Re: Thank you, Canonical Ltd. for Hardy Heron - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: Thank you, Canonical Ltd. for Hardy Heron - Ubuntu ; >nospam >I hope that some of you who work for Canonical Ltd., developing this >wonderful Linux operating system called Ubuntu *Sigh*. I really wish the Ubuntu folks would actually learn something about Linux, GNU, Gnome, KDE, and the myriad of ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

  1. Re: Thank you, Canonical Ltd. for Hardy Heron

    >nospam
    >I hope that some of you who work for Canonical Ltd., developing this
    >wonderful Linux operating system called Ubuntu

    *Sigh*. I really wish the Ubuntu folks would actually learn something about
    Linux, GNU, Gnome, KDE, and the myriad of open source app developers out there,
    as well as the existence of other distros, so that these Ubuntu folks don't
    keep giving credit to Canonical for things it hasn't done, and overhyping
    Ubuntu as if it's Linux.

    Canonical doesn't develop an "operating system". The Linux OS is developed by a
    group who have no connections to Canonical. We call this group "the kernel
    developers". Most all of the other parts of Ubuntu, for example, its
    GUI/desktop, and the vast quantity of software in its repos, are also done by
    other folks who aren't Canonical employees.

    What Canonical offers is called a "linux distribution". Canonical does what the
    vast majority of other Linux distros do, which is to collect the various open
    source software made by numerous third parties (ie, open source developers),
    and put it all into one CDROM with an installer and package manager (which BTW,
    were also not made by Canonical).

    >invent a way in which I can use all the Windows software
    >such as Photoshop and Lightroom

    I don't know if it can run those two particular packages, but there already is
    software that allows running Windows apps on Linux. It's called WINE, and it
    too, is yet another piece of software not made by Canonical. There is also a
    commercial version, made by the same folks, which has some extra support to run
    Windows game software.

  2. Re: Thank you, Canonical Ltd. for Hardy Heron

    Jeff Glatt wrote:
    >> nospam
    >> I hope that some of you who work for Canonical Ltd., developing this
    >> wonderful Linux operating system called Ubuntu

    > *Sigh*. I really wish the Ubuntu folks would actually learn something about
    > Linux, GNU, Gnome, KDE, and the myriad of open source app developers out there,
    > as well as the existence of other distros, so that these Ubuntu folks don't
    > keep giving credit to Canonical for things it hasn't done, and overhyping
    > Ubuntu as if it's Linux.
    >
    > Canonical doesn't develop an "operating system". The Linux OS is developed by a
    > group who have no connections to Canonical. We call this group "the kernel
    > developers". Most all of the other parts of Ubuntu, for example, its
    > GUI/desktop, and the vast quantity of software in its repos, are also done by
    > other folks who aren't Canonical employees.
    >
    > What Canonical offers is called a "linux distribution". Canonical does what the
    > vast majority of other Linux distros do, which is to collect the various open
    > source software made by numerous third parties (ie, open source developers),
    > and put it all into one CDROM with an installer and package manager (which BTW,
    > were also not made by Canonical).
    >
    >> invent a way in which I can use all the Windows software
    >> such as Photoshop and Lightroom

    > I don't know if it can run those two particular packages, but there already is
    > software that allows running Windows apps on Linux. It's called WINE, and it
    > too, is yet another piece of software not made by Canonical. There is also a
    > commercial version, made by the same folks, which has some extra support to run
    > Windows game software.

    Hey Jeff why don't you go stick you're head in your toilet until you can
    come up with something new? I figure we will never hear from you again.
    :0
    caver1

  3. Re: Thank you, Canonical Ltd. for Hardy Heron

    On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 18:51:23 -0400, Jeff Glatt wrote:

    > Canonical doesn't develop an "operating system". The Linux OS is
    > developed by a group who have no connections to Canonical. We call this
    > group "the kernel developers".

    It seems that you don't quite grasp the difference between an operating
    system kernel and the operating system itself.

    Rui Maciel

  4. Re: Thank you, Canonical Ltd. for Hardy Heron

    I would like to respectfully disagree with you.

    Free software developers write individual pieces of free software,
    such as kernel, firefox, openoffice, mysql, bash, aptitude etc.

    Then Canonical packages these things together, and creates the
    operating system.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  5. Re: Thank you, Canonical Ltd. for Hardy Heron

    Jeff Glatt wrote:
    >> nospam
    >> I hope that some of you who work for Canonical Ltd., developing this
    >> wonderful Linux operating system called Ubuntu
    >>

    > *Sigh*. I really wish the Ubuntu folks would actually learn something about
    > Linux, GNU, Gnome, KDE, and the myriad of open source app developers out there,
    > as well as the existence of other distros, so that these Ubuntu folks don't
    > keep giving credit to Canonical for things it hasn't done, and overhyping
    > Ubuntu as if it's Linux.

