Brand new user - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Brand new user - Ubuntu ; I've just installed 8.04 on my desktop, to rave reviews from family. It found all my hardware, no problem. Made me brave enough to attempt an install on my laptop, same success until my wireless card, an ENPWI-G2 Encore. No ...

  1. Brand new user

    I've just installed 8.04 on my desktop, to rave reviews from family. It
    found all my hardware, no problem.

    Made me brave enough to attempt an install on my laptop, same success
    until my wireless card, an ENPWI-G2 Encore. No go, so I went to the
    website, downloaded the Linux drivers, and got lost from there. Didn't
    know what to do with the tarball, but figured that out.

    My question is, is there a GUI way to install these drivers and make
    my wireless card work?

  2. Re: Brand new user

    Airman Thunderbird wrote:
    > I've just installed 8.04 on my desktop, to rave reviews from family.
    > It found all my hardware, no problem.
    >
    > Made me brave enough to attempt an install on my laptop, same success
    > until my wireless card, an ENPWI-G2 Encore. No go, so I went to the
    > website, downloaded the Linux drivers, and got lost from there. Didn't
    > know what to do with the tarball, but figured that out.
    >
    > My question is, is there a GUI way to install these drivers and make
    > my wireless card work?

    According to what I'm reading, you need to use ndiswrapper which can all
    be done graphically.

    The graphic way is to use synaptic and search for ndisgtk and then
    install it. That will give you a graphical way of handling the
    ndiswrapper functions. the enpwi-g2 encore is a net8185 chipset.

    When the ndisgtk is installed, you will have access to a function called
    'wireless network drivers' (I can't remember whether it is in admin or
    preferences) and that can be used to point to the windows .inf file for
    the drivers.

    Here's some results from searching on enpwi-g2 ubuntu
    http://snipurl.com/26e7o and the top hit is
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=623963 Installing ENPWI-G2
    802.11g Wireless PCMCIA Adapter on Ubuntu.

    --
    Mike Easter

+ Reply to Thread