sudo does not seem to work - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on sudo does not seem to work - Ubuntu ; This is a new one for me. I was trying to manually install flashplayer to work with Firefox 3 beta 5. Sudo worked fine in letting me do this. Then, all of a sudden, sudo no longer works. When I ...

  1. sudo does not seem to work

    This is a new one for me. I was trying to manually install flashplayer
    to work with Firefox 3 beta 5. Sudo worked fine in letting me do this.
    Then, all of a sudden, sudo no longer works. When I type sudo
    I get my own prompt and then a list of sudo commands.

    Any ideas?

  2. Re: sudo does not seem to work

    On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 13:13:52 +0000, franz fripplfrappl wrote:

    > This is a new one for me. I was trying to manually install flashplayer
    > to work with Firefox 3 beta 5. Sudo worked fine in letting me do this.
    > Then, all of a sudden, sudo no longer works. When I type sudo
    > I get my own prompt and then a list of sudo commands.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    open a terminal, type
    man sudo

    Reading this may help you solve this. I suspect there is an issue
    authenticating you as a privileged user.
    First thing to try is log out and back in again.

    --
    take advice at your own risk... I'm relatively clueless.

  3. Re: sudo does not seem to work

    On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 13:13:52 +0000, franz fripplfrappl wrote:

    > This is a new one for me. I was trying to manually install flashplayer
    > to work with Firefox 3 beta 5. Sudo worked fine in letting me do this.
    > Then, all of a sudden, sudo no longer works. When I type sudo
    > I get my own prompt and then a list of sudo commands.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    make sure you are a member of groups "admin" and "adm"

    --
    MarkA
    (This space temporarily unavailable)

  4. Re: sudo does not seem to work

    On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 13:13:52 +0000, franz fripplfrappl wrote:

    > This is a new one for me. I was trying to manually install flashplayer
    > to work with Firefox 3 beta 5. Sudo worked fine in letting me do this.
    > Then, all of a sudden, sudo no longer works. When I type sudo
    > I get my own prompt and then a list of sudo commands.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Franz - don't know if this is relevant, but sudo has just been updated.

  5. Re: sudo does not seem to work

    On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 13:13:52 +0000, franz fripplfrappl wrote:

    > This is a new one for me. I was trying to manually install flashplayer
    > to work with Firefox 3 beta 5. Sudo worked fine in letting me do this.

    I did something like this and now sudo gives the error:

    sudo: unable to resolve host Ubuntu

    I tried to DL a new Ubuntu Desktop image to "fix" the installed system by
    burning a new CD but the DL only gave me the Live version when I burned
    it.

    Another wasted day on Ubuntu

    Bookgrampy

  6. Re: sudo does not seem to work

    On Sat, 03 May 2008 02:13:32 +0000, I was intrigued when Dick Mc posted
    the following:

    > On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 13:13:52 +0000, franz fripplfrappl wrote:
    >
    >> This is a new one for me. I was trying to manually install flashplayer
    >> to work with Firefox 3 beta 5. Sudo worked fine in letting me do this.

    > I did something like this and now sudo gives the error:
    >
    > sudo: unable to resolve host Ubuntu
    >
    > I tried to DL a new Ubuntu Desktop image to "fix" the installed system
    > by burning a new CD but the DL only gave me the Live version when I
    > burned it.
    >
    > Another wasted day on Ubuntu
    >
    > Bookgrampy

    You can always use su for root privileges. As for your
    comment..."Another wasted day on Ubuntu", I am one of those people who
    believes that, if your heart is truly into learning, then even a bad day
    is not wasted. Sooner or later you'll come across someone who will
    experience exactly what you went through and you will be able to
    sympathize and assist. Take care.

    --
    Just Me, D

+ Reply to Thread