MythTV question - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on MythTV question - Ubuntu ; OhioGuy wrote: > I've heard that MythTV works well in Linux. I've got a friend that is in > the market for a new TV Tuner card, and was wondering if anyone could > suggest: > 1) Linux version that ...

  1. Re: MythTV question

    OhioGuy wrote:

    > I've heard that MythTV works well in Linux. I've got a friend that is in
    > the market for a new TV Tuner card, and was wondering if anyone could
    > suggest:

    > 1) Linux version that would be appropriate for a complete Newbie - I.E.
    > would work out of the box, without a person having to know anything
    > technical

    Older Hauppage WinTV-Nova cards work out of the box with many distros
    (PCI, PCMCIA and USB). Newer ones require a compile of the latest DVB
    kernel drivers and the correct firmware file. It's easy to do, and I
    can give you easy to follow instructions.

    > 2) TV tuner card that would almost be guaranteed to work with MythTV in
    > Linux (digital cable/ATSC compatibility is a big plus)

    MythTV isn't all that easy to configure for a newbie. Also, it only
    runs full screen. Kaffeine is a much better program, imo. It's easy to
    set up and use and can run windowed.

    > (p.s. - I'm a newbie as well, so I'd prefer a distribution that can be
    > installed and is complete - without additional programs & such that need to
    > be installed)

    Well, Ubuntu is pretty simple to install and has an excellent package
    manager, so installation of extra programs is incredibly easy.

  2. MythTV question

    I've heard that MythTV works well in Linux. I've got a friend that is in
    the market for a new TV Tuner card, and was wondering if anyone could
    suggest:

    1) Linux version that would be appropriate for a complete Newbie - I.E.
    would work out of the box, without a person having to know anything
    technical

    2) TV tuner card that would almost be guaranteed to work with MythTV in
    Linux (digital cable/ATSC compatibility is a big plus)

    The person in question uses his PC to record and watch TV for probably 90%
    of his use. If there is a simple way to set up an extra hard drive to dual
    boot, this might just be the way to convince him to switch over to Linux.

    Thanks!

    (p.s. - I'm a newbie as well, so I'd prefer a distribution that can be
    installed and is complete - without additional programs & such that need to
    be installed)

  3. Re: MythTV question

    On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 07:37:36 -0500, OhioGuy wrote:

    > I've heard that MythTV works well in Linux. I've got a friend that is
    > in the market for a new TV Tuner card, and was wondering if anyone could
    > suggest:
    >
    > 1) Linux version that would be appropriate for a complete Newbie - I.E.
    > would work out of the box, without a person having to know anything
    > technical
    >
    > 2) TV tuner card that would almost be guaranteed to work with MythTV in
    > Linux (digital cable/ATSC compatibility is a big plus)
    >
    > The person in question uses his PC to record and watch TV for probably
    > 90%
    > of his use. If there is a simple way to set up an extra hard drive to
    > dual boot, this might just be the way to convince him to switch over to
    > Linux.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > (p.s. - I'm a newbie as well, so I'd prefer a distribution that can be
    > installed and is complete - without additional programs & such that need
    > to be installed)

    Check out www.mythbuntu.org - it's a really neat distro which sounds well
    suited for your friends needs. It's build to offer what you want.
    Indeed, if you just need a 'frontend' this distro can even run as a live
    CD (ie. no Hard-drive install whatsoever).

    However, I don't think there is any getting away from the fact that
    setting up a home server of any type (myth-backend included) is a non-
    trivial exercise.
    You are, however, asking the right questions... get the right hardware
    will help (and hauppage tv cards generally well supported).
    Can advise specifically about tuners though, because I don't live in the
    US.

    But here's a few pointers based on my experience.
    1. plan for 2 TV cards.
    2. do get a 2nd hard-drive, I suggest an internal 500GB if you can
    stretch to it. Don't boot from it.... use it solely for your media files.
    Format it as XFS, which is the quickest for handling/deleting large files.
    3. Dual booting a server is feasible.. indeed mine can boot into
    windows.. but I probably never, ever will do so.
    4. have decent video cards on your frontends.
    5. Frontends should be quiet in operation (i.e. no big fans).

    good luck.

    Neil.

  4. Re: MythTV question

    look at www.mythbuntu.org

  5. Re: MythTV question

    Does it work for anything other than regular old style TV tuner input?
    (which is rapidly becoming obsolete)

    My home TV uses digital satellites and high definition inputs.

    I bought a Hauppauge card that supposedly was supported and has
    compatible inputs, but all my attempts to install MythTV did not work
    out, it was a bunch of ugly screens and senseless error messages.

    (yes, I got the database stuff to work fine, but the inputs would
    never work).

    I finally gave up after a week of messing around and uninstalled
    everything.

  6. Re: MythTV question

    On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 14:36:37 -0500, Ignoramus29893 wrote:

    > Does it work for anything other than regular old style TV tuner input?
    > (which is rapidly becoming obsolete)
    >
    > My home TV uses digital satellites and high definition inputs.

    MythTV is on every display in my house. That's included monitors, HDTV's
    and old analog TV's. Works good on all of them using either VGA, HDMI, or
    S-video inputs.

    > I bought a Hauppauge card that supposedly was supported and has
    > compatible inputs, but all my attempts to install MythTV did not work
    > out, it was a bunch of ugly screens and senseless error messages.

    What Hauppauge card? What source are you trying to use? Antenna, something
    else?

    > (yes, I got the database stuff to work fine, but the inputs would never
    > work).

    Inputs to the card or TV?

    > I finally gave up after a week of messing around and uninstalled
    > everything.

    Try using Mythbuntu or one of the other MythTV distros like Mythdora or
    Knoppmyth. If you can't get one of them installed, email your phone number
    with a time to call and I'll help. Shouldn't take more than 2 hours even
    over the phone. I've installed all of the above plus compiled from
    source. None of it is real hard if you have the right hardware.

  7. Re: MythTV question

    Ignoramus29893 wrote:

    > Does it work for anything other than regular old style TV tuner input?
    > (which is rapidly becoming obsolete)

    > My home TV uses digital satellites and high definition inputs.

    > I bought a Hauppauge card that supposedly was supported and has
    > compatible inputs, but all my attempts to install MythTV did not work
    > out, it was a bunch of ugly screens and senseless error messages.

    Get Kaffeine. If your card has the right module and firmware, it works
    without any hassle. I just installed a WinTV Nova-T digital USB stick
    recently and it works perfectly. I'm lucky enough to get good reception
    with the tiny travel area included with the stick.

    > (yes, I got the database stuff to work fine, but the inputs would
    > never work).

    > I finally gave up after a week of messing around and uninstalled
    > everything.

    If you want to try it again, it's worth doing so with Kaffeine. I
    didn't have to do any setup at all with Kaffeine, unlike with MythTV.
    The only time I spent was getting the card to register with the kernel,
    and that was a two-minute job once I found the right driver and firmware.

  8. Re: MythTV question

    On 2008-04-29, White Spirit wrote:
    > Ignoramus29893 wrote:
    >
    >> Does it work for anything other than regular old style TV tuner input?
    >> (which is rapidly becoming obsolete)

    >> My home TV uses digital satellites and high definition inputs.

    >> I bought a Hauppauge card that supposedly was supported and has
    >> compatible inputs, but all my attempts to install MythTV did not work
    >> out, it was a bunch of ugly screens and senseless error messages.

    > Get Kaffeine. If your card has the right module and firmware, it works
    > without any hassle. I just installed a WinTV Nova-T digital USB stick
    > recently and it works perfectly. I'm lucky enough to get good reception
    > with the tiny travel area included with the stick.

    Does it record movies?

    If not, I would say it is not a big deal.

    I will give it a try.

    >> (yes, I got the database stuff to work fine, but the inputs would
    >> never work).

    >> I finally gave up after a week of messing around and uninstalled
    >> everything.

    > If you want to try it again, it's worth doing so with Kaffeine. I
    > didn't have to do any setup at all with Kaffeine, unlike with MythTV.
    > The only time I spent was getting the card to register with the kernel,
    > and that was a two-minute job once I found the right driver and firmware.

    OK. Sounds good. I think that I will upgrade that box to Hardy and
    then will install Kaffeine. Thanks

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  9. Re: MythTV question

    Ignoramus10026 wrote:

    > On 2008-04-29, White Spirit wrote:

    >> Get Kaffeine. If your card has the right module and firmware, it works
    >> without any hassle. I just installed a WinTV Nova-T digital USB stick
    >> recently and it works perfectly. I'm lucky enough to get good reception
    >> with the tiny travel area included with the stick.

    > Does it record movies?

    > If not, I would say it is not a big deal.

    You can record with it. I haven't used the facility yet. I think you
    can also do something like cat /dev/dvb > file.mpg to record as well.

    >> If you want to try it again, it's worth doing so with Kaffeine. I
    >> didn't have to do any setup at all with Kaffeine, unlike with MythTV.
    >> The only time I spent was getting the card to register with the kernel,
    >> and that was a two-minute job once I found the right driver and firmware.

    > OK. Sounds good. I think that I will upgrade that box to Hardy and
    > then will install Kaffeine. Thanks

    The things I like about Kaffeine over MythTV are:

    Better interface
    No setup needed - just put in your location and scan for channels
    Works in windowed mode and full screen
    Filters for TV channels, radio stations and encrypted channels
    Controllable by mouse and remote control (compatibility of remote
    controls will vary)

  10. Re: MythTV question

    White Spirit wrote:
    > OhioGuy wrote:
    >
    >> I've heard that MythTV works well in Linux. I've got a friend that
    >> is in the market for a new TV Tuner card, and was wondering if anyone
    >> could suggest:

    >> 1) Linux version that would be appropriate for a complete Newbie -
    >> I.E. would work out of the box, without a person having to know
    >> anything technical

    > Older Hauppage WinTV-Nova cards work out of the box with many distros
    > (PCI, PCMCIA and USB). Newer ones require a compile of the latest DVB
    > kernel drivers and the correct firmware file. It's easy to do, and I
    > can give you easy to follow instructions.
    >
    >> 2) TV tuner card that would almost be guaranteed to work with MythTV
    >> in Linux (digital cable/ATSC compatibility is a big plus)

    > MythTV isn't all that easy to configure for a newbie. Also, it only
    > runs full screen. Kaffeine is a much better program, imo. It's easy to
    > set up and use and can run windowed.
    >
    >> (p.s. - I'm a newbie as well, so I'd prefer a distribution that can be
    >> installed and is complete - without additional programs & such that
    >> need to be installed)

    > Well, Ubuntu is pretty simple to install and has an excellent package
    > manager, so installation of extra programs is incredibly easy.

    I have a Nova T 500 twin tuner running fine on Mythbuntu 8.04 without
    any extra work apart from following the instructions with regard to
    timeout settings.

  11. Re: MythTV question

    On 2008-04-30, limestone-cowboy wrote:
    > White Spirit wrote:
    >> OhioGuy wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've heard that MythTV works well in Linux. I've got a friend that
    >>> is in the market for a new TV Tuner card, and was wondering if anyone
    >>> could suggest:

    >>> 1) Linux version that would be appropriate for a complete Newbie -
    >>> I.E. would work out of the box, without a person having to know
    >>> anything technical

    >> Older Hauppage WinTV-Nova cards work out of the box with many distros
    >> (PCI, PCMCIA and USB). Newer ones require a compile of the latest DVB
    >> kernel drivers and the correct firmware file. It's easy to do, and I
    >> can give you easy to follow instructions.
    >>
    >>> 2) TV tuner card that would almost be guaranteed to work with MythTV
    >>> in Linux (digital cable/ATSC compatibility is a big plus)

    >> MythTV isn't all that easy to configure for a newbie. Also, it only
    >> runs full screen. Kaffeine is a much better program, imo. It's easy to
    >> set up and use and can run windowed.
    >>
    >>> (p.s. - I'm a newbie as well, so I'd prefer a distribution that can be
    >>> installed and is complete - without additional programs & such that
    >>> need to be installed)

    >> Well, Ubuntu is pretty simple to install and has an excellent package
    >> manager, so installation of extra programs is incredibly easy.

    > I have a Nova T 500 twin tuner running fine on Mythbuntu 8.04 without
    > any extra work apart from following the instructions with regard to
    > timeout settings.

    Is it a regular TV tuner?

    Do you know anyone who managed to get composite input work? (like for
    satellite)

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  12. Re: MythTV question

    Ignoramus10026 wrote:

    > Do you know anyone who managed to get composite input work? (like for
    > satellite)

    I have an analogue one that I used to use with a composite input. The
    best analogue TV program I've used is tvtime.

  13. Re: MythTV question

    On 2008-04-29, OhioGuy wrote:
    > I've heard that MythTV works well in Linux. I've got a friend that is in
    > the market for a new TV Tuner card, and was wondering if anyone could
    > suggest:
    >
    > 1) Linux version that would be appropriate for a complete Newbie - I.E.
    > would work out of the box, without a person having to know anything
    > technical

    MythBuntu or KnoppMyth

    http://mythic.tv/product_info.php?products_id=75

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  14. Re: MythTV question

    On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 07:37:36 -0500, OhioGuy wrote:

    > I've heard that MythTV works well in Linux. I've got a friend that is
    > in the market for a new TV Tuner card, and was wondering if anyone could
    > suggest:
    >
    > 1) Linux version that would be appropriate for a complete Newbie - I.E.
    > would work out of the box, without a person having to know anything
    > technical
    >
    > 2) TV tuner card that would almost be guaranteed to work with MythTV in
    > Linux (digital cable/ATSC compatibility is a big plus)
    >
    > The person in question uses his PC to record and watch TV for probably
    > 90%
    > of his use. If there is a simple way to set up an extra hard drive to
    > dual boot, this might just be the way to convince him to switch over to
    > Linux.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > (p.s. - I'm a newbie as well, so I'd prefer a distribution that can be
    > installed and is complete - without additional programs & such that need
    > to be installed)

    You can get a complete list including features supported at the MythTV
    site:

    http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Video_capture_card

+ Reply to Thread