xmms -> xmms2: useless - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on xmms -> xmms2: useless - Ubuntu ; New Ubuntu upgrades xmms to xmms2 which is useless. The GUI does not allow simple play from directories, rather bunching everything together in a useless playlist. I don't know what happens to item sym#1 in Brahms directory and another from ...

  1. xmms -> xmms2: useless

    New Ubuntu upgrades xmms to xmms2 which is useless. The GUI does not
    allow simple play from directories, rather bunching everything together
    in a useless playlist. I don't know what happens to item sym#1 in
    Brahms directory and another from Mahler. Going back to using ogg123
    and mpg123 which are linked to MC (Midnite Commander).

    Any thing else out there to xmms that will do a similar job?

  2. Re: xmms -> xmms2: useless

    George wrote:
    > New Ubuntu upgrades xmms to xmms2 which is useless. The GUI does not
    > allow simple play from directories, rather bunching everything together
    > in a useless playlist. I don't know what happens to item sym#1 in
    > Brahms directory and another from Mahler. Going back to using ogg123
    > and mpg123 which are linked to MC (Midnite Commander).
    >
    > Any thing else out there to xmms that will do a similar job?

    There should be a command-line program to call xmms. Not sure
    about xmms2.

    http://www.google.com.hk/search?q=xm...ient=firefox-a

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.10) Linux 2.6.25

  3. Re: xmms -> xmms2: useless

    George wrote:
    > New Ubuntu upgrades xmms to xmms2 which is useless. The GUI does not
    > allow simple play from directories, rather bunching everything together
    > in a useless playlist. I don't know what happens to item sym#1 in
    > Brahms directory and another from Mahler. Going back to using ogg123
    > and mpg123 which are linked to MC (Midnite Commander).
    >
    > Any thing else out there to xmms that will do a similar job?

    Have you tried Audacious?

    Alias

  4. Re: xmms -> xmms2: useless

    Audacious looks very good, THANKS. It is always good, but simple GUI as
    well as my alternative MC feeding into ogg123 and mpg123.

    Alias wrote:
    > George wrote:
    >> New Ubuntu upgrades xmms to xmms2 which is useless. The GUI does not
    >> allow simple play from directories, rather bunching everything
    >> together in a useless playlist. I don't know what happens to item
    >> sym#1 in Brahms directory and another from Mahler. Going back to
    >> using ogg123 and mpg123 which are linked to MC (Midnite Commander).
    >>
    >> Any thing else out there to xmms that will do a similar job?

    > Have you tried Audacious?
    >
    > Alias

  5. Re: xmms -> xmms2: useless

    On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 11:29:56 -0400
    George wrote:

    > Audacious looks very good, THANKS. It is always good, but simple GUI
    > as well as my alternative MC feeding into ogg123 and mpg123.
    >

    > Alias wrote:
    > > George wrote:
    > >> New Ubuntu upgrades xmms to xmms2 which is useless. The GUI does
    > >> not allow simple play from directories, rather bunching everything
    > >> together in a useless playlist. I don't know what happens to item
    > >> sym#1 in Brahms directory and another from Mahler. Going back to
    > >> using ogg123 and mpg123 which are linked to MC (Midnite Commander).
    > >>
    > >> Any thing else out there to xmms that will do a similar job?

    > > Have you tried Audacious?
    > >
    > > Alias

    Yes, I switched to Audacious. The skin can be changed to make it look
    like good old Xmms.

+ Reply to Thread