unable to resolve host - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on unable to resolve host - Ubuntu ; I just installed Ubuntu 8.0.4 and was trying to install SAMBA according to the instructions. Every time I type anything beginning with SUDO I get the message: "unable to resolve host" followed by the computer name. What am I doing ...

  1. unable to resolve host

    I just installed Ubuntu 8.0.4 and was trying to install SAMBA
    according to the instructions. Every time I type anything beginning
    with SUDO I get the message:

    "unable to resolve host" followed by the computer name.

    What am I doing wrong?

  2. Re: unable to resolve host

    Op Sun, 27 Apr 2008 06:17:38 -0700, schreef Lowly Engineer:

    > I just installed Ubuntu 8.0.4 and was trying to install SAMBA according
    > to the instructions. Every time I type anything beginning with SUDO I
    > get the message:
    >
    > "unable to resolve host" followed by the computer name.
    >
    > What am I doing wrong?

    Check you're /etc/hosts, like in

    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ta/+bug/195308

    --
    /Jos

    Linux op mijn desktop - http://www.digiplace.nl

  3. Re: unable to resolve host

    On Sunday 27 Apr 2008 14:17 Lowly Engineer licked a pencil and jotted:

    > I just installed Ubuntu 8.0.4 and was trying to install SAMBA
    > according to the instructions.

    Whose? There are hundreds of guides on the net, can you post a link to the
    ones you are using?

    > Every time I type anything beginning
    > with SUDO I get the message:

    You are typing it as part of an instruction in a terminal aren't you?

    > "unable to resolve host" followed by the computer name.
    >

    > What am I doing wrong?

    Not sure without some more info. I am relative n00b too, but am pretty sure
    the more experienced users will need more info too to be able to help.

    David

    --
    Knowledge is of two kinds: we know a subject ourselves, or we know where we
    can find information upon it. (Samuel Johnson)

+ Reply to Thread