Samba config? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Samba config? - Ubuntu ; (Newbie OK!...) Just put Hardy on new toy - a cheapie laptop for videos/sounds/surfing away from home. (HP G7000 Celeron 1.7, 1GB) Installation - No Problem :-) Wireless... Unsupported card. Connected after three hours! But that's OK, I'm learning. (Though ...

  1. Samba config?

    (Newbie OK!...)

    Just put Hardy on new toy - a cheapie laptop for videos/sounds/surfing away
    from home.
    (HP G7000 Celeron 1.7, 1GB)

    Installation - No Problem :-)

    Wireless... Unsupported card. Connected after three hours! But that's OK,
    I'm learning.
    (Though at home I use wired connection.)

    Networking - Got it to show the two other machines on my home windows
    network and just once the shared folders but could not get inside them.
    However now I can only get to see the other machines and can't get beyond
    that. I can't see the folders any more.

    So I tried the other way and the windows network can see the Ubunto shared
    folder I made. But I still can't get the laptop to see the windows machines
    shared ones.

    I've tried several configurations of the smb.conf from forums but no luck.
    I've gone back to the original version. No luck.
    I've uninstalled and reinstalled it, again no luck.

    I've Googled this to death but most of the advice refers to earlier versions
    so I'm a bit nervous about copying and pasting whole configs directly.

    Any thoughts or pointers?

    TIA
    Slatts

  2. Re: Samba config?

    Sla#s wrote:
    > Networking - Got it to show the two other machines on my home windows
    > network and just once the shared folders but could not get inside them.
    > However now I can only get to see the other machines and can't get beyond
    > that. I can't see the folders any more.

    Be precise.

    How/what exactly are you trying.
    What are your errors.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  3. Re: Samba config?

    johnny bobby bee wrote:
    > Sla#s wrote:
    >> Networking - Got it to show the two other machines on my home windows
    >> network and just once the shared folders but could not get inside
    >> them. However now I can only get to see the other machines and can't
    >> get beyond that. I can't see the folders any more.

    > Be precise.
    >
    > How/what exactly are you trying.

    I am trying to see the files within the shared folders on my home network
    that has two other PCs both running Windows XP OSs from an HP G7000 laptop
    running Ubuntu 8.04 by going "Places > Network".
    The Windows network runs without errors and both Windows machines can see
    each other's shared folders and both can open the Ubuntu shared folder and
    see the files in it.

    > What are your errors.

    'Network' window opens in which the 'Windows Network' icon appears. When I
    open that I see the icons, with the correct machine names, of the two other
    machines on the network but when I try to "open" them the rotating circular
    'wait' mouse pointer comes on for about 40 sec then returns to the normal
    pointer but no shared folders appear in the window.
    No error messages appear.

    The HP Laptop connects to the network without errors by either wire or
    wireless.

    To summarise - Windows can see the Ubuntu shared folder but Ubuntu can't see
    anything of the windows shared folders.

    Do you want me to post 'testparm'? It does not mention any errors that I can
    see...

    Slatts

  4. Re: Samba config?

    Sla#s wrote:
    > 'Network' window opens in which the 'Windows Network' icon appears. When I
    > open that I see the icons, with the correct machine names, of the two other
    > machines on the network but when I try to "open" them the rotating circular
    > 'wait' mouse pointer comes on for about 40 sec then returns to the normal
    > pointer but no shared folders appear in the window.
    > No error messages appear.

    The switch to gvfs in nautilus may have broken smb in nautilus, for the
    time being. I remember seeing some bugs in launchpad. Try something else
    like smb4k to connect. See if that helps.

    See if you can indeed verify the shares. In Terminal:
    smclient -U your-windows-username -L IP-address-of-windowsPC

    --Benjamin Franklin

  5. Re: Samba config?

    johnny bobby bee wrote:
    > Sla#s wrote:
    >> 'Network' window opens in which the 'Windows Network' icon appears.
    >> When I open that I see the icons, with the correct machine names, of
    >> the two other machines on the network but when I try to "open" them
    >> the rotating circular 'wait' mouse pointer comes on for about 40 sec
    >> then returns to the normal pointer but no shared folders appear in
    >> the window.
    >> No error messages appear.

    > The switch to gvfs in nautilus may have broken smb in nautilus, for
    > the time being. I remember seeing some bugs in launchpad. Try
    > something else like smb4k to connect. See if that helps.
    >
    > See if you can indeed verify the shares. In Terminal:
    > smclient -U your-windows-username -L IP-address-of-windowsPC

    That did it - all shared folders and their files are now visable in smb4k.

    Thanks for the help

    Slatts

  6. Re: Samba config?

    Sla#s wrote:
    > (Newbie OK!...)
    >
    > Just put Hardy on new toy - a cheapie laptop for videos/sounds/surfing away
    > from home.
    > (HP G7000 Celeron 1.7, 1GB)
    >
    > Installation - No Problem :-)
    >
    > Wireless... Unsupported card. Connected after three hours! But that's OK,
    > I'm learning.
    > (Though at home I use wired connection.)
    >
    > Networking - Got it to show the two other machines on my home windows
    > network and just once the shared folders but could not get inside them.
    > However now I can only get to see the other machines and can't get beyond
    > that. I can't see the folders any more.
    >
    > So I tried the other way and the windows network can see the Ubunto shared
    > folder I made. But I still can't get the laptop to see the windows machines
    > shared ones.
    >
    > I've tried several configurations of the smb.conf from forums but no luck.
    > I've gone back to the original version. No luck.
    > I've uninstalled and reinstalled it, again no luck.
    >
    > I've Googled this to death but most of the advice refers to earlier versions
    > so I'm a bit nervous about copying and pasting whole configs directly.
    >
    > Any thoughts or pointers?
    >
    > TIA
    > Slatts

    Hi. Not 100% sure I am getting what you mean, but I've recently had some
    issues setting up some Ub-v-M$ networking. First of all, much of the
    googled advice was not much help as it differed from what is on the ground
    in Ubunutu. Watch for password issues because of tdbsam - just stick that
    in the back of your mind for now,in case it crops up as an issue.

    I think you are saying that you can see the samba share ok from M$, but
    not the other way around?

    My first question would be have you set up windows file sharing and are you
    sure that it is working?

    The next stage for me would be to open a command prompt and issue the
    this command:

    smbclient -L //host_name_of_windows_pc -U User_name_on_that_windows_pc [enter]
    It will then prompt you for the windows password and if all is working OK
    you will see a list of 'shares' on that windows PC.

    If that fail, issue the same command with the IP address of the windows pc
    instead of the name.

    The one 'watch out' I would be aware of is samba interfering with the election
    of a master windows browser if the settings in the smb.conf file are incorrect.
    Perhaps one of the more experienced guru's here will have more as I'm a
    newbie myself.

  7. Re: Samba config?

    root wrote:
    > Sla#s wrote:
    >> (Newbie OK!...)

    Note - The network works fine now in Smb4k - see reply to previous post.

    Slatts

+ Reply to Thread