Updated slrn page - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Updated slrn page - Ubuntu ; Hi, I have updated the Ubuntu Forums slrn walkthrough to include the news that Thomas Wiegner has established Ubuntu Repositories for the newest slrn versions: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=475246 This means that Gutsy and Hardy users can now get the latest slrn through ...

  1. Updated slrn page

    Hi,

    I have updated the Ubuntu Forums slrn walkthrough to include the news
    that Thomas Wiegner has established Ubuntu Repositories for the newest
    slrn versions:

    This means that Gutsy and Hardy users can now get the latest slrn
    through the Ubuntu package management system.

    Andrew

    --
    http://www.andrews-corner.org

  2. Re: Updated slrn page

    andrew wrote in news:20080428164429.891
    @skamandros.andrews-corner.org:

    > This means that Gutsy and Hardy users can now get the latest slrn
    > through the Ubuntu package management system.

    When will it become GUI? I tried many times to make slrn work for me. It
    always forgot settings, or found some other way to make me hate it. It's
    inherently stupid. Don't call me a Wintard - most other Linux users use Pan
    or something else ripped off from a Windows app. I'm a long time Windows
    user who loves Xnews, which will not run decently in WINE, but which is
    everything that slrn wants to be.

    Make the thing easier to use, and more people will use it. The lack of a
    decent newsreader in Linux is the only thing that prevents me from using it
    full time. Don't flame - people don't want command line programs any more.
    This is the 21st Century. I had slrn set up exactly right, and the next
    time I logged into Ubuntu, it had forgotten everything I had taught it.

    I hate Pan, as I hated it's Windows predecessor, Agent. It comes close to
    being Xnews, but stops just short when you are looking for some trusted
    Xnews function that isn't there.

    slrn needs to be brought into the 21st century, not the 1990s.

  3. Re: Updated slrn page

    On 2008-04-28, elaich wrote:
    > andrew wrote in news:20080428164429.891
    > @skamandros.andrews-corner.org:
    >
    >> This means that Gutsy and Hardy users can now get the latest slrn
    >> through the Ubuntu package management system.

    > When will it become GUI? I tried many times to make slrn work for me. It
    > always forgot settings, or found some other way to make me hate it. It's
    > inherently stupid. Don't call me a Wintard - most other Linux users use Pan
    > or something else ripped off from a Windows app. I'm a long time Windows
    > user who loves Xnews, which will not run decently in WINE, but which is
    > everything that slrn wants to be.

    I suspect that slrn will never become a gui and this has never been on
    the agenda at any time. And I agree with you totally, most Linux users
    will use Pan rather than slrn, or Sylpheed or Thunderbird etc. But
    those who spend the required time learning slrn find a rich reward and
    an unique Usenet experience.(BTW I think 'wintard' is an insult used
    by another!)

    > Make the thing easier to use, and more people will use it. The lack of a
    > decent newsreader in Linux is the only thing that prevents me from using it
    > full time. Don't flame - people don't want command line programs any more.
    > This is the 21st Century. I had slrn set up exactly right, and the next
    > time I logged into Ubuntu, it had forgotten everything I had taught it.

    I would disagree with making the program easier to use, I believe
    strongly that the answer is rather to provide decent documentation and
    walk-throughs to allow users to get at least a start with the program.
    I do not stand on the sidelines with this, I actively maintain 2 such
    pages:

    http://www.andrews-corner.org/slrn.html

    I believe that you are mistaken when you say that people don't want
    command line programs any more. slrn in particular is growing again
    under John E Davis and picking up new enthusiastic recruits all the
    time.

    On a side note it puzzles me a little that you lost all your settings.
    These are contained within a single configuraion file: .slrnrc. If you
    were ever keen to try again this problem should have an easy solution.
    As for flaming, this is not really my style :-)

    > I hate Pan, as I hated it's Windows predecessor, Agent. It comes close to
    > being Xnews, but stops just short when you are looking for some trusted
    > Xnews function that isn't there.

    A news reader is a personal choice, I hope you eventually find a linux
    one that you are happy with!

    > slrn needs to be brought into the 21st century, not the 1990s.

    It is on the way :-)

    Andrew.

    --
    http://www.andrews-corner.org

  4. Re: Updated slrn page

    On 2008-04-28, elaich wrote:
    > andrew wrote in news:20080428164429.891
    > @skamandros.andrews-corner.org:
    >
    >> This means that Gutsy and Hardy users can now get the latest slrn
    >> through the Ubuntu package management system.

    > When will it become GUI? I tried many times to make slrn work for me. It
    > always forgot settings, or found some other way to make me hate it. It's
    > inherently stupid.

    It does have a learning curve. For some weird controls vi takes the cake,
    yet it still exists and works very well for those who know the key commands.

    slrn does have a GUI, there are windows.

    What I like about it is its speed and not having to get OSS with the mouse.
    Know the keys and there is no poiting and clicking, just some key strokes
    which come without even thinking about doing it.

    Newsgroups is ASCII, and as such fancy GUI is not required, in fact it is a
    detraction. Trying to read some web forums just makes me long for something
    fast and plain text so I can read it easily.

  5. Re: Updated slrn page

    In <20080428184250.221@skamandros.andrews-corner.org> andrew:

    [Snip...]

    > I believe that you are mistaken when you say that people don't want
    > command line programs any more

    FWIW, I certainly prefer CLI myself, and I am certainly not alone in that
    personal preference. But I don't get overwrought about CLI, or making the
    world "safe" for/from it.

    I'm running X under twm, right now doing slrn, and mail on Pine and Gmail
    with w3m. In fact, the only GUI up on my desktop is the monitor app for a
    Belkin UPS; the rest are CLI in xterms.

    I use GUIs like Firefox if that's the better tool for the particular task
    at hand, like online banking and other typically GUI-oriented designs.

    To me, it's all about information, and form following function.

    IMO, those whining about CLI have too much time on their hands.

    JMO; YMMV...

    I toss GoogleGroup posts from gitgo (http://improve-usenet.org).

  6. Re: Updated slrn page

    On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 08:27:26 +0000, elaich wrote:

    >> This means that Gutsy and Hardy users can now get the latest slrn
    >> through the Ubuntu package management system.

    > When will it become GUI? I tried many times to make slrn work for me. It
    > always forgot settings, or found some other way to make me hate it. It's
    > inherently stupid.

    It already runs as a GUI application, you ignorant stooge. A program
    can't be "stupid", only a user can. Such as yourself.

    > Don't call me a Wintard - most other Linux users use Pan

    OK, you're a Win-droid then.

    What a ****ing galoot. Linux newsreaders are as good as they get.

    > slrn needs to be brought into the 21st century, not the 1990s.

    Just stick with Windoze, you lazy ignorant ****.

    Oh, yeah. You already do. What are you doing here, dickmunch?

  7. Re: Updated slrn page

    Dan C illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 08:27:26 +0000, elaich wrote:
    >
    >>> This means that Gutsy and Hardy users can now get the latest slrn
    >>> through the Ubuntu package management system.

    >> When will it become GUI? I tried many times to make slrn work for me. It
    >> always forgot settings, or found some other way to make me hate it. It's
    >> inherently stupid.

    > It already runs as a GUI application, you ignorant stooge. A program
    > can't be "stupid", only a user can. Such as yourself.
    >
    >> Don't call me a Wintard - most other Linux users use Pan

    > OK, you're a Win-droid then.
    >
    >> Make the thing easier to use, and more people will use it. The lack of a
    >> decent newsreader in Linux is the only thing that prevents me from using it
    >> full time.

    > What a ****ing galoot. Linux newsreaders are as good as they get.
    >
    >> slrn needs to be brought into the 21st century, not the 1990s.

    > Just stick with Windoze, you lazy ignorant ****.

    > Oh, yeah. You already do. What are you doing here, dickmunch?

    Heh. Look. Dan's back and on top form.

    --
    Moog

    "The G is for the gnarled face of someone who's on ninety thousand
    pounds a week who reckoned he should have had a throw in"

  8. Re: Updated slrn page

    In alt.os.linux.ubuntu on 28 Apr 2008 08:27:26 GMT, elaich
    wrote:

    > andrew wrote in news:20080428164429.891
    > @skamandros.andrews-corner.org:
    >
    >> This means that Gutsy and Hardy users can now get the latest slrn
    >> through the Ubuntu package management system.

    > When will it become GUI?

    Probably never, unless somebody with the necessary skills chooses to
    do the necessary work. Personally, I think it would make more sense to
    add some of slrn's advanced features to existing GUI newsreaders such
    as KNode or Pan; existing slrn users seem to be satisfied with the
    existing UI.

    > I tried many times to make slrn work for me. It
    > always forgot settings, or found some other way to make me hate it. It's
    > inherently stupid.

    My experiences with slrn have been very different from yours.

    > Don't call me a Wintard - most other Linux users use Pan
    > or something else ripped off from a Windows app. I'm a long time Windows
    > user who loves Xnews, which will not run decently in WINE, but which is
    > everything that slrn wants to be.

    Apart from the GUI, what features of XNews would you like to see in
    slrn?

    > Make the thing easier to use, and more people will use it.

    I already find slrn easy to use. Of course, I had to learn how to use
    it first, which took time, but there's more information for new users
    available than there used to be, and the people who provide such
    information are always interested in feedback.

    > The lack of a
    > decent newsreader in Linux is the only thing that prevents me from using it
    > full time. Don't flame - people don't want command line programs any more.
    > This is the 21st Century. I had slrn set up exactly right, and the next
    > time I logged into Ubuntu, it had forgotten everything I had taught it.

    I wonder if perhaps you set an environment variable temporarily
    instead of permanently?

    > I hate Pan, as I hated it's Windows predecessor, Agent. It comes close to
    > being Xnews, but stops just short when you are looking for some trusted
    > Xnews function that isn't there.

    Have you requested extra features from the Pan developers?

    > slrn needs to be brought into the 21st century, not the 1990s.

    Many slrn users would disagree.

    --
    PJR :-)

+ Reply to Thread