8.08: Where is VMWARE-Server - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on 8.08: Where is VMWARE-Server - Ubuntu ; In Gutsy, I used VMWARE server to run one or two programs not available in Linux. I just installed Kubuntu Hardy, an see that WMWARE is not in the repo anymore. Does someone know if there is a repo to ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

  1. 8.08: Where is VMWARE-Server

    In Gutsy, I used VMWARE server to run one or two programs not available in
    Linux.
    I just installed Kubuntu Hardy, an see that WMWARE is not in the repo
    anymore.
    Does someone know if there is a repo to install WMWARE-server in Hardy, or
    suggest another way to get this installed ?

    --
    MarcB

  2. Re: 8.04 (oops a typo): Where is VMWARE-Server

    Sorry for the typo
    --
    MarcB

  3. Re: 8.08: Where is VMWARE-Server

    MarcB wrote:
    > In Gutsy, I used VMWARE server to run one or two programs not available in
    > Linux.
    > I just installed Kubuntu Hardy, an see that WMWARE is not in the repo
    > anymore.
    > Does someone know if there is a repo to install WMWARE-server in Hardy, or
    > suggest another way to get this installed ?

    Looks like VMware Server is still available from vmware.com. Why not
    just download it from there?

    jeff

  4. Re: 8.08: Where is VMWARE-Server

    VirtualBox from InnoTek is maybe a good idea for you!?!

    S.Woitas

  5. Re: 8.08: Where is VMWARE-Server

    S.Woitas wrote:

    > VirtualBox from InnoTek is maybe a good idea for you!?!
    >
    > S.Woitas

    Will I be able to use all my HW (USB, serial ports,...)
    Iread somewhere that this was not possible with virtualbox,
    but it may be in an older version ?
    --
    MarcB

  6. Re: 8.08: Where is VMWARE-Server

    MarcB illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > S.Woitas wrote:
    >
    >> VirtualBox from InnoTek is maybe a good idea for you!?!
    >>
    >> S.Woitas

    > Will I be able to use all my HW (USB, serial ports,...)
    > Iread somewhere that this was not possible with virtualbox,
    > but it may be in an older version ?

    Yes. Of course.
    You should also install the guest additions which gives you
    a lot more control.

    --
    Moog

    "The G is for the gnarled face of someone who's on ninety thousand
    pounds a week who reckoned he should have had a throw in"

  7. Re: 8.08: Where is VMWARE-Server

    Moog wrote:

    > MarcB illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> S.Woitas wrote:
    >>
    >>> VirtualBox from InnoTek is maybe a good idea for you!?!
    >>>
    >>> S.Woitas

    >> Will I be able to use all my HW (USB, serial ports,...)
    >> Iread somewhere that this was not possible with virtualbox,
    >> but it may be in an older version ?

    > Yes. Of course.
    > You should also install the guest additions which gives you
    > a lot more control.

    I allready have a VM file created with VMWARE server.
    It would be nice if I could use this in Virtualbox, is this possible ?

    What is in fact the main difference between VMware server & Virtualbox,
    from a user point of view (HW access, performance)

    --
    MarcB

  8. Re: 8.08: Where is VMWARE-Server

    MarcB wrote:
    > S.Woitas wrote:
    >
    >> VirtualBox from InnoTek is maybe a good idea for you!?!
    >>
    >> S.Woitas

    > Will I be able to use all my HW (USB, serial ports,...)
    > Iread somewhere that this was not possible with virtualbox,
    > but it may be in an older version ?

    I use serial port COM1 (/dev/ttyS0) with VirtualBox. Documentation isn't the most clear, so it took some experimentation. But it works fine.

  9. Re: 8.08: Where is VMWARE-Server

    Moog wrote:

    > Yes. Of course.
    > You should also install the guest additions which gives you
    > a lot more control.

    Since you have my attention (again), let me ask you this:

    Yesterday I was checking the new upgrade of 6.06 to 8.04 via the
    Internet, to assist someone with their "upgrade" via Wubi (with which I
    have no experience). We got them going finally.

    If you remember from discussion about a year ago, I have a qemu virtual
    server on that box, with Windows 98SE as the test OS. Back then I just
    installed qemu to look it over, and the Windows 98SE CD happened to be
    handy.

    I have been unable to get a connection to my network from Windows, even
    though everything appears to be set up correctly.

    I have a local DNS server, so all of my computers have a hostname as
    well as a static IP, and this info is in the BIND9 DNS server's zone file.

    I tried using the same IP as the Ubuntu 8.04 OS, which does work fine,
    but the virtual Windows had no network activity.

    Then I tried giving Windows a slightly-different IP, and even a
    different hostname, and still no network. No pings. Nothing.

    It appears the network in the virtual Windows cannot travel through the
    real Ubuntu host OS to the NIC.

    Perhaps this is some configuration in qemu (I haven't a clue since I
    have not even looked), but your talk of VMWare and VirtualBox made me
    wonder if they can "connect" out of the box. And what do they use for an
    IP, a different one than their host OS, or the same?

    --
    John

  10. Re: 8.08: Where is VMWARE-Server

    John F. Morse illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > Perhaps this is some configuration in qemu (I haven't a clue since I
    > have not even looked), but your talk of VMWare and VirtualBox made me
    > wonder if they can "connect" out of the box. And what do they use for an
    > IP, a different one than their host OS, or the same?

    Yes. Virtualbox does work directly out of the box. It uses NAT
    addressing although that's not ideal if you want to do home
    networking.

    The way to set up virtualbox for real networking is to install a tap
    interface and bridge it to your main interface
    http://samiux.wordpress.com/2007/07/...on-virtualbox/

    It looks an awful lot harder to do than it actually is.

    --
    Moog

    "The G is for the gnarled face of someone who's on ninety thousand
    pounds a week who reckoned he should have had a throw in"

  11. Re: 8.08: Where is VMWARE-Server

    MarcB illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >
    >> MarcB illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> Will I be able to use all my HW (USB, serial ports,...)
    >>> Iread somewhere that this was not possible with virtualbox,
    >>> but it may be in an older version ?

    >> Yes. Of course.
    >> You should also install the guest additions which gives you
    >> a lot more control.
    >>

    > I allready have a VM file created with VMWARE server.
    > It would be nice if I could use this in Virtualbox, is this possible ?

    I've successfully don e that with a Virtual XP. This was a while back
    under Dapper.

    This page has some tips
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuMagazi...Qemu_+_VdiTool

    > What is in fact the main difference between VMware server & Virtualbox,
    > from a user point of view (HW access, performance)

    Virtualbox, IMHO, is far easier to use, easier to network with, allows
    c&p between guest and host (a little flaky but works OK for me),
    switches USB devices between guest and host "on the fly", has a shared
    folder implementation that works well, manages virtual disks in a
    better way.

    My opinion of course, but VMware gave me a few problems. Currupted
    ..vmdk's for instance and struggling to create a proper network between
    machines. There are many that swear by VMware though (a few in here),
    so you may want to take my comments with a pinch of salt.

    I must stress, that if you're happy with VMWare, then why change?
    Although, Virtualbox has been very successful for me.

    --
    Moog

    "The G is for the gnarled face of someone who's on ninety thousand
    pounds a week who reckoned he should have had a throw in"

  12. Re: 8.08: Where is VMWARE-Server

    On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 23:23:54 +0200, MarcB wrote:

    > Moog wrote:
    >
    >> MarcB illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> Will I be able to use all my HW (USB, serial ports,...) Iread
    >>> somewhere that this was not possible with virtualbox, but it may be in
    >>> an older version ?

    >> Yes. Of course.
    >> You should also install the guest additions which gives you a lot more
    >> control.
    >>

    > I allready have a VM file created with VMWARE server. It would be nice
    > if I could use this in Virtualbox, is this possible ?
    >
    > What is in fact the main difference between VMware server & Virtualbox,
    > from a user point of view (HW access, performance)

    Just download VMware from the VMware site, don't bother trying to switch
    to another VM system. BTW beta 2 for VMware Server 2.0 is pretty good.
    VMware 2 supports 8G VMs vs 3.6G on VMware 1 and a pathetic 2G on
    VirtualBox.

  13. Re: 8.08: Where is VMWARE-Server

    Moog wrote:
    > John F. Morse illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >

    >> Perhaps this is some configuration in qemu (I haven't a clue since I
    >> have not even looked), but your talk of VMWare and VirtualBox made me
    >> wonder if they can "connect" out of the box. And what do they use for an
    >> IP, a different one than their host OS, or the same?
    >>

    > Yes. Virtualbox does work directly out of the box. It uses NAT
    > addressing although that's not ideal if you want to do home
    > networking.
    >
    > The way to set up virtualbox for real networking is to install a tap
    > interface and bridge it to your main interface
    > http://samiux.wordpress.com/2007/07/...on-virtualbox/
    >
    > It looks an awful lot harder to do than it actually is.

    Noted and saved. Thanks.

    Now for the round-tuit part....

    --
    John

  14. Re: 8.08: Where is VMWARE-Server

    On 2008-04-30, Moog wrote:
    > John F. Morse illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >

    >> Perhaps this is some configuration in qemu (I haven't a clue since I
    >> have not even looked), but your talk of VMWare and VirtualBox made me
    >> wonder if they can "connect" out of the box. And what do they use for an
    >> IP, a different one than their host OS, or the same?

    > Yes. Virtualbox does work directly out of the box. It uses NAT
    > addressing although that's not ideal if you want to do home
    > networking.
    >
    > The way to set up virtualbox for real networking is to install a tap
    > interface and bridge it to your main interface
    > http://samiux.wordpress.com/2007/07/...on-virtualbox/
    >
    > It looks an awful lot harder to do than it actually is.

    While it's true that it is easier than it looks, this is one place
    where VMWare server has a distinct advantage, since bridged networking
    is installed by default.

    Also, I haven't seen a way to have the VM's in Virtualbox run without
    the frontend being open. With VMWare, you can have the VM's running
    at all times, without the interface open. I prefer that, as I may be
    running things that run all the time, and that allows me to open the
    frontend from work (nx) or from at home, in front of the box.

    Virtualbox has been running stable, and I have no solid complaints
    about it. I just kinda like the other one better... ;-)

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  15. Re: 8.08: Where is VMWARE-Server

    John F. Morse illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >> John F. Morse illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>

    >>> Perhaps this is some configuration in qemu (I haven't a clue since I
    >>> have not even looked), but your talk of VMWare and VirtualBox made me
    >>> wonder if they can "connect" out of the box. And what do they use for an
    >>> IP, a different one than their host OS, or the same?
    >>>

    >> Yes. Virtualbox does work directly out of the box. It uses NAT
    >> addressing although that's not ideal if you want to do home
    >> networking.
    >>
    >> The way to set up virtualbox for real networking is to install a tap
    >> interface and bridge it to your main interface
    >> http://samiux.wordpress.com/2007/07/...on-virtualbox/
    >>
    >> It looks an awful lot harder to do than it actually is.

    > Noted and saved. Thanks.

    NP

    > Now for the round-tuit part....

    That's even harder. My to-do list is growing by the minute

    --
    Moog

    "The G is for the gnarled face of someone who's on ninety thousand
    pounds a week who reckoned he should have had a throw in"

  16. Re: 8.08: Where is VMWARE-Server

    I guess I did not see an answer to the real question. What happend to
    VMware Server? Why didn't they put it in the 8.04 repository? VMware is
    the hottest thing virtualizationwise out there. I use it to run Winbloz
    when I have to use it. We need it. Who do we contact to get it added
    again and can we get an answer on why it was dropped?

  17. Re: 8.08: Where is VMWARE-Server

    On 2008-05-01, Hang_Traitor_Democrats wrote:
    > I guess I did not see an answer to the real question. What happend to
    > VMware Server? Why didn't they put it in the 8.04 repository? VMware is
    > the hottest thing virtualizationwise out there. I use it to run Winbloz
    > when I have to use it. We need it. Who do we contact to get it added
    > again and can we get an answer on why it was dropped?

    Your best bet for that would be the Ubuntuforums where the developers
    hang out. Also, you might try filing a launchpad report to get an
    answer.

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  18. Re: 8.08: Where is VMWARE-Server

    Joe illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On 2008-05-01, Hang_Traitor_Democrats wrote:
    >> I guess I did not see an answer to the real question. What happend to
    >> VMware Server? Why didn't they put it in the 8.04 repository? VMware is
    >> the hottest thing virtualizationwise out there. I use it to run Winbloz
    >> when I have to use it. We need it. Who do we contact to get it added
    >> again and can we get an answer on why it was dropped?

    > Your best bet for that would be the Ubuntuforums where the developers
    > hang out. Also, you might try filing a launchpad report to get an
    > answer.

    A quick google suggests that you are indeed correct.

    Also consider visiting the "Brainstorm" section of Ubuntu Launchpad

    --
    Moog

    "The G is for the gnarled face of someone who's on ninety thousand
    pounds a week who reckoned he should have had a throw in"

  19. Re: 8.08: Where is VMWARE-Server

    Hang_Traitor_Democrats wrote:
    .... VMware is
    > the hottest thing virtualizationwise out there.

    Hotter than Xen ?

    I haven't tried it, it could be crap, but it looks good.

    http://www.xen.org/

    --
    Wes Groleau
    "To know what you prefer, instead of humbly saying

  20. Re: 8.08: Where is VMWARE-Server

    MarcB wrote:

    > In Gutsy, I used VMWARE server to run one or two programs not available in
    > Linux.
    > I just installed Kubuntu Hardy, an see that WMWARE is not in the repo
    > anymore.

    I haven't looked at Hardy, but doesn't it use KVM for virtualization? I
    thought that was the way Hardy was going to use virtualization? One would
    need a CPU that supports it however.

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    How to get help at Microsoft Support ...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C2SIZ5qsSQ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast