GF FX 5500 nVidia - Resolution Limitation on CRT-0 - Ubuntu 8.04LTS - i386 - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on GF FX 5500 nVidia - Resolution Limitation on CRT-0 - Ubuntu 8.04LTS - i386 - Ubuntu ; Hi All, This is my first post in here. I am an Ex-Windows chap. I have in the past 'tested' various Linux OS's, I use the term loosely, I installed them and if they worked I usually grew to hate ...

  1. GF FX 5500 nVidia - Resolution Limitation on CRT-0 - Ubuntu 8.04LTS - i386

    Hi All,
    This is my first post in here. I am an Ex-Windows chap. I have in the
    past 'tested' various Linux OS's, I use the term loosely, I installed them
    and if they worked I usually grew to hate them in a few weeks for the
    difficulties they presented too me (perhaps these are due to my own
    limitations), and thus they were removed and reversion to Win occurred
    Post-Haste. Prior to that I was a Mac man for some years, and before that
    C64, before that I was 8 so I don't know...

    At any rate now I have the introduction over with on to the meat of why I am
    posting here. I am at that point where it is going in the bin again and
    Windows is going back on. I have been fart assing around for days trying to
    get my video card installed. I finally got my head around what I had to do
    and it worked. This has now presented another issue, I connect this
    particular machine direct to my NEC Widescreen, via the VGA D-Sub inputs,
    when I do this the screen res is only 640x480. Now if I connect via the RCA
    jack then the res goes up and the quality goes to poo, which is normal I
    think.

    What I am asking is does the video card receive some sort of info from the
    TV telling it what res to use. I have been piss farting around various
    modelines and have restored my xconf file more times than I can remember.

    Now if it is transmitting some crap telling my card to run low, how can I
    override it? It worked fine at all sorts of crazy resolutions in Windows.

    Many thanks for any forthcoming advice.

    Richard.

  2. Re: GF FX 5500 nVidia - Resolution Limitation on CRT-0 - Ubuntu 8.04LTS - i386

    Richard Lane-Williams wrote:
    > Hi All,
    > This is my first post in here. I am an Ex-Windows chap. I have in the
    > past 'tested' various Linux OS's, I use the term loosely, I installed them
    > and if they worked I usually grew to hate them in a few weeks for the
    > difficulties they presented too me (perhaps these are due to my own
    > limitations), and thus they were removed and reversion to Win occurred
    > Post-Haste. Prior to that I was a Mac man for some years, and before that
    > C64, before that I was 8 so I don't know...
    >
    > At any rate now I have the introduction over with on to the meat of why I am
    > posting here. I am at that point where it is going in the bin again and
    > Windows is going back on. I have been fart assing around for days trying to
    > get my video card installed. I finally got my head around what I had to do
    > and it worked. This has now presented another issue, I connect this
    > particular machine direct to my NEC Widescreen, via the VGA D-Sub inputs,
    > when I do this the screen res is only 640x480. Now if I connect via the RCA
    > jack then the res goes up and the quality goes to poo, which is normal I
    > think.
    >
    > What I am asking is does the video card receive some sort of info from the
    > TV telling it what res to use. I have been piss farting around various
    > modelines and have restored my xconf file more times than I can remember.
    >
    > Now if it is transmitting some crap telling my card to run low, how can I
    > override it? It worked fine at all sorts of crazy resolutions in Windows.
    >
    > Many thanks for any forthcoming advice.

    Post the contents of your xorg.conf file.

    --
    Mark Warner
    ....lose .inhibitions when replying

+ Reply to Thread