Re: Article - Guess What? Fox News is Responsive to the LinuxCommunity. - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: Article - Guess What? Fox News is Responsive to the LinuxCommunity. - Ubuntu ; On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 18:45:41 -0500 ERACC wrote: > (Followup-to is set to comp.os.linux.misc) > > Apparently many folks that read my previous web log post about Fox News Video > went ahead and contacted Fox News. We got ...

  1. Re: Article - Guess What? Fox News is Responsive to the LinuxCommunity.

    ERACC wrote:

    > (Followup-to is set to comp.os.linux.misc)
    >
    > Apparently many folks that read my previous web log post about Fox News Video
    > went ahead and contacted Fox News. We got their attention:
    >
    > http://blog.eracc.com/2008/04/28/gue...nux-community/

    Breaking my own Followup-to here. I know some of you will be be peeved at
    that, oh well. :P

    Anyway, this article will be of particular interest to Ubuntu users. Both Fox
    News and Fox Business use Ubuntu. Read the article to see what I mean.

    Gene (e-mail: gene \a\t eracc \d\o\t com)
    Got Rute? http://www.anrdoezrs.net/email-25465...sbn=0130333514
    ERA Computers & Consulting - http://www.eracc.com/
    Preloaded PCs - eComStation, Linux, FreeBSD, OpenServer & UnixWare

  2. Re: Article - Guess What? Fox News is Responsive to the LinuxCommunity.

    On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 10:24:57 -0500, ERACC wrote:

    > Corporate entities have no feelings. So Fox News and MSNBC cannot "get
    > along" either. Now the *people* in those corporations do have feelings
    > so, yeah, there may be a wee bit of animosity there.

    Yeah, but the ceo's probably have lunch together.

  3. Re: Article - Guess What? Fox News is Responsive to the Linux Community.

    jellybean stonerfish wrote:
    > On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 10:24:57 -0500, ERACC wrote:
    >
    >> Corporate entities have no feelings. So Fox News and MSNBC cannot "get
    >> along" either. Now the *people* in those corporations do have feelings
    >> so, yeah, there may be a wee bit of animosity there.

    > Yeah, but the ceo's probably have lunch together.

    Along with Bill Gates, of course.
    Fox is so Republican I can't stand to watch it and MSnbc is, well, the
    'MS' should explain that part.
    Question??? I have never heard 'Linux' of any kind mentioned on any
    national news network, but I have heard way too much about IBM blades
    and M$ latest abortion, and of course those cheesy MAC ads.
    Where for art Linux?

    Bill Baka

  4. Re: Article - Guess What? Fox News is Responsive to the LinuxCommunity.

    On Fri, 02 May 2008 12:10:39 -0700, I was intrigued when Bill Baka posted
    the following:

    > Joe wrote:

    >> (snipped)
    >>

    > You just hit it, the vendors, and they seem happy to miss that 10% or
    > whatever the Linux community amounts to. I prefer the free and open GPL
    > ideology too, as the Linux community could amount to millions of
    > developers working on the project a few hours a day after their 'day'
    > job.
    > Where Linux is ready for the mainstream and is being used quite a lot is
    > in embedded development. I have noticed a lot of products that use Linux
    > instead of Windows CE for their non-GUI applications. On the desktop
    > side of things, I have found Ubuntu to be the most user friendly that I
    > have tried so far.
    > Here's my score;
    > Ubuntu. No major problems yet, but I don't game.
    >
    > Open Solaris 10. Big, 4 CD's or 1 DVD to install. Device recognition
    > falls far short of Ubuntu and refuses to see my network card, a 3Com
    > 3CR990 server 10/100, but 90's vintage PCI. That may be a make or break
    > factor since nobody wants to be 'non-internet' capable.
    >
    > Mandrake/Mandriva. Pretty interface, but I broke it before I could play
    > with it.
    >
    > Debian. Good so far, but up to a 4 CD install.
    >
    > Xandros, Linspire, and Turbolinux all want $$$ for their stuff.
    >
    > So far it looks like Ubuntu may be the way to go for Joe average. Add in
    > WINE and/or maybe a virtual host like Xen or VMware and it may all play
    > together.
    >
    > And, yes, I am posting from XP, since I have the Solaris installed until
    > I figure out the network problem, then I'm off to play with
    > Mandrake/Mandriva some more.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Bill Baka

    Mr. Baka, your response to the OP post was very well written and made
    very good sense IMO. Anyway, I would also add PCLinuxOS, specifically
    2008 Gnome, along with Ubuntu as being the way to go for, as you put it,
    Joe Average. Take care.

    --
    Just Me, D

  5. Re: Article - Guess What? Fox News is Responsive to the LinuxCommunity.

    On 2008-05-03, Bill Baka wrote:
    > Joe wrote:
    >> On 2008-05-03, Bill Baka wrote:
    >>
    >>> No contest, but the gamer is mis-using his/her computer. Buy a
    >>> playstation for games and a computer for serious stuff.
    >>> I know, it isn't going that way, but...we can hope.

    >> I think gaming is a perfectly valid use for PC's.

    > It doesn't broaden your mind enough.

    Not all of life is about broadening your mind. Mindless activities
    serve a purpose...

    > It isn't my main
    >> use, but gaming has been a big part of the reason for much of the
    >> progress in PC's, much like Porn is a major driving force behind the
    >> internet...

    > I have to agree since one of my friends is a 55 year old kid who streams
    > down porn all night and part of the day. Trust me, he is heterosexual,
    > but downloading that stuff is a fair part of the problem.

    What problem? To each thier own.

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

+ Reply to Thread