Vid files - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Vid files - Ubuntu ; Anyone tell me which format a dvd should be to play on a normal vid player...I have xvid.avi which play ok on the computer but not when burned to a dvd and tried on the home vidplayer (new Panasonic) -- ...

  1. Vid files

    --
    Regards
    Ted Wager g3tpi

  2. Re: Vid files

    twager wrote:
    > Anyone tell me which format a dvd should be to play on a normal vid
    > player...I have xvid.avi which play ok on the computer but not when
    > burned to a dvd and tried on the home vidplayer (new Panasonic)

    You need VOBs and IFOs and such.
    I use dvdauthor and growisofs for the job.

    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)

  3. Re: Vid files

    "Josef Moellers" wrote in message
    > twager wrote:
    >> Anyone tell me which format a dvd should be to play on a normal vid
    >> player...I have xvid.avi which play ok on the computer but not when
    >> burned to a dvd and tried on the home vidplayer (new Panasonic)

    > You need VOBs and IFOs and such.
    > I use dvdauthor and growisofs for the job.

    Josef is correct in that standard DVD disks encode (using MPEG2) to VOB and
    IFO files. But as you have xvid files already which are compressed much more
    than MPEG2 usually then you might want to try DivX which will allow you to
    have much longer record times per disk.

    Of course all DVD players play back DVD files (so that's a safe bet) but
    many of them also playback other file types such as MPEG4 and DixV. Most of
    the latest Pana ones do.
    However I believe that whereas Xvid is open source DivX is proprietary.

    Best is to look in your player's manual and find out what it can do then
    find an appropriate programme.
    HTH
    Dave

  4. Re: Vid files

    twager wrote in

    > Anyone tell me which format a dvd should be to play on a normal vid
    > player...I have xvid.avi which play ok on the computer but not when
    > burned to a dvd and tried on the home vidplayer (new Panasonic)

    Everything (and more) you ever wanted to know about DVD's...

    http://www.doom9.org/

  5. Re: Vid files

    twager wrote:

    > Anyone tell me which format a dvd should be to play on a normal vid
    > player...I have xvid.avi which play ok on the computer but not when
    > burned to a dvd and tried on the home vidplayer (new Panasonic)

    If your player doesn't support DivX files (xvid is compatible with DivX)
    then you'll have to author a DVD using the xvid file. I use devede for
    the job as it is quick and easy to use, but there are other DVD
    authoring tools that have many more options, such as the ability to
    create animated menus etc.

+ Reply to Thread