Fun with upgrading - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Fun with upgrading - Ubuntu ; After a disastrous attempt at upgrading Ubuntu to Hardy Heron, my computer stalled (after restarting) at the loading screen, then show me what wasn't working. So I had to do a clean reinstall of Gutsy, wiping out all my data ...

  1. Fun with upgrading

    After a disastrous attempt at upgrading Ubuntu to Hardy Heron, my computer stalled (after restarting) at the loading screen, then show me what wasn't working. So I had to do a clean reinstall of Gutsy, wiping out all my data in the process (because I still haven't had the courage to try moving my /home/ directory to a separate partition).

    Things are working alright for the most part right now, but I have two nagging problems.

    1) After logging out, I'm taken to a blank screen with no login prompt (and yes I do have KDM installed). Basically, everytime I want to get back into my system, I have to do a hard restart.

    2) One of my first tasks upon completing the installation was to reinstall GNOME. This also went without much headache, though I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the window borders/controls to work.

    Thanks in advance for any help.

    --
    "The fact that a believer is happier than a sceptic is no more to
    the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a

  2. Re: Fun with upgrading

    Raoul Duke wrote:
    > After a disastrous attempt at upgrading Ubuntu to Hardy Heron, my computer stalled (after restarting) at the loading screen, then show me what wasn't working. So I had to do a clean reinstall of Gutsy, wiping out all my data in the process (because I still haven't had the courage to try moving my /home/ directory to a separate partition).
    >
    > Things are working alright for the most part right now, but I have two nagging problems.
    >
    > 1) After logging out, I'm taken to a blank screen with no login prompt (and yes I do have KDM installed). Basically, everytime I want to get back into my system, I have to do a hard restart.
    >
    > 2) One of my first tasks upon completing the installation was to reinstall GNOME. This also went without much headache, though I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the window borders/controls to work.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help.

    Raoul,
    do your self a favor (now that you've lost all your data doing a
    reinstall): Put /home on a separate partition!
    I've played with linux for a while now, and it seems all the distros
    have dumbed down partitioning to the point that all you see now is two
    partitions, / and swap. (Am I the only one who remembers a standard
    linux install having 5 partitions?) If you keep /home on a separate
    partition, you can blow away install after install, and never lose
    documents, application preferences, email, bookmarks.
    Save yourself aggravation down the road, and give /home its own partition.

    --

    Veritas vos Liberabit,
    David Burrows

  3. Re: Fun with upgrading

    On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 16:21:58 -0700, David's Inner Geek wrote:

    > Raoul Duke wrote:
    >> After a disastrous attempt at upgrading Ubuntu to Hardy Heron, my
    >> computer stalled (after restarting) at the loading screen, then show me
    >> what wasn't working. So I had to do a clean reinstall of Gutsy, wiping
    >> out all my data in the process (because I still haven't had the courage
    >> to try moving my /home/ directory to a separate partition).
    >>
    >> Things are working alright for the most part right now, but I have two
    >> nagging problems.
    >>
    >> 1) After logging out, I'm taken to a blank screen with no login prompt
    >> (and yes I do have KDM installed). Basically, everytime I want to get
    >> back into my system, I have to do a hard restart.
    >>
    >> 2) One of my first tasks upon completing the installation was to
    >> reinstall GNOME. This also went without much headache, though I can't
    >> for the life of me figure out how to get the window borders/controls to
    >> work.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance for any help.
    >>

    > Raoul,
    > do your self a favor (now that you've lost all your data doing a
    > reinstall): Put /home on a separate partition! I've played with linux
    > for a while now, and it seems all the distros have dumbed down
    > partitioning to the point that all you see now is two partitions, / and
    > swap. (Am I the only one who remembers a standard linux install having 5
    > partitions?) If you keep /home on a separate partition, you can blow
    > away install after install, and never lose documents, application
    > preferences, email, bookmarks. Save yourself aggravation down the road,
    > and give /home its own partition.

    I like to keep a separate /home partition and at least two system
    partitions. That way I always have a fully-configured installation at
    all times for getting important work done, and another where I can play
    with other distro's or install the latest Ubuntu version and take my
    time getting it fully configured to my liking before switching over.

+ Reply to Thread