kernel question? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on kernel question? - Ubuntu ; I just installed Ubuntu. I have used debian and compile my kernels. The latest kernel is 2.6.24.5 and when I run uname -a in ubuntu, I get 2.6.24.16 Can u explain this? Also, can I still compile my own kernels? ...

  1. kernel question?

    I just installed Ubuntu. I have used debian and compile my kernels.
    The latest kernel is 2.6.24.5 and when I run
    uname -a
    in ubuntu, I get 2.6.24.16
    Can u explain this?

    Also, can I still compile my own kernels?

    Thanks

  2. Re: kernel question?

    Jim Woodward schreef:
    > I just installed Ubuntu. I have used debian and compile my kernels.
    > The latest kernel is 2.6.24.5 and when I run uname -a
    > in ubuntu, I get 2.6.24.16
    > Can u explain this?
    >
    > Also, can I still compile my own kernels?
    >
    > Thanks

    Last night I installed Kubuntu 8.04 Mixer and it has kernel
    2.6.24-16-generic

    Ubuntu, as most distro's, will not use the latest kernel as they need
    time to check everything working together.

    There's nothing stopping you from compiling a kernel of your own, all
    the headers etc. are for a reason in the repositories.

    But you might run into issues when you try to do a regular update while
    running a newer kernel , things don't match any more.

  3. Re: kernel question?

    Jim Woodward wrote:
    > I just installed Ubuntu. I have used debian and compile my kernels.
    > The latest kernel is 2.6.24.5 and when I run uname -a
    > in ubuntu, I get 2.6.24.16
    > Can u explain this?
    >
    > Also, can I still compile my own kernels?
    >
    > Thanks

    2.6.24.5?

    Take a look at http://kernel.org where up to 2.6.25 is listed

    --
    John

  4. Re: kernel question?

    On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 15:38:02 -0400, Jim Woodward wrote:

    > I just installed Ubuntu. I have used debian and compile my kernels. The
    > latest kernel is 2.6.24.5 and when I run uname -a
    > in ubuntu, I get 2.6.24.16
    > Can u explain this?
    >
    > Also, can I still compile my own kernels?
    >
    > Thanks

    If you have a history of compiling kernels from source as you imply.....
    why the hell would you ask this?

  5. Re: kernel question?

    On 2008-04-29, Neil Wallace hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 15:38:02 -0400, Jim Woodward wrote:
    >
    >> I just installed Ubuntu. I have used debian and compile my kernels. The
    >> latest kernel is 2.6.24.5 and when I run uname -a
    >> in ubuntu, I get 2.6.24.16
    >> Can u explain this?
    >>
    >> Also, can I still compile my own kernels?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > If you have a history of compiling kernels from source as you imply.....
    > why the hell would you ask this?

    Well I too run into some problem, as I recently compiled a
    Kernel. It seems one has to create initrd.img by hand, in
    Ubuntu 7.10, using f.e. "yaird". Didn't bother to check
    further, but it seems my none-SCSI drives are seen as
    "SCSI", and I'd have to edit /etc/fstab.

    But you are right, if some-one used to run Debian and
    compiled Kernels in the past as the OP claims, then indeed
    he must know which steps he must take to get it installed.

    After I made the switch to Ubuntu from Debian, I experienced
    quite a few "kernel panics", related to a missing
    initrd.img.

    Unless the newer version don't need initrd.img. I don't mind
    if you could shed some light on this.

    Dragomir Kollaric