTF knows it. And
    >> you can edit its database, adding in your own findings. See man wtf for
    >> info.
    >>
    >> For more fun, from within a terminal, enter adventure and see how many
    >> months or years it takes you to become a Grand Master. I've been one
    >> since 1974. 8-)
    >>

    > Thank you for that information! I played adventure back in the early
    > 80's when M$ ported it to the Radio Shack Model I. It took me a
    > couple of months but I finally completed it. Interestingly the
    > crystal bridge was the last thing I found. I have never found a
    > computer game that I enjoyed as much. You can keep all your fancy
    > graphics; text games are the best, but they do require an
    > imagination.
    >
    > Roy Strachan - Registered Linux User 469226

    You are welcome.

    Would you believe I played this game on a Teletype Model 33 ASR for the
    first few weeks? Old yellow paper on a roll.

    Then I moved to a much faster Dataspeed 40/1 at 1200 BPS. It had a CRT,
    but I still ran the printer so I would have a record of moves to use to
    draw my map.

    The games were in FORTRAN, running on a Xerox Sigma 9 mainframe at the
    Bell System Center for Technical Education, in Lisle, Illinois. I was in
    Kansas City, calling long distance in the middle of the night when the
    central office quited down and didn't need me to keep it wound up. The
    call was "free" of course.

    We later received a 5-1/4" floppy for a DEC PDP-11/34 that we used. Then
    the game came out for the Apple ][, so I could play it at home.

    I have never cared for any other game, not even arcade games. My best
    friend owned an amusement company, so I could have played anything I
    wanted for free. Never did.

    I am a speleologist, so I have a lot of experience in cave surveying and
    cave cartography. I actually bought my first computer, the Apple ][, in
    1978 just to crunch survey data because my 50-step TI programmable
    calculator was just too small.

    My map of Colossal Cave was drawn with the same symbols we use for real
    cave maps.

    The only area I could not draw was the "maze of twisty little passages"
    and the other dozen variations of these words. It was represented by a
    3D matrix.

    The map is missing; maybe in a box in the basement, but I bet I could
    still get past the bear and cross the bridge -- providing a nasty little
    elf didn't kill me with an axe or knife!

    Here it is in the online version:

    EN: http://www.ifiction.org/games/play.p...me=1&mode=html

    DE: http://www.ifiction.org/games/play.p...=235&mode=html

    ES: http://www.ifiction.org/games/play.p...=236&mode=html

    --
    John

  10. Re: Midnight Commander

    On Thu, 01 May 2008 02:13:39 GMT, "John F. Morse"
    wrote:

    >Roy Strachan wrote:
    >> On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 22:26:18 GMT, "John F. Morse"
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >> Thank you for that information! I played adventure back in the early
    >> 80's when M$ ported it to the Radio Shack Model I. It took me a
    >> couple of months but I finally completed it. Interestingly the
    >> crystal bridge was the last thing I found. I have never found a
    >> computer game that I enjoyed as much. You can keep all your fancy
    >> graphics; text games are the best, but they do require an
    >> imagination.
    >>
    >> Roy Strachan - Registered Linux User 469226
    >>

    >You are welcome.
    >
    >Would you believe I played this game on a Teletype Model 33 ASR for the
    >first few weeks? Old yellow paper on a roll.

    Brings back memories for me too. At the time I was playing this I ran
    an aircraft refueling station. A friend and I were playing this one
    night while waiting for the last plane. When the plane was announced
    late we decided to go to the terminal for coffee. Of course the
    coffee shop was full with people waiting for the delayed plane. My
    friend and I started talking about trolls, pirates, treasures and
    nasty little weapons just as though we were in our right minds. I
    guess we must have been quite animated in this because the restaraunt
    became quiet and we realized everyone in the place was staring at us
    like we belonged in a zoo or something.

    >My map of Colossal Cave was drawn with the same symbols we use for real
    >cave maps.

    My map wasn't as fancy, by the time I got through it looked more like
    "the maze of twisty little passages" )

    >The only area I could not draw was the "maze of twisty little passages"
    >and the other dozen variations of these words. It was represented by a
    >3D matrix.

    I just used directions, I think 1 maze was down, down, left and the
    other was up, up, right to get out.

    >The map is missing; maybe in a box in the basement, but I bet I could
    >still get past the bear and cross the bridge -- providing a nasty little
    >elf didn't kill me with an axe or knife!

    I think I still have mine put away safely somewhere too.

    >Here it is in the online version:
    >
    >EN: http://www.ifiction.org/games/play.p...me=1&mode=html
    >
    >DE: http://www.ifiction.org/games/play.p...=235&mode=html
    >
    >ES: http://www.ifiction.org/games/play.p...=236&mode=html

    Roy Strachan - Registered Linux User 469226

  11. Re: Midnight Commander

    Roy Strachan wrote:

    > Brings back memories for me too. At the time I was playing this I ran
    > an aircraft refueling station. A friend and I were playing this one
    > night while waiting for the last plane. When the plane was announced
    > late we decided to go to the terminal for coffee. Of course the
    > coffee shop was full with people waiting for the delayed plane. My
    > friend and I started talking about trolls, pirates, treasures and
    > nasty little weapons just as though we were in our right minds. I
    > guess we must have been quite animated in this because the restaraunt
    > became quiet and we realized everyone in the place was staring at us
    > like we belonged in a zoo or something.

    That would have been fun to witness! ;-)

    >> Here it is in the online version:
    >>
    >> EN: http://www.ifiction.org/games/play.p...me=1&mode=html
    >>
    >> DE: http://www.ifiction.org/games/play.p...=235&mode=html
    >>
    >> ES: http://www.ifiction.org/games/play.p...=236&mode=html

    Those links came from this page, which has other interesting info and
    many download links:

    http://www.wurb.com/if/game/1

    --
    John

  12. Re: Midnight Commander

    Henk Oegema wrote:
    > How come that F10-key (Quit) doesn't work in Midnight Commander (mc) in
    > Ubuntu 8.04 ? In stead of what it is suppose to do (Quit MC), it opens
    > the File tab. ??
    >
    > (IN Kubuntu I don't have that problem)

    Because the GNOME Terminal intercepts the F10 keypress and uses it to
    activate its own menu. You can avoid that by hiding the menu bar (all
    of its functions are available in a context menu anyway, by
    right-clicking within the GNOME Terminal window).

    To hide the menu bar in GNOME Terminal, click Edit=>Current
    Profile...=>General, and un-check the checkbox next to “Show menubar by
    default in new terminals.”

    You can also go to Edit=>Keyboard Shortcuts and check the boxes for the
    following options:

    * Disable all menu access keys (such as Alt+F to open File menu)
    * Disable menu shortcut key (F10 by default)

    You might also want to change the F1 help key in this screen, as well,
    so that you can press F1 and have it passed to the terminal you are
    working with.

    Another nifty little trick that you can use when you’re on someone
    else’s machine: Use and the number on the top row that is closest
    to the F-key you want. You can do this for F1 through F10--- 0,
    for example, is treated as F10 in Midnight Commander.

    --- Mike

  13. Re: Midnight Commander

    On Thu, 01 May 2008 03:22:12 GMT, "John F. Morse"
    wrote:

    >Roy Strachan wrote:
    >
    >> Brings back memories for me too. At the time I was playing this I ran
    >> an aircraft refueling station. A friend and I were playing this one
    >> night while waiting for the last plane. When the plane was announced
    >> late we decided to go to the terminal for coffee. Of course the
    >> coffee shop was full with people waiting for the delayed plane. My
    >> friend and I started talking about trolls, pirates, treasures and
    >> nasty little weapons just as though we were in our right minds. I
    >> guess we must have been quite animated in this because the restaraunt
    >> became quiet and we realized everyone in the place was staring at us
    >> like we belonged in a zoo or something.

    >That would have been fun to witness! ;-)

    It was definitely interesting to be part of.

    >>> Here it is in the online version:
    >>>
    >>> EN: http://www.ifiction.org/games/play.p...me=1&mode=html
    >>>
    >>> DE: http://www.ifiction.org/games/play.p...=235&mode=html
    >>>
    >>> ES: http://www.ifiction.org/games/play.p...=236&mode=html

    >Those links came from this page, which has other interesting info and
    >many download links:
    >
    >http://www.wurb.com/if/game/1

    Thanks. Already have 1 new convert! More coming. )

    Roy Strachan - Registered Linux User 469226

  14. Re: Midnight Commander

    Henk Oegema wrote:
    > How come that F10-key (Quit) doesn't work in Midnight Commander (mc) in
    > Ubuntu 8.04 ? In stead of what it is suppose to do (Quit MC), it opens
    > the File tab. ??
    >
    > (IN Kubuntu I don't have that problem)

    You can easily disable the F10 key interception of GNOME in the GNOME
    Terminal settings...

    Axel

+ Reply to Thread