    *Sigh*

    I stopped reading your expert opinion when I noticed your spelling of GNOME.

    Then I checked to see what you are using to post your expert opinions.

    Your credibility leaves a lot to be desired.

    --
    John

  6. Re: Thank you, Canonical Ltd. for Hardy Heron

    "Ignoramus30765" wrote in message
    news:5fydneyoqJ48r4jVnZ2dnUVZWhednZ2d@giganews.com ...
    > I would like to respectfully disagree with you.
    >
    > Free software developers write individual pieces of free software,
    > such as kernel, firefox, openoffice, mysql, bash, aptitude etc.
    >
    > Then Canonical packages these things together, and creates the
    > operating system.

    They create a distribution.
    The OS is a small part of what is on the CD, the majority is applications
    which run on the OS or in most cases other OSes.
    Even evolution mail runs under windows ya know.

  7. Re: Thank you, Canonical Ltd. for Hardy Heron

    dennis@home schreef:

    > They create a distribution.
    > The OS is a small part of what is on the CD, the majority is
    > applications which run on the OS or in most cases other OSes.
    > Even evolution mail runs under windows ya know.

    Actually, the OS - Operating System - is the kernel, and any application
    that allows you to use your computer to manage your files, use any
    attached hardware, and run other applications.

    No?

  8. Re: Thank you, Canonical Ltd. for Hardy Heron

    On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 02:58:02 +0000, John F. Morse wrote:

    > Jeff Glatt wrote:
    >>> nospam
    >>> I hope that some of you who work for Canonical Ltd., developing this
    >>> wonderful Linux operating system called Ubuntu
    >>>

    >> *Sigh*. I really wish the Ubuntu folks would actually learn something
    >> about Linux, GNU, Gnome, KDE, and the myriad of open source app
    >> developers out there, as well as the existence of other distros, so
    >> that these Ubuntu folks don't keep giving credit to Canonical for
    >> things it hasn't done, and overhyping Ubuntu as if it's Linux.

    > *Sigh*
    >
    > I stopped reading your expert opinion when I noticed your spelling of
    > GNOME.
    >
    > Then I checked to see what you are using to post your expert opinions.

    Also he uses X-No-Archive.

    > Your credibility leaves a lot to be desired.

    I went a few rounds with Glatt earlier and his style is so much like
    Snit's that I'm fairly sure they're both the same troll.

  9. Re: Thank you, Canonical Ltd. for Hardy Heron

    >>Canonical doesn't develop an "operating system". The Linux OS is
    >>developed by a group who have no connections to Canonical. We call this
    >>group "the kernel developers".

    >It seems that you don't quite grasp the difference between an operating
    >system kernel and the operating system itself.

    Well, the kernel folks did take a bit of GNU stuff to complete the operating
    system, but in fact, it _is_ an operating system. You're free to go to the
    kernel mailing lists and tell them otherwise, but you'll get flamed to hell and
    back.

  10. Re: Thank you, Canonical Ltd. for Hardy Heron

    >John F. Morse
    >I checked to see what you are using to post your expert opinions.

    If you spent less time reading headers, and instead read the content of posts,
    and actually had something to say about such, then your posts may become more
    informative.

  11. Re: Thank you, Canonical Ltd. for Hardy Heron

    >netcat
    >I went a few rounds with Glatt earlier

    Yes, and I quite handily countered the numerous illogical and erroneous
    arguments you made. Obviously, your idea of a "troll" is anyone who does that.

  12. Re: Thank you, Canonical Ltd. for Hardy Heron

    >caver1
    >Hey Jeff why don't you go stick you're head in your toilet until you can
    >come up with something new? I figure we will never hear from you again.

    I'll just highlight the above as testimony to the quality of debate from Ubuntu
    fanbois. It speaks for itself.

  13. Re: Thank you, Canonical Ltd. for Hardy Heron

    "Ignoramus30765" wrote in message
    news:5fydneyoqJ48r4jVnZ2dnUVZWhednZ2d@giganews.com ...
    >I would like to respectfully disagree with you.
    >
    > Free software developers write individual pieces of free software,
    > such as kernel, firefox, openoffice, mysql, bash, aptitude etc.
    >
    > Then Canonical packages these things together, and creates the
    > operating system.

    Debian already did that

  14. Re: Thank you, Canonical Ltd. for Hardy Heron

    "John F. Morse" wrote in message
    > Jeff Glatt wrote:
    >>> nospam
    >>> I hope that some of you who work for Canonical Ltd., developing this
    >>> wonderful Linux operating system called Ubuntu
    >>>

    >> *Sigh*. I really wish the Ubuntu folks would actually learn something
    >> about
    >> Linux, GNU, Gnome, KDE, and the myriad of open source app developers out
    >> there,
    >> as well as the existence of other distros, so that these Ubuntu folks
    >> don't
    >> keep giving credit to Canonical for things it hasn't done, and overhyping
    >> Ubuntu as if it's Linux.

    > *Sigh*
    >
    > I stopped reading your expert opinion when I noticed your spelling of
    > GNOME.
    >
    > Then I checked to see what you are using to post your expert opinions.
    >
    > Your credibility leaves a lot to be desired.

    At leas the has some credibility moron

  15. Re: Thank you, Canonical Ltd. for Hardy Heron

    Jeff Glatt illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>nospam
    >>I hope that some of you who work for Canonical Ltd., developing this
    >>wonderful Linux operating system called Ubuntu

    > *Sigh*. I really wish the Ubuntu folks would actually learn something about

    Oh. Hello again Jeff.

    I'm *still* surprised that you pop into this newsgroup. Isn't the Ubuntu
    distribution a little "overhyped" and "brown" for you?

    May I suggest a newsgroup more to your liking?
    alt.os.linux.debian is over ------------> there.

    Take care now and don't let the door hit your arse on the way out.

    HAND.

    --
    Moog

    "The G is for the gnarled face of someone who's on ninety thousand
    pounds a week who reckoned he should have had a throw in"

  16. Re: Thank you, Canonical Ltd. for Hardy Heron

    "TomB" wrote in message
    > dennis@home schreef:
    >
    >> They create a distribution.
    >> The OS is a small part of what is on the CD, the majority is applications
    >> which run on the OS or in most cases other OSes.
    >> Even evolution mail runs under windows ya know.

    > Actually, the OS - Operating System - is the kernel, and any application
    > that allows you to use your computer to manage your files, use any
    > attached hardware, and run other applications.
    >
    > No?

    No.
    You need more than the kernel to make linux into an OS.

  17. Re: Thank you, Canonical Ltd. for Hardy Heron

    Jeff Glatt wrote:
    >> John F. Morse
    >> I checked to see what you are using to post your expert opinions.
    >>

    > If you spent less time reading headers, and instead read the content of posts,
    > and actually had something to say about such, then your posts may become more
    > informative.

    Quote whatever makes you look good, Jeff.

    I already said it, but you forgot to quote the part which shows your
    continued ignorance in this latest message:

    "I stopped reading your expert opinion when I noticed your spelling of
    GNOME."

    Why do you come here using Windows? Is it to learn about Ubuntu, or is
    it to troll and try to stir up trouble?

    --
    John

  18. Re: Thank you, Canonical Ltd. for Hardy Heron

    Moog wrote:
    > Jeff Glatt illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >
    >>> nospam
    >>> I hope that some of you who work for Canonical Ltd., developing this
    >>> wonderful Linux operating system called Ubuntu
    >>>

    >> *Sigh*. I really wish the Ubuntu folks would actually learn something about
    >>

    > Oh. Hello again Jeff.
    >
    > I'm *still* surprised that you pop into this newsgroup. Isn't the Ubuntu
    > distribution a little "overhyped" and "brown" for you?
    >
    > May I suggest a newsgroup more to your liking?
    > alt.os.linux.debian is over ------------> there.
    >
    > Take care now and don't let the door hit your arse on the way out.
    >
    > HAND.

    It appears that the Windroids are all upset because there is a brand new
    Ubuntu release, and they are still stuck with broken Vista, unless they
    want to run a dead OS which is six years old, or older.

    If they would spend their bloody flaming and trolling time learning
    something, they'd eventually become productive people.

    I think.

    --
    John

  19. Re: Thank you, Canonical Ltd. for Hardy Heron

    >>>John F. Morse
    >>>I checked to see what you are using to post your expert opinions.

    >> If you spent less time reading headers, and instead read the content of posts,
    >> and actually had something to say about such, then your posts may become more
    >> informative.

    >Quote whatever makes you look good, Jeff.

    If your above quote makes me look good, then you have no one but yourself to
    blame for responding to a serious post with such a silly, frivolous, off-topic
    comment. Perhaps you should consider not posting such things.

  20. Re: Thank you, Canonical Ltd. for Hardy Heron

    On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 21:25:41 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

    > "TomB" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Actually, the OS - Operating System - is the kernel, and any
    >> application that allows you to use your computer to manage your files,
    >> use any attached hardware, and run other applications.
    >>
    >> No?

    > No.
    > You need more than the kernel to make linux into an OS.

    but that's what he said. I think the comma after kernel is the confusion.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